Current Affairs and Politics

Boston Marathon Bomb Explosion

Page 2 of 4
  Tools
gotamangina +

o.O

Times thanked
< 8,819
I wonder how this will affect the mood & attendance of the London Marathon this Sunday.
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,383

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I wonder how this will affect the mood & attendance of the London Marathon this Sunday.

Considering London has had it's share of bombings over the years, I'd say security will be ramped up a lot and people will be edgy.
jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

Times thanked
< 2,178
how many more times can Jones do this and the lib politicians continue to associate themselves with him?
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative." John Stuart Mill
claude glass +

Times thanked
< 760

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdoodle View Post

how many more times can Jones do this and the lib politicians continue to associate themselves with him?

I don't see a big difference between the nonsense Jones comes out with and the nonsense the Coalition comes out with actually.
trist +

too many years on ITM

Times thanked
< 268

Quote:

Originally Posted by claude glass View Post

I don't see a big difference between the nonsense Jones comes out with and the nonsense the Coalition comes out with actually.

that's because you don't pay much attention to either.
Come with us back to those inglorious days when heroes weren't zeros. Before fair was square. When the cavalry came straight away and all-American men were like Hemingway to the days of the wondrous B movie. Gil Scott-Heron
claude glass +

Times thanked
< 760

Quote:

Originally Posted by trist View Post

that's because you don't pay much attention to either.

Oh really? You are very wrong there. I would imagine in at least one policy I have a much more detailed understanding than you. But whether it be economic management, NBN, climate change, energy or refugees they are speaking a lot of horse shit. You know it trist.

Anyway, this is a thread derail. So I won't go on on this thread.
Bracko +

tOuCh.iT

Times thanked
< 2,030
can we steer back to the actual event rather than who pays attention to what media?

and keep the vitriolic personal insults away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tristan View Post

well done sofu, perhaps your most offensive post yet!

Balls Deep +

Times thanked
< 7,864
So much fuckhead-ery in one photo

It's over you BASTARDS!
CheelWinston +

not a cop

Times thanked
< 1,988
not a good advertisement for bald men, no
CheelWinston +

not a cop

Times thanked
< 1,988

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdoodle View Post

'Hello Alan. Tony here... good thanks. Listen I'm in a spot of bother... Yeah again.... Slush fund... I'm going to need you to say something retarded to take the heat off. This morning if possible? Great. Thanks mate... What? Listen Alan, we have been through this and the answer remains no. You know it's a sin and you're going to hell? Righto. Thanks mate.'
DrugfuctDonkey +

Times thanked
< 1,920
snip

mod:was that humour?
if it was, maybe in a couple of weeks

Last edited by horst: 17-Apr-13 at 06:28pm

Velociravetor +

Open the door, get on the floor, everybody do the dinosaur!

Times thanked
< 320

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post

^ that's not what I believe no. It's disgusting the way events are portrayed by the media, it seems many folks have been conditioned to accept that when brown people are killed in the middle east etc they are "collateral damage" and that's all ok or its muslim on muslim and that's fine also. The bias can't be denied and is evidenced by the media frenzy which occurs whenever innocent westerners are killed.

Good article here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...otes-reactions

Quote:

"There is nothing more important on the planet Earth, at this moment, than a good party. Why? 'Cause we have fun. We meet our friends. We fall in love, we fall out of love. We find ourselves. We develop, we evolve, we dissolve, we merge and we "lyserge." That's about it." - Raja Ram

gonefishin +

Times thanked
< 391

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stebby View Post

gotamangina is spot on.
Don't come bumbling into this topic about the Boston tragedy asking "Why the USA tragedy get their own forum topic huh? huh? Such bias omg" ... Shut the fuck up and create the fucking topic yourself if you believe it should be talked about on this forum.

are you the peoples moderator or something? It takes a special kind of arrogant twit to post what you did there. Its the same goddamn topic and ile be fucked if i cant put my views to it. Read the article in the post above precious, its basically an eloquent version of my position on the matter.

because fuck you and the horse you rode in on
Police kicked down the back door and cornered the man in the bathtub.
"What?" he is alleged to have told police. "I'm having a bath."
However, police will allege the suspect was still wearing shorts.
jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

Times thanked
< 2,178
yeah nah
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative." John Stuart Mill
VanBuurenisGod +

BRTG

Times thanked
< 2,828
So they reckon they have photographic/video footage of a "dark skinned man" leaving the bag near the finish line, and footage of the same man near the second bomb.
Astro-Boy +

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Times thanked
< 22,487
Who's "they"? Source? Because this Internet told me it was this guy:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heraclitus

Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.

legal-affairs +

Moderator says 2.0

Times thanked
< 512

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

It will, of course, because if you are a security apparatus in a Western nation it is important not to miss any opportunity to justify your own existence (witness the NSW Police Force calling a press conference on the subject, for goodness' sake).

