The DJ Booth

Alternative to burning cds.

Tools
boots2 +

Times thanked
<
Alternative to burning cds.
Ok, so I have 2 cdj 1000 mk3's. I have them about 8 years or so & burning cds, writing down tracklists etc. is a bit of a pain. Also, I'm not sure how long more cds will be around. Is there an alternative to burning discs with the equipment I have? Is there any program available which lets me play off a laptop to the cdjs? I'm thinking there isn't.
SoulWhiteMan +

is on the national broadband network

Times thanked
<
http://www.native-instruments.com/en...r-scratch-a10/

You could use serato, traktor, or cross dj and use "control cds" that would make both cdjs responsive to the program...these have a soundcard interace between the laptop mixer a d cd that decodes the signal from the cd decks and lets you manipulate the tracks within the software....
SoulWhiteMan +

Times thanked
<
http://serato.com/scratchlive
SoulWhiteMan +

Times thanked
<
http://www.mixvibes.com/products/cross

You can also use cross dj which supports any audio interface, so if you are a bit skint you could buy an m audio connectiv and use the control cds as well from the old torq plarform
boots2 +

Times thanked
<
Brilliant. I didn't know serato or traktor worked with cdj's. I just never had the need to look in to it. I'll look in to the cross dj link. I'm kinda clueless when it comes to technology so will check out the least expensive option 1st.

Thanks for the reply.
Dj DeKay +

~====~~~====~

Times thanked
<
Hey mate, I had a similar issue with my old denon 3500s, you can use a timecode cd to play on Traktor or Serato.
I ended up going with Traktor, picked it up second hand off ebay and it has been great.
Although I admit since then I have finally decided to upgrade to some cdj850s
-/--_=== _->>+<<<><--==---_*_
boots2 +

Times thanked
<
Ok, thanks DeKay.
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts
or better yet, sell the cdj1000s and buy a second hand pair of usb/cdjs (ie cdj350/400)

traktors great, but its a pain having to plug the soundcard etc into a mixer at gigs (and annoys the dj playing before you)
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
DJ D one +

Times thanked
<
nek minute you'll have an 100 of usb key just like CDs...the format I see more and more is like a MacBook and serato +SL, then the DJM 900srt might become standard so really serato is the way to go, although I own a traktor S2, and I must say that features in the traktor software are dope, and I have had much problems myself not going for a cheap A6, but my instinct says serato SL3...

D1
www.weeknsoundz.com
DJ D one +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by pomrocks View Post

or better yet, sell the cdj1000s and buy a second hand pair of usb/cdjs (ie cdj350/400)

traktors great, but its a pain having to plug the soundcard etc into a mixer at gigs (and annoys the dj playing before you)

I feel you, and surely it could be annoying, it is all in how you do it,,,we run small festival with over a dozen djs, some had to plugging controllers and some sound cards, and that is where you can see the pros and the not so pros, that would do sound check in the middle of the current dj set...

D1
www.weeknsoundz.com
trouble hifire +

wax addict

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Imo serato/traktor djs should be practiced well enough to be able to get away with just sticking a pair of line rca's into the mixer quickly when during the last djs last song as to not get in the previous persons way. I know that doesn't leave a bunch of time to setup and mix out of their tune but that's the price you can for dvs. I tend to set mine up as much as possible to the side so it takes 30 seconds to plug the rest in and be kicking.

I'm too nice to stop someone from trying to work around me (especially with massive traktor/turntable setups), but it shits me to no end when they are leaning dead over the mixer trying to plug shit in while I've got both faders up.
http://soundcloud.com/hifire

Catch me playing @

Gangarang @ Rumpus Room 8th of June
Junkyard Sessions @ Rumpus Room 16th of June
DTrancer +

I don't know how to change my user title?!1

Times thanked
<
I just make them pump the fist in the air for me. Got to make them useful somehow
shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ D one View Post

nek minute you'll have an 100 of usb key just like CDs...the format I see more and more is like a MacBook and serato +SL, then the DJM 900srt might become standard so really serato is the way to go, although I own a traktor S2, and I must say that features in the traktor software are dope, and I have had much problems myself not going for a cheap A6, but my instinct says serato SL3...

D1

I'll eat a hat if any of those Traktor/Serato supported mixers become standard over here. I think most places having 900s/2000s already covers most bases in regards to HID or USB.

http://soundcloud.com/mmmbutch/
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ D one View Post

D1

If i'm playing off USB then i only need one hard drive

https://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10599
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
DJ D one +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by shr3dder View Post

I'll eat a hat if any of those Traktor/Serato supported mixers become standard over here. I think most places having 900s/2000s already covers most bases in regards to HID or USB.

I know in OZ they do get up to date with the gear pretty quickly, but they are still many parts of the world, where the CDJ 1000 is still the king!!!

I am not sure how the djm 900 srt goes in term of connectivity, but if it makes easier to connect your DVS, and I was a club owner that get DJs from about anywhere, I would put in the extra money so I don't have any drama when it's time to switch, I do not see the extra it cost as a bid deal, but that's me.

D1
www.weeknsoundz.com
DJ D one +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

If i'm playing off USB then i only need one hard drive

https://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10599

It does make sense, although I am guessing you have a backup, some place you jus need to go to the toilet and nek minute your hard drive is gone!!! So it is why I would rather use USB stick, but this is not the direction I have chosen for a whole lots of reason...

D1
www.weeknsoundz.com

« Previous Thread Next Thread »