The DJ Booth

Ear Protection/ Ear Plugs

Tools
tommygag +

Times thanked
<
Ear Protection/ Ear Plugs
Hey guys

Just wondering if any of you wear earplugs when playing? And if you do what type of plugs/ where did you get them from?

Cheers
Tommy
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
Nope...never have...to be honest, I've only ever had one gig where I eve felt I should be (had to crank the monitors super fucking loud to hear them well over the main system)

All other gigs the monitors have been fine and 95% of the time I turn them, and the headphone volume, down from where the last DJ had it set...learning to mix with you headphones as the lowest volume you can get away with is something everyone who values their ears should do.

I used to have the headphone volume cranked way louder than it needed to be, a mate noticed and told me how it can screw with your mixing as the speaker should be the dominate sound and the headphone/cue track lower so you're brain is matching the cue track to the main track, not vice versa if the headphones are too loud (this is for my style of cueing which you only have the new track playing in your cans, one ear covered, other ear listening to monitor of the playing track)

Once I got used to that, I could just keep lowering and lowering the headphone volume to way way lower than most others played at...even now playing on home system at mates place, he'll have the headphone volume on a DJM 600 at like 4/10 and each time I play I have to drop it to like 1/10 else I can't hear the monitor speaker clearly enough for my liking.

Took over from one dude years back who was mixing terribly, he complained about not being able to hear the monitor (which was in a shitty spot, behind you rather than beside you) and when I plugged in I was almost deafened by the 8/10 volume level he was cranking the headphones...d'uh, no fucking wonder you can't hear the monitor...dropped it to like 2 or 3/10 for my set and heard/played fine
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
tommygag +

Times thanked
<
Yeah valid points, will give this a try and will definitely have to work at lowering the volume in my headphones week by week!
Thanks!
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<
You should be wearing hearing protection, a dj booth without the booths running can sometimes still be at an unsafe volume.

I use some adjustable ear plugs i got made, they interchange between 15-25db reduction, i wear them when i go out as well... you can listen to conversations a lot better even while on the DF under the speakers.
Tech-One
tommygag +

Times thanked
<
where did you get them made? and for how much?
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<
You can get them done at any audiologist, they are around $140 for a pair.
Tech-One
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by slackas View Post

You should be wearing hearing protection, a dj booth without the booths running can sometimes still be at an unsafe volume.

Yeah, realise this, just never really felt a huge need for them, even though technically should be using.

It's funny how you can converse easier with plugs in, eh? Worn them sometimes at the odd gig where I've felt they were needed, ears protected from damaging sounds, yet easier to converse with them in than without...how does that work? haha

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

Jink121 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by slackas View Post

You can get them done at any audiologist, they are around $140 for a pair.

^This. Takes them about 10 mins to get an impression of your ear, and its done. I don't leave home nowadays without my -25db pair. They just cut off the top layer of distorted highs you get at most clubs, I think it enhances the sound a lot.
tommygag +

Times thanked
<
I have been reading up and found this place. They recommended i get the http://earplugonline.com.au/earplugs/music/er15/. However they cost $273...hopefully i can find cheaper!

Do you think its best to get the 15 or the 25db pair?
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<
www.attune.com.au/ - $140

Adjustable between 15 and 25db reduction
Tech-One
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<
if you're strapped for cash you can pick up these -- http://www.alpinehearingprotection.c...icsafe_pro.htm

they're available on ebay and amazon and do a proper good job. almost on par with professionally moulded ones as these are made from some special material that ends up moulding to your ears once you put them in. the added benefit is that you can choose how much attenuation you want, as they come with 3 different kinds of filters.
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
tommygag +

Times thanked
<
Awesome! Thanks guys
Teknikall +

Times thanked
<
bayaudio.com.au that's where I got mine, $160 I think.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derelict

Rename thread to 'Jrod asks stupid questions, receives good answers, ignores advise'.

Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
<
Bit of a strange table this.

I'd never have considered a bass drum to be particularly loud, and certainly nowhere near approaching 110dBa night club levels. A snare drum by comparison is significantly louder, irrespective of the fact that a snare drum covers the more sensitive frequencies of the human ear.

And is the 150dB = Heavy Metal Concert a joke?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudest_band_in_the_world
AUDIT +

Times thanked
<
I can't believe your going to skimp on an extra $100 for your hearing, you do realise once its gone its gone?

I have a pair of ER25 custom moulded and wear them every time i go out to a club, they were the best investment i have made
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post

Bit of a strange table this.

I'd never have considered a bass drum to be particularly loud, and certainly nowhere near approaching 110dBa night club levels. A snare drum by comparison is significantly louder, irrespective of the fact that a snare drum covers the more sensitive frequencies of the human ear.

And is the 150dB = Heavy Metal Concert a joke?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudest_band_in_the_world

Really? A snare drum may sound louder because of the frequencies used... but surely a double kick bass drum is displacing a lot more air and faster giving a higher SPL?
Tech-One
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
<
Hmmm.... I'm still gonna hedge a bet that a snare is way louder than a kick drum.

In fact, I planned to come back to you tonight with some raw data. I don't own an acoustic kit any more, but I have access to one each week, only tonight out of respect to the dozen or so people chatting in the room I didn't give it a workout. The preliminary SPL readings I did capture is pointing to the snare to be the outright winner, the kick falling significantly behind.

Anyway, next week I'll make a point of noting down the readings. What criteria are we gonna stick to anyway? Thinking dB A-weighting, and @ 1 metre from the source?

Regarding the greater air displacement, I'd kinda need to read up on it some more, but something leads me to believe that much of that air displacement is lost in attempting to set up the movement of such deep, long soundwaves that otherwise dissipates rather easily. In a small bar type set-up, the crack of a snare (un-mic'ed, un-amplified) tends to cut through much of the band/crowd noise, whereas, a kick needs a bit of assistance to get the earth to move.
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<
Yea, im not saying I'm right or anything, but I'm keen to hear the results still... very interesting.
Tech-One
prjkt +

hmmm

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicy View Post

if you're strapped for cash you can pick up these -- http://www.alpinehearingprotection.c...icsafe_pro.htm

they're available on ebay and amazon and do a proper good job. almost on par with professionally moulded ones as these are made from some special material that ends up moulding to your ears once you put them in. the added benefit is that you can choose how much attenuation you want, as they come with 3 different kinds of filters.

I swear by these, have a couple of sets (one in the camera bag, one in the car)

Quote:

Originally Posted by puretrance89 View Post

My muzza's are more tanked up than your muzzas!

Ryan Alex +

Times thanked
<
What is the best volume having on headphones or monitors while producing?
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
I think that's like asking how long a piece of string is (twice as long as half of its length btw) as different headphones/speakers/line outs from the soundcard have different sound levels...then there's the room dynamics if you're ralking about speakers, too

Loud enough to hear shit without it distorting/hurting?

Like unless you have a dB meter no one is going to be able to answer that question

Last edited by Random_Kiwi: 18-Jun-12 at 03:28pm

Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<
my volume knob goes up to 11 (but i usually have it around 5)

hope this helps
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
silverspoon +

new and improved!

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,883 Times in 868 Posts
No flies on darrencolon.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »