The DJ Booth

Anyone still burns CDs?

View Poll Results: Do you still burn CDs?
Yeah 14 42.42%
Nah 19 57.58%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Tools
Rocky808 +

My Eyes! The Goggles Do Nothing!

Times thanked
<
Anyone still burns CDs?
Who has switched from burning CDs to only using USBs? Do you miss having CDs at all?
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
I don't...but A) I don't own CDJs and B) I don't play out pretty much ever anymore

Would burn CDs if I took the odd gig here or there, especially just for 1 hour sets, as the laptop + DVS is a hassle for such short sets...and TORQ isn't the most stable beast...would use it for sure if regular residency styled 2-3 hour sets, otherwise just fire off some CDs jammed full of the recent MP3 purchases.
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
m_xt +

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,490 Times in 784 Posts
I burn some MP3 CD's if I'm using a 1000 mk3 which happens occasionally. Otherwise, no. DVS at home and had CDJ's that could take USB before I sold them. I had a CD collection at one stage but after loosing it haven't bothered starting another. Plus I'm likely to loose or destroy CD's. Have lost a few USB's but haven't destroyed any.

Most of my CD burning I still do would be for my car only.
Check it ****s.
Soundcloud

LAZE
Onijin +

Pastor of Muppets

Times thanked
<
Only burn if I'm going to a mates that has non-USB capable decks or if a venue doesn't either. Rest of the time, USBs all the way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chimby View Post

Needs more Prog imo.

My SoundCloud
CircusMidget +

De plane! De plane!

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,386 Times in 652 Posts
There hasn't been many tunes worth burning for at least 18 months
wheelo007 +

Registered Offhander

Times thanked
<
Only so I can sit on my desktop and feel my goolies vibrate at x12 speed.
djbater +

Times thanked
<
I am surprised at the result of the poll. 2 out of 3 places that i regularly play still have 1000s
wheelo007 +

Registered Offhander

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by djbater View Post

I am surprised at the result of the poll. 2 out of 3 places that i regularly play still have 1000s

2 out of 3 of the djs I know either use control cds or a controller to bypass that. I usually have a couple of safety cds, but that's about it. Too much hard work burning cds as well as dragging WAVs, syncing rekordbox, cleaning vinyl, having girlfriend.
Screw that noise. One of them had to go and it weren't the girlf.
deejaydee +

Times thanked
<
Never play out anymore, so either use the turnies or just whack a USB into each CDJ400.
pr0gress +

Times thanked
<
I'm just a bedroom banger, but made the move to Traktor a year ago so burning CD's is a thing of the past.

If you were gigging its still probably a good idea to have a few CD's for backup incase you're stuck on an old CDJ1000.
But if your life is such a big joke, why should I care?
Nikofendi +

start here

Times thanked
<
i'm still burn cd and also put them into usb... because so many place here stil using cdj100.... lol
Rocky808 +

Times thanked
<
CDJ-100 seriously? Where are you from?
djbater +

Times thanked
<
I played at a place recently that had 1 x 100 and 1 x 800 mk1. And the place where I mostly work, the jogwheels don't work on the 1000s.
m_xt +

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by djbater View Post

And the place where I mostly work, the jogwheels don't work on the 1000s.

How do you use them? Traktor and sync? or press play at the exact right time?
Check it ****s.
Soundcloud

LAZE
Phorte +

Times thanked
<
i've never played on a CDJ (1000 or 2000) where BOTH players were working perfectly. either one had a dodgy cue button, or another had a jogwheel that skipped...
bulldozer +

OH YES OH YES MELBOURNE!!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by m_xt View Post

How do you use them? Traktor and sync? or press play at the exact right time?

Vinyl mode and pitch control imo.
daveyjaye +

has got more flavour than a packet of macaroni

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,493 Times in 2,394 Posts
i know this sounds stupid, but i use to love having all of music on cds in my 3 CD wallets i use to bring to gigs.

i knew where every single track was, even if i didnt know the name. and i liked the tactile nature of it.

it's kinda like what people who went from vinyl to CD's thought I imagine
Dave Juric Live Sets and Promo Mixes

Gigs

Dec 20th - Mahala & Stable - Alexkid - Railway
Dec 27th - Darkbeat & Stable - DJ T - Railway
Dec 28th - DARKBEAT - STANTON WARRIORS & A SKILLZ - Railway
Dec 31st - Mahala - PEPPERPOT - NYE - Railway
Jan 1st - CARL COX - SHED 9
djbater +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by bulldozer View Post

yeah, that is what i do... along with hitting play at the exact right time
djbater +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phorte View Post

i've never played on a CDJ (1000 or 2000) where BOTH players were working perfectly. either one had a dodgy cue button, or another had a jogwheel that skipped...

