The DJ Booth

CDJ 200s or a DDJ

Tools
vinzr +

Times thanked
<
CDJ 200s or a DDJ
So I have a budget of around $500 just to get some gear to get me started in DJ'ing at home

Basically I want to know whether I should go with

2 x Pioneer CDJ-200's (and a Denon DNX100 mixer) for $350

OR

A DDJ like the Pioneer DDJ-WeGo or DDJ-Ergo

I've never had any other DJ gear so I'm looking for something to get me started, whilst also taking account that eventually I want to upgrade to actual "professional" DJ equipment some time in the future
brendanClay +

"Bruno"

Times thanked
<
Probably the Pioneer "DDJ" solution, as it will save you from burning CDs, and the like.

And that is provided that you have a good enough computer to run it
BrendanClay.com | AtticSydney.com | SoundOfSPOiLT.com

> Soundcloud

Upcoming:

2017 | Attic

> Gigatools
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
Physical medium can be less confusing to learn on, as you don't have software to learn/get around the various bugs of/install and setup etc...CDJ + mixer is simply plug and play....but agree above, not having to burn CDs is a huge win
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
Rocky808 +

My Eyes! The Goggles Do Nothing!

Times thanked
<
CDJ > controllers

If you ever become more serious about DJing, most clubs only have CDJs and you'll struggle if you only know how to use controllers. Keep in mind tho, CDJ-200's don't support USB drives, see if you can score a cheap pair of 400's if that's a problem for you.
wheelo007 +

Registered Offhander

Times thanked
<
Just get the bloody controller. The only option for using cdjs without buring cds is if you either get newer models which accept usb or to get control cds and traktor/serato or the likes. This will result in you spending more than $500.
If it's for bedroom use, it doesn't matter than you're using a controller. It will only be a slight issue if you get to a point where you want to play at venues where your options are either bring your shitty, embarrassing, toy-controller or try use their cdjs and a mixer which means you need cds, a usb or (wait for it) control cds and serato/traktor!
So the suggestion is to get a controller that has well defined mixer section and ideally touch-sensitive platters. That way you should be fine using cdjs if and when you stop being a cheapskate with equipment.
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheelo007 View Post

So the suggestion is to get a controller that has well defined mixer section and ideally touch-sensitive platters. That way you should be fine using cdjs if and when you stop being a cheapskate with equipment.

So long as when learning with your controller, you learn to mix with your ears, not with the screen wave-riding or just matching the tempo...if you don't know how to beat match by ear, come playing a venue off stock standard CDJ's you'll be in a lot of trouble

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

vinzr +

Times thanked
<
So if I decide to go with the controller will that still allow me to develop proper beat-matching habits/techniques?

Thanks for the responses btw guys.
Rocky808 +

Times thanked
<
Yeah but learn to beatmatch by ear (ie use the jogwheel and pitch fader not the sync button) and try not to look at the waveforms on your laptop while you're still learning. That's how I started too but eventually you'll want to upgrade to the real thing.
vinzr +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocky808 View Post

Yeah but learn to beatmatch by ear (ie use the jogwheel and pitch fader not the sync button) and try not to look at the waveforms on your laptop while you're still learning. That's how I started too but eventually you'll want to upgrade to the real thing.

Yeah, that's the plan. I eventually plan on upgrading but right now I just dont have the money to get some good equipment so I'm really restricted. I would rather just get something manageable right now that is cheap, learn the basics of beat matching and everything and then upgrade to some proper equipment later on down the track rather than buy some semi-expensive equipment that does almost the same things as a controller, then decide to upgrade later on down the track to some better stuff.

Thanks guys, I will probably just go with a controller as it will save me a lot of trouble with burning CDs.
m_xt +

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,490 Times in 784 Posts
http://www.djtechtools.com/2012/08/2...-4-controller/
I played with one of these on the weekend, nice big jog wheels and a bit cheaper than the Pioneer also I believe, worth checking out.
Check it ****s.
Soundcloud

LAZE
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocky808 View Post

Little bits of duct tape stuck to the screen right over the Tempo/BPM display

Waveform is helpful for changes/drop points etc, but not that amazing for trying to beat match by, once your ears are even slightly in tune with it, you'll hear slipping just as quickly as you'll see it

m_xt +

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,490 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi View Post

Little bits of duct tape stuck to the screen right over the Tempo/BPM display

Tried that on my CDJ's at one stage
You can turn them off easily on traktor, or have them less accurate so you are listening rather making sure each track is exactly127.14bpm, then use the program in browser mode so the wave form is about the same size as on a CDJ.
Check it ****s.
Soundcloud

LAZE
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Traktor goes to TWO decimal places?!?

TORQ only does one, nothing sits perfectly at 127.1...playing of turntables there is always a slight fluctuation, a skip from .1 to .2 to .1 to .2 to .1 etc...and even if they both read 127.1 and sit stable there, doesn't mean there can't be some ever so slight slipping...and doesn't mean you've actually got them perfectly lined up in the first place.

ears > readings

I like having a decent view of the waveform though

Rocky808 +

Times thanked
<
Big no to putting duct tape on CDJs, if you leave it on for too long it can leave residue that's nearly impossible to get off. I prefer electrical tape.
wheelo007 +

Registered Offhander

Times thanked
<
If your biggest concern is beatmatching, maybe consider some second hand gear off here, gumtree, etc. You'll get some decent older cdjs (200s, etc) and a rugged little mixer for that amount. It can absolutely be done on a controller, I personally find the urge to look at the waveform too hard to resist. It's like singing karaoke to a song you know off by heart. Still can't help looking! Whatever you do, lay off the sync buttons.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »