The Main Room

What's happening / Why is the site broken / WTF is a Junkee

Tools
Gruso +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 20,931 Times in 6,226 Posts
What's happening / Why is the site broken / WTF is a Junkee
First a quick history lesson. ITM was founded in 2000 by Andre Lackmann, Libby Clark, and Neil Ackland. Something of a pet project initially, over the years that followed, every facet of ITM (news/reviews/events/forums) grew together into something great.

In the late 00's, ITM expanded beyond dance music into sister sites FasterLouder, Mess&Noise, and SameSame. The parent company (formerly inthemix dot net) became The Sound Alliance. In this time, great investment was put into dragging the family of sites into the social media age. Forum posters from back then will probably remember this best as the controversial ITM 2.0 redesign. Whether or not the outcome of that was successful, there was no question that wherever TSA went, Drey wanted the communities to come with it.

Following this, the ITM forums peaked and then pointed into a gentle decline. At some point both Drey and Libby moved on to other ventures. TSA broadened its horizons further with new sites AWOL (travel) and Junkee (sorta Buzzfeedy). Then in June of this year, The Sound Alliance rebranded as Junkee Media, cementing their new direction.

Here's what the current front page of ITM looks like. You can access the other Junkee sites by clicking "More Junkee Channels" at top right. http://inthemix.junkee.com/

Unfortunately, this business direction does not involve forum communities in the way ITM/TSA used to. Indeed, in my communication with Junkee HQ in the past two years as we (powerless mods) have tried to fix things, the message has clearly been that they would do what was needed to allow us to keep existing - but there would be no investment in the community beyond that. Truth be told, I'd have been happy enough with that, as long as we had a fully functioning site, and the appropriate access to manage it. Unfortunately we still don't have that, and we seem to slip further from it each month. Now I struggle to contact them at all.

In the past few months:
  • SameSame has been sold to another company
  • The FasterLouder forum has been shut down and removed completely
  • Mess&Noise seems to have received an upgrade to their forum software along the lines of the one planned for ITM. Theirs sits half finished, and they have seen a mass exodus of users.
  • ITM has seen a disconnection from the main site (no more embedded articles etc) which is a logical step to a software upgrade, because there is lots of old custom code that needs to be retired first. But many things are broken, have been for a couple of weeks, and no communication about any of this has been forthcoming.

This is all I know. There is absolutely nothing we can do. And while I've been hopeful and optimistic for the longest time, it's going to take a miracle to come back from this. Some say we're the last sad idiots hanging on to this place, but dammit man... an online community is a community. Some of us have been here for over ten years, and in that time lots of magic has happened, extending into real life friendships and more. And it's all at death's door, in the name of a new business model.

I'm not throwing the towel in just yet. There is a still a core group of rotters here that I like talking to, and as long as the bar is open I'll pull up a stool. I wish I had some sliver of hope to offer though.

If you're inclined to throw your 2c in:

https://www.facebook.com/junkeedotco...05513042894495

https://twitter.com/NeilAckland

UPDATE:

I have heard from HQ. The migration to new software & hosting is still happening, but not smoothly.

Quote:

Still struggling over here with the vbulletin migration. Their engineers are pretty flat out refusing to migrate over due to sheer size of the data. I'm looking at potentially archiving and only bringing across the active forums (active = activity in the last 6 months).

UPDATE 2 (May 2016):

http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...#post395568984

Last edited by Gruso: 12-May-16 at 05:02pm

Gruso +

Times thanked
<
ps. RWS made a script that cleans up the forum display. Requires a browser extension to handle scripts. Pick one of these:

firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/fir.../greasemonkey/
chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...jmpbldmpobfkfo

Then go here and install:

Last edited by Gruso: 22-Nov-15 at 03:21pm

qoop +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,561 Times in 928 Posts
for this write-up.
these words fill this space
Fledz +

Royal Astrological Metaphysician

Times thanked
<
Thanked 6,163 Times in 3,050 Posts
Rip Itm
M_adz +

breadcat

Times thanked
<
It's been quite a while (lol) since my last post...but it's really really sad to read and hear about this. So much of who I am & what I've done in my life (yes #Mickstah et al I'm looking at you) is thanks to the ITM community. Tonight I sat around a table of friends all of whom are ex-timers (becy, swishfish, funkedub)...people I would never have known if it wasn't for this forum. and that's just my experience right now...

