The DJ Booth

Kontrol S8

Reply
  Tools
Gezd +

Daddio

Gezd's Avatar
Joined
Aug '02
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Posts
405
Kontrol S8
I got quite excited when the leaks started coming out a couple of weeks ago. But then I saw the price: $1,600
Just a bit too pricey for me personally I'm afraid.

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/traktor/dj-controllers/traktor-kontrol-s8/
======================================
Latest mix: strickly downtempo affair.
https://soundcloud.com/redpeople/backtomine

Other mixes:
http://www.mixcrate.com/gezd#uploads
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Random_Kiwi's Avatar
Joined
Aug '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 185
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
Posts
16,120
People pay $2K+ for one CDJ 2000 Nexus, but $1600 is "too pricey" for a 4 channel mixer/controller?
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

pomrocks's Avatar
Joined
Sep '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 527
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts
Posts
14,092
i cant wait for my first dj to rock to one of my parties think they are going to play off one of these
Playing at;


Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page


SHRUG
trouble hifire +

wax addict

trouble          hifire's Avatar
Joined
Jan '08
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 75
Thanked 105 Times in 70 Posts
Posts
1,542
I really don't get the S8, who is it being marketed too? The lack of platters is a weird choice to start with, does that mean you have to sync everything?

Perhaps I could see it being used in a live sense but then why wouldn't you use ableton and a push/maschine (or combo for the same price).

It just seems like an odd product from NI
http://soundcloud.com/hifire

Catch me playing @

Gangarang @ Rumpus Room 8th of June
Junkyard Sessions @ Rumpus Room 16th of June
crowy +

odd user

crowy's Avatar
Joined
Nov '03
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 471
Thanked 186 Times in 98 Posts
Posts
2,019
shutupandtakemymoney.jpeg


and I don't even know why??!! NI Brainwashing mostly...... I kind of want something to play house parties with instead of moving mixer and turntables around. But maybe I should just look for some one upgrading to this and buy their S2 or S4.
meh..
Strech +

Registered User

Strech's Avatar
Joined
Mar '06
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 79
Thanked 256 Times in 90 Posts
Posts
2,804

Quote:

Originally Posted by trouble hifire View Post

I really don't get the S8, who is it being marketed too? The lack of platters is a weird choice to start with, does that mean you have to sync everything?

Perhaps I could see it being used in a live sense but then why wouldn't you use ableton and a push/maschine (or combo for the same price).

It just seems like an odd product from NI

Yeah to me this one’s still a bit of a head scratcher.. Judging by the demo videos they are going for the live performer market..

Not having a jog wheel isn’t going to be to popular.. As you mentioned above why not just go for Ableton if that’s the case?

It’s a strange one.. I’d still like to get my hands on one & test it all out but I doubt I’ll be getting one. Happy with my S4 MK2.
Hip Hop | House | Re-Edits

http://soundcloud.com/kid-deep
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Random_Kiwi's Avatar
Joined
Aug '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 185
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
Posts
16,120
The S4 is more than enough for most people...you can run that as 2 channels as your Turntables (or Timecode vinyl playing MP3s) and 2 channels as the platters for physical controlling MP3's, eh? So 4 channels of a mix of wax or digital all with built in 4 channel mixer. Awesome
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
Gezd +

Daddio

Gezd's Avatar
Joined
Aug '02
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Posts
405

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi View Post

People pay $2K+ for one CDJ 2000 Nexus, but $1600 is "too pricey" for a 4 channel mixer/controller?

I'll bite.
To some or many, this may represent great value for money. The context of "too pricey was "...a bit too pricey for me personally....".
======================================
Latest mix: strickly downtempo affair.
https://soundcloud.com/redpeople/backtomine

Other mixes:
http://www.mixcrate.com/gezd#uploads
stoydgen +

Registered User

stoydgen's Avatar
Joined
Apr '09
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 16
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Posts
158
To be fair - this does solve one of my biggest gripes with this traktor based business in that you could potentially close the laptop. Looking forward to seeing what can be done with it, but goodluck finding a booth that can squeeze it in unless you're the only DJ/the main act.
Ron Maran - DJ and occasional Ranter/Reviewer
Facebook |Soundcloud | Website
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

pomrocks's Avatar
Joined
Sep '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 527
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts
Posts
14,092

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoydgen View Post

goodluck finding a booth that can squeeze it in unless you're the only DJ/the main act.

exactly.....the extra size / pain in the arse on carting around / plugging in far outweighs any benefits imo
Playing at;


Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page


SHRUG
Onijin +

Pastor of Muppets

Onijin's Avatar
Joined
Jan '10
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 3,562
Thanked 654 Times in 416 Posts
Posts
4,270
Probably would need an industrial strength controller stand for something like this in a DJ booth in order to get it to fit. But yeah, maybe down the track I might look into getting one, but I've got 5 million other things I want to get first.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chimby View Post

Needs more Prog imo.

