The DJ Booth

Traktor

Tools
Ghostman +

Times thanked
<
Traktor
Hey party people,
I just installed the latest version of Traktor Scratch after using the the first version and I noticed it has a SYNC button..I have not used it yet as I do it all by ear but I would like to know if people do use it and what about the pros..would they??? By the way I'm not knocking anyone that does use it....each to their own.
m_xt +

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,490 Times in 784 Posts
The sync option is pretty cool to have. I had CDJ's but then sold them and got traktor, an x1 controller and 2 x 1200's. Once you analyse the tracks it works pretty well also, although I do find it doesn't work perfectly all the time. Obviously doesn't work as well for older funk and disco tracks with live drummers. One place I DJ at regularly has very old CDJ 1000's and they don't seem to work with the traktor timecodes, so I pretty much play there with just the mixer, soundcard and X1.

I believe Richie Hawtin uses sync. There aren't really any con's other than the few tracks that don't seem to work with it like I said. Beatmatching can be fun on the vinyls but it doesn't really add anything to the sound of a mix by doing it manually imo.
Check it ****s.
Soundcloud

LAZE

Last edited by m_xt: 23-Jun-14 at 04:56pm

Ghostman +

Times thanked
<
yea i kinda like the idea...would be good for doing recordings too get that perfect set
trouble hifire +

wax addict

Times thanked
<
vinyl
http://soundcloud.com/hifire

Catch me playing @

Gangarang @ Rumpus Room 8th of June
Junkyard Sessions @ Rumpus Room 16th of June
shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
Sync has been in Traktor and Traktor Scratch for years?

Quote:

Originally Posted by m_xt View Post

. One place I DJ at regularly has very old CDJ 1000's and they don't seem to work with the traktor timecodes, so I pretty much play there with just the mixer, soundcard and X1.

I had that issue on the weekend. Rocked up to a gig where I'd been told I'd have 850s. Ended up actually being 1000s, and I didn't have CDs with me. Luckily I brought my laptop and A6 with me, but my god timecode is balls on a CDJ, I hadn't used it before so the cueing issues really caught me by surprise.

http://soundcloud.com/mmmbutch/
m_xt +

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,490 Times in 784 Posts
^ Yeah, the newer CDJ's work pretty well with traktor as they don't need the timecode CD's, I tried the old 800 mk2 I have in the garage with timecodes just to see how it went and it didn't even play.

Anyone using an F1 with traktor? I've used mine a few times but it seems like you need 2 of them to make a proper go of it. I guess I could just get a bunch of one shot samples and use it that way rather than trying to use it as another 'deck'.
Check it ****s.
Soundcloud

LAZE
DJ D one +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post

Hey party people,
I just installed the latest version of Traktor Scratch after using the the first version and I noticed it has a SYNC button..I have not used it yet as I do it all by ear but I would like to know if people do use it and what about the pros..would they??? By the way I'm not knocking anyone that does use it....each to their own.

The sync works well when the grid is in the right place, but when it is not, then you have problems...unless you are not using it.
I always found that beatgrid a bit tricky, I remember Torq software at some stage was easy to move using the controller jog wheel for example with the xponent, cannot say the same with the S2, cannot do it that easily, I think unless you use the laptop keyboard...it is such an advanced piece of software though...and when you do private parties and you are kind of in the party, then sync button comes handy, but it is a different type of djing...

D1
www.weeknsoundz.com
baax +

Times thanked
<
I've got a bit of a hybrid set up at the moment, as I only have a 2 channel sound card I'm only using 2 Traktor decks but I'm bringing in a third track from an old mp3 player, in this case I find the sync to be handy so I only have to really worry about keeping the mp3 player lined up, it works well.
I find that Traktor is so accurate that when I'm only mixing two tracks there is no real need for sync, I can make nice adjustments using my controller (Denon DNS-2000).

I haven't beat gridded any of my tracks, If it doesn't line up when the sync is on I just push or pull the jog wheel on the controller until it has lined up.
SOUNDCLOUD

MIXCLOUD
natebizzle +

Times thanked
<
Sync has saved me on 2 occasions that I can remember. The most recent, got asked to play for a regular Sunday night for their first night at a new venue. I use turntables with Traktor, when I got there, the setup was 2 CDJ2000s with 3 1200's that weren't plugged in. All good I thought, I'll just use my timecode CDs that I thought I had in my bag... they weren't there. I got to the gig 20 minutes early so had some time to try and set up a pair of the 1200's. To my delight I discovered that some genius had snipped off all of the ground wires at the end and tried to pair them together and failed miserably! I couldn't use them because of the bad signal. Ended up having to play just using my X1, sync helped keep everything, well... synced... with the exception of a few tracks that had inconsistent beat grids so some creative effects helped out there. Since then though I've sorted out how to use the 2000's with HID so if I ever forget my CDs in a venue that doesn't cater for vinyl again at least I can still play!
IHAVENEWLEGS +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 6,062 Times in 3,521 Posts
I have to say I am a full convert now, I started mixing in 97 so it was all vinyl for a very long time to a point that I never even learnt how to use CDJ's at all. I'm using the S4 mk2 and really utilising the remix decks, which while a bit of a head fuck at first once you get them going it is amazing what you can do. Massive fan.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »