The DJ Booth

cleaning records

Tools
grapsta +

8 pinballs at the courthouse...yeeeeah

Times thanked
<
cleaning records
anyone know good place to buy isopropyl alcohol ...or know a cheaper way to clean records....chemist sell bottles for $14 ( about 200 ml ) but its got to be cheaper somewhere.
Grandmaster Ash +

Times thanked
<
Bunnings, near the metho and turps. However I use lighter fluid for my vinyl, works a treat. I use isopropyl alcohol for my cd's.
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<
lol @ avatar, stick to COFFEE and ALCOHOL
Tech-One
grapsta +

Times thanked
<
lol at your signature

lighter fluid - seriously ! damn i got some here. hope your not joking
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
He's not, but I've heard from others it's not good, it can leave a greasy film on them...warm saopy water does the trick...rinse off the bubbles, put in dish rack to dry...just avoid getting the centre label wet.

If you've got old records which are super extremely filthy, shit stuck in the grooves etc, you can cover them in Wood Glue/PVA as outlined in the blow link...never done it myself, but looks like it does a fucking stella job!

http://digitanalogue.blogspot.com/20...l-records.html

Even if you do the glue thing to an old record, there's not gaurantee it'll help some records which are snap, crackle, poppy due to being played with fucked stylus which has actually damaged the grooves perminantly
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
<
Oooh... I might give the PVA thing a try for my old quadrophonic DSOTM.

I just bought a bottle of AM diluted iso... Why do you need so much, anyway? I've had this bottle for a year or so, and it looks like it would last a lifetime.
louislogic +

why are fish so slim?

Times thanked
<
fuck no, stick to warmish water and stay away from nasty chemicals,

otherwise buy the cleaning fluid itself for like 6 bucks a bottle, it does like a crate or more a bottle.

lighter fluid can damage your records over time, it has oils etc in it but have heard people say its good for mad tough grit. i'd still stay away unless im just cleaning some throw away 1$ record

otherwise the only recipe i'd trust is the one with rubbing alcohol, a drop or two of film-stop (wetting agent) and distilled water.
ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
<
^The record cleaning fluid (eg. the AM stuff I have) is isopropynol.
grapsta +

Times thanked
<
it sure is. for the record i'm cleaning records before posting them to buyers...so don't wanna mess up the label...or get arrested for sending explosive items in the mail for that matter. think I'll stick with good old isopropyl
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
Iso is highly flammable to, dude...moreso than lighter fluid!

But anyways, it all evaporates of quickly so that's no stress...but yes, stick with the Iso cleaning spray over lighter fluid
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
grapsta +

Times thanked
<
yeah cool. i got talked into buying this stuff called isocol from chemist...it says its all isoproyl but got a bit of a perfume-y smell to it. hope it fades when i use it
Treason +

OrangeJuice

Times thanked
<
I just throw mine in the dishwasher for half a hour....morning fresh lemon detergent ftw
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by grapsta

yeah cool. i got talked into buying this stuff called isocol from chemist...it says its all isoproyl but got a bit of a perfume-y smell to it. hope it fades when i use it

perfumey smell hmm... this could mean danger no? if it's mixed with some liquid that you wouldn't want on your vinyl (that happens to smell quite nice).

i would try the good old 'vinyl cleaner' before anything else tbh. why the need for pure/clean isopropanol?
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
grapsta +

Times thanked
<
yeah your probably right....its marketed for cleaning acne and skin etc. i sohuld have sniffed it b4 shelling out 414...sucks because only ingredient listed is isoprpyl

« Previous Thread Next Thread »