My SoundCloud
minimal_damage +

Registered User

minimal_damage's Avatar
Joined
Oct '09
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Posts
60
hmmm....decisions decisions.

option 1:
rock up to the club with pre-analysed tracks on USB keys. plug into CDJs. rock the crowd.

option 2:
rock up to the club with an S8. plus a laptop. plus cabling and and anything else you might need to plug into the sound system. potentially do all of this in the dark. worry about your kit getting messed up/stolen etc. convicing promoters/club management to let you do this mid set if you are playing after someone.

i think i know which option i'd be leaning towards.
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

pomrocks's Avatar
Joined
Sep '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 527
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts
Posts
14,092

Quote:

Originally Posted by minimal_damage View Post

hmmm....decisions decisions.

option 1:
rock up to the club with pre-analysed tracks on USB keys. plug into CDJs. rock the crowd.

option 2:
rock up to the club with an S8. plus a laptop. plus cabling and and anything else you might need to plug into the sound system. potentially do all of this in the dark. worry about your kit getting messed up/stolen etc. convicing promoters/club management to let you do this mid set if you are playing after someone.

i think i know which option i'd be leaning towards.

you also forgot to add to option 2, annoying both the dj before and after you setting up gear
Playing at;


Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page


SHRUG
trouble hifire +

wax addict

trouble          hifire's Avatar
Joined
Jan '08
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 75
Thanked 105 Times in 70 Posts
Posts
1,542
^^^^ Agreed, I am a serato user and love using it out but a bit of respect goes a long way when setting up / packing down your kit.

It shits me to no end having the dj after you leaning over the mixer and trying to plug his shit in when you still have 20 mins in your set. If you can't do the setup within the last song of the previous dj then you should stick to cds or wax.
http://soundcloud.com/hifire

Catch me playing @

Gangarang @ Rumpus Room 8th of June
Junkyard Sessions @ Rumpus Room 16th of June
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Random_Kiwi's Avatar
Joined
Aug '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 185
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
Posts
16,120
Yeah, if you've got your shit together, you should be able to do that in a minute or so...have your lappy all fired up and ready to go, unplug, re-plug for spare channel, mix...then do the other deck
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low

Last edited by Random_Kiwi: 12-Nov-14 at 02:27pm

Strech +

Registered User

Strech's Avatar
Joined
Mar '06
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 79
Thanked 256 Times in 90 Posts
Posts
2,804

Quote:

Originally Posted by minimal_damage View Post

hmmm....decisions decisions.

option 1:
rock up to the club with pre-analysed tracks on USB keys. plug into CDJs. rock the crowd.

option 2:
rock up to the club with an S8. plus a laptop. plus cabling and and anything else you might need to plug into the sound system. potentially do all of this in the dark. worry about your kit getting messed up/stolen etc. convicing promoters/club management to let you do this mid set if you are playing after someone.

i think i know which option i'd be leaning towards.

This makes it sound like it's the most pain staking thing ever.. when really it's simple.. I generally ask the DJ before me if I can plug in the RCA & after that I'm in my own space setting my stuff up.. It's not THAT difficult.. Or that much of a burden for the previous DJ to step away from the mixer for a minute or two.. Never had any issues even in tiny booths..
Hip Hop | House | Re-Edits

http://soundcloud.com/kid-deep
IHAVENEWLEGS +

Registered User

IHAVENEWLEGS's Avatar
Joined
Sep '11
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 1,463
Thanked 6,062 Times in 3,521 Posts
Posts
14,732
Biggest problem I see is fitting it into a booth, I use an S4 and thats bad enough, have moved on to K2's now though which is much more manageable.
minimal_damage +

Registered User

minimal_damage's Avatar
Joined
Oct '09
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Posts
60

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strech View Post

This makes it sound like it's the most pain staking thing ever.. when really it's simple.. I generally ask the DJ before me if I can plug in the RCA & after that I'm in my own space setting my stuff up.. It's not THAT difficult.. Or that much of a burden for the previous DJ to step away from the mixer for a minute or two.. Never had any issues even in tiny booths..

^^i dont think the S8 is a bad product, and i'll probably get one sooner or later. in fact i love NI products - i am huge fan and user of Traktor and have been for years. but the problem here is not the products NI have. i just cant see myself rocking up to a club with a ton of kit. the problem here is really the pragmatics of using these products in the club scene, regardless of how good they are. setting up a controller and laptop mid-set can be a pain, and yes it would be pain staking - maybe not the most painstaking thing ever, but annoying and inconvenient as hell nevertheless. the S4 has a big footprint. the S8 has even a bigger footprint. the only way i can see NI making inroads into the club scene with this controller is if they started either giving them away to established clubs to install or selling them to clubs at a heavily discounted price to those clubs, so they can have them pre-installed, pre-wired to the sound system and ready to go in the booth. pioneer had the strategy of plug and play down pat with the combination of rekordbox and cdjs. how often do you have to rock up to a club with your own cdjs and mixer? like never right? you just rock up with your tunes. no fuss, just plug and play. changeovers easily done. that said, i think where the S8 could potentially dominate and start becoming a standard is in the mobile dj/house party scene. i'd easily take one of these over a mixer and 2 cdjs to a party.
Strech +

Registered User

Strech's Avatar
Joined
Mar '06
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 79
Thanked 256 Times in 90 Posts
Posts
2,804

Quote:

Originally Posted by minimal_damage View Post

^^i dont think the S8 is a bad product, and i'll probably get one sooner or later. in fact i love NI products - i am huge fan and user of Traktor and have been for years. but the problem here is not the products NI have. i just cant see myself rocking up to a club with a ton of kit. the problem here is really the pragmatics of using these products in the club scene, regardless of how good they are. setting up a controller and laptop mid-set can be a pain, and yes it would be pain staking - maybe not the most painstaking thing ever, but annoying and inconvenient as hell nevertheless. the S4 has a big footprint. the S8 has even a bigger footprint. the only way i can see NI making inroads into the club scene with this controller is if they started either giving them away to established clubs to install or selling them to clubs at a heavily discounted price to those clubs, so they can have them pre-installed, pre-wired to the sound system and ready to go in the booth. pioneer had the strategy of plug and play down pat with the combination of rekordbox and cdjs. how often do you have to rock up to a club with your own cdjs and mixer? like never right? you just rock up with your tunes. no fuss, just plug and play. changeovers easily done. that said, i think where the S8 could potentially dominate and start becoming a standard is in the mobile dj/house party scene. i'd easily take one of these over a mixer and 2 cdjs to a party.

Yeah I feel ya.. sometimes if it's a simple 1 hour gig all I feel like doing is plugging in the USB's & getting started rather than lugging around everything.. I think it won't happen anytime soon the idea of having these controllers inside clubs but who knows what will come out in 5 years or so..

Either way I like bringing in my S4 to gigs & its only a small inconvenience for me to setup but atleast I know my gear works unlike some places where you get all sort of dodgey equipment.
Hip Hop | House | Re-Edits

http://soundcloud.com/kid-deep
DJ Carter +

Registered User

DJ Carter's Avatar
Joined
May '07
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Posts
63

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi View Post

People pay $2K+ for one CDJ 2000 Nexus, but $1600 is "too pricey" for a 4 channel mixer/controller?

In fairness the CDJ haa stood up to testing in the world's biggest - and smallest - clubs, but the Kontrol S8 is an unknown. True, NI is an amazing and well respected brand, and may one day give Pioneer a run for their buck. For now, Pioneer is the tried and true leader of the mixer market. And that's coming from a huge NI fanboy.

Last edited by DJ Carter: 05-Apr-15 at 08:41am

Reason: Misspelling

dubking +

Registered User

dubking's Avatar
Joined
Aug '13
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
7
Whether it's a good or a bad thing, the removal of the platters is just a reflection of how DJs are mixing these days, using sync a lot more.
Get the best Soundcloud free downloads for DJs, curated daily. All songs have tags like 'Floorfiller', BPM, Key & more tags that you can filter with! http://www.filter.dj
meldavid +

I used to be a raver like you, but then I took a kick to the knee.

meldavid's Avatar
Joined
Sep '02
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 196
Thanked 672 Times in 397 Posts
Posts
5,338
This thing looks perfect for playing around with stems.
Reply

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Posting Rules

+
    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts