Sydney

Subsonic Music Festival 2013

Page 1 of 11
  Tools
JovanS +

Times thanked
< 109
Subsonic Music Festival 2013
So another year, another great festival was 2012's edition of Subsonic.

Who plans on going this year?

I guess start the assumptions of who will be on the bill this year & who we'd all love to see come & play.

My initial wish list are the following:

Henry Saiz
Michael Mayer
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
< 1,000
nice to see you getting in there early
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
JovanS +

Times thanked
< 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by pomrocks View Post

nice to see you getting in there early

I'm actually 2 months late based on last years thread lol.

Will have to check out your set this year beard.. missed it the past 2.
MongooseFiend +

Times thanked
< 432
Last year proved they can sell a few thousand tickets without booking many good artists at all so I don't exactly have faith they'll up things this year. Most people at the festival preferred to be at camp over the course of the weekend, a worrying trend for a young festival. That said I've heard of one big(ish) prog act maybe coming that would get ppl excited.

Perfect Stranger is in the country for Earthcore around that time, his genre defining live act would go some way towards getting me there.
https://soundcloud.com/perfect-stran...anger-live-303
jerry2234 +

Times thanked
< 43
^^^

Gotta say the vibe was down abit on the last two 2011 and 2012. But tad harsh on the line-up, they were competing with Eclipse this year and Strawberry as always. I think they did pretty well pulling together what they did and whilst maintaining that uniqueness to the line up that we've come to love Sub for. But I agree last year was lacking morning/daytime vibes a bit.
jordan__ +

Times thanked
< 1,905
Recently a bunch of my mates have gotten heaps into psytrance got a feeling they'll all be heading to Earthcore instead haha. I saw a photo on facebook of Earthcore main stage last year, pretty serious Funktion rack!

Missed last year, hopefully there's more bookings like Dasha Rush this year.
Channel Pulse #15 | Murky Territory

Anomaly

playing next at
/// 14th November, B2B Wax
/// 21st November, Gynoid Label Night with Jonas Kopp
/// 22nd November, radio show TBA
/// 13th December, Anomaly Locals Night feat. Mark Smith (Gardland/RVNG Intl)

debaser86 +

Times thanked
< 457

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerry2234 View Post

^^^

Gotta say the vibe was down abit on the last two 2011 and 2012. But tad harsh on the line-up, they were competing with Eclipse this year and Strawberry as always. I think they did pretty well pulling together what they did and whilst maintaining that uniqueness to the line up that we've come to love Sub for. But I agree last year was lacking morning/daytime vibes a bit.

They shouldn't compete with strawberry they should focus on getting the acts that strawberry being out if at all possible.
wilsonrob +

I am not bored

Times thanked
< 344
Bout time someone started this thread.

I agree that musically 2012 was not up there with the previous 2 but it was by far the best one for me for general good times. Cannot wait for Subsonic 2013.
jerry2234 +

Times thanked
< 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by debaser86 View Post

They shouldn't compete with strawberry they should focus on getting the acts that strawberry being out if at all possible.

The problem then becomes you have two festivals a week apart offering pretty similar experience with the same acts? I get the feeling that each festival would want to have it own identity which I think is a real strong motivation for the Subsonic team
jerry2234 +

Times thanked
< 43
Anywho more wishlist. I still reckon Shackleton on the River stage about 4 or 5am in the morning would be all kinds of dark and epic
turkman +

khlav kalash

Times thanked
< 1,438
There was and still is potential. There just needs to be a larger variety of music. Not just the same deep and tech house at every damn stage for the whole festival that shit get's stale quick.
Don't get me wrong I love my house but a larger spectrum of genres would be welcoming.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mashedman

if you stroke your chin hard enough i heard a genie comes out and gives you 3 track ids

turkman +

khlav kalash

Times thanked
< 1,438
If I'm not mistaken Secret Cinema played this last year -

Media Player

Quote:

Originally Posted by mashedman

if you stroke your chin hard enough i heard a genie comes out and gives you 3 track ids

jordan__ +

Times thanked
< 1,905
Just gona go ahead and post my wishlist from the Labyrinth thread any of these are good

Donato Dozzy
Peter Van Hoesen
Function
Regis
Vatican Shadow
Rodhad
Rrose
Abdulla Rashim
Polar Inertia
Claudio PRC
AnD
Surgeon

Anomaly

playing next at

pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
< 1,000

Quote:

Originally Posted by jordan__ View Post

Just gona go ahead and post my wishlist from the Labyrinth thread any of these are good

Donato Dozzy
Peter Van Hoesen
Rodhad
Rrose
Abdulla Rashim
Claudio PRC

and Petar Dundov please
Playing at;

SHRUG
JovanS +

Times thanked
< 109
It was pretty warm weather on the Friday & Saturday days, especially the Saturday which probably kept most people away from the stages. I also think the "No BYO to music areas" policy had a hand in the lack of crowd.

But things really amped up at night, which was cool.
jimmenyC +

Hard wood

Times thanked
< 218

Quote:

Donato Dozzy
Peter Van Hoesen
Function
Regis
Vatican Shadow
Rodhad
Rrose
Abdulla Rashim
Polar Inertia
Claudio PRC
AnD
Surgeon

Rodhod is out soon, Dozzy is playing RSF I've heard...
Dr Bones +

Gail's in Mensa. She reads books. For fun!

Times thanked
< 2,115
I said it last year, I'm saying it again this year:

Space Invadas. They're local, they're awesome, they'd fit well, and they'd bring with them some much appreciated variety.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kzzy View Post

The music that I push in my opinion is probably a bit too mature for someone who listens to "Trance" but hey, we all have to start somewhere?

jordan__ +

Times thanked
< 1,905

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmenyC View Post

Rodhod is out soon,

Will be a cracker! Some mad parties in the coming months...

Quote:

Dozzy is playing RSF I've heard...

Orly. That would be one way to get me there!

Anomaly

playing next at

jordan__ +

Times thanked
< 1,905

Quote:

and Petar Dundov please

Everyone should be aware of this amazing track

Anomaly

playing next at

larrisajones +

boring. thanks ITM

Times thanked
< 374
Please let there be a decent line up this year ... Last year I kept waiting for them to release the headline acts, but there weren't any.

I know there's all this wank about supporting the little guy and what not but sorry - I need at least a few really good acts to convince me to camp anywhere for any period of time!
underhousearrest +

kjsdbf

Times thanked
< 20
I normally don't post about ideal lineups, bit if a festival had this... I'd be a happy chappy

donato dozzy
derrick may
A guy called gerald
sql
danny tenaglia
slam
boris brecha
surgeon
luciano
john digweed
wally lopez
dasha rush
hoxton whores
Patrick M
jean claude ades
Dformation
Audion
robbie rivera
Umek
Tim Green
Affkt
Coyu
Tapesh
stevie wonder
dazzla
sarah main
chus
sonic animation
nic fanciulli
david herrero
Mark Broom
Len Faki
steve angello
Jay Lumen
catz n dogz
Sergio Fernandez
the cube guys
martin east
chris montana
josh wink
pablo ceballos
vincent thomas
mo funk
ben korbel
supernova
basto
tom thunder
chris liebing
A. mochi
lucas & steve
MYNC
Edu Imbernon
Argy
Stimming
Maceo Plex
coolcomotion
Olivier Giacomotto
Mladen tomic
Eric Prydz

Thats all i can think of right now, these guys are either producers of a few songs I like, or run a regular mix series that I follow.

Soundcloud

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesperoni

I use the people that hate me as a measure of my own performance as a human, if they're shit ****s then I'm on the right track.

jimmenyC +

Hard wood

Times thanked
< 218

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Bones View Post

I said it last year, I'm saying it again this year:

Space Invadas. They're local, they're awesome, they'd fit well, and they'd bring with them some much appreciated variety.

I believe Mr. Spacek has a new album about to drop....
jimmenyC +

Hard wood

Times thanked
< 218

Quote:

Originally Posted by JovanS View Post

It was pretty warm weather on the Friday & Saturday days, especially the Saturday which probably kept most people away from the stages. I also think the "No BYO to music areas" policy had a hand in the lack of crowd.

But things really amped up at night, which was cool.

Due to licensing, that's just the way it is and remains, however, I fail to understand why it would keep people away? It's not a far distance from campsites to stages, and is it seriously a deterrent? I know we're all Aussie, but you may have a slight drinking problem there....
Dexter Ramone +

MAD MEX

Times thanked
< 65
I'd be keen to go again; but am waiting for the lineup to drop. I want to see some more variety throughout
jimmenyC +

Hard wood

Times thanked
< 218
What kinda variety is peaking your interest?
DrugfuctDonkey +

Times thanked
< 1,956

Quote:

Recently a bunch of my mates have gotten heaps into psytrance got a feeling they'll all be heading to Earthcore instead haha. I saw a photo on facebook of Earthcore main stage last year, pretty serious Funktion rack!

