The DJ Booth

Is a Djm 800 & Cdj 1000 MK 3's really enough?

Page 2 of 2
  Tools
southern_dan +

Stealing your fleas

Times thanked
<
yeah but his opinion is shit.
MYSPACE

FLICKR
aliasneo +

"Berk! Feed ME!"

Times thanked
<
Can't help badluck!
littlebrains69 +

JimmyJams

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBanga

simple, I rock up find up they have an allen & heath, abuse the fuck out of them for not telling me before

Your shouting your ignorance here, assuming that management are going to care enough to tell you exactly what equipment you're playing on to make sure your happy. You must be the only n00b that gets an equipment rider And for the record I would love to show up and have Xone92 instead of a DJM800 - but alas everywhere I play it's a damn DJM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBanga

NOT raging up or anything but don't tell me Allen & Heath are better because they cost more money to buy when Pioneer clearly dominate the market 100 to 1.

You're location says QLD so I'm going to assume Brisbane.
Family - Xone92 NB: It's also my understanding they have a XoneV6 and 3D available

Barsoma - Xone3D

Empire - Xone92

Birdee Num Nums - Xone92

I think you'll start to get the gist of where I'm going here.
(Not necessarily saying all are installations but they are or have been used)
richcur +

Peanuts

Times thanked
<
^^hhahahhaha Georgie
Rich Curtis' website & Facebook

Latitude End EP (incl Andre Sobota, Noraj Cue & Verve Rmxs) - Mar 24
Golden Wings Music "Unique" EP (incl Flipped) - May 2

Playing prog/tech LIVE on Proton Radio, 1st Tues of Month @10pm US EST
JBanga +

Times thanked
<
umm lol fluffy's you would go there
Kiron +

Mess with the best, Die like the rest!

Times thanked
<

^^^^
Buy, you'll laugh, you'll cry it will change your life.
(Not the shitty Ipod, The HD25's)
Yak, yak, yak. Get a job
Kiron22 << Add me to Last.fm bitches so we can Hipster it up together
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts
do you ever look at picture of real girls Kiron ?
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
Kiron +

Mess with the best, Die like the rest!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funkedub

do you ever look at picture of real girls Kiron ?

Do real girls go around wearing HD25's?, I don't think so.
Yak, yak, yak. Get a job
Kiron22 << Add me to Last.fm bitches so we can Hipster it up together
Citizen +

Publisher, Entrepreneur

Times thanked
<
^^^

He does have a point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lambretta

Oh I'm sick of all this talk about sexual things, it's so disgusting and it's not natural.

Why cant we just watch normal healthy things such as hundreds and hundreds of people being blown to shit for being foreign by some muscular hero?

Gruso +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 20,931 Times in 6,226 Posts
My sister does. And no, I don't have pics.
TravGTi +

Who Slimed Me

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanious

I don't understand this obsession with buying industry standard gear just for the sake of it being the standard. It should take you about 5 minutes/2 songs to learn how to use different gear. Go for what you think is best for you and what you can afford - that being said I am partial to the DJM700's, mainly because I can't afford anything better

This is pretty good advice...

INDUSTRY STANDARD IS THE DUMBEST CONCEPT EVER!!! THEY DONT EXIST-the term industry standard is a buzz word used by the brands themselves not the industry...If there was an industry standard then every piece of equipment would be the same... built to the standard and the only difference would be the brand...

The industry standard concept is dumb for this reason...
If the "standard" was the most desirable thing in a product then
Everyone should aspire to own and drive a stock standard Ford Falcon or Holden Commodore as they are the "Industry Standard" for passenger transport AKA Taxis (though there are some Toyota Taragos out there , that may be a bit hard to resist)

Dont consider it when getting gear for yourself... It hurts companies who really spend time and money on Engineering innovation and development... (THE Worst offender for this is Technics... their TTs are a slap in the face to the public who pay big dollars for them-they only have one desirable feature and thats longevity-theyre weak, low spec'd and low featured yet cost more than everything else out there, like a (bulletproof) 1975 Holden Ute winning the market from varying models of current generation Supercars)

The point made above about 5 tunes into a set on any gear and your familiar with whatever youre using is totally true...

If youve got a good deal of cash dont JUST limit yourself to the generic PIONEER only path..

Consider upgrading the software path youre on... get onto Traktor Pro or ableton.. get some more elaborate controllers...a XONE 3D or a couple of 1Ds...Akai pad controllers...Fader Foxes. The real way forward is in the software route if you want to do some really elaborate stuff... unless all you aspire to do by your djing is to provide a means of getting from one track to another...Why? because it will allow you to do the simple trans from track to track but will not limit you to it... offers you the scope to evolve and do more and more... re-edit, remix on the fly tie together numerous elements of tracks as you see fit and build revised editions of the tunes you play rather than just play the tune..

Having said this if you want to take the more standard approach...

If you want an effects mixer, consider a Denon DNX1500.... I know for a fact that they can be had for under $1K brand new and until Pioneer added the 700 and 800 to the market they had nothing in the market that could touch this mixer... Also consider Eclers Evo or Nuo Range.. My personnel pick at about the same price point as the DJM-800 is the Allen and Heath Xone 92... has some effects but they shouldnt really be called effects as they are a more powerful mixing tool than eq's (I refer to the analogue filters of course-Yes Pioneer Fanboys the 800s have this feature too but its digital and it sounds like SH!T)...If you have HP and LP filters on hand yuo can mix without ever touching your eq's. Watch a video of Stacey Pullen using filters on you tube for an example...

Likewise CDJs... dont just go the 1000 route... realistically until you are very skillled with them they wont offer you really anything much more than an 800 other than more cost... be sure to check out Denons MIDI capable range with motorise platters

I know its been a big rant but really all Im saying is let the products and your research make the decisions for you not some mystical concept of the industry standard...

THE ONLY THING OUT THERE THAT SHOULD BE INDUSTRY STANDARD IS NATIVE INSTRUMENTS MULTICORE CABLE SYSTEM... should be hard wired into every Club Booth there is so anyone playing from digital source (Traktor, TraktorScratch, Serato, Ableton etc) can roll up and connect their souncard by connecting a couple of XLR connectors...without ever having to touch or unplug anything from the mixer!!!
AKA Travis Da TRAKTOR

jimrocks +

ROFLIN' SINCE 76'

Times thanked
<
^^^^
owned
It lives, the bass is the army that it gives.
Page 2 of 2

« Previous Thread Next Thread »