NSW Government "solution" to "alcohol fueled violence"

Page 2 of 2
  Tools
DANCINGDI +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi View Post

Why don't they do exactly what Melbourne did, only to realise it doesn't work, and then repeal it! :massive eye roll:

They didn't fully implement it they only ran a trial.

We did a huge rally with a very handy Adam Bandt. We also had a lot of letters to the editor etc.

I think petitions are loosing their power , so many of them. Letters to your mp are a great idea. If you can get any on side it can work well. Strange that written communication seem to be becoming important again.

A site/blog with as much relevant information as possible that people can base their letters on.

Best of Luck.
Originally Posted by Blinky-Live-

BAHAHA, you sir - are a twit, have you ever met Di?

She celebrated the invention of the wheel by going clubbing
Candys +

Times thanked
<
Online petitions are not taken seriously by government unless it suits their agenda. A proper hard copy petition with signatures is a different matter.

If the petition is prefaced with 'We the undersigned being Australian citizens and residents of New South Wales.... ' it becomes formal correspondence from constituents.

The petition needs to be definiitive: we petition Barry O'Farrell and NSW Liberal Party to repeal the 1:30 lockouts and 3am close on our places of entertainment and leisure.

and then 'on the grounds that you have wrongfully taken our away these civiliberties and recessed our cultural and economic activities and you have failed your obligation to pass laws for the greater good of our society.

And then, 'if you do not correct the wrongs you have done to our society we will not vote for you, further we hold you liable and responsible for the harm you have inflicted on our society and reserve all rights legal and moral....

something like that - the NSW State Parliament is doing a very very bad thing -

What wont work are likes on face book, and 'virtual petitions', they will not matter.

A proper petition like this, printed and signed across all the venues effected should raise 250,000 signatures - that needs to be taken and lodged in parliament house. The petition then is put on floor for them all to see and let them see a mountain of signatures... then they have to discuss it.

They have passed law against our civil rights, our culture and our businesses, our jobs our livelihoods - we need to come back to them very strongly. And we need to use a proper petition through parliamentary process.
DANCINGDI +

Times thanked
<
^^

jimmenyC +

Hard wood

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Candys View Post

Online petitions are not taken seriously by government unless it suits their agenda. A proper hard copy petition with signatures is a different matter.

If the petition is prefaced with 'We the undersigned being Australian citizens and residents of New South Wales.... ' it becomes formal correspondence from constituents.

The petition needs to be definiitive: we petition Barry O'Farrell and NSW Liberal Party to repeal the 1:30 lockouts and 3am close on our places of entertainment and leisure.

and then 'on the grounds that you have wrongfully taken our away these civiliberties and recessed our cultural and economic activities and you have failed your obligation to pass laws for the greater good of our society.

And then, 'if you do not correct the wrongs you have done to our society we will not vote for you, further we hold you liable and responsible for the harm you have inflicted on our society and reserve all rights legal and moral....

something like that - the NSW State Parliament is doing a very very bad thing -

What wont work are likes on face book, and 'virtual petitions', they will not matter.

A proper petition like this, printed and signed across all the venues effected should raise 250,000 signatures - that needs to be taken and lodged in parliament house. The petition then is put on floor for them all to see and let them see a mountain of signatures... then they have to discuss it.

They have passed law against our civil rights, our culture and our businesses, our jobs our livelihoods - we need to come back to them very strongly. And we need to use a proper petition through parliamentary process.

I may stand to be corrected, but you guys started a FB page?

Another rally of sorts took place today, the Snap Action one...I've yet to hear back about the numbers, but given the short-notice and amounts of rallies in Sydney right now, they may also be losing their imapct.

I'd really like to see one united front, and not just clubbers and club owners - remember you're cultural scurge to most Australians - 'dirty clubbers'.

I'm keen on this monday meeting at The Metro. We need big representation here from Legal people, Cabcharge, the Mayor etc. The loss of revenue to the state, the entire picture relating to these statistics they're picking and choosing from for their own agenda needs to be shown up. We need touring agents and festival directors, cutural precincts and project heads for the City of Sydney and related Academic institutes to step forward.
Candys +

Times thanked
<
we didn't start a FB page, but we have been active about this for years... we have correspondences about this with the Premier, the minister for tourism, the police commissionier and the director of industry...

they don't care, they aren't listening to reason, they are just doing what they want, they are powerful, we are not.

they've done it now and that means our industry/community is about to go into a cold harsh winter... they'll sip their tea and go to church and congratulate each other for the good they done.

they wont see the liberties they've taken off people, and the people who lose hours and jobs, and the artists that struggle harder, and the businesses that struggle and fall, - they are good people, doing good things, we're just the eggs they're breaking to make their omelet...

Last edited by Candys: 31-Jan-14 at 12:25am

odensecity +

Times thanked
<
research before implimenting ridiculas laws!!
http://www.2amlockout.com.au/
one would think they fools would look at case studies before implementing silly shit, just look at MLB

KPMG was commissioned by the government to survey both venues and patrons after the lockout trial ended. It was reported that the lockout had not worked effectively and that the State Government was not going to pursue the lockout plan. In fact, it was reported that violent crime was up during the lockout trial period. On 10/11/08 it was reported that a "time-out zone" would be introduced, along with 50 extra police on the streets during weekends, in an effort to combat booze-fuelled violence in the CBD.
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts
well here are some 'facts' http://www.olgr.nsw.gov.au/pdfs/2014_Reforms.pdf
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
Alex101 +

Times thanked
<
What nightlife scene ? Where here in Sydney joking right ? There's nothing worth saving

I'm going to be brutally honest .....

Sydney's night life was NEVER GOOD.
I had some friends from Germany here they were planning to stay for a year and left just 2 months into their trip.
We have to admit it Sydney is BORING ( in terms of night life ) it always has been add alcohol,bogans try hards on steroids with sleeve tats = GET ME OUT OF HERE

Just the behavior of these people at parties, clubs, festivals is really embarrassing.
I go out from time to time to check out some DJ's,acts It's OK at the best of times
I save my money for my yearly Euro summer trips to have a good time really enjoy the clubs and PEOPLE.

I must also say It's embarrassing calling myself a Aussie especially the way they act in Europe HOBO BOGANS doesn't do them justice
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex101 View Post

What nightlife scene ? Where here in Sydney joking right ? There's nothing worth saving

You're obviously a narrow minded child if you think that's the case

Whilst Europe is amazing, there's a lot to love about Sydney and some fucking amazing parties.
Playing at;

SHRUG
legal-affairs +

Moderator says 2.0

Times thanked
<

Quote:

GET ME OUT OF HERE

Gosh, aren't you quite the First Post Hero? If you don't want to be here, don't let us hold you up.

Anyhoo, I was just coming in to point out that the SMH has decided, AFTER their fact-free moral panic campaign has produced the bad laws which went through yesterday, to run a thoughtful and considered piece by someone who actually knows what he is talking about when it comes to late night drinking:

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/dilute...130-31p9s.html

Just a little but late, though, you might think.
But we're fools if we sit back and stare at the ground
While the weasels and analysts sing
If we want our place in history, we can't let the frustration
Drive us to fashionable drinking again
mags +

Times thanked
<
How on earth do Bayswater Rd and Darlinghurst Rd manage to be outside the precinct on the map? ARen't they the location of the recent attack?
4our | A BYO warehouse party
Feb 6 | TBA
Feb 14 | 4our presents The Love Boat Ball with Steffi & Virginia
Feb 20 | Eighty Nine Invites Magda Bytnerowicz and Tim Heaney (Mel)
soundcloud
special ed +

spesh

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,017 Times in 1,441 Posts

Quote:

unless you're over the age of 50 your point is invalid. Sydney's nightlife has been around longer than you sunshine
soundcloud
mixcloud
jimmenyC +

Hard wood

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by legal-affairs View Post

Gosh, aren't you quite the First Post Hero? If you don't want to be here, don't let us hold you up.

Anyhoo, I was just coming in to point out that the SMH has decided, AFTER their fact-free moral panic campaign has produced the bad laws which went through yesterday, to run a thoughtful and considered piece by someone who actually knows what he is talking about when it comes to late night drinking:

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/dilute...130-31p9s.html

Just a little but late, though, you might think.

Great article.
baseade +

Times thanked
<
Even if it does pass, who really goes out in the city apart from after work drinks anyway? The only decent parties are the laundry ivy parties and Spice. Warehouse parties out in St P/Marrickville/erko are where its at nowadays anyway. And the twunts that roid up and hang out in the cross wouldnt go anywhere near those parties anyway.

Failing that, slap a 20 year prison sentence on the perpetrators. It will soon be their mates holding them back as opposed to egging them on
jimmenyC +

Hard wood

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by baseade View Post

Even if it does pass, who really goes out in the city apart from after work drinks anyway? The only decent parties are the laundry ivy parties and Spice. Warehouse parties out in St P/Marrickville/erko are where its at nowadays anyway. And the twunts that roid up and hang out in the cross wouldnt go anywhere near those parties anyway.

Failing that, slap a 20 year prison sentence on the perpetrators. It will soon be their mates holding them back as opposed to egging them on

Their mates should be holding them back. Ivy has a shithouse track record on both sides of the fence with incidents.
There are plenty decent parties elsewhere and make no mistake, the attraction of a BYO warehouse party will make a lot of these people who do not share the same clubbing-culture as us come along and crash-in with fun their own way*

A lot of people who remain unaffected by these laws due to hosting day parties and warehouse events did not show up to the meeting, pretty disappointing.

With the mandatory sentencing as it stands, a friend trying to hold back a mate out of control, could be the one to go down and land his mate with the sentence. The sentencing is fraught with issues and is not a detterent to someone already stupid and aggressive enough to be looking for a 'bro to come at them' and the issue is the persons who are being attacked and the propensity for aggression from mass-exodus on the streets due to lock-outs, and early-closures coordinated at the same hour in a concentrated area. Remeber the 2008 Lock-outs, and the abolishment of smoking in clubs? People and bouncers were fighting when they mistakenly stepped out of clubs to light-up....

*read: not really fun.
baseade +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmenyC View Post

Their mates should be holding them back. Ivy has a shithouse track record on both sides of the fence with incidents.
There are plenty decent parties elsewhere and make no mistake, the attraction of a BYO warehouse party will make a lot of these people who do not share the same clubbing-culture as us come along and crash-in with fun their own way*

A lot of people who remain unaffected by these laws due to hosting day parties and warehouse events did not show up to the meeting, pretty disappointing.

With the mandatory sentencing as it stands, a friend trying to hold back a mate out of control, could be the one to go down and land his mate with the sentence. The sentencing is fraught with issues and is not a detterent to someone already stupid and aggressive enough to be looking for a 'bro to come at them' and the issue is the persons who are being attacked and the propensity for aggression from mass-exodus on the streets due to lock-outs, and early-closures coordinated at the same hour in a concentrated area. Remeber the 2008 Lock-outs, and the abolishment of smoking in clubs? People and bouncers were fighting when they mistakenly stepped out of clubs to light-up....

*read: not really fun.

I got here in 2010 so im guessing that had died down a little by then...sounds like there is a potential for that to happen again tho..

Re your ivy point, yes i wholeheartedly agree on the ivy being full of wankers on a normal saturday night (doormen included) but have you been to any of the Chinese laundry/soapbox events there? Not a single clown in sight.

I didnt add burdekin/oxford arts to my last statement. Fuck now im pissed. Trance central and london elektricity at arts were amazing and now they are gonna have to shut down by 3am. Rubbish. The manager of arts didnt know what to expect at a full on dnb night and at the end of the night was quoted saying that was one of the easiest care free nights he has ever had to manage - everyone happy having fun. I digress...

"their mates should be holing them back" - absolutely - I am the first to wade in to my mates when they are being dicks. Sadly these roid heads have fucked everything up for the decent party goers of this great city.
m_xt +

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,490 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:

Re your ivy point, yes i wholeheartedly agree on the ivy being full of wankers on a normal saturday night (doormen included) but have you been to any of the Chinese laundry/soapbox events there? Not a single clown in sight.

This is probably true, but as of May last year the venue was ranked as THE most violent in NSW, causing them to be subjected to level one licensing restrictions.

I'm actually starting to get a bit sick of many pf the poorly written diatribes I am seeing on facebook, Many arguments are not well made and spelling and grammar do not seem to be considered. In my opinion this weakens the cause.
Check it ****s.
Soundcloud

LAZE
baseade +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by m_xt View Post

bit sick of many pf the poorly written diatribes I am seeing on facebook, .

oh the irony..
m_xt +

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803

Times thanked
<

Quote:

oh the irony..

I know you are probably joking but I am referring to open letters that have apparently being emailed of to relevant people in Govt, and online petitions people want you to sign. Not just Joe Blogs giving his $.02 on his status update.
Check it ****s.
Soundcloud

LAZE
baseade +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by m_xt View Post

I know you are probably joking but I am referring to open letters that have apparently being emailed of to relevant people in Govt, and online petitions people want you to sign. Not just Joe Blogs giving his $.02 on his status update.

ah i was jesting mate - totally agree with you.

Dr Mr O Farry - basically yeah, wot it iz yeah, you iz messin up ma social life innit.. seen it countless times myself.

Im actually impressed with Mr Spice himself - Robbie Lowe - he is actively getting stuck in to all that needs to be conveyed across. I hope sanity prevails.. time will tell. Ive been really enjoying sydney late night life so much recently.
whambulance +

UNLIMITED JUICE!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I had some friends from Germany here they were planning to stay for a year and left just 2 months into their trip.
We have to admit it Sydney is BORING ( in terms of night life ) it always has been add alcohol,bogans try hards on steroids with sleeve tats = GET ME OUT OF HERE

Just the behavior of these people at parties, clubs, festivals is really embarrassing.
I go out from time to time to check out some DJ's,acts It's OK at the best of times
I save my money for my yearly Euro summer trips to have a good time really enjoy the clubs and PEOPLE.

I must also say It's embarrassing calling myself a Aussie especially the way they act in Europe HOBO BOGANS doesn't do them justice

Worst first post in the history of ITM.
Pitch +

Times thanked
<
The measures that Oz is taking to curb night-life, drunkenness and violence is very similar to the Crown Dependencies of the UK I have lived in before; complete lock-down on late-night parties by restricting licenses and sale of alcohol.

Until you can find a way to party safely, quietly and being sober at the same time I would just give up and on trying to change government opinion and save your money for places that want your partying business like Europe or other parts of Asia.

Things only started changing in London around 7 or 8 years ago when the trouble with squat (unregulated) parties became more costly to police than by allowing regulated parties.........if your partying population is able to sustain this kind of change then great, if not then prepare to travel for all your adult leisure needs.
https://soundcloud.com/drewstar
kinky disco +

Times thanked
<
Just passing through to say this time twelve months ago I saw Mano Le Tough smash out one of the best sets I've seen in Sydney at the Abercrombie, and bought drinks well beyond 3am as part of it.

Both of those things are now impossible: RIP Abercrombie and RIP proper late-night shenanigans in the city.
If you need me, I'll be in space.
i_am_wesel +

hardcore

Times thanked
<
I've got a few questions please. Note I haven't been clubbing since 2006 and live in London now. Originally from GC. But am curious?
How does it work if they kick everyone out at 3am. How do you get home? Is transport good regarding trains and buses?
Didn't they do this on the gold coast but lock you in? So once you left a club you couldn't return?
Are squat parties popular at all?
If I want a big event do the halls host a 5 room party or do you do a Festival?
Is the age group at events 20 something's and will I be the only one who is late 30 something?
What's with the lad behaviour? Is it really a problem at events or one or two being an ass?

Couple questions bit random sorry.
milke joe +

Times thanked
<
Im happy to share my frustration.