I know important & precious this crew is to so many of you & it a devastating to hear its getting shafted. This community has been integral to the success of inthemix over the years and its shameful that it isn't given the recognition it absolutely deserves. I hope that you find a space to continue the legacy (& I'm sure you will)...

Peace Out x
Hal Jordan +

Times thanked
<
Yeah I was on this forum before we even had to register. First as N2 and that was probably very early in 2000, actually I thought it was before 2000. Then Flying747, then a bunch of names the sequence of which I can't really remember.

I have met many friends on this forum, promoted parties and who knows what else. It's sad but it is what it is and change is inevitable.

For what it's worth this new business model will fail.
M_adz +

breadcat

Times thanked
<
Yep, you're right - change is inevitable & there are some pretty innovative & creative peeps on here so it will be cool to see what's next
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by M_adz View Post

It's been quite a while (lol) since my last post...but it's really really sad to read and hear about this. So much of who I am & what I've done in my life (yes #Mickstah et al I'm looking at you) is thanks to the ITM community. Tonight I sat around a table of friends all of whom are ex-timers (becy, swishfish, funkedub)...people I would never have known if it wasn't for this forum. and that's just my experience right now...

I know important & precious this crew is to so many of you & it a devastating to hear its getting shafted. This community has been integral to the success of inthemix over the years and its shameful that it isn't given the recognition it absolutely deserves. I hope that you find a space to continue the legacy (& I'm sure you will)...

Peace Out x

From what I gathered last night, you're not posting here because you've posted a small novel on Twitter.
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
Hal Jordan +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by M_adz View Post

Yep, you're right - change is inevitable & there are some pretty innovative & creative peeps on here so it will be cool to see what's next

Fair enough, well I was already too old even when ITM started.
Mickstah +

"Science needs to be applied to beds"

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,159 Times in 1,819 Posts
Awesome write-up Gruso, really nice
Junkee seem to have done all they can to delete their history and the story of how they got to where they are today which I find odd. They've had hugely dedicated communities following them for the better-half of ~15 years. You'd think that would be something to be proud of?
But apparently building a buzzfeed clone and getting a couple of awards for that is more important. :shrug:

Anyway, ITM has given me countless friends and great times over many many years, in many locations around the country and the world. Like Madz said (random post out of nowhere!), I wouldn't be who I am today without ITM.
ಥ_ಥ - - - - - - - - - - - -ಠ_

"She was like a candle in the wind... unreliable."
Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
More cooler than a dolphin
Let's hug me

Hal Jordan +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickstah View Post

Awesome write-up Gruso, really nice
Junkee seem to have done all they can to delete their history and the story of how they got to where they are today which I find odd. They've had hugely dedicated communities following them for the better-half of ~15 years. You'd think that would be something to be proud of?
But apparently building a buzzfeed clone and getting a couple of awards for that is more important. :shrug:

Anyway, ITM has given me countless friends and great times over many many years, in many locations around the country and the world. Like Madz said (random post out of nowhere!), I wouldn't be who I am today without ITM.

If you ask me the site just looks like someone's blog now. Did they win an award for that completely derivative design? Fascinating.

Also my blocker completely breaks the new menu system.
primalstatik +

Just call me p-statz.

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,334 Times in 1,288 Posts
It is a massive shame to see this forum go to the wolves. Much like everyone else I have made lifelong friends IRL from this place. I am hopeful for a recovery if the software switch happens but it is looking pretty grim.

OnL - Groove Salad
New Feb 2016 mix. Bit of olive oil, a pinch of salt and plenty of groove.
DTrancer +

I don't know how to change my user title?!1

Times thanked
<
When ITM articles started pushing clickbaity mainstream articles, bagging the shit out of them during work tea breaks was my fav pasttime. Now junkee has managed to make this place more confusing than attempting to navigate pinterest on 'shrooms. I think this junkee betch needs to be banned for the world to be a better place.

Srs though, if this forum is going the way of $2 shops is it possible to pack this whole thing up and teleport it to a new, independant, forum of its own or slide it in as a subreddit? Any way to keep this community together so we can continue our smack talks about daft punk, paris hilton, and dj top 100 poll results.
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 10,810 Times in 4,660 Posts
we do already have a backup dental plan active here https://www.reddit.com/r/inthemix/
Gruso +

Times thanked
<
You get mod, he gets mod, everyone gets mod!

We (GCP&G nerds) have also been discussing another forum. Reddit is no replacement for a forum, but most people are on there these days. We've got peeps who could set up a new forum easily (with some sick old school ITM theming) but then someone has to maintain the code, pay for hosting etc. And we wouldn't be able to take the ITM database with us.

