First set up for a 13yo?

Tools
dance strategy +

justified & ancient ...

Times thanked
<
First set up for a 13yo?
Hey all,
Im looking to give Jnr decks for his 13th Bday soon. Im wanting to start him off with vinyl only first up and he can progress from there once he gets his basic skills happening and the music addiction really takes hold . Considering his age - of course Im looking for a relatively inexpensive set up. Any thoughts?
WADZA +

you're really cool man

Times thanked
<
just go those chaepy stanton ones. only set ya back $3-400 at the most.

gotta remember buying vinyl is more expensive tho.

Upcoming:

Sat 16th June : Deepchild (Berlin) @ Barsoma
KuRuPTeD +

you gonna get raped

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,458 Times in 624 Posts
Where are you located?

i have 2 x Numark TTX i am considering parting with.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gruso View Post

That cock is glorious, for the record.

Quote:

Originally Posted by i am an alias View Post

i love flashing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

online features dont work when youve got no net connection

Eros le Tardfack +

lol at teh you

Times thanked
<
try and buy him a crate of 2nd hand tunes for cheap. doesn't matter how old they are, as long as it's not trance or electro house it'll be fine. once he's learnt to mix he can start buying what he likes.

but i'd quickly steer him in the dirrection of mp3s and serato, you really don't want your kid asking to to fund his vinyl addiction.

ps: you sound like a pretty cool mum

Quote:

Originally Posted by fidgetgod

hey there i set a fourm up to post links too songs of fidget house message me for the link

i need moderators admins and just plain members ill trust onley some people to be admins and mods so please join my forum mutch appereciated fidget god

polanski +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eros le Tardfack

as long as it's not trance or electro house it'll be fine.

lol
Breakdown - The Revenge
15th May Kooragang Island Newcastle

Back To The Source with The Cleaner
Every Friday Night 8-10pm Blu FM 89.1 or stream online ;-)
Tech, Deep, Minimal, Techno, House etc
Upcoming Guests

enimateK 30th April

Facebook

Soundcloud
dance strategy +

justified & ancient ...

Times thanked
<
wadza - ta, cheapee is goodee
kurupted - just outside sydney, maybe a bit far
eros - Ive got about 2 crates at home already. His daddy (the ex) was a fulltime DJ for 8yrs when we were together but a few years after that retired, got a boring gf, a haircut and a real job
I know Snr is a bit out of touch with gear on the market now, like me, but he has a huge (damn brilliant actually) vinyl collection just waiting for our boy .... no need to spend a cent on music for a long time!
I want this to be a suprise for both them, knowing full well daddys addiction will be reignited with a passion and he will run with it after that. Im just getting the ball rolling for them really. What better father / son bonding could you get?
Not that I luv the wheels of steel myself
ayampanggang +

yeah

Times thanked
<
you sure you want vinyl?
not trying to confuse you, but i bought a pair of cdjs and already thinking it might have been better if i had bought an ableton and midi controller instead.

it's not that conventional setup is bad, but considering what you can do in digital set, well its wicked

just my 2 cents though, mixing in vinyl must be really fun!
Eros le Tardfack +

lol at teh you

Times thanked
<
so...are you a milf?

Quote:

Originally Posted by fidgetgod

hey there i set a fourm up to post links too songs of fidget house message me for the link

i need moderators admins and just plain members ill trust onley some people to be admins and mods so please join my forum mutch appereciated fidget god

Just_Me +

Times thanked
<
damn, wish my mum bought me a cdj set up!

all i get is an ipod!

cry cry cry
JKWITS +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eros le Tardfack

so...are you a milf?

I second the cool mum comment. If he has access to that many record then tt's sound like the go. Second hand 1200's ftw!
cooltempoze +

Beats Master

Times thanked
<
You got an iPod?!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just_Me

damn, wish my mum bought me a cdj set up!

all i get is an ipod!

cry cry cry

All I got was a crappy $40 tape deck player with AM/FM radio when I was 17. Mind you I thought it was pretty cool back then in 1987. LOL.

I had to buy my own decks, 18 years later, and with a bank loan which I'm still paying off! But hey it was worth the wait. Hahaha.

Anyways, teaching him vinyl is good, cause thats where it all started I spose, then when he gets a job in a few years time he can buy his own rig with all the bells & whistles. By then he should be working in clubs full-time as well as touring the world, own his own record label and become a DMC champion! Good luck!
Electronic music is all about feeling...
Feel the beat, feel the emotion, feel the rhythm.
dance strategy +

justified & ancient ...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKWITS

If he has access to that many record then tt's sound like the go

They were his dads tools of the trade and we're all happy for him to to carry on the tradition! Minus the collectors items, of course.
Yeh, it has to be vinyl. Let him learn the art. Hes got a 24/7 free private teacher, why not? Hey the boys got time, he wont be playing out for years yet.
Garthyboy +

Times thanked
<
I dunno - i like the idea - but why not rip all tha vinyl to mp3?

I started on vinyl, i still use viynl heavily but I can spend whatever i want a week on vinyl keeping my track selection fresh.

As much as having the classics is great, he's going to want to play at least 60% newish tunes and there's your problem....If he's playing stuff that's out of touch with what his mates are listening to and getting into, odds on he will grow tired of it

Dunno, myself i think a couple of cheapy CDJs are the much wiser option

God I hate myself for saying that, but sometimes we all have to let go of the past i suppose
BBC +

livin' for the weekend

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garthyboy

As much as having the classics is great, he's going to want to play at least 60% newish tunes and there's your problem....If he's playing stuff that's out of touch with what his mates are listening to and getting into, odds on he will grow tired of it

Totally disagree:
1. He is bound to like it more just because his Dad does I think.
2. And new music is shit, back in the day is when all the good music was made anyway!
3. I never had ANY mates that like the same music as me for over 7 years and I kept playing and listening to it.

I think turntables is an awesome idea!!! My recommendation would be to pick up two second hand 1200's and pretty much any mixer would do at this stage of the game. Check the ITM forum for 2nd hand TT's and possibly a cheap mixer.

Oh and ripping vinyl to MP3, stupid idea and a huge time waster. Just play the record, it will sound 1000% better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Good Doctor

"No, I'm not letting you use my headphones, just cause you've got a USB stick full of MP3's in your pocket".

Lloyd C +

Times thanked
<
stanton t.60's are on special @ dj warehouse for $320 each... otherwise take BBC's advice and get two second hand technics 1200's.
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts
My main piece of advice would be to go 2nd hand. I'm sure you could pick up some dirt cheap stanton or numark decks from a pawn brokers, cashies or eBay.

I don't know why people insist on discounting learning on decks.

If someone want to take up fencing do you say "nah man .. get a gun ... you can do so much more with a gun" Or if they wanted to take up woodcraft ... so you tell the kid "no, get yourself a plastic extrusion kit ... wood is old skool an won't be around for much longer" ... or if they wanted to pain ... i reckon half of you would tell the kid to use MS Paint instead

Sometimes it's about learning an art ...
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
Gruso +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 20,931 Times in 6,226 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by dance strategy

Yeh, it has to be vinyl. Let him learn the art.

Gruso approves of this.

As mentioned by others, the entry level Stanton decks are a decent option. They're not great but they'll be fine for a 13yo. Nothing like a sluggish, low torque belt drive to teach good platter control.

http://www.djwarehouse.com.au/cat/in...duct_id=206979

Selecting an entry level mixer requires a little more care. Cheap components (pots, faders) can start crackling and leaking audio within weeks. I've had terrible experience with Stanton. Avoid Behringer as a rule, same goes for American Audio / American DJ. Numark and Vestax are safer bets (note careful wording).