Both deaths in the cross happened before even midnight. A drunk violent man is going to be a drunk violent no matter the time.

This is going to solve nothing. The city of sydney is going to suffer. And the people that use the clubs and venues are gonna end up causing more drama then there was before.

Fuck it.
Seamus Ryan +

Resident Perve

Times thanked
<
So I haven't lived in Sydney for around 5 years, but i certainly enjoy coming up from time to time to par-tay.

Haven't been out since these new laws came into place, i wholeheartedly agree they are a complete wank.

Now that it has been a few weeks, I am wondering how things are going? Are areas now complete ghost towns that weren't previously? Are people still fighting to abolish the laws? Any king-hits? What is the latest?

Is there some type of class action targeting the NSW government for effectively sacking hundreds if not thousands of hospitality workers? (is that even possible?)

??
ARMIN

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors

hardstyle does have melodies they're just really retarded

milke joe +

Times thanked
<
I have been in the city continually since the laws came in and pretty much continually for the 6 months leading up to the laws being changed.

In my eyes, it is definatley more quiet in the early hours of the morning. I guess people are just going home once they realize they cant get in anywhere.

I have found the casino is alot busier in the early hours of the morning. I think alot of people are just going there.

It would be very interesting to see the statistics of the amount of assaults and to see if there is any decrease. I have seen some fights and the usual city trouble makers around.

I had alot of friends at the sven vath, dubfire, guy gerber gig at the metro. The gig went till 6am or something but after 1.30 if you needed a ciggerette you were not allowed to go outside and come back in. The new laws..... Of course people will just smoke inside but its pretty stupid. A break for some fresh air at all night gig is pretty nice.

Mardi gra night was pretty chaotic, the night after the new laws were brought in and I saw alot of people frustrated and not getting in. I have also been to spice a couple of times since the new laws and it seems like there are less people there.

I watched a friends band play the other night and after they finished and we helped back up all the gear etc We went to get some food after we finished eating we realized we had about 10 minutes before we were not allowed in anywhere. We were not drunk violent alocoholics knocking people out, we were just wanted to have a beer to celebrate the good gig but we couldn't.

In my eyes it is still early days. I think for me to have a good comparison I will have to wait longer. The only thing I know for sure is at had made many of my nights end early and I am sure alot of other people which means the people who are probably suffering the most are the bars and clubs as potential customers are not allowed in.
m_xt +

Times thanked
<
So Bazza has fucked himself, I don't think it will make a difference like many people are saying it will, it's still the same party in power.
I also don't think it is an example of irony he was brought down by a bottle of booze, unless you learned you definition of irony from that Alanis Morissette song.
Check it ****s.
Soundcloud

LAZE
base615 +

base, proud, shallow, beggarly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,589 Times in 1,167 Posts
No shots, doubles or pre-mixed drinks after midnight now. Also, no entry if you've been observed drinking elsewhere.

WTF is wrong with this place?

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaVeR_SpIkE View Post

all i can say is fuck you ref you fuckhead

special ed +

spesh

Times thanked
<
wow i didn't think this city could get any worse.
Sydney is probably one of the worst cities in the world to live in, in 2014.
time to move
soundcloud
mixcloud
FlyHighKisstheSky +

Times thanked
<
Sydney is going down hill fast. LA has had similar laws for a while now (plus the increased drinking age of 21) and all that happens now is the clubs either kick out anyone they don't know and keep partying or direct you to an underground club anyway.

The world keeps turning and people find a way of still having their fun.
Fly High Kiss the Sky

Education is the only way forward.

Get awesome at something you love and find a course thats right for you with Training Advisor.

Goal Pro - Small Business Consulting
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
Jeez, someone up there sure doesn't trust anyone at all...what a joke!
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
special ed +

spesh

Times thanked
<
Sydney - police state capital of Thatcherland 2014
soundcloud
mixcloud
milke joe +

Times thanked
<
How far is this going to go?

Can someone with some sense enter politics and fix some of this stupid shit. It's so simple.

