The DJ Booth

Naturally shit at DJing

Page 2 of 2
  Tools
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,327
Yeah, recording your mixes and listening back to them is cricual to learning imo

Sometimes you think a mix is a lot worse than it actually sounded...and sometimes you can think a mix sounds OK when in fact it was awful, not beat matching-wise, but tracks just not working together...I think it's easy to be busy concentrating on holding a mix and not really hearing that the tracks aren't working well together.

Beat matching and mixing records is the ultimate in the basics of DJing and frankly, anyone can do it if they commit some time...programming, flow and track selection, well, that's the pinnacle of DJing really, it takes fucking ages to "learn", and fact of the matter is, some people never get it, ever, while others are just naturals at it.
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
Peppy +

Rawr

Times thanked
< 41
How much can bass vibrations fuck a needle? Like can it do it instantly or is it a matter of time? I recently built my own sub and I don't know whether its a coincidence or its the reason why the needle stopped working all of a sudden.
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,327
I didn’t think bass could ever “fuck a needle”…it can cause a lot of sound quality issues vibrating the tone arm, but wouldn’t have thought it could possible cause the needle to die

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

Peppy +

Rawr

Times thanked
< 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi View Post

I didn’t think bass could ever “fuck a needle”…it can cause a lot of sound quality issues vibrating the tone arm, but wouldn’t have thought it could possible cause the needle to die

The need was just sliding all over the place, anyway Ill sort it out and get back to you guys with a quick little mix!
special ed +

spesh

Times thanked
< 3,011
too much vibrations can make your needle jump, but thats about it. it wont 'physically' wreck your needle.
sounds like your stylus' were at the end of their life anyway
soundcloud
mixcloud
CircusMidget +

De plane! De plane!

Times thanked
< 1,386
sounds like you are trying to mix too loud pappy. Turn it down a bit.
nocturnal_groova +

Times thanked
< 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peppy View Post

The need was just sliding all over the place, anyway Ill sort it out and get back to you guys with a quick little mix!

Whack a 10cent piece on the top if the stylus with blu-tack to give it some extra weight. It shouldn't be sliding all over the place.
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
< 3,963
no ... don't do that ... you'll destroy your records
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
< 4,661
New stylus ftw.

Either that or dust rookie error IMO !
Spoiler:

Quote:

Originally Posted by borrisGLOWSTICK View Post

Life trainwreck stories, bewbs, mod angering drug implicated posts and 2fast2furious only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mliro View Post

that’s terrible spastic
also I would imagine a little disheartening that he has never attempted to drug rape you?

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,327

Quote:

Originally Posted by nocturnal_groova View Post

Whack a 10cent piece on the top if the stylus with blu-tack to give it some extra weight. It shouldn't be sliding all over the place.

Trololololol

Worst thing you can do ever!

Invest in some new/quality carts/needles...balance the tone arms properly...run them with as little counter weight as you can get away with without them skipping while you're queueing

wheelo007 +

Registered Offhander

Times thanked
< 270
No, if anything, a 10c coin isn't heavy enough. Maybe a shoe... Ever notice all those random shoes in the city on a saturday night? Those have been used to hold a shitty stylus in place and then discarded.
Ghostman +

Times thanked
< 4
Have you tried dope?......
m_xt +

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803

Times thanked
< 1,489
yeah, but I didn't find heroin conducive to mixing, was tricky being on the nod. Although I already had the needles.
Check it ****s.
Soundcloud

LAZE
dazza_b +

Suburb scum

Times thanked
< 72
Did the op ever get good (or better)? I need closure.
wheelo007 +

Registered Offhander

Times thanked
< 270
He now goes under the alias; David Guetta.
So no, he didn't.
Fosterz +

Times thanked
< 0
Despite what the wider music community's opinion of DJing might be, I believe wholeheartedly that DJing takes its own particular form of musicanship. There's an art to knowing what works with what, when to bring in the next track so the previous track vocal seems to meticuliously fit in with the new track...I don't need to list off all of the things that separates a good dj from a "banger" dj.

Your honesty is admired, dude, and perhaps Wheelo007 is right. You may love the music, but not be a natural musician. My suggestion, keep playing and be pro-active about wanting to learn more. Do some research, gain a bit more understanding on what keys and chords work with each other.

it's a continual process, and constantly evolving...so put a mix up and let us dish u some feedback, I'm sure peeps here would love to hear a set of yours.

Fosterz
nateaus +

Times thanked
< 0
Just practice more bro.. and try not to rely on the DVS.. as without them you will be fucked.. but these days no one really cares if you can beat match or not yourself.. with BPM counters.. DVS.. you dont really need to.
Funkedub +

Times thanked
< 3,963

Quote:

Originally Posted by nateaus View Post

try not to rely on the DVS.. with . DVS.. you dont really need to.

you realise you can use DVS and beatmix as you would with regular vinyl yea?

funkedub dot com

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,327
And when it comes to the natural movement of turntables, they often waver a little, plus slight inaccuracies of the BPM readings...even if both tracks read exactly 125.6 BPM, you often still need to make a few slight adjustments over the course of a long mix...never ever rely on BPM readers

Funkedub +

Times thanked
< 3,963
^^^

Yea, but if you use "sync" it will hold them together, fluctuations and all.

funkedub dot com

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,327
Hmmmm, I didn't think you could 'sync' when using turntables as the control means? Thought that was only if you were using Internal mixer/contolls? Never tried...stuff that...part of the fun/challenge is holding a mix imo

Funkedub +

Times thanked
< 3,963
Sync does indeed work in DVS mode. EVen if you adjust the pitch on the decks itself, the sync will follow this accordingly.

I've recently started using sync in DVS mode ... i know i can mix (and have to do so when switching to regular vinyl) ... but when you are carrying a 6 month kid on your hip, sync means you train wreck a lot less ... and can spend more time DANCING!!

funkedub dot com

wheelo007 +

Registered Offhander

Times thanked
< 270
Sync fight!!!!
I did NOT see that coming.
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,327
Not fighting, just discussing...might have a wee play around next time I'm having a mix...I'd recently picked up the X-Session Pro controller just to be easy able to DJ a mates wedding, just need lappy, soundcard + X-Session and you're firing...this would mean I could run 4 channels, sync them up and get a bit crazy on it

Page 2 of 2

« Previous Thread Next Thread »