Tools
begirl +

where are the hybrid tickets !!!

Times thanked
<
Mp3 vs WAV, AIFF - What's better for Dj'ing
Hi guys, just wanted your thought on the following,
What Audio files are best to download for Dj'ing MP3, AIFF or WAV
Does it really make a difference? WAV is massive!
thanks in advance
b
travellingpom +

Times thanked
<
I am sure people will dissagree with me but WAV or AIFF any day. I can hear the difference in my home setup just as i can with decent rcas. However its all down to individual choice and cost. granted in some venues the system so rubbish that your not going to hear a lot of difference but if you have a decent rig then bottom end is more defined and more overall clarity to the tune......
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
320K MP3 is fine, it's really not that noticable a difference unless you're playing on a super smooth clear system...WAV will have a bit more clarity in the bottom end, but seriously, put it on in any average club or average home setup, one is going to be able to tell the difference.
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
J0rdz +

Tewnnnnz

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,275 Times in 429 Posts
Are you playing to a group of high-end audio engineers? Yes: WAV

Or are you playing to a club of munted/drunk twenty-somethings? Yes: 320kbps MP3
| DJ | Facebook | Twitter | Blog | Substance |
richcur +

Peanuts

Times thanked
<
I only ever use 720kbps mp4 files
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
<
So, serious discussion intended here, just how bad is the bass content in a 320kbps file really, huh?

Clarity in the bottom end of a sine wave that's only wobbling back and forth 40 to 50 times a second???

Whereas arguably, it's the high end (trying to track the detail in a waveform flicking back and forth, say, 10,000 times a second with only 1/4 of the original wave data material) is where the seriously hard task of mp3 compression comes into play.

Anyway, I regularly see the complaint of bass from mp3s being critiqued, but I'm not hearing it myself.
teknik +

...what sort of name is teknik!?

Times thanked
<
AIFF for the quality and tags but uncompressed audio would only be relevant if you're playing on Funktion One systems at a large venue or with international acts. What J0rdz said is truth.
Kwzé SoundCloud

diiFX SoundCloud

diiTuning Mastering Lab

Store DJ Dude
shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by travellingpom View Post

I am sure people will dissagree with me but WAV or AIFF any day. I can hear the difference in my home setup just as i can with decent rcas. .

I'm not audio/sound expert but I've read a lot from people that know a lot more then me saying the whole fancy cable thing is a bit of marketing trick/snake oil type of deal...

I've always been a bit curious about it, I mean we sell "high end" RCA's at my work and I've taken some home but never really noticed any difference beyond the build quality..

http://soundcloud.com/mmmbutch/
underhousearrest +

kjsdbf

Times thanked
<
the way that music is compressed down to mp3 means that frequencies outside what is considered 'standard' human hearing are removed(among other things).

but just because you can't hear it, doesn't mean it doesn't shake ya bones. I use AIFF for uncompressed tag-times

Soundcloud

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesperoni

I use the people that hate me as a measure of my own performance as a human, if they're shit ****s then I'm on the right track.

big fat smiles +

Times thanked
<
I personally prefer running with .wav files any day of the week. If you have a quality rig, or even quality monitors the clarity of the music is noticably different. If you go with .wav or .aif you are getting the tune the artist produced straight out of the box with every little subtle sound present.

*big fat smiles*
Fledz +

Royal Astrological Metaphysician

Times thanked
<
Thanked 6,163 Times in 3,050 Posts
This topic is more tiring than Mac vs PC...

No one ever mentions the biggest problem, ear fatigue. In a club after about 15min, nobody will hear the difference.
big fat smiles +

Times thanked
<
I'd have to go with Mac...

*big fat smiles*

« Previous Thread Next Thread »