Just let me drink what I want to drink when I want to drink it and go where I want to go when I want to go there. I promise I will not hit or kill anyone. Thanks.
browne +

Times thanked
<
Come On Sydney!!
Hey,

First a little back story on me. I'm from the UK. DJiing for around 8years. Met my Australian girlfriend around 4 years ago. Went travelling.. went to Labyrinth festival in Japan. Hit Europe. Now Ive got my visa Im back in Sydney to find all these new "party rules" spoiling everybody's fun.

I'm really not one to impose laws on other countries, but what you've got going here with these new regulations is ridiculous.

It's ridiculous, but its not unbeatable. Ive been travelling for the last 4 years full time and Ive learned a few run arounds if anybodies interested.

OK number one is the selling of alcohol. I know you guys love the BYO here in Australia so it makes sense to use that same logic in clubs. The selling of alcohol can be banned at a certain time, but it doesn't effect BYO joints in anyway at all! Ive been to quite a few spanish clubs that do BYO and it continues to work really well for them.

The other issue is the expense of having a bar/club that needs a music licence. This need disappears very quickly if you don't charge ticket prices. Like Berlin, there are lots of events you can go to by just being a member (by subscribing on facebook or something similar). You can charge for them to be a member, but then give free tickets out to members to arrive on the night. This bypasses the laws of music licence and makes the event just a gathering and not a paid event.

I dont know the laws here 100% so please dont just write back with a number of reasons why these ideas wont work. Please suggest other ideas if more appropriate for Sydney. I dont want to see the dance scene die here. There is good potential and a little bravery by people will go far here Im sure! There is always a way for people to dance!
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by browne View Post

Hey,

First a little back story on me. I'm from the UK. DJiing for around 8years. Met my Australian girlfriend around 4 years ago. Went travelling.. went to Labyrinth festival in Japan. Hit Europe. Now Ive got my visa Im back in Sydney to find all these new "party rules" spoiling everybody's fun.

I'm really not one to impose laws on other countries, but what you've got going here with these new regulations is ridiculous.

It's ridiculous, but its not unbeatable. Ive been travelling for the last 4 years full time and Ive learned a few run arounds if anybodies interested.

OK number one is the selling of alcohol. I know you guys love the BYO here in Australia so it makes sense to use that same logic in clubs. The selling of alcohol can be banned at a certain time, but it doesn't effect BYO joints in anyway at all! Ive been to quite a few spanish clubs that do BYO and it continues to work really well for them.

The other issue is the expense of having a bar/club that needs a music licence. This need disappears very quickly if you don't charge ticket prices. Like Berlin, there are lots of events you can go to by just being a member (by subscribing on facebook or something similar). You can charge for them to be a member, but then give free tickets out to members to arrive on the night. This bypasses the laws of music licence and makes the event just a gathering and not a paid event.

I dont know the laws here 100% so please dont just write back with a number of reasons why these ideas wont work. Please suggest other ideas if more appropriate for Sydney. I dont want to see the dance scene die here. There is good potential and a little bravery by people will go far here Im sure! There is always a way for people to dance!

you obviously have no idea of how the laws work in relation to alcohol licensing or APRA / PPCA
Playing at;

SHRUG
kinky disco +

Times thanked
<
Saw Barry walking down Oxford Street after the rugby last Saturday at about 5:30pm. I yelled (from the other side of the street) "Better be quick, Barry! Everything is about to close for the night!" and he just laughed, which only made me mad. Another victory to this nonsensical campaign.
If you need me, I'll be in space.
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
and apparently the inner west / newtown is next...
Playing at;

SHRUG
Aleks Tha Kid +

Times thanked
<
These new restrictions are rubbish! But don't forget there are venues that are not effected by the LockOut, less then 5mins from city in Camperdown!

If your looking for somewhere to go after 3am, check out the Hampshire Hotel, its open all night, has a beer garden, great staff, a massive BIG screen, pool table & arcade room!!... Not to mention the beers cheap!...

Last edited by Aleks Tha Kid: 11-Jul-14 at 03:03pm

pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aleks Tha Kid View Post

If your looking for somewhere to go after 3am, check out the Hampshire Hotel, its open all night, has a beer garden, great staff, a massive BIG screen, pool table & arcade room!!... Not to mention the beers cheap!...

And awesome music?
Playing at;

SHRUG
jimmenyC +

Hard wood

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinky disco View Post

Saw Barry walking down Oxford Street after the rugby last Saturday at about 5:30pm. I yelled (from the other side of the street) "Better be quick, Barry! Everything is about to close for the night!" and he just laughed, which only made me mad. Another victory to this nonsensical campaign.

you see, what you needed to do was punch him...
- not to hurt him, but to prove a point that time has no correlation with violence...
Aleks Tha Kid +

Times thanked
<
Yeah they have Live Music play every Thurs & Sat Night, but if your not into the live music thing, the bands usually finish at around 10:30 - 11pm. And the sounds really do vary, like sometimes its classic rock, mo' town, pop, dance or house music. They don't have a DJ, but I think they'r going to, cause the weekends r getting busier.
I highly recommend the place, and if you havn't been there, you should drop in an check it out!
Least you don't have to worry about any 1:30am LockOuts or no alcohol service after 3am!?!! U can drink all night!!
Juggalo Muli +

Sven ****ing Vath

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by pomrocks View Post

and apparently the inner west / newtown is next...

are you for real??
meet me in the cl0ud

http://www.mixcloud.com/m00f/
sorzy +

Come Back Defqon.1!!!!

Times thanked
<
Nightlife in Sydney is being destroyed by these new "Lockout" and "Last drinks" rules.The vibe of local clubs and pubs is being destroyed because of both Police and Media interfearance.Having a beverage has always been part of Australian culture and it would be such a shame to see the Australian Dance community disapear to other areas.It would be a shame to see tourists be driven away because of such a bullying tatic by by Government and Police outfits.In Australia, we have already seen hesitation by overseas artists to come here because of these new laws, and more needs to be done to evalutate their effectiveness with cutting down aggression and anti social behaviour.There will always be antisocial behaviour even without these new laws, and this new tatic put into effect by the government is a bad way to solve a problem that isnt all that large within Australia.
milke joe +

Times thanked
<
Well the statistics are out. All over the news this morning. 40% less drunk assault in kings cross area. And assaults are down across the city and state also.

The media this morning on morning shows, took the angle of it being a success.

These people have no idea. Have they been in the city. It is so quiet. Bars/clubs are emptier and the cross hahah. People don't even go there anymore. They start cleaning the streets about 5 hours earlier than they use to because no one is around.

I call it a failure on a international city. I am a bit of a gambler and the star. Wow they must be killing it. (Even more than ever before) the sports bar is pretty much a club now. Never used to be like that. And the outdoor smoking area beside the sports bar is full of your typical club goers.

So the government is turning music loving club goers into gamblers. Woohoo.
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
So fucked...feel sorry for ya!
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
fangske +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by special ed View Post

unless you're over the age of 50 your point is invalid. Sydney's nightlife has been around longer than you sunshine

this
Acperience 1 +

Times thanked
<
Bump.

Time to revisit where we are now as a city? Recent events have been -

• Old mate's #casinomike facebook post attempting to validate the lockout lows
• Social media backlash
• Influx of articles both mainstream and less well known, documenting (on top of everything else already written) the shortsightedness and corrupt nature of the laws
• Successful Keep Sydney Open rally attracting approximately 15,000 people marching for what's right and for the reasons listed below (see spoiler)
• Upcoming Reclaim The Streets 19 March event

The above is just a quick snapshot and isn't comprehensive.

I sincerely hope that we (the organisers, punters, people who care, show up, and voice their concerns) as a group and movement can enact change and that there is hope for change. What is the gut feeling from other's out there? Are you hopeful? Do you think there is a chance that #casinomike's stance will change? Do you think we can go from what we are now to what Melbourne is? Even if there is a chance, it obviously won't be overnight and would be watering down first? Even talking about this sort of stuff makes me feel like I'm getting ahead of myself, meaning that there isn't much hope? It's fucking depressing.