Numark: http://www.lightsounds.com/store.asp...ProductID=3096
Vestax: http://www.djwarehouse.com.au/cat/in...uct_id=1122964

Headphones - avoid the same brands as above. Sennheiser have a good spread of models from $40 onwards.: http://www.djwarehouse.com.au/cat/in...tegory_id=7884

Avoid the $40 jobbies, treat the $75 HD205's as a minimum. If the budget allows, the HD25SP's ($190) will decorate his scone nicely.
Garthyboy +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBC

Totally disagree:
1. He is bound to like it more just because his Dad does I think.
2. And new music is shit, back in the day is when all the good music was made anyway!
3. I never had ANY mates that like the same music as me for over 7 years and I kept playing and listening to it.

I think turntables is an awesome idea!!! My recommendation would be to pick up two second hand 1200's and pretty much any mixer would do at this stage of the game. Check the ITM forum for 2nd hand TT's and possibly a cheap mixer.

Oh and ripping vinyl to MP3, stupid idea and a huge time waster. Just play the record, it will sound 1000% better.

The kid is 13. hence my point:

1. How many teenagers idiolise their parents and want to be just like them? I know I sure as hell wanted to play Pacman as my parents would have when the Playstation was coming out

2. Agreed, most tunes now days are average at best, but i still think its smart to stay on touch - you can't go smashing tunes from yester year constantly, unless you want to make that your niche.

3. Each to their own I suppose, but I think the thrill of playing out is a great driver to keep improving and keeping at it.....i doubt all his mates in years to come will be begging him to come play nothing but 1990 - 2000 era tunes in 2012 - 2015.

Just my thoughts, if i was a parent i could see it turning very expensive fast with the kid wanting a lot of vinyl.

Finally, wav/high quality mp3 - yeah, really stupid
9 of out 10 people i know are doing it - even the classic vinyl pushers GMF etc are quoted to be doing it. Portability, back up, creativity that digital files allow you.....yep - really really stupid idea.
1 in 1000 people will atually be able to tell the "warmth" of vinyl over a high quality mp3/wav
I'd gladly A/B blind test it to prove my point

Note - I still play A LOT of vinyl, i just think you have to move with the times also and play "smarter" sometimes where opportunities offer it
Gruso +

Times thanked
<
Rant much? They're going with vinyl. Do not want another tiresome format debate.
RudeTed +

Times thanked
<
I reckon you should definately get a pair of second hand technics 1200's. They are a little more expensive than the cheapies but that extra 150 or so will pay itself off. The 1200's will last a very long time and when he's done with them if he ever is then they retain their value quite well.
powerstruggle +

Eat me

Times thanked
<
get one of those dj stanton packs

has the lot and at a cheap price all the time

if they're going to be something the kid upgrades from in years to come then ease up on the spending this time around
Zodiac +

What do you mean we aren't going to the Superbowl?

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,335 Times in 1,825 Posts
If you pick up a set of 2nd hand 1200's he will never have to upgrade his TT's. I'm also sure your husband will enjoy playing on the 1200s. They might be a bit pricier than a set of stantons but they are certainly worth their weight in gold.

As for a mixer, a basic 2chan will suffice. The Numark DMX06 is a great first mixer. Even has some inbuilt effects for later on down the line. (http://www.numark.com/contentmgr/sho...p/id/1227/tt/5) I could be tempted to let mine go for cheap as I'm looking to upgrade to a Xone 92/DJM 800 in the next few weeks.
"Words are bullshit. They are just useless sounds we make with our stupid mouths". Rafi - The league
Dr Bones +

Gail's in Mensa. She reads books. For fun!

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,113 Times in 743 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodiac

could be tempted to let mine go for cheap as I'm looking to upgrade to a Xone 92/DJM 800 in the next few weeks.

how will you retain your cool factor on the dj booth if you buy anything other than a 92 though?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kzzy View Post

The music that I push in my opinion is probably a bit too mature for someone who listens to "Trance" but hey, we all have to start somewhere?

manuka +

is a code monkey

Times thanked
<

Quote:

They were his dads tools of the trade and we're all happy for him to to carry on the tradition! Minus the collectors items, of course.
Yeh, it has to be vinyl. Let him learn the art. Hes got a 24/7 free private teacher, why not? Hey the boys got time, he wont be playing out for years yet.

ur excellent! go for vinyl all the way. good skills to start with

even fat boy slim doesn't know how to use it these days!
seanious +

sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodiac

If you pick up a set of 2nd hand 1200's he will never have to upgrade his TT's. I'm also sure your husband will enjoy playing on the 1200s. They might be a bit pricier than a set of stantons but they are certainly worth their weight in gold.

As for a mixer, a basic 2chan will suffice. The Numark DMX06 is a great first mixer. Even has some inbuilt effects for later on down the line. (http://www.numark.com/contentmgr/sho...p/id/1227/tt/5) I could be tempted to let mine go for cheap as I'm looking to upgrade to a Xone 92/DJM 800 in the next few weeks.

My Denon-X100 has served me well, excellent crossfader and a good quality output on it. Has no fancy effects but really how badly do you need FX when just toying around
Dr Bones +

Gail's in Mensa. She reads books. For fun!

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,113 Times in 743 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by manuka

even fat boy slim doesn't know how to use it these days!

i'd hazard the question whether he ever did.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kzzy View Post

The music that I push in my opinion is probably a bit too mature for someone who listens to "Trance" but hey, we all have to start somewhere?

Zodiac +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanious

My Denon-X100 has served me well, excellent crossfader and a good quality output on it. Has no fancy effects but really how badly do you need FX when just toying around

You dont, but it's still a great first mixer.
"Words are bullshit. They are just useless sounds we make with our stupid mouths". Rafi - The league
manuka +

is a code monkey

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Bones

i'd hazard the question whether he ever did.

good point
Eclerkid +

Times thanked
<
I think going for vinyl as first option is the only way to go. This will teach the little one that music is sooooooooo much more thej a dowlaoded file. There is nothing like the connection you feel with your favorite piece of vinyl. Searching for and finding that one record is such a rewarding experience and really drives home the value fo a good tune.
ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
<
1200s can be had for about $400 a piece, second hand.
That said, those Stanton starter packages aren't too bad either (although a completely different league), and will probably only set you back about $500 second hand, including a mixer.
johnjay +

Times thanked
<
u can get two 1200's for less then $800, why bother with anything else?

seriously get him 2 x 1200 mk 2 techncs turntables and a numark dxm06

u can get that second hand for aroudn $900-1k and it should work exactly like brand new
http://jayjsmooth.blogspot.com/
www.soundcloud.com/jayjsmooth
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
<
Thanked 17,049 Times in 7,537 Posts
With the amount of 2nd hand 1200s turning up, you'd be mad to opt for anything else.

Grab something like a numark dxm-06 mixer to go with it

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

dance strategy +

justified & ancient ...

Times thanked
<
Hey thanks heaps for the ideas guys, the 1200s sound the go. SNR & JNR will have a ball on them. As for the vinyl debate? Im pretty sure daddy will hook him up with cdjs after he learns to mix and the rest he can run with himself. He is already pretty savvy with multimedia. He is Gen Z remember
Zodiac +

Times thanked
<
Buy my dxm06
manuka +

is a code monkey

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Hey thanks heaps for the ideas guys, the 1200s sound the go. SNR & JNR will have a ball on them. As for the vinyl debate? Im pretty sure daddy will hook him up with cdjs after he learns to mix and the rest he can run with himself. He is already pretty savvy with multimedia. He is Gen Z remember

that is so totally the way to go
i wish more people would think this way
silvaside +

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,840 Times in 877 Posts
ableton imo.
djaudiophile +

licking the lid of life

Times thanked
<
a 15yr old girl so they can start a family
AdamMadd +

Artificial Intelligence!

Times thanked
<
i'd suggest getting 2 x 1200s and serato as well, that way he can learn the art on the classics with his dad, but at the same time play new stuff that he may be into as well via serato on the 1200s
I've revived the Ozclubbers forums now. Go here
Gruso +

Times thanked
<
Crates of vinyl are important too though. Young DJs need some spine.
djaudiophile +

licking the lid of life

Times thanked
<
lol the reverend in rythm....
ratticus +

facebook.com/thepublicworksdepartment

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,477 Times in 893 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by djaudiophile