The DJ Booth

DJ Comps.

Tools
AngelusVanHohenheim +

Times thanked
<
DJ Comps.
Hi guys,

I'm new to in the mix. I'm from Melbourne. I've been a long time club DJ (Melbourne sound, electro,dutch house, progressive, euro house etc) and have released a few tracks through labels. I would like to start entering DJ comps. Anyone know of any that are up and coming?

Cheers.
trouble hifire +

wax addict

Times thanked
<
Question, if you're already an established artist in Melbourne why would you be entering dj comps considering they generally cater to the 'new' (read zero experience) dj?

I think you would be best off just getting bookings on your past merits.
http://soundcloud.com/hifire

Catch me playing @

Gangarang @ Rumpus Room 8th of June
Junkyard Sessions @ Rumpus Room 16th of June
m_xt +

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,490 Times in 784 Posts
Yeah, I thought comps were generally for up and comers as they often have little chance to play out otherwise.
Check it ****s.
Soundcloud

LAZE
AngelusVanHohenheim +

Times thanked
<
Fair question, It's a long story that mainly concerns my personal life. But to be fair, true I've played for years in various clubs but I'm hardly an established DJ. Because of circumstances this is nearly the only avenue I have left to continue in the profession so if anyone hears anything please let me know.

Cheers Guys.
Mark Hilder:
Aliases: Angelus Van Hohenheim & Yume Sekai.

http://www.beatport.com/release/bonzai/1061612
https://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/a...im/id450033115
wheelo007 +

Registered Offhander

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelusVanHohenheim View Post

I've been a long time club DJ (Melbourne sound, electro,dutch house, progressive, euro house etc) and have released a few tracks through labels.

Would a few track releases through labels and being a "long time club DJ' not constitute being established?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelusVanHohenheim View Post

But to be fair, true I've played for years in various clubs but I'm hardly an established DJ. Because of circumstances this is nearly the only avenue I have left to continue in the profession

Sounds suss. I don't think DJ Comps are the most prestigious way to establish yourself. You should know that by now, right? You're not a big-boobied, tattood chick, so you're not going to win and you're un-surprisingly not the only dj playing the Melbourne guff, dutch gubbins or electro paff that you described above, so you're not even going to stand out. So your perception that this is the only avenue you have left would better suggest you've a fairly narrow minded approach to djing.

Would it not make more sense to improve your production acumen, maybe consider some remix comps, even improve your professional reputation by promoting yourself better, getting an agent, networking for better club work, releasing more mixes/tracks, rather than scratching around ITM for a heads up about dj comps?
OR stuff the superstar dj dream and pack out as a mobile dj. You could establish yourself as 'The Guy Who Came 15th in Your Shot 2014' and play at all the school discos in Melbourne.
https://soundcloud.com/presidentbird
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<
There is nothing wrong with entering a few DJ comps?

As long as you understand that they are run for 1 reason, to get DJs, punters and people into clubs for free.

Other than that, its a good chance to meet other DJs, reach other crowds and have a little fun.
Tech-One

« Previous Thread Next Thread »