The DJ Booth

help with a new dj set-up?

Tools
olgregg +

Times thanked
<
help with a new dj set-up?
hey guys,

I'm looking at getting some new gear - for the past 4 years I've let my interest in djing sit by the sidelines as sell myself to the man and finish a bs uni degree. So naturally i have been out of the loop for a while regarding gear and set-ups.

Anyways, now that im finished im so keen to get back on the scene.

Over the years, ive had heaps of different set ups - CDJ1000S and mixer, apc40 with ableton, midi contollers with serato itch, NI Maschine and curently have an S4 with Traktor.

But now Im looking at getting something that i can translate my set from the bedroom to the club easy enough.

Ideally i dont want to invest in a set of CDJ2000s and a DJM 900 or whateveer, but from what I can see, the DDJ-SZ is the closest thing to this.

all i really want is something that is similar enough to what would be in most clubs (cdj2000s + djm mixer) so that i am familiar enough to know my way around the mixer/cdj in the club environment.

And another important thing for me is to be able to bring in my tracks on usb with my cue points(/maybe even loops) saved on them. or i imagine it would be easy enough to bring my laptop with my saved cues/loops in serato or traktor and use that through the cdjs/djm? (like i said, out of the loop with gear - ive never actually used CDJ2000s - the last time i djed in a club was when everyone just had 1000s).

Ideally also id like to be able to make use of sampling functions to be able to play, say, acapellas over tracks. so i guuess haveing 4 tracks is fine for this, being able to play more than 2 tracks at a time. so whether it be playing an accappella or sample over two tracks whilst mixing them together, or even just sampling/acapella over the current track im playing in between mixing/before mixing in the cue of the next track.

so i guess im just wondering, for these needs, would the DDJ-SZ be fine to use in my bedroom environment, and then translate that to the club enrivonment?

Cheers all,

ol greg
SoulWhiteMan +

is on the national broadband network

Times thanked
<
I personally would not form out a bunch of money. I was in a similar situation in that I have a Numark 4trak at home and play on cdj2000s. I would suggest having a look at Mixvibes Cross software and use your S4 with that. You can set your cue points in it and sync it with rekordbox. It also has harmonic notation 5A 4B that you can write in the comments section to appear in rekordbox.

Personally, having gone from a 4trak to CDJs in a club off a USB, I did not find it a huge leap to be honest with you. I found preparation in rekordbox to be the key. I made the switch to Cross because it had the harmonic key notation and the cue points comments and playlists are synced to rekordbox.

It also has HID integration with pioneer decks so you could use your laptop in future if that is what you really want.

Watch the cdj2000 overview clips on YouTube a couple of times and you will be fine.
olgregg +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoulWhiteMan View Post

I personally would not form out a bunch of money. I was in a similar situation in that I have a Numark 4trak at home and play on cdj2000s. I would suggest having a look at Mixvibes Cross software and use your S4 with that. You can set your cue points in it and sync it with rekordbox. It also has harmonic notation 5A 4B that you can write in the comments section to appear in rekordbox.

Personally, having gone from a 4trak to CDJs in a club off a USB, I did not find it a huge leap to be honest with you. I found preparation in rekordbox to be the key. I made the switch to Cross because it had the harmonic key notation and the cue points comments and playlists are synced to rekordbox.

It also has HID integration with pioneer decks so you could use your laptop in future if that is what you really want.

Watch the cdj2000 overview clips on YouTube a couple of times and you will be fine.

Hey SoulWhiteMan!

Thanks so much for that amazing reply!

Dude, you just saved me a lot of unnecessary spending, I was literally this close to buying some CDJs just so that i could use the Rekorbox function!

That is so good to hear about Mixvibes! The whole re-familiarizing myself with CDJs and a DJM so im ready for a club environment thing i can easily work around...but the Rekordbox thing was what was really of importance to me, so thats great to know I can just use mixvibes with my current set up and save cue points etc and take that straight to Rekordbox in a club set-up.

So thanks for that, man!
SoulWhiteMan +

is on the national broadband network

Times thanked
<
No worries at all.

Just make sure you put all the keys into the comments field in Cross and it will translate the key information into the track metadata for rekordbox. Make sure your rekordbox settings do not automatically detect keys on import.

I find this to be an effective use of time and made the switch from traktor to cross because of it
olgregg +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoulWhiteMan View Post

No worries at all.

Just make sure you put all the keys into the comments field in Cross and it will translate the key information into the track metadata for rekordbox. Make sure your rekordbox settings do not automatically detect keys on import.

I find this to be an effective use of time and made the switch from traktor to cross because of it

great advice, thanks dude!

« Previous Thread Next Thread »