The DJ Booth

using PA equalizers or mixer with hifi components

Tools
mr_mat +

♫♪.ılılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̅ ̲̅●̲̅̅|llılılı.♫♪

Times thanked
<
using PA equalizers or mixer with hifi components
Currently i'm running my mixer (djm800) directly into my speaker amp via XLR (balanced signal, speaker and amp combo is well matched, and not a PA system), however I either have to crank it or live with low main levels and adjust the cue volumes each time preparing to cue.

What would be the purist option to control the main levels prior to the amp (acting as a pre-amp);

mixer/equalizer/amp/speakers - http://dbxpro.com/en/products/215
or
mixer/studio mixer (pa)/amp/speakers - http://www.mackie.com/products/vlz4-...ompact-mixers/

would using an PA grade eq or mixer degrade the quality of signal? open to any other components then the ones above, just are there as examples.
Johbremat +

Times thanked
<
I'm ignorant.
What are you cranking - the mixer or the amp - and when you refer to cue you mean cue, not gain?

The more you add to the signal chain the higher the likelihood of degradation, regardless of the quality of component. It'd be very much crap in, crap out, and a PA-grade anything I imagine would simply amplify rather than clean an existing signal.

The guys in here are pretty clever, though this may be a question better posed here.
mr_mat +

♫♪.ılılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̅ ̲̅●̲̅̅|llılılı.♫♪

Times thanked
<
The amp, any small increments in master levels via the mixer, equals big increments in the overall volume of the amp.

Currently I use the mixing master level (ratio) set at cue < master = 97-98%, then increase the level to around 90% which causes a great deal of amplification within the headphones.
Birdbrain +

Times thanked
<
firstly what sort of amp are you using? just a consumer level amp or pro gear because the operating levels are different. Also the djm800 has a selectable master ATT on the rear. what is it set to?

« Previous Thread Next Thread »