I find that a lot of people push the cue and play buttons way too hard. in my opinion it is an amateur move. I used to rent equipment to a few venues, and even had a little sign saying not to push them too hard, but time and time again they would lose the click, and eventually get to a point where any bump of the deck would cause the button to push
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveyjaye View Post

Bigtime! Never liked CD's compared to Vinyl...where I once had tracks I all knew by name and still have covers/colours to recognise, I then ended up with a shambles of a CD wallet chock full of the same boring looking CDs with track names/artists I struggled to remember, and combined with my god awful piss-poor excuse for "hand writing" scrawled on them, it was a nightmare

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

m_xt +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by bulldozer View Post

Lol, somehow I didn't think of this.
Check it ****s.
Soundcloud

LAZE
Rocky808 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveyjaye View Post

i know this sounds stupid, but i use to love having all of music on cds in my 3 CD wallets i use to bring to gigs.

i knew where every single track was, even if i didnt know the name. and i liked the tactile nature of it.

I used to do that too but can't be bothered anymore. I've got so many unburnt tracks on my hard drive I don't even want to think of all the work to burn and label them all
Nikofendi +

start here

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocky808 View Post

CDJ-100 seriously? Where are you from?

surabaya Indonesia.
I was played with, cdj 200, cdj 800, cdj 1000, cdj 2000
and yes I was also play cdj 100 too in some litlle cafe and club down this town. but dont worry if you invite for playing here in big venue or great club you dont meet cdj 100 minimun you will play with cdj 1000 above
inthebush +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi View Post

Bigtime! Never liked CD's compared to Vinyl...where I once had tracks I all knew by name and still have covers/colours to recognise, I then ended up with a shambles of a CD wallet chock full of the same boring looking CDs with track names/artists I struggled to remember, and combined with my god awful piss-poor excuse for "hand writing" scrawled on them, it was a nightmare

+1 and traktor etc is even worse. Taking the soul out of doing.
J0rdz +

Tewnnnnz

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,275 Times in 429 Posts
Still burn CDs. Way too many of the fukkers I might add.
I play out regularly and have found that it can never be guaranteed as to what type of setup I'll be confronted with. 2ks have been getting a little more common, but I'm hit with CDJ1000 MK1s (and below) all too regularly. Just way too risky only carrying MP3 CDs or USB sticks.
I also own a pair of CDJ1000s - a MK1 and MK3 - so that kind of adds to it.
| DJ | Facebook | Twitter | Blog | Substance |
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by inthebush View Post

+1 and traktor etc is even worse. Taking the soul out of doing.

I actually like playing of my lappy with TORQ a lot more than CDJs...well, really, it's not the CDJs so much as the ass of the CDs themselves.

I've taken a lot of time getting my tracks in appropriate folders and made heaps of notes in the Comments section giving the track a grading of 1 to 3 (being the tracks amplitude/intensity as a guide for whether its a warm up/cool down or more a building/peaktime kinda tune) and notes about the mood/feel/vocals/musical characteristics of the track...anything to help jog my memory as to what the track is, or means if I can remember the vocal hook, I can search that and find the track even if I can't remember the artist or track title

DH - 3 - big burly bottom end, rolling b-line, twinkly rising highs, glitchy fem vox "ya wanna get down tonight?"

That kinda shit, pretty pathetic really, but I don't play all that often, so it's impossible to remember anyting other than the few stock standards you've played a fair number of times

wheelo007 +

Registered Offhander

Times thanked
<
On a separate note, has anyone seen that X-DJ Aero and $-X1 by Pioneer? Anyone in the room who has rekordbox on their phone can queue up tracks from their phone onto the playlist. Unless for houseparties I can't imagine anything worse than other people dictating the music I play. At least one benefit from vinyl and cds was that you could only give them what you had in your bag.

There's a cost for convenience.
shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheelo007 View Post

On a separate note, has anyone seen that X-DJ Aero and $-X1 by Pioneer? Anyone in the room who has rekordbox on their phone can queue up tracks from their phone onto the playlist. Unless for houseparties I can't imagine anything worse than other people dictating the music I play. At least one benefit from vinyl and cds was that you could only give them what you had in your bag.

There's a cost for convenience.

I'm pretty sure you can make that so it's only accessible by you though. As in you can control it from your phone/pad but unless you give them persmission no on else can...

Otherwise god forbid anyone used one of those controllers in a club..

http://soundcloud.com/mmmbutch/
J0rdz +

Tewnnnnz

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,275 Times in 429 Posts
I think units like that are more geared towards mobile DJing - house parties, weddings, functions, etc. That wireless function would be REALLY handy in those type of situations where you're essentially acting as a human juke-box.
| DJ | Facebook | Twitter | Blog | Substance |
DJ D one +

Times thanked
<
Unfortunately still have CDJ1000 @ home, playing CDJ2000 @ the club, so even today i have burned 2 CDS...it is a pain in the ass, to bring a small suitcase with you...but at least is better than crates of vinyl...and some how I love pushing CDs in slot!!!
www.weeknsoundz.com
anditz +

Times thanked
<
I still burn cd's. Theyre safer than usb's imo. You don't get those silly error codes and you can play them at any gig with cdjs. Still too many clubs with 1000's. Even if it's just one gig, you don't want to be hassling the promoter asking them about what setups they might have.
Gezd +

Daddio

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I've taken a lot of time getting my tracks in appropriate folders and made heaps of notes in the Comments section giving the track a grading of 1 to 3 (being the tracks amplitude/intensity as a guide for whether its a warm up/cool down or more a building/peaktime kinda tune) and notes about the mood/feel/vocals/musical characteristics of the track...anything to help jog my memory as to what the track is, or means if I can remember the vocal hook, I can search that and find the track even if I can't remember the artist or track title

DH - 3 - big burly bottom end, rolling b-line, twinkly rising highs, glitchy fem vox "ya wanna get down tonight?"