Missed last year, hopefully there's more bookings like Dasha Rush this year.

Fuck supporting anything to do with Earthcore/Spiro...... criminal ****s. Last EC was in 08 so I guess you saw pix from that year.

Subsonic needs to book less Tech/Deep House. Heard so much of the same boring shite it was painful. 2011 was the best Subsonic to date imo... great crowd and music.

Hopefully the crowd improves from last year.... the crazy amount of rubbish and general disrespect for the venue was pretty depressing.

Last edited by DrugfuctDonkey: 08-Apr-13 at 11:01am

JovanS +

Times thanked
< 109

Quote:

Due to licensing, that's just the way it is and remains, however, I fail to understand why it would keep people away? It's not a far distance from campsites to stages, and is it seriously a deterrent? I know we're all Aussie, but you may have a slight drinking problem there....

The licensing restrictions didn't keep me & my group away from the stages, but I know for a fact some of the people around our camping spot we got to know, didn't feel like walking back & forth every time they got thirsty. So instead they stayed at the camping area, continued drinking throughout the afternoon, before hitting the music areas.

Anyway, I agree with the music side of things. More diversity please, especially at Paradiso. PROG PLEASE!
jimmenyC +

Hard wood

Times thanked
< 218

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrugfuctDonkey View Post

Fuck supporting anything to do with Earthcore/Spiro...... criminal ****s. Last EC was in 08 so I guess you saw pix from that year.

Subsonic needs to book less Tech/Deep House. Heard so much of the same boring shite it was painful. 2011 was the best Subsonic to date imo... great crowd and music.

Hopefully the crowd improves from last year.... the crazy amount of rubbish and general disrespect for the venue was pretty depressing.

Dislike when people do the 'tech/deep house' thing. They're not the same. From memory, there really wasn't that much Deep House last year, compared to staple 'tech' or minimal or German plod house.

Brought to you by anal-Monday-retentiveness.
Jerry +

Disciple of Jebus

Times thanked
< 32
The lineup just didn’t do it for me last year…

Would be keen to go again if they had a line up with a few of these peeps in it:

Laurent Garnier live
Trentemoller live
Salmonella Dub
The Black Seeds
Jamie Woon
Dave Clarke
Supermayer
Slam
Dusky
Adam Beyer
Chris Liebling
Solomun
Lindstrom (live)
Prins Thomas
Joris Voorn
DJ T
Mindfull-1 +

Times thanked
< 153

Quote:

Subsonic needs to book less Tech/Deep House. Heard so much of the same boring shite it was painful.

I agree, well not quite. I think they need djs that can mix a few genres and make it work. They need to program the djs properly and book some actual good locals that are adept at rocking dancefloors and aren't just totem pole climbers. If they can't find them in sydney spread their net wider. 80% of the locals I saw were average tbh. It was the same at End of the Line. Subsonic is starting to feel a bit too 'sceney' and is veering away from being the sick party it should be. I'll keep supporting it for now because I believe they have good intentions.
gowmesh +

Times thanked
< 5
I wouldn't put Sasha and Digweed in my wishlist as they are very expensive for subsonice and realistically they won't have them any way but there are other djs not very expensive yet as good

James Zabiela
Nic Fanculi
Dinka
Flowjob
DrugfuctDonkey +

Times thanked
< 1,956

Quote:

Dislike when people do the 'tech/deep house' thing. They're not the same. From memory, there really wasn't that much Deep House last year, compared to staple 'tech' or minimal or German plod house.

Brought to you by anal-Monday-retentiveness.

I know they're not the same. The reason I threw them in the same basket in this case is because it seems like a lot of that "generic german plod house" gets categorised as Deep House, Tech House or Minimal on the various blogs and d/l sites these DJ's use.

I love a quality House set but fucking hell so much of that sound we're referring to is mind-numbing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindfull-1 View Post

I agree, well not quite. I think they need djs that can mix a few genres and make it work. They need to program the djs properly and book some actual good locals that are adept at rocking dancefloors and aren't just totem pole climbers. If they can't find them in sydney spread their net wider. 80% of the locals I saw were average tbh. It was the same at End of the Line. Subsonic is starting to feel a bit too 'sceney' and is veering away from being the sick party it should be. I'll keep supporting it for now because I believe they have good intentions.

Programming has been out of whack at subsonic sometimes.... but it's never going to be perfect with artists having other gigs to play, travel time etc. That shit just comes with running a gig like this. Like you said though, some DJ's with a more diverse range of music would definitely help.
Garydose +

Times thanked
< 120
Hellooo ma nam is Duusty Keeed

Media Player
Dusty Kid - Moto Perpetuo - YouTube
My sickest mix brah heaps of sick beatz u mirin? - http://soundcloud.com/johnbanana/gil...lipse-mix-2012
jimmenyC +

Hard wood

Times thanked
< 218

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry View Post

The lineup just didn’t do it for me last year…

Would be keen to go again if they had a line up with a few of these peeps in it:

Laurent Garnier live
Trentemoller live
Salmonella Dub
The Black Seeds
Jamie Woon
Dave Clarke
Supermayer
Slam
Dusky
Adam Beyer
Chris Liebling
Solomun
Lindstrom (live)
Prins Thomas
Joris Voorn
DJ T

Quick question - how much do you think a ticket would come in with a line up like that?
Jerry +

Disciple of Jebus

Times thanked
< 32

Quote:

Quick question - how much do you think a ticket would come in with a line up like that?

With all of those in a camping festival it would probably cost $300+

Doesn’t need to have all of those, just some of them… I would go if they had ¼ of the ones I mentioned…

Give the main headlining international DJ’s sets of 3 - 4 hours too!
Mindfull-1 +

Times thanked
< 153
^^^^^

He said 'a few' of these peeps tbf
Dr Bones +

Times thanked
< 2,115

Quote:

Originally Posted by gowmesh View Post

I wouldn't put Sasha and Digweed in my wishlist as they are very expensive for subsonice and realistically they won't have them any way but there are other djs not very expensive yet as good

James Zabiela
Nic Fanculi
Dinka
Flowjob

I don't know anything about how much DJs charge, but I'd take a wild guess and say Zabs and Fanciuli aren't going cheap these days.

Quote:

The music that I push in my opinion is probably a bit too mature for someone who listens to "Trance" but hey, we all have to start somewhere?

jimmenyC +

Hard wood

Times thanked
< 218

Quote:

^^^^^

He said 'a few' of these peeps tbf

I noted he said that - and with 1/3 of that roster, he is correct it will push into those ticket price extremes all too easy. Big jump from the current ticket prices. You might be interested in a comment I wrote on prices and touring artists in one of the last ONO - Future Music threads.

There are so many factors to balance with this festival, it's no easy ask, but I''m sure they are paying attention to your recommendations, so keep posting them I say. I'm gonna dream up my wishlist I reckon.

What locals to pick?
Mindfull-1 +

Times thanked
< 153
Yeah plus that and Nic Faniwateva is fairly over rated.

I'd like to see Chris Lum up there, I am sure he would play a set which would suit and compliment subsonic, as he does always, no matter the setting. Top act.

Locals? I am not sure sadly, I stopped going out regually cause the locals scene is pretty dull, the music is good in the most part, but the energy & vibe just isnt ever there on the floor. Almost every single night was so inconsistent or completely lacked variety or both. So I can't think of many locals I have seen play that has impressed me enough to say 'hey If I was putting on a party, I would want you playing'. Sydneys regulars are either boring or average or just plain crap, aside from a handfull (who will get booked anyway so I needn't bother mentioning them).

It's been an average city for a while now. Thank fuck for good supps' PPPPPPP
Dr Bones +

Times thanked
< 2,115

Quote:

What locals to pick?

Royalston and Rollers Music for some DnB.

Didn't know Spacek had a new album about to drop by the by. Looking forward to it. Man is pure fucking class.

Quote:

jimmenyC +

Hard wood

Times thanked
< 218

Quote:

Yeah plus that and Nic Faniwateva is fairly over rated.

I'd like to see Chris Lum up there, I am sure he would play a set which would suit and compliment subsonic, as he does always, no matter the setting. Top act.

Locals? I am not sure sadly, I stopped going out regually cause the locals scene is pretty dull, the music is good in the most part, but the energy & vibe just isnt ever there on the floor. Almost every single night was so inconsistent or completely lacked variety or both. So I can't think of many locals I have seen play that has impressed me enough to say 'hey If I was putting on a party, I would want you playing'. Sydneys regulars are either boring or average or just plain crap, aside from a handfull (who will get booked anyway so I needn't bother mentioning them).

It's been an average city for a while now. Thank fuck for good supps' PPPPPPP

Maybe it's just time you left sydney? whinging of mother-in-law status unlocked with you

Not sure what you're into, but I can say last week, Silent Servant was awesome...and the local support excellent. It's been a cracker of a year to date with Internationals, regulars and newcomers. High Spirits, Lioness, Stramm, 4our, Strange Signals, Qualia etc. everyone is slowly upping the ante, I expect good things.

In fact - sometimes you just forget to look, or things go under the radar - I noticed that at subsonic last year, a couple talented first-timers slipped by with magnificent performances and not too well attended.
Dr Bones +

Times thanked
< 2,115
^^ Can confirm, both Qualia and Stramm have been fucking ridiculously good this year. The aces have mostly definitely been played in spades.

Quote:

jordan__ +

Times thanked
< 1,905

Quote:

Ahh right didn't realise.

2011 was the last one I went to, was awesome indeed!

I have been to so many good parties this year maybe you just need to get down to some more of them Mindfull-1 such as the above mentioned! I've even had to miss a few awesome parties seeing as there's just too much good shit going on sometimes.

Not to mention I haven't made it to one dnb party this year, but the dnb scene seems to be well and truly kicking compared to the last couple of years. Would've loved to have made it to Klute and Black Sun Empire.

If there's one big techno booking like Surgeon 4 hour set it would make the festival and blow minds I reckon!

Anomaly

playing next at

pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
< 1,000
my wish list.....may include a few too many people ive already had play, but would love to see them outdoors

gabriel ananda
aril brikha
eelke
oliver schories
dosem
petar dundov
luke hess
marco fustenberg
dub taylor
eric cloutier
fred p
brenden moller
donato dozzy / VFTL
peter van hoessen
marena sondobar
sasha le monnier (she's due a return)
nadja lind
kollektiv turmstrasse
rohad
zenker bros
Morphosis
Delta Funktionen
Claro Intelecto
Kirk Degiorgio
Steve Rachmad (maybe a parallel 9 live set?)
Sven Weissman (maybe a bit too housey, but technical one of the best dj's ive heard play in a while)
Giles Smith
fingers in the noise
random walkers
brickman
dadub
yayga
kangding ray

jamie stevens (live)
christian vance (live)
Playing at;

SHRUG
jerry2234 +

Times thanked
< 43
Dundov would me epic. Lets add Ancient Methods to the wishlist
jordan__ +

Times thanked
< 1,905

Quote:

Morphosis
Claro Intelecto
fingers in the noise
dadub
kangding ray

yes...

Anomaly

playing next at

Ninja88 +

Times thanked
< 8
Set up

- A Bar25 or Kaizer holtzig stage

- Sandwell District Vs Ostgun Ton stage
underhousearrest +

kjsdbf

Times thanked
< 20
oh dude le monnier is long over due

eelke and aril birkha both are excellent choices as well.

Personally I'd like to see a little more house on the lineup. Last year it did seem like it was a little too techy compared to 2011.

Soundcloud

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesperoni

I use the people that hate me as a measure of my own performance as a human, if they're shit ****s then I'm on the right track.

DrugfuctDonkey +

Times thanked
< 1,956
I'd like to see these guys at Subsonic..

Xenoscapes - https://soundcloud.com/xenoscapes

Bush Mech - https://soundcloud.com/bush_mech

OneTastyMorsel - https://soundcloud.com/onetastymorsel

Interpulse - https://soundcloud.com/interpulse

Sun Control Species - https://soundcloud.com/plusquam-reco...usquam-records

Temple Step Project - https://soundcloud.com/temple-step-project

Boot - https://soundcloud.com/boot

Droid Sector - https://soundcloud.com/droid-sector

Would also love Dilated Peoples, Jehst, People Under The Stairs, Mark Farina, Nickodemus and Stickybuds.
jimmenyC +

Hard wood

Times thanked
< 218
Mark Farina? Dude plays here every year.

I'd rather Gilles Peterson.
Page 1 of 11

« Previous Thread Next Thread »