So, still sitting here hand-wringing. But do drop into /r/inthemix. Hopefully we can ITMify it somewhat.
liberabit +

One of these days you'll wake up dead

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,923 Posts
just think, back at the start of ITM there was no facebook, and electronic music was still 'underground'

it's a brave and scary new world out there now, but like others I'm glad I got to experience this and the friends I've made.

but my thoughts on getting a reddit account are best explained by Abe...

This is no love song and it serves no use, but if you want to sing along to some verbal abuse
It might make you feel better and it's good for the soul, take four letters and let's rock n roll
crabman +

I might be a **** but I'm not a fucking ****.

Times thanked
<
Thanked 8,299 Times in 3,650 Posts
Yeah, reddit is fucked.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiron View Post

How about you people actually learn a little thing called having a fucking conscious and not being heartless sociopath you piece of shit.

الاستماع إلى ... ال التنفس المدينة.

اسم اللعبة هو ضوء يعمل.
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<
Don't let Reddit confound you.

Use RES, subscribe to things that interest you, remove those that don't. Filter by new etc etc.

Opening up the default front page of reddit ain't gonna give much joy.

funkedub dot com

DTrancer +

I don't know how to change my user title?!1

Times thanked
<
Unless its a monday and you've just txted your sikkie thru and punched a few cones and opened a tinnie
Gruso +

Times thanked
<
For those who don't have a reddit account. Excuse the tiny browser window I screencapped from.

This is reddit if you're a dirty lurker:

This is reddit if you're logged in, unsubbed from all the heinous shit, disabled thumbnails, etc:

This is /r/inthemix currently, with a nicer theme dropped in. Please disregard joke advertisement in the sidebar. That mod has been fired.

To see embedded pics/vids/soundclouds in posts (like you can on a forum), and unlock a billion other UI customisations, you can install the RES browser extension: http://redditenhancementsuite.com/

Once again, I just want to emphasise that we're not trying to force a mass migration to reddit... just encouraging peeps to keep it in mind as an alternate hangout, and hopefully demonstrate that reddit isn't actually a pile of shit once you've logged in and personalised it.
Hal Jordan +

Times thanked
<
I never knew a moss piglet could survive in space. I should check reddit out more often.
horst +

Times thanked
<
You (plural) think that reddit could be a long term solution?

but I see the need for an emergency collection point in case they simply switch off the lights.
Maybe a facebook group? maybe IquitITM?
Gruso +

Times thanked
<
It's not my ideal version of a long term solution, but realistically, it's the path of least resistance.

I definitely couldn't do FB, especially at work. I also know there are peeps who can't do reddit at work.
Mickstah +

Times thanked
<
Yeah I'm not doing FB.
Forum salvage is my preference. Migration if needed. Anything else will be second class.
ಥ_ಥ - - - - - - - - - - - -ಠ_

"She was like a candle in the wind... unreliable."
Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
More cooler than a dolphin
Let's hug me

Gruso +

Times thanked
<
And I'm not giving up on the salvage. Just give us a fresh vB install and the fuckin' keys! (please xox)
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 10,810 Times in 4,660 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gruso View Post

hopefully demonstrate that reddit isn't actually a pile of shit once you've logged in and personalised it.

i still think it's a pile of shit & i've been running res & all that for ages
M_adz +

breadcat

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funkedub View Post

From what I gathered last night, you're not posting here because you've posted a small novel on Twitter.

Shhhhhhhhhh.....
qoop +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,561 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:

Yeah I'm not doing FB.

same.

Quote:

Forum salvage is my preference. Migration if needed. Anything else will be second class.

well, unless there's some clause in the T&C about anything we've added to their Forum being their property, then all Intellectual Property is ours and we want it back, in its as-is format
these words fill this space
Dr Rudi +

Howzit!

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,843 Times in 721 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by NismoR31 View Post

i still think it's a pile of shit & i've been running res & all that for ages

Yeah, it doesn't help much at all. I simply prefer the more structured and less cluttered appearance of a forum.

As for ITM, with absolute no communication from HQ to the mod team, no forum link from the main page and the mess that was left behind with Faster Louder/Mess + Noise forums, it feels like it's going to be a cut and run job.

Maybe better to accept our almost imminent fate, be organised to move to new ground now rather than let numbers slowly dwindle from 25 to nothing with people being frustrated by all the brokenness here.

Hey, I hope I'm wrong and they fix this place, but you have to be realistic
Bye now!
Fledz +

Royal Astrological Metaphysician

Times thanked
<
Thanked 6,163 Times in 3,050 Posts
Yep let's move. This place is done.
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
<
Thanked 6,687 Times in 3,877 Posts
Why don't we just organise a FB group for general ex ITM shit talk? And yes I know there's a few of you who're too cool for FB (ohai mick and Madz) but I'm sure you can organise a Google+ thing for the cool kids )
BumblingBee +

is a dick

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,224 Times in 2,030 Posts
it's not about being cool, it's about not wanting to sign up to a website with such a stupid name
gravyishot +

this stupid facebook bar at the bottom is for ****s

Times thanked
<
Agree with those who say FB sucks. Reddit sucks less than that but is still an imperfect solution.

If the content of these forums get vaporised from the internet I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
<
The main reason I suggested FB is simply that its the platform that the most of us would already be using. A lot of people don't use reddit and most never check Google+. Like it or not, FB is far more widely adopted.
horst +

Times thanked
<
Well I suggested facebook just as a collection point, like on one of those fire evacuation maps, it's pretty useless for an in depth or even marginally less superficial discussion.
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
<
That's kinda my thoughts, it at least provides s way to keep everyone informed on future developments.
Dr Rudi +

Howzit!

Times thanked
<
Most have signed up for reddit already so no need.. undoubtedly new forum details will be there once this all goes south.

FB is some kind of corporate marketing brainwash social experiment anyway.
Bye now!
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
<
"Most have signed up for reddit"? I'd say a far lower % than use FB, personally I avoid reddit as o don't need another time waster.
Gruso +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by horst View Post

Well I suggested facebook just as a collection point, like on one of those fire evacuation maps, it's pretty useless for an in depth or even marginally less superficial discussion.

It does make sense for this purpose. If we end up having anything to announce, it will cover most current ITMers (and tons of old ones).

If someone wants to handle creating the group and doing the invites...
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<
I know of at least two people from ITM that I have as "friends" on facebook.

funkedub dot com

jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,490 Posts
ill do it when im home if no one does it first, we already have facebook chats for the old football crew and s&f nothing crews
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative." John Stuart Mill
liberabit +

One of these days you'll wake up dead

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,923 Posts
^ just get friends with rws on fb and then he'll be able to link to you all the rest
This is no love song and it serves no use, but if you want to sing along to some verbal abuse
It might make you feel better and it's good for the soul, take four letters and let's rock n roll
jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,490 Posts
ITM forums are dying club
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative." John Stuart Mill
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
<
https://www.facebook.com/groups/218476858296040/

Click the link, send a join request and identify yourself by ITM username if you feel like it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdoodle View Post

not liking yoda is like knocking back a root when presented nude in a YD change room

Quote:

Originally Posted by mischa21 View Post

^mmmm all this talk of meat is getting me excited.

LifeOnMTV +

==============

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gruso View Post

You get mod, he gets mod, everyone gets mod!

We (GCP&G nerds) have also been discussing another forum. Reddit is no replacement for a forum, but most people are on there these days. We've got peeps who could set up a new forum easily (with some sick old school ITM theming) but then someone has to maintain the code, pay for hosting etc. And we wouldn't be able to take the ITM database with us.

So, still sitting here hand-wringing. But do drop into /r/inthemix. Hopefully we can ITMify it somewhat.

Can't PM you. I have a dedicated server. If you guys want to set up a new forum I can host it. It sucks about the database. edit #2, at least for a while I guess: 4x2.5 GHz, 1TB of storage, 4G ram and 5TB of bandwidth.

Last edited by LifeOnMTV: 25-Nov-15 at 10:14pm

Gruso +

Times thanked
<
Update from HQ:

Quote:

Still struggling over here with the vbulletin migration. Their engineers are pretty flat out refusing to migrate over due to sheer size of the data. I'm looking at potentially archiving and only bringing across the active forums (active = activity in the last 6 months).

They will also aim to get a login link back into the menu today.

@MTV, appreciate the offer. Hoping we don't need it of course!
Dr Rudi +

Howzit!

Times thanked
<
So threatening mutiny actually worked?
Bye now!
Gruso +

Times thanked
<
I don't think mutiny is much of a threat! Bit of loud whinging can't hurt though.
louislogic +

why are fish so slim?

Times thanked
<
Sup
Mickstah +

Times thanked
<
Nm u?

« Previous Thread Next Thread »