Closed thread
  Tools
Dj Whisper +

Bouncing off clouds

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,092 Times in 588 Posts
Great work!

If you don't mind can you post an idea of your training schedule? Im trying to find something that will suit me for October, it's kind of tricky though because football season ends early September so it rules out long weekend runs until then..
DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,043 Times in 1,073 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dj Whisper View Post

Great work!

If you don't mind can you post an idea of your training schedule? Im trying to find something that will suit me for October, it's kind of tricky though because football season ends early September so it rules out long weekend runs until then..

I trained for my road marathon (in September) while also playing soccer, and it doesn't rule out long runs. If you're playing a full 90 minutes on Saturday, back it up with a ~20-25km easy run on Sunday and you'll be set. Mid-week training covers speed work, and you can add in a tempo run and/or race pace run as needed.
Dj Whisper +

Bouncing off clouds

Times thanked
<
Cheers mate, my issue is that I play Sunday mornings. Haven't been game enough to try get through 20+ km the day before a game..

Might be a good experiment though if I back the pace right off
DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
It seems like your runs at the moment are all just flat chat. If you really start upping your distances, this is a very good way to get injured. The idea of the long run is not to make you faster, it's aimed at making you used to spending long periods of time on your feet. The first rule of training for a marathon is don't get injured. Playing on Sunday does make things harder, but I think it's still possible.

As a guide, my GF is currently training for the Sydney marathon. She's aiming for sub 4 hours (although I think 3:50 is more likely). According to the Jack Daniels running formula, the "easy pace" for long runs should be about 5:55 - 6:15min/km, significantly slower than the 5:41min/km required for a 4 hour marathon, and a great deal slower than the 5 min/km she did in her last half. All of your runs should have a clear goal - you don't get faster in your long runs.
Dj Whisper +

Bouncing off clouds

Times thanked
<
Cheers
Yeah the last few months I've had a shitload going on both at and outside of work which means I'm lucky to get an hour free to run 3-4 times a week. Figured without having weekends free to rack up miles it was a good chance to try find and get used to running at my ideal race pace.

Now it's a matter of finding a program to help me get the mileage up without, as you mentioned, destroying my body
DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
Are you planning on the Melbourne marathon? I'd suggest having a look at the Daniels Running formula and seeing if you can adapt one of his training plans.

Unrelated: Good read about Ben Duffus coming third in the recent World Skyrunning Champs:
http://benduffus.com/2014/07/06/80km...ionships-2014/
Dj Whisper +

Bouncing off clouds

Times thanked
<
yeah Melbourne in October. Gives me about 14 weeks.. found what looks like a decent 12 week program, so fingers crossed I get some movement back in my knee over the next 2 weeks then I get can started! Program has the long easy runs each sunday, but at that kind of pace I'd probably be happy backing up and doing them after soccer (even if I take 5km off them initially to compensate)

Punched some of my quicker 10-12 km run times into the JD calculator and it's giving me exactly what my goal time is for the marathon, so I've got some easy and tempo paces now to work with.

the rest of my life can go and get fucked for the next 3 months
airconteka +

moving sideways in a forward motion

Times thanked
<
Thanked 12,697 Times in 6,102 Posts
You don't have to do your long run on the weekend, you could do a mid week one before or after work
Tobi +

Puck Bunny

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,209 Posts
A friend's little sister is running 2,350km across the Freedom Trail in South Africa (80+km a day over 32 days), to raise money for Save the Children.

http://www.freedomrunners.org

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astro-Boy View Post

http://theclimbingcyclist.com/climbs...ark/mt-hotham/

I will run/walk/crawl that in under 7 hours no later than 31DEC14.

Your move, Tobi.

Quote:

Hotham is only 30km, I'm planning to do that as one of my long training runs.

airconteka +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by mischa21 View Post

thanks - actually had way too much energy at the end. should have gone harder!

I started w 4 hrs in mind, but after about 28km sitting around 5:20/km, I thought I could make it under 3:45 (glenn yous et the challenge in my head!). pushed it as much as I could so stoked to get 3:45 flat. in hindsight could have gone a little bit faster in the first 25km, but had weird shooting pain in my ankle which was came and went throughout so I was wary not to go too hard in case it got unbearable. all in all I think I ran the race really well.
I also stopped to go to the bathroom along the way, and hug my cheering dad (which I now wish I hadn't - those precious seconds! haha) but really enjoyed it overall.