Spoiler:
Melbourne's experience with lockout laws -
http://www.2amlockout.com.au/

Points For The Laws

Restores the balance between Melbourne's vibrant nightlife and the increase in alcohol-related violence, anti-social behaviour and alcohol related health problems.
Stops pub crawls that lead to violence.
Reduces the amount of people 'venue hopping' late at night often after they have been kicked out of another venue.
The majority of alcohol related violence occurs on the streets as people move from venue to venue not in the actual venues themselves.
Late entry bans control the movement of people and allow police to target key times around 2am. This gives police a greater ability to manage people not in a venue late at night.
The lock-out will last for five hours, giving police time to clear the streets and for drunks to sober up.
Against

Note: Venues generally close at either 1am, 3am or 5/6/7am (it is unusual for a venue to close at 2am)

Points Against The Laws

The majority of law-abiding people punished by the actions of a small minority.
Loss of freedom of choice.
Reduction in civil liberties.
Having to choose one venue for the rest of your night.
Spoils what makes Melbourne a wonderful city.
Death of the entertainment scene and vibe in Melbourne.
Hospitality staff unable to go out after work.
Shift-workers unable to go out after work.
Bands & DJs unable to travel to late gigs.
Not being able to meet friends at other venues.
Venues closing after 3am selectively choosing which patrons to let inside.
Venues closing after 3am raising cover charges.
1am-2am spillover period with the streets full of people.
Queues outside venues that stay open after 3am forming before 2am.
Still standing in a queue when the clock hits 2am leads to a large group being stranded on the street.
Having such a large group of people roaming the streets will only add more problems for an already stretched police force.
Queues and tension hailing taxis at 2am for those left stranded, thus now unable to continue their night.
Queues and tension hailing taxis at 3am for those leaving 3am-closing venues, thus now unable to continue their night.
Small-capacity late-opening venues unable to replace ejected patrons, leading to a sparser crowd.
Small-capacity late-opening venues unable to replace patrons going home, leading to a sparser crowd.
Increased operational costs for venues, which will be passed on to the patron.
Loss of revenue and business for venues.
Door staff (cashiers, greeters etc) having their hours of work cut back at least 10 hours per week.
Loss of hospitality jobs.
1am happy hours at post-3am venues to lure patrons away from other, earlier-closing venues.
Vehicle travel to non-curfewed entertainment areas - increased risk of drink-drivers & road accidents.
Thousands of revellers descending on e.g. Moonee Ponds after 2am.
Devaluation in city apartment prices.
Encourages illegal after-hours bars to operate.
No readily-accessible statistics made available to the public on violence levels.

Quote:

I don't go to be in the VIP area.. I don't need big breaks, a big song with a buildup and lights and smoke.. all you need is a kickdrum and a good bassline. You don't need any of that other shit. Na, I'm not going for none of those reasons.. I'm just going for the music.

DANCINGDI +

Times thanked
<
The anti lockout people have to stop using the term "nanny state" , it just gives the pro people another thing to use against you. Really push the obvious such as the two guys killed in Sydney were killed well before midnight , their violence ha nothing to do with the clubs, leap in casino violence, violence was going down before the lockout laws were set. Melbourne did well because it was the troublesome clubs that were monitored , and still are. We now have all night transport at weekends and public holidays.

It probably should be more about the fact that it really doesn't do much good , like the dogs , and does a lot of harm to our economy. Plus there are better ways, as Melbourne has proved.

The Guardian has quite a bit on this subject and some of the comments are really good. One guy in particular has come up with some really valid stuff.

But yeah, keep up the good work and good luck.

Gruso +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 20,931 Times in 6,226 Posts
Surprisingly ITM HQ is still active in areas other than monetising clickbait and killing forums:

inthemix is hosting a lockouts roundtable at Parliament House

That took place last Thursday. No reports yet on how it went.
Page 2 of 2

« Previous Thread Next Thread »