Sport and Fitness

Bikram Yoga

Tools
tjane +

Times thanked
<
Bikram Yoga
I've just recently started @ Bikram Yoga & am currently doing 2 classes a week.... Has anyone been doing this for any length of time & if so, do you think it's a beneficial form of exercise?
Gypsy +

Times thanked
<
Love Bikram Yoga, never thought I would but I do. I've only been doing for a couple of month but so far have found it beneficialll

Pros (imo):
*You sweat lots without doing much
*Great core strength workout
*Increased flexibility
*Relaxation
*Weight loss (over a period of time)
*The fact it's done in such heat and humidity means it's a tough, challenging workout. Mind over matter

Cons (imo):
*The length of each class. 1 and 1/2 hrs is a long time, plus you have to get there 15mins beforehand to get a good spot. I find a round trip takes me at least 2 and 1/2hrs...that'a a big chunk of out my Sat/Sun or it turns into a very long day after a whole day at work
*Very expensive!! I just paid $400 for a 3 month unlimited pass!! I worked out that if I go a min. of 3 times a week over the 3 months each class works out to be $11, which I think is good...but that's if I get there 3 times a week, some weeks I've only managed 2 or even 1 class a week so I sometimes feel like my pass is going to waste.

So that's my two cents. I really, really enjoy it. The pros def way out the cons for me but I do find it a time consuming and costly form of exercise
lexah +

I'm IT

Times thanked
<
YES! YES! YES! FINALLY they've opened here in Perth and I am loving it... I first did it when I lived in Montreal, quite regularly and am so happy to have it here.....
lexah +

I'm IT

Times thanked
<
tjane how are you going with the classes?

I'm on my last day of my 10 day trial and after this will have to start paying per class which means I can only really afford to go once a week
Jimmy B +

Yeah boiiiiiiiiiiii

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by lexah

YES! YES! YES! FINALLY they've opened here in Perth and I am loving it... I first did it when I lived in Montreal, quite regularly and am so happy to have it here.....

Its been in perth for 2 years....
"......and by the way, that 3 month old kid in your belly is not a fucking human being, its just a bunch of congregated cells… you're not a human, until you're in my phonebook" -Bill Hicks
lexah +

I'm IT

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy B

Its been in perth for 2 years....

Where? The North Perth one that's just opened is the first I've heard of any Bikram Yoga in Perth.
Jimmy B +

Yeah boiiiiiiiiiiii

Times thanked
<
Theres one in cottelsoe that my old workmate used to go to a while ago (don't quote me on that one) but one in joondalup has been there for a while.

btw: I couldn't think of anything worse than sweating more than I currently do. I was in sydney recently and it was horrible, that wasn't even that humid apparently
"......and by the way, that 3 month old kid in your belly is not a fucking human being, its just a bunch of congregated cells… you're not a human, until you're in my phonebook" -Bill Hicks
lexah +

I'm IT

Times thanked
<
it must be a different style... because this is the first bikram yoga available in perth i'm sure of it... i've been trying to find it here in perth for years and even contacted the official bikram yoga website to find out about it and there were NO studios in perth at the time.. even my yoga friends were all excited about this one opening up, and were saying it takes a few years to get it all set up, attend the proper training, etc
Jimmy B +

Yeah boiiiiiiiiiiii

Times thanked
<
oh ok. Might just be they heat up the room to 37 degrees but do some different yoga steez
tjane +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by lexah

tjane how are you going with the classes?

I'm on my last day of my 10 day trial and after this will have to start paying per class which means I can only really afford to go once a week

Man o man - what a work out! I've now been doing it for 4 weeks & already have noticed a difference. The difference is not only physical, but I feel much more calm & at peace mentally. I know that may sound a bit hippy herbal, but I really do think it's had an all round good affect on me.
lexah +

I'm IT

Times thanked
<
^ that's exactly why I go... and why I started going back... was getting into a bit of a tizz with life and always remember how calm and serene yoga makes me. So its' helped on all levels, even after just 10 days! Helps me calm myself and relax in every day life when dealing with stress

glad you're enjoying it!
tjane +

Times thanked
<
Thanks Lexah - hope it's working wonders for you too! OMMMMMMMMMM..........
Chester +

trashbags unite!!

Times thanked
<
yeah i just started it and so looking forward to seeing the impact

i'm quite lucky i live one street away so its under 2 hours a session

trying to aim for 2 maybe 3 a week

have noticed my skin is great
I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their good intellects. A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies. O.W
Bizzy +

I am the needle in your vein. I am the high you can't sustain.

Times thanked
<
I did my very first class on Saturday and loved it! Will hopefully go again today after work. I can already feel a difference from it. Anyone else still going or started up? A couple of male friends back home have started going and love it!
If I told you that I was a pathological liar would you believe me?

mj86 +

Times thanked
<
i've been doing bikram 2-3 times a week for the last 6 months and seriously i've never felt better for it.

posture has improved, strength, flexibility, clearer skin, better sex and general openness of my body/mind.

i'm thinking of doing the 30 day challenge in a few months, anyone done one before?
Simon_Murphy +

H@cked.

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,816 Times in 1,295 Posts
Starting this tonight. Anyone else doing this atm? Have read a bunch about it, drink lots of water, don't eat beforehand etc... any other tips?
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/simon-murphy 2 new mixes online now
Facebook: http://facebook.com/djsimonmurphy
Substance/Prognosis: http://substancesounds.net
Astro-Boy +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 23,515 Times in 10,717 Posts
Make sure no-one sees your vagina.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heraclitus

Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.

Simon_Murphy +

H@cked.

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,816 Times in 1,295 Posts
Have fun with the infantry whilst I position myself at the back of a room clad with yoga pants wearing hotties.
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/simon-murphy 2 new mixes online now
Facebook: http://facebook.com/djsimonmurphy
Substance/Prognosis: http://substancesounds.net
Astro-Boy +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 23,515 Times in 10,717 Posts
Don't make me come down there and irl troll you, Simao.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heraclitus

Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.

tapout +

tapout 1, utes 0.

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,335 Times in 1,469 Posts
Yeah im doing it 3 times a week, i wouldnt stress too much about the prep stuff, its not that hardcore. It does make me laugh though when people crap on about "sweating out the toxins" or how they are really working hard because they are a puddle of sweat afterwards, yeah its got nothing to do with the 35 degree room your in
Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence
mischa21 +

yessum

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,083 Posts
^ yup it's not like you're getting your heart rate up to 160 to induce the sweat

« Previous Thread Next Thread »