Missed this, yeah seemed to me like that was a more realistic goal time for you. Much easier to push yourself if you have a goal, the art of course is setting an achievable one lest you push yourself too hard. Anyway you beat my first marathon time by a minute so you've got a sub 3:30 in you for sure
Unspoilt by Progress
DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuncanM View Post

59km and a heavy (for me) squat session in the last 5 days. Time for a rest.

I was just talking to a mate who is doing a 120 miler in August, he'd just got back from his second run of the day and had done 34km for the day on a Wednesday.
mischa21 +

yessum

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,083 Posts

Quote:

I was just talking to a mate who is doing a 120 miler in August, he'd just got back from his second run of the day and had done 34km for the day on a Wednesday.

that's just getting silly. how on earth would you have the time? plus, your whole life would be consumed in running and running prep. impressive, but silly.
mischa21 +

yessum

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dj Whisper View Post

Great work!

I didn't really work to one except to build my long runs on the weekend.

During the week I do 3 body attack classes, 3 pump classes, 2 body weight circuit conditioning classes, and 2 run sessions (interval hills around 6-10km). then on a sunday I'd do 1 long run.

I started prepping for the marathon after running a half marathon (so I was trained and comfortable at 21kms).
I then just did 4 long runs: 28km, 33km, 36km, 24km leading up to the marathon.

I think ideally if you can run 2-3 times during the week (speed, tempo, interval work) and then one long run on the weekend.

I train a lot during the week and was worried about overtraining, but I tried to take it easy where I could, and always made sure I did the long run. you learn a lot from that, and that is what helps you understand what running for 3+ hours feels like, and what it feels like after!
Astro-Boy +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 23,515 Times in 10,717 Posts

Quote:

The Sun-Herald City2Surf presented by Westpac

Name Notta Smartman
Category M30-39
Group The Sun-Herald Green Start(sub 90mins)

Definitely won't regret this, no sir.

Some jerk I know has ruined this by having his birthday blowout in Melbourne the night before C2S, so I'm just gonna do a 56km ultra in January instead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heraclitus

Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.

Tobi +

Puck Bunny

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Some jerk I know has ruined this by having his birthday blowout in Melbourne the night before C2S, so I'm just gonna do a 56km ultra in January run up Hotham instead.

FYP.

Quote:

Your move, Tobi.

Quote:

Astro-Boy +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.

DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
Easy money. 30km ain't nuthin' to ya.
Tobi +

Puck Bunny

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Holding you to that.

(sorry nads, the sperg kid had to go).

Quote:

Your move, Tobi.

Quote:

Astro-Boy +

Times thanked
<

I'm actually really excited about getting back into it. Also planning a weekend on the peninsula where I'll do Dromana to Cape Schanck on the Saturday, stay at the lighthouse overnight, then back to Dromana on Sunday. Yeeeeee.

Quote:

Astro-Boy +

Times thanked
<
Also, check this out.

lolfuck.

Quote:

DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
My buddy who did 34km the other day is doing Fat Dog - 120 miles with the same vertical gain as climbing Everest from sea level. I think Western States was originally a horse race until some bloke turned up without a horse. As you do.
Astro-Boy +

Times thanked
<
People are so silly.

Quote:

Tobi +

Puck Bunny

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I'm actually really excited about getting back into it. Also planning a weekend on the peninsula where I'll do Dromana to Cape Schanck on the Saturday, stay at the lighthouse overnight, then back to Dromana on Sunday. Yeeeeee.

Nice work, glad to see you are getting back into things.

After riding on the weekend & being way too sore for my own good my only solution was that I need to train (& snowboard) more.

Also, I've discovered that winter is a great time for running as the temp is great. Sure it's cold when you start out but within a couple of minutes it doesn't matter.

Quote:

Your move, Tobi.

Quote:

airconteka +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

My buddy who did 34km the other day is doing Fat Dog - 120 miles with the same vertical gain as climbing Everest from sea level. I think Western States was originally a horse race until some bloke turned up without a horse. As you do.

Saw a photo of Brendans toes after that, think he broke one around the 75 mile mark. Equally gross and impressive.
Unspoilt by Progress
airconteka +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Some jerk I know has ruined this by having his birthday blowout in Melbourne the night before C2S, so I'm just gonna do a 56km ultra in January instead.

I'm yet to receive my invite
Unspoilt by Progress
WalterBrown +

Times thanked
<
haha^
Spoiler:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gruso View Post

Don't worry. Like his job, relationships and username, it's not permanent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianwil1976 View Post

I heartily recommend visiting Budapest; every chick looks like she could've easily done double-anal in a Private movie.

DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by airconteka View Post

Saw a photo of Brendans toes after that, think he broke one around the 75 mile mark. Equally gross and impressive.

Fuckin' eh! Sub 16 hour and 7th overall on top of his 8th (I think) at UTMF and it's a pretty good year for the guy. But what does he bench?
mischa21 +

yessum

Times thanked
<

Quote:

nice work!
DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
I'm moving tomorrow and will be about 3km away from the Lane Cove National Park and Great North Walk. Aw yiss. Mother. Fucking. Trails.
Dj Whisper +

Bouncing off clouds

Times thanked
<
nice one.

my 3 month/6 days a week marathon training plan begins on monday.

problem - I havent run in a month, and still can't straighten my knee because i tore my popliteus muscle!
WalterBrown +

Times thanked
<
knee is the worst, i tore my pcl in my knee, 4 years and counting morning pain
Spoiler:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gruso View Post

Don't worry. Like his job, relationships and username, it's not permanent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianwil1976 View Post

I heartily recommend visiting Budapest; every chick looks like she could've easily done double-anal in a Private movie.

mischa21 +

yessum

Times thanked
<
anyone done the stadium stomp? looks pretty cool
http://www.stadiumstomp.com.au/
Derelict +

Derpcore gets the derpy dollars

Times thanked
<
Thanked 5,918 Times in 3,420 Posts
Found out today that one of the project managers at my work is a 3 hour 20 marathon runner and her husband has completed the Hawaiian Ironman. Shame I found out on my last day
DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
Interdasting.
gotamangina +

o.O

Times thanked
<
Thanked 9,243 Times in 4,157 Posts
Turmeric & Curcumin are getting a good rep for that at the moment too.

I'm also seeing a lot of new information suggesting that antiinflammatory procedures & supplements work against the adaptation response that training requires.
DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
Interesting. Links?
gotamangina +

o.O

Times thanked
<
No, mostly discussions on podcasts. I'll see if they link to anything on any of the transcripts though.
gotamangina +

o.O

Times thanked
<
I found these...

http://www.scienceofrunning.com/2013...lammation.html

http://www.scienceofrunning.com/2013...t-to-stop.html

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-p...-your-training
airconteka +

Times thanked
<
I find running a time of peaceful reflection, I can only imagine the hell as nads tries to synthesize the multitude of theories she has read
gotamangina +

o.O

Times thanked
<
They're swimming around in there anyway, running only makes that easier

Seriously, I read this shit for fun. There is no hell.
Astro-Boy +

Times thanked
<
6th of December, Tobor:

We should make a weekend of it.
Tobi +

Puck Bunny

Times thanked
<

Quote:

6th of December, Tobor:

We should make a weekend of it.

Balls. Lorne is that weekend, I'll be paddling my little heart out & trying not to drown.

Weekend after?
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
<
Thanked 17,049 Times in 7,537 Posts
Where is point to pinnacle in that list?
Astro-Boy +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tobi View Post

Balls. Lorne is that weekend, I'll be paddling my little heart out & trying not to drown.

Weekend after?

Weekend before would probably be better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by big eddie View Post

Where is point to pinnacle in that list?

November 16th. That screen grab is of the first week in December.
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
<
Thanked 17,049 Times in 7,537 Posts
Yeeew

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

Tobi +

Puck Bunny

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Weekend before would probably be better.

29th & 30th of Nov?

Quote:

Your move, Tobi.

Quote:

Tobi +

Puck Bunny

Times thanked
<
Also you going to run up the road or the trail?

Quote:

Your move, Tobi.

Quote:

Astro-Boy +

Times thanked
<
Yes.

The trail is shorter but steeper, amirite? Linkage?
Tobi +

Puck Bunny

Times thanked
<
Umm - you can either go up Bon Accord Spur or Bungalow Spur tracks.

http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/ass...Feathertop.pdf
http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1985474

Or check out the Harreitville Hash - which is pretty much up & down again
http://www.mapmyrun.com/au/wodonga-v...oute-145350493
http://www.strava.com/activities/120665261
http://runningwild.net.au/razorback-run/

Quote:

Your move, Tobi.

Quote:

DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
On the weekend I discovered some sweet trail running almost straight out my front door. I'm pretty psyched about that.
Closed thread

« Previous Thread Next Thread »