The DJ Booth

A very well constructed view on old vs new DJs

Page 2 of 2
  Tools
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<
well you're the one who suggested pro-music.org dennis, so why don't you tell me? you seem like you know what you're talking about. lol
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
m_xt +

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,490 Times in 784 Posts
off.
DJBodie +

muthafuNkin for long time

Times thanked
<
Has anyone here actually ever been audited and fined? Including you Dennis. Because it sure sounds like you have been.
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts
You might be right there Bodie .. Dennis does seem exceedingly butthurt and unnaturally obsessive about this issue.

Also, in reference to your avatar, i trust you're aware of this : http://www.factmag.com/2012/09/11/ma...lines-reissue/
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
DJBodie +

Times thanked
<
Mean, I wasn't aware of this. Don't usually buy re-edits, but one has to make an exception for, arguably the best trip hop album ever made.

Please dont nark me in Dennis.
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
Why do you even hang around on this forum which is so specifically aimed at the dance music scene, when you're a 50+ year old fat balding loser who plays retro shit and top 40 hits for weddings and corporates?!?!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DjDennis View Post

no talent and no manners

Pot, Kettle, Black much? Do have have any clue, or do you just not care, about the tone/rudeness of your own posts? There's your own 'no manners'. As for the style of DJing you do, there's your 'no talent', because it's such a scene for hack losers like yourself, hence here we are talking to you, you hack loser, pushing play on a song, then play on another as that song ends, more often than not playing songs the people whos party it is TELLS YOU TO PLAY and never actually mixing/blending tracks together, let alone reading the crowd and programming a set...and we have no skill? Fucking laughable...you are a fat sweaty balding 50+ year old loser who has no place here, it would probably be a fair odds bet you still live at home with mummy and run you shoddy as fuck operations from her basement...kindly piss the fuck off, no one here has any interest in anything you do, or any of the totally innacurate and wrong misinformation you tirelessly keep posting.

None of these laws are applicable to us, we fall under performers and it's the venue that needs the license, even the venue which can be heald responsible if we play illegally obtained music, which NONE OF US DO, you almighty cock smoking, pole riding, kiddy fiddling moron

Yes, we need ABN/GST stuff to be above board tax wise, but that's nothing whatsoever to do with copy laws and our rights to play tracks or not...if the venue has a license, we can play whatever the fuck we want, period, end of story, illegally or legally obtained or not, it would only ever come back to bite us if WE got audited, which just doesn't happen...frankly, it'd be like being scared of the fucking boogey man to be worried about that
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts
if you dj in a club / licensed premises the venue has to have an APRA license which covers you, the DJ does not need a separate license unless the venue does not have an APRA licence (ie mobile dj'ing, some functions centres, restaurants)

you can play music you you buy legally, as long as it's in the original format you purchase it, ie if you use a DVS and download to directly to your laptop hard drive and play from there you're okay

at the end of the day APRA is a total rort as none of the fees that we pay actually go back to the artists who produce the tracks that are generally played in a club

ticketed events / festivals are a different kettle of fish, if you play at those you need to provide a list of tracks you played at the event and money does actually go back to the artists
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by pomrocks View Post

at the end of the day APRA is a total rort as none of the fees that we pay actually go back to the artists who produce the tracks that are generally played in a club

ticketed events / festivals are a different kettle of fish, if you play at those you need to provide a list of tracks you played at the event and money does actually go back to the artists

^ This.

It's terrible how that works, it's all allocated on ARIA Dance Chart sales which basically means the same muppets get the royalties as the normal charts.

I had a guest lecturer in from APRA recently at uni who was saying this is going to get more accurate as clubs are starting to use detection software like Shazam etc.... What a crock of shit, I could count on 1 hand the amount of times I'd had success IDing a tune with that.

I also couldn't resist asking them about the legality of iTunes and DJing (as dumb as I felt asking)... Surprise surprise they said as long as the venue is licensed there is no issue. Imagine all the department stores and other shops that are also technically using the music for "commercial" reasons.

So Dennis you better get in touch with APRA and let them know they're doing their job wrong, I'm sure they'd love to hear from you.

http://soundcloud.com/mmmbutch/
special ed +

spesh

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,017 Times in 1,441 Posts
wow dennis, you really think we are are all stupid dont you? can you show me your extensive CV of festival and dance club gigs to prove you understand how the dance music/ performing 'artist/ dj' world works?
hmmmm... didn't think so

Yes you know the laws surrounding ITunes and public performance, good on you. But i dont know many club djs that play music in a dance club that a) is an austrailain licensed release, and b) purchased off iTunes
imported music from independant labels (purchased on beatport or any other way) that are not licensed in Australia do not have to be submitted to APRA.
'us' dj's (who suprisingly dont all play in their bedroom, and do infact have a career doing this) do not need a license. period
you wouldn't understand this because you play Maroon 5 at weddings, i imagine?
I dont know how the "mobile dj" world operates, cause im not one. Ive been a club/ festival DJ for over 20 years
same goes for you, you dont play dance clubs/festivals etc, so stop carrying on like you understand how it operates

in the 'dance music/dj world' these independant labels actually release music that are made specifically for djs to play
they follow copyright laws of the country of origin, sure. but i dont know too many labels that actively seek out djs with the intent to sue for breach of copyright for playing their music at a festival or dance club. these labels survive by dj promotion.

honestly mate if you want people to start showing you some "manners" or respect, then perhaps you should take a leaf out of your own book?

having said all that i do think the innapropriate insults and berrating needs to stop on all sides because, despite conflicting opinions, it doesn't make for a very pleasant read.
soundcloud
mixcloud

Last edited by special ed: 12-Sep-12 at 12:27pm

Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts
You guys need to stop expending so much energy on this parasite ... seriously ... he doesn't give one single fuck what facts you throw at him
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
DJBodie +

Times thanked
<
*yawn*
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by pomrocks View Post

you can play music you you buy legally, as long as it's in the original format you purchase it, ie if you use a DVS and download to directly to your laptop hard drive and play from there you're okay

So, technically speaking, burning it to a CD and playing it through a CDJ = illegal
Copying to a USB stick and playing through a CDJ/controller = illegal

That's pretty fucked

Sure, DVS is kinda popular, but not highly, so many people playing off CDs or USB

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi View Post

It'd still be in the same format then though yes?

pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi View Post

So, technically speaking, burning it to a CD and playing it through a CDJ = illegal

That's pretty fucked

Sure, DVS is kinda popular, but not highly, so many people playing off CDs or USB

yeah it's pretty balls,

Any reproduction (i.e. copying) of copyright works in a commercial context - including format shifting from one device to another - requires the appropriate licence from copyright holders. In most cases, APRA|AMCOS can issue the required reproduction licence on behalf of our membership through the various licenses we offer. Recent amendments to the Copyright Act made it legal to make copies of music for personal use, however this does not extend to copying in any commercial context
Playing at;

SHRUG
special ed +

spesh

Times thanked
<
but again all that only relates to Australian or Australian licensed content under APRA regulations.

playing a copied version of anything from a label overseas that is not licensed in this country falls under that countries copyright laws. And as i said, who the fuck regulates that?
dj labels encourage their music be played by djs. Its how it was obtained they get concerned about, which is impossible to police on the other side of the world
soundcloud
mixcloud
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
APRA is a fucking rort.....we have to pay $0.78 per person who enters the club, and how much of that does an underground house or techno artist who's music we play see?

ZERO
Playing at;

SHRUG
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
So over regulated and still failing

defected819 +

CHyer!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by shr3dder View Post

^ This.

It's terrible how that works, it's all allocated on ARIA Dance Chart sales which basically means the same muppets get the royalties as the normal charts.

I had a guest lecturer in from APRA recently at uni who was saying this is going to get more accurate as clubs are starting to use detection software like Shazam etc.... What a crock of shit, I could count on 1 hand the amount of times I'd had success IDing a tune with that.

I also couldn't resist asking them about the legality of iTunes and DJing (as dumb as I felt asking)... Surprise surprise they said as long as the venue is licensed there is no issue. Imagine all the department stores and other shops that are also technically using the music for "commercial" reasons.

So Dennis you better get in touch with APRA and let them know they're doing their job wrong, I'm sure they'd love to hear from you.

My fiancé's mum runs a doctors clinic. She told me she pays apra because of the music in the waiting rooms. Also for hold music on the telephones.
Digitalgrub +

Times thanked
<
It is indeed a flawed system - still, it's certainly not inforced very often, and is practically non-existent issue for DJs. Still waiting for APRA and Friends to turn up to a rave or bush doof...
All mixes, tunes and gigs info at Kazuki.com.au
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by special ed View Post

but again all that only relates to Australian or Australian licensed content under APRA regulations.

playing a copied version of anything from a label overseas that is not licensed in this country falls under that countries copyright laws. And as i said, who the fuck regulates that?
dj labels encourage their music be played by djs. Its how it was obtained they get concerned about, which is impossible to police on the other side of the world

add to that the amount of tracks i get as promo's that arent, and in a lot of cases will never be, released on a label.....
Playing at;

SHRUG
shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by defected819 View Post

My fiancé's mum runs a doctors clinic. She told me she pays apra because of the music in the waiting rooms. Also for hold music on the telephones.

Any commercial premiss that plays music in any form needs to do that. It's not usually that expensive and unlike clubs most of that money probably ends up with the right people.

special ed +

spesh

Times thanked
<
^ you would think so, but the reality is APRA/amcos "administraion fees" would no doubt consume nearly all royalties owed for things like that.
As dave said APRA is a rort
soundcloud
mixcloud
shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by special ed View Post

^ you would think so, but the reality is APRA/amcos "administraion fees" would no doubt consume nearly all royalties owed for things like that.
As dave said APRA is a rort

It's not like there is an alternative. APRA I mean they're a pretty heavily regulated not for profit agency,
they do a lot for the local music scene as well, my sister has had a few grants which have helped her tremendously.

The system might be pretty f*cked in terms of clubs and the dance scene but the system as a whole works, imagine the admin fees involved with tracking down some of the stuff people play, plus the hassle involved with keeping track lists.... the piss poor streaming royalties would be a bigger issue imo.

m_xt +

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,490 Times in 784 Posts
you seem to contradict yourself, you accept the system is fucked, but claim it works. if it doesn't work for everyone it represents than it doesn't work. I dare say grants given from APRA favour 'traditional' live music also, but i would like to be proven wrong on this.
shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by m_xt View Post

you seem to contradict yourself, you accept the system is fucked, but claim it works. if it doesn't work for everyone it represents than it doesn't work. I dare say grants given from APRA favour 'traditional' live music also, but i would like to be proven wrong on this.

I mean it works as a whole for the wider music industry, but in terms of clubs, especially anything playing "underground" music then no it doesn't. So yeah a little contradiction, but it's such a small part of what they do they're not exactly going to bend over backwards to get it working which would probably in turn lead to even bigger admin fees.

Yeah I'm sure the grants do heavily favour traditional live music (my sister's involved in the country/folk scene), that said do many producers even approach them for grants? They tend to like under exposed genres, my sister was given money to tour the US where she was more likely to have success, surely someone could use similar reasoning to score money to tour Europe?

grapsta +

8 pinballs at the courthouse...yeeeeah

Times thanked
<
seriously dudes - get a life
nateaus +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashthe1 View Post

This is unfortunately the harsh truth in most places, well the more popular clubs at least. I've heard DJ's go from one trainwreck to the next, and the crowd barely noticed. As long as people heard Pitbull rhyming Kodak with Kodak, they were happy

yep.. most people dont have a f'ing clue.
saad +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
WTF why bump such an old thread?
www.myspace.com/saadhafiz

www.flickr.com/photos/saadme

"You're a Class A **** selling Class C drugs"
Page 2 of 2

« Previous Thread Next Thread »