However, it's very hard to believe that Boston was the act of a terrorist organisation because there has still been no claim of responsibility. Two things separate terrorism from murder - a political imperative (recognising that "political" is often used in only a very loose sense) and the creation of fear amongst the living that what happened to the dead could happen to them. Without a claim of responsibility, you don't achieve either of those things. Without an organisation, threats to the London Marathon (or the A-League grand final or whatever) are no greater and no less than they were before the bombs went off in Boston.

On a slightly different angle, this is a very good piece on the "deaths in Boston vs deaths in Iraq" debate:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-04-1...boston/4635252
But we're fools if we sit back and stare at the ground
While the weasels and analysts sing
If we want our place in history, we can't let the frustration
Drive us to fashionable drinking again
Stebby +

Times thanked
< 9

Quote:

are you the peoples moderator or something? It takes a special kind of arrogant twit to post what you did there. Its the same goddamn topic and ile be fucked if i cant put my views to it. Read the article in the post above precious, its basically an eloquent version of my position on the matter.

because fuck you and the horse you rode in on

I've already read the article above and agree with it. Funnily enough, it doesn't contradict a single thing I wrote. Nor does it have any relevance to what I wrote.

So. Honestly. Fuck off, precious.
VanBuurenisGod +

BRTG

Times thanked
< 2,828

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astro-Boy View Post

Who's "they"? Source? Because this Internet told me it was this guy:

case closed!

but seriously, it is what i heard on the news this morning on tv,
"My biggest mentor is myself because I’ve had to study, so that’s been my biggest influence"

#BRTG
BumblingBee +

is a dick

Times thanked
< 2,908

Quote:

Originally Posted by legal-affairs View Post

On a slightly different angle, this is a very good piece on the "deaths in Boston vs deaths in Iraq" debate:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-04-1...boston/4635252

Quote:

but still the gatekeepers of mass media seem tied down to the old ideas of shared cultural values, the loose empire of the wealthy and the white.

sounds about right
claude glass +

Times thanked
< 760

Quote:

Without an organisation, threats to the London Marathon (or the A-League grand final or whatever) are no greater and no less than they were before the bombs went off in Boston.

Except for copycats.
legal-affairs +

Moderator says 2.0

Times thanked
< 512

Quote:

Originally Posted by claude glass View Post

Except for copycats.

Well, perhaps - but what do you think the chances are that someone who had no plans to detonate bombs in a public place a week ago would be able to successfully execute such a plan a week later? It's not as if the idea of detonating bombs in a place where a bunch of people are is an especially novel one.
But we're fools if we sit back and stare at the ground
While the weasels and analysts sing
If we want our place in history, we can't let the frustration
Drive us to fashionable drinking again
claude glass +

Times thanked
< 760

Quote:

Well, perhaps - but what do you think the chances are that someone who had no plans to detonate bombs in a public place a week ago would be able to successfully execute such a plan a week later? It's not as if the idea of detonating bombs in a place where a bunch of people are is an especially novel one.

I think if you were the bomb making type you could probably have one ready quite quickly, but chances would seem to be low.

And while I also completely agree that these events are turned into PR campaigns for security apparatus apparatchiks, if security for the London marathon was my responsibility I'd find it very hard not to be more active. It's just how people will always expect you to respond. It's actually the only time we respond: immediately after something bad happens.
gonefishin +

Times thanked
< 391

Quote:

I've already read the article above and agree with it. Funnily enough, it doesn't contradict a single thing I wrote. Nor does it have any relevance to what I wrote.

nice back pedal bucko, shame its a load of contradictory bs. now go fuck off to your mum
Police kicked down the back door and cornered the man in the bathtub.
"What?" he is alleged to have told police. "I'm having a bath."
However, police will allege the suspect was still wearing shorts.
gravyishot +

this stupid facebook bar at the bottom is for ****s

Times thanked
< 789
'bucko'.
Stebby +

Times thanked
< 9

Quote:

nice back pedal bucko, shame its a load of contradictory bs. now go fuck off to your mum

Holy shit - just how dense are you? No back pedal at all. Glad I taught you a new word you can use at school tomorrow, but perhaps look up the definition of "contradictory" before making a fool of yourself.

Feel free to point out the contradictions though.

I'll even quote the thing for you (you left some out when you quoted it earlier ):

Quote:

I don't see the point in coming into a thread titled "Boston Marathon Bomb Explosion", and asking why there isn't a similar topic for the horrible bombings in Iraq. This is an Internet forum. The users (that's YOU) create the topics.

If you want to discuss the Iraq tragedy and the deaths there - create the thread. Don't come bumbling into this topic about the Boston tragedy asking "Why the USA tragedy get their own forum topic huh? huh? Such bias omg" ... Shut the fuck up and create the fucking topic yourself if you believe it should be talked about on this forum.

Hell, I'll even edit in the post that triggered it:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChemicalJames View Post

Why is it important we create a whole thread for this, 2 people dead, when i haven't seen a mention of this on inthemix:

http://rt.com/news/iraq-election-attack-killed-876/

46 dead

Last edited by Stebby: 18-Apr-13 at 04:45pm

Reason: Dumbing it down for the dumb ass

Bracko +

tOuCh.iT

Times thanked
< 2,030
I've already asked once. keep the personal insults off the forums.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tristan View Post

well done sofu, perhaps your most offensive post yet!

BumblingBee +

is a dick

Times thanked
< 2,908
yeah it's getting pretty high school in here
Hdb2 +

Sup.

Times thanked
< 2,370
You're a high school!
sonicc +

>O__/ QuACK >O__/ QuACK >O__/ QuACK

Times thanked
< 3,319
Here is the latest.. Bros are responsible.

They need to get that CSI: Miami zoom in technology going..
Cats are not actually smaller than horses, they are just further away - ITM PROVERB
Astro-Boy +

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Times thanked
< 22,487
Moar photos: http://imgur.com/a/vP0GZ

Quote:

Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.

CheelWinston +

not a cop

Times thanked
< 1,988
cap on backwards, untucked shirt, backpack instead of briefcase, they look pretty left wing
The3rdPlumpDj +

Times thanked
< 11
yeh they are all the pics off the fbi site...

http://www.fbi.gov/news/updates-on-i...-boston/photos

one of them looks appears to have a big schnoz, possibly middle eastern... suspect 1 does very well to not give much away by wearing shades and a cap on facing forward, but suspect 2, hat on backwards, schnoz hanging out, what an idiot!
CheelWinston +

not a cop

Times thanked
< 1,988
Jewish obv
nrjize +

licking dates

Times thanked
< 2,107
Definitely a jew
"I theme-dress depending on where I'm going... if I was going to dinner at a Chinese restaurant, I would wear a kimono - it makes it more fun." Kelly Osbourne.

"yeah, i have back problems that i tried to cure with heroin. what of it?"
sonicc +

Times thanked
< 3,319
Spoiler:

Is this the same fratboy with the white hat? Or is this photoshopped or something?? It's from reddit so i never quite know.
Cats are not actually smaller than horses, they are just further away - ITM PROVERB

Last edited by sonicc: 19-Apr-13 at 10:34am

Reason: Don't know if real..

CheelWinston +

not a cop

Times thanked
< 1,988
we're playing Where's Waleed now?
sonicc +

Times thanked
< 3,319
Now saying this is confirmed as real.. Internet detectivism going crazy

Also the guy that lost both his legs looked straight at the bomber..

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...attackers.html

http://i.imgur.com/FjItHji.jpg

But this has to be the most chilling photo to come out of it. Exuse the stupid Reddit circles.

Last edited by sonicc: 19-Apr-13 at 01:23pm

Griggle +

If it is prophylactic and emphatically didactic, then it's not tactic."

Times thanked
< 1,726
That backpack looks like it's in front of the wranga chick not the cap guy.

That's it, it's all a wranga conspiracy!
Broadband speeds will always be lower under a Coalition Government.
CheelWinston +

not a cop

Times thanked
< 1,988
something on the news about a shooting at MIT?
Stebby +

Times thanked
< 9

Very interesting Reddit thread going on right now - following a police scanner:

http://www.reddit.com/r/findbostonbo..._men/?sort=new

Don't know if it's the bombers or not but Reddit seems to think so. (Or it could be related to the MIT shootings)

Last edited by Stebby: 19-Apr-13 at 03:08pm

CheelWinston +

not a cop

Times thanked
< 1,988
sky news just said authorities claim it is not bomb related but who knows eh
Astro-Boy +

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Times thanked
< 22,487

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheelWinston View Post

something on the news about a shooting at MIT?

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheelWinston View Post

sky news just said authorities claim it is not bomb related but who knows eh

AFAIK it was a liquor store robbery gone wrong and the pursuit went through MIT, where the officer was shot.

Quote:

Fangoriously +

Fusion Aerodynamical Science

Times thanked
< 1,177
Further to that - 2 cops dead, now they're reporting automatic weapons being fired and grenades being thrown at the police!

Sounds like a cell has popped?

http://emergency.mit.edu/

http://www.reddit.com/r/news/comment...unshots_fired/
Better updates - more pressure cooker bombs!
Aerodynamical Fusion Science Terminal Velocitising Scientician Experimentalising
Astro-Boy +

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Times thanked
< 22,487
Yep, just came back to edit my post. Looks like I missed the mark.

Quote:

CheelWinston +

not a cop

Times thanked
< 1,988
with the amount of pressure cookers going off my suspicions immediately shift to Pete and Manu

Manu = big nose
Astro-Boy +

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Times thanked
< 22,487
EDIT: 1:56 a.m. -- MIT has given us the all clear to resume normal activities.

Quote:

Jehovahs Fitness +

GANGNAM STYLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Times thanked
< 5,621
Good news everybody: The Boston bombing suspects are white.

Suck it xenophobes.
ABitPatchy +

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Times thanked
< 2,542
Actually they've been confirmed to be of Middle Eastern heritage.
Jehovahs Fitness +

GANGNAM STYLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Times thanked
< 5,621
Yeah, the original pics showed them as white in appearance but it was just flash.

Sunil Tripathi and Mike Mulugeta.

I've never wanted to be more right about something in my life.
Page 2 of 4

« Previous Thread Next Thread »