Exactly this. In the old days if you had $50 to spend on records, you'd be lucky to get 3 or 4, and very lucky to get maybe 10 tracks you could use, and 5 you would absolutely love.

Now you only need to buy what you like and $50 gets you a lot of tunes, and its difficult to remember all the intricacies in them.
======================================
Latest mix: strickly downtempo affair.
https://soundcloud.com/redpeople/backtomine

Other mixes:
http://www.mixcrate.com/gezd#uploads
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by anditz View Post

I still burn cd's. Theyre safer than usb's imo. You don't get those silly error codes and you can play them at any gig with cdjs. Still too many clubs with 1000's. Even if it's just one gig, you don't want to be hassling the promoter asking them about what setups they might have.

Too many clubs? Its harder to find a club with 1000s these days in Brisbane.

I use SD cards, quicker transfer on them and I have never had a problem.
Tech-One
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
SD's are way faster and more reliable to USB's for sure...was thinking about this before, and as I don't play out at all, just play records or TORQ at home, it's been so fucking long since I burnt a CD I'm not even sure I remember HOW!

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gezd View Post

Exactly this. In the old days if you had $50 to spend on records, you'd be lucky to get 3 or 4, and very lucky to get maybe 10 tracks you could use, and 5 you would absolutely love.

Now you only need to buy what you like and $50 gets you a lot of tunes, and its difficult to remember all the intricacies in them.

It's actually sad how disposable the music is not because of it, you get so much for so little and forget 75% of them in no time flat...scroll through your DJing singles folders and there's a fucking tonne of "what the fuck is that?!?" tracks

shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<

Quote:

It's actually sad how disposable the music is not because of it, you get so much for so little and forget 75% of them in no time flat...scroll through your DJing singles folders and there's a fucking tonne of "what the fuck is that?!?" tracks

Easily my biggest issue with digital music.....

http://soundcloud.com/mmmbutch/
anditz +

Times thanked
<
You still definitely see 1000s in Melbourne. Especially in side rooms. I have 850s so I've never used SD cards. I use usb's if I'm playing at home and usually take cd and vinyl out unless I'm short on time to burn new cds - then I will use usb.
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by shr3dder View Post

Easily my biggest issue with digital music.....

Yep! I love what's it's done for ease of access, how someone can make a track and have it uploaded and shared with other DJs and played that night...but fuck me days, it's lead to piles and piles of shit music being made/released and destroyed all notion of "collecting" music for most people...it's all "free" to a lot of people and totally throw-away after no time

Edit - not to mention how it's killing the notion of an ALBUM...so few people actually listen to a whole album, pick and choose what tracks you want and forget the rest...it's like going backwards to the days when record companies were all about the hit singles, 7" records and occassional 12" EPs and shying away from bands even making albums/songs which weren't single material

dj deza +

i have no freinds

Times thanked
<
just stopped burning cd's moved on to usb (I'm still buying vinyl though) but i have the new 900 nexus's so thinking of using a dedicated iPod to store tunes my iphone works well i can use the record box app to sort tunes its pretty cool i am also thinking of trying the wi fi feature so i will be able to access all my tracks on my desktop in the other room in theory , only prob with that you have to connect cdjs to router and thats in other room so will have to run cable under house witch can be done but not sure if i could be bothered .
funk you
iwannawin +

Times thanked
<
I ALWAYS take CDs as well as USB. Had way too many shoddy pieces of equipment to deal with over the years to risk it.
Proper login is borked so this old one will have to do...

Tunes: http://soundcloud.com/simon-murphy
m_xt +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwannawin View Post

I ALWAYS take CDs as well as USB. Had way too many shoddy pieces of equipment to deal with over the years to risk it.

I did this the first few times, but haven't bothered since. Don't even own a CD burner anymore.
Check it ****s.
Soundcloud

LAZE
mjr84 +

Times thanked
<
cd's are dead to me me.
Dj DeKay +

~====~~~====~

Times thanked
<
I still burn the occasional CD, USB is on the rise.
-/--_=== _->>+<<<><--==---_*_
Dj Money Mike +

Times thanked
<
Dj money mike I still burn CDs and I give some out for free so people can listen to my mixes.Small South Ent.for in the mix mixes.
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
Teknikall +

Times thanked
<
dj money mike on the 3's and 4's!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derelict

Rename thread to 'Jrod asks stupid questions, receives good answers, ignores advise'.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »