News Of The World...

Page 1 of 3
  Tools
Honest Abe +

Old School

Times thanked
<
News Of The World...
...to close amid continuing phone hacking scandal, says Rupert Murdoch.

The shock development came as police said there could be as many as 4000 victims of phone hacking by the paper.

Good riddance to bad rubbish. Now for The Sun.
Honest Abe +

Old School

Times thanked
<
Though next week will likely see the the first edition of The Sun on Sunday.

TheSunOnSunday.co.uk registered 5 July 2011:

http://webwhois.nic.uk/cgi-bin/whois...onsunday.co.uk
baax +

Times thanked
<
You have to cut the head off, the legs just grow back.
SOUNDCLOUD

MIXCLOUD
jutsy +

Times thanked
<
So disgraceful that over 200 staff in low-end jobs take the fall to protect rebekah brooks. I hope some of the disgruntled ex- NOW staffers dish the dirt on her and murdoch
trist +

too many years on ITM

Times thanked
<
I never thought I would see MP after MP in a Parliament getting up to denounce a Murdoch publication and call for heads to roll. Amazing. It now seems a pity that Australia doesn’t have a similar News Corp gutter tabloid that could feel our wrath. That Rebekah Wade is a piece of work, it will be interesting if she continues to be protected by Rupert or is eventually feed to the wolves to protect the company.
Come with us back to those inglorious days when heroes weren't zeros. Before fair was square. When the cavalry came straight away and all-American men were like Hemingway to the days of the wondrous B movie. Gil Scott-Heron
mogmac +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by trist View Post

. It now seems a pity that Australia doesn’t have a similar News Corp gutter tabloid that could feel our wrath.

have you never read the herald sun? im sure there are rupert murdoch equivalents in every state.
dbb618 +

md5sum < /dev/urandom

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,756 Times in 925 Posts
James Murdoch might be arrested

http://www.theage.com.au/business/me...708-1h5cp.html

Former British home secretary Alan Johnson has suggested to the BBC Murdoch's statement announcing the paper's closure contained an admission that could expose him to prosecution
Hopped in the car and torpe'ed to the shack
Of Shaheed, "We gotta go back" when he said
"Why?" I said, "We gotta go
'Cause I left my wallet in El Segundo"

http://twitter.com/derekbradley
http://untappd.com/user/dbb618

https://plus.google.com/117630500124...73/posts?hl=en
Honest Abe +

Old School

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by mogmac View Post

have you never read the herald sun? im sure there are rupert murdoch equivalents in every state.

Despite their undoubted crapness, the Aussie Murdoch tabloids are not a patch on the gutter, tits and ass crassness of the likes of the News Of The World and The Sun.
trist +

too many years on ITM

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Not even close to the tabloid crud London pumps out.
Come with us back to those inglorious days when heroes weren't zeros. Before fair was square. When the cavalry came straight away and all-American men were like Hemingway to the days of the wondrous B movie. Gil Scott-Heron
Honest Abe +

Old School

Times thanked
<
I don't know if you've ever read the News Of The World (aka the News Of The Screws) mogmac, but the word "News" in its title is stretching things a bit. That paper is so bad that the phrase "gutter press" is too good for it.

It will resurface as some other shit is a couple of weeks and Rupert will have saved lots of money in wages for the poor bastards, who've done nothing wrong, who are losing their jobs over his sneaky attempt at damage control. They just need to convince the advertisers they've lost to come back to The Sun On Sunday or The Sunday Sun or whatever the piece of crap ends up being called.
Geezah +

Raaaaaaaaaaaaarrghh

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,844 Times in 1,176 Posts
How anyone could say this with a straight face I don't know:

Quote:

"The good things the News of the World does ... have been sullied by behaviour that was wrong. Indeed, if recent allegations are true, it was inhuman and has no place in our company. The News of the World is in the business of holding others to account. But it failed when it came to itself."

Ah, no James, NotW hasn't done a good thing for anyone, ever. Sorry, anyone other than the Murdochs.
Griggle +

If it is prophylactic and emphatically didactic, then it's not tactic."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,726 Times in 830 Posts
Downfall pisstake is up on you-tube already.

Media Player
Broadband speeds will always be lower under a Coalition Government.
walkdogz +

Times thanked
<
nah, they exposed the paki cricket cheats... which was actually a huge deal in the grand scheme of cricket corruption.
special ed +

spesh

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,017 Times in 1,441 Posts
1 down, hundreds to go
soundcloud
mixcloud
austraboy +

I like toast

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by jutsy View Post

So disgraceful that over 200 staff in low-end jobs take the fall to protect rebekah brooks. I hope some of the disgruntled ex- NOW staffers dish the dirt on her and murdoch

Wikileaks anyone???

Assange's inbox will be filled with dirt...

Other papers must now be shitting themselves as they will start to be heavily scrutinised.

I flicked through the Telegraph today whilst waiting for my coffee to see where in the paper this had been reported... There was about a quarter of a page dedicated to the story which just reiterated how apologetic Rupert Murdoch was and how he thought it was a disgrace.
mogmac +

Times thanked
<
re: herald sun/ news of the world....ahh fair enough, i just made the association by name. I did live in london for 6 months and all I remember about the news of the world was the page 3 girls and the sensational headlines, which reminded me of the herald sun to a certain extent. I never actually read it so I guess I never got to know how truly shit it was.
However, I still do think the herald sun is quite shit in a similar vein, but ill leave my comments for the other thread already on that subject.
phoneyhuh +

3o~

Times thanked
<

Quote:

re: herald sun/ news of the world....ahh fair enough, i just made the association by name. I did live in london for 6 months and all I remember about the news of the world was the page 3 girls and the sensational headlines, which reminded me of the herald sun to a certain extent. I never actually read it so I guess I never got to know how truly shit it was.
However, I still do think the herald sun is quite shit in a similar vein, but ill leave my comments for the other thread already on that subject.

Your memory must be getting rusty. Page 3 girls are in the Sun, not NOTW. The Herald Sun as sensational as it may be, doesn't have page 3 girls, nor has it ever been implicated in illegal phone hacking... or entrapping extended members of the royal family into bribery for that matter...
Honest Abe +

Old School

Times thanked
<
Yeah the Aussie equivalents are pretty tame in comparison with the UK Murdoch crap.
Griggle +

Times thanked
<
Well the Australian did publish the fact that the AFP were about to do that terrorism bust before it actually happened a couple of years ago.

That pretty much sounds like either phone tapping or bribing police officers exactly like this case imo.
Geezah +

Raaaaaaaaaaaaarrghh

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,844 Times in 1,176 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by walkdogz View Post

nah, they exposed the paki cricket cheats... which was actually a huge deal in the grand scheme of cricket corruption.

Pfffffft! Facts.

Didn't you get the memo: in a post-factual world it's all about gut instinct.
Weinertron +

random shoutbox generator

Times thanked
<
Exactly. Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true. pfft
Fuck Everything Forever
Griggle +

Times thanked
<
Exactly! Facts only have meaning if they are in the public* interest.

*Shareholders are part of the public right?
nrjize +

licking dates

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,692 Times in 1,038 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griggle View Post

Well the Australian did publish the fact that the AFP were about to do that terrorism bust before it actually happened a couple of years ago.

That pretty much sounds like either phone tapping or bribing police officers exactly like this case imo.

lol whut? The police had told the Australian about the activities in advance so they could report on it. There was no phone tapping or bribery involved. Perhaps you should know about the event you're referencing next time instead of what you think it "pretty much sounds like".
Griggle +

Times thanked
<
The "police" didn't inform them at all.

The reporter behind the story when questioned by the police commission into corruption about the incident initially told them that he got the information from an individual Police Officer who he named to them.

The commission drew fire for the way it questioned him and their version of events was found to be in-admissible due to procedural errors.

Afterwards when questioned the journalist recanted on the story and insists that he never gave them the name of his source or admitted any wrong doing. Without the initial statement the investigation was dropped.

Pretty much the reporter had a dodgy relationship with a cop who fed them information about an ongoing terror investigation (a sanctionable offence for the officer) and then the reporter used that information to interfere with an on-going investigation.

The parallels to the NOTW bribing police officers for information are there.

After this the investigation was dropped and everyone got a free pass. Much like the original phone hacking scandal's investigation where incompetence let nearly every single member of the NOTW management off with a clean bill of health till the Guardian did some more investigating.

I wouldn't be surprised if we will see whoever was leading our local investigation retained as legal council for the Australian any day now.

Edit: My bad the police officer in question was stood down over the matter.

Last edited by Griggle: 08-Jul-11 at 04:42pm

Griggle +

Times thanked
<
Crikey's story about the events.

The reporter has priors for doing this sort of thing.

Here's some incompetence from a previous trial of the same journo over corrupt links to police and publishing stories with the intent of subverting the course of justice:

"Charges against Mullett were later withdrawn, and the case against Ashby collapsed because the OPI made a simple legal error of failing to properly swear in its investigator before its public hearings, igniting calls for the OPI to be replaced by a broader anti-corruption body such as NSW’s ICAC, or by a Royal Commission."

Of course ICAC or a Royal Commission were never called and so the only outcome from either investigation was the cop who is known to have leaked the story about the terror raids is fired, all Australian staff get off scot free and no further investigation is ever made into the links between the Australian's staff and police officers.

Last edited by Griggle: 08-Jul-11 at 05:04pm

Dero13 +

Roar Roar Brisbane Roar!!!

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,302 Times in 833 Posts
Page3 of the Sun is quality
Dubz +

guardian of ITM

Times thanked
<
Hmmm a lot of NOTW hate here.

Whilst most of their stuff was rubbish, they did a lot in terms of holding others to account for their actions, a lot of their stories were huge issues and brought down corrupt people

The Profumo affair, Lambton, Archer, Fergie, the Pakistan cricket team - all major stories that the broadsheets didn't uncover.

A free press is needed and if all we got were high minded articles in the Guardian and Independent then we'd miss things.

Incidentally I'm not defending Rebekah Brooks and others, their actions in hacking the phones of military families and victims of crime were reprehensible and should be punished. But there's no need to go too far with this thought process.
Griggle +

Times thanked
<
News of the World accused of hacking the phones of the cops investigating them.

Looks like the initial investigation may have been dropped after the Scotland Yard detectives responsible for the investigation discovered that NOTW had hacked their phone mail and there may have been threats the NOTW would publish embarrassing or incriminating personal information about the officers.

One of the cops padded his expense reports and had mistresses, another had used his travel allowance for person holidays.

So many people gonna do jail time over there.
dbb618 +

md5sum < /dev/urandom

Times thanked
<
hopefully James Murdoch is one of them

Griggle +

Times thanked
<
Gordon Brown just did an interview where he said that the Scumday Times stole his medical and financial records along with his tax returns.

He also says Rebecka Brookes rang his wife shortly after his sons birth and told her she had found out that their son had Cystic Fibrosis and that she was going to publish the story then published it on the front page. The only way she could have gotten the information is by stealing his sons medical records or through phone hacking.

He says he wanted an inquiry but was talked out of it at the time.

Looks like the entire Murdoch Empire is going to take a tumble here.
legal-affairs +

Moderator says 2.0

Times thanked
<
I haven't seen the interview but I read last night that Brookes' call forced the Browns to publicly announce their son's cystic fibrosis so as to kill the Sun's exclusive and give the Browns some control of the story. Apparently Brookes was infuriated by the temerity of the Browns in thinking that their son's medical condition was not the property of News International and this coloured the subsequent coverage of Brown.

In related news, although I don't usually link to the LOLstralian, this is just so batshit crazy that I had to share it. Apparently what killed the News of the World was, wait for it, political correctness:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226091910333
But we're fools if we sit back and stare at the ground
While the weasels and analysts sing
If we want our place in history, we can't let the frustration
Drive us to fashionable drinking again
Vital +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by legal-affairs View Post

In related news, although I don't usually link to the LOLstralian, this is just so batshit crazy that I had to share it. Apparently what killed the News of the World was, wait for it, political correctness:

Amazing. From that article it looks as though the cunning illiberal liberals have jeapordized all of Britain's beloved institutions including the BBC, British Parliament, Sunday Sport and (lol) naked girls.
mogmac +

Times thanked
<
Media Player

Someone from NOTW justifying phone hacking, seriously amazing stuff. oh and it has steve coogan.
CheelWinston +

not a cop

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:

i haven't read all of the article, but does the author take the opportunity to call Rupert Murdoch a fuckhead?

after all it was Uncle Rupert's decision to close down the truthtacular publication in question.
Listen to your friend Cheely Zane
He is a cool guy...
Griggle +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I haven't seen the interview but I read last night that Brookes' call forced the Browns to publicly announce their son's cystic fibrosis so as to kill the Sun's exclusive and give the Browns some control of the story. Apparently Brookes was infuriated by the temerity of the Browns in thinking that their son's medical condition was not the property of News International and this coloured the subsequent coverage of Brown.

Apparently they had previously published a story about his first daughter who was dying of a brain hemorrhage a week before her death, so they even had form before then of treating his family despicably.

I love how every comment on that Australian story tells them to get fucked. Never seen that at the Australian before. Even their rabid supporters aren't willing to put a good word in for them at the moment.
walkdogz +

Times thanked
<
BSkyB deal off, News has really managed to put some noses out of joint with this.
SoulWhiteMan +

is on the national broadband network

Times thanked
<
hopefully this has flow on effects to the extent that Colbert is taking the piss out of unemployed Fox News anchors after the station gets shut down....
Honest Abe +

Old School

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoulWhiteMan View Post

hopefully this has flow on effects to the extent that Colbert is taking the piss out of unemployed Fox News anchors after the station gets shut down....

Oh yeah. There are rumblings in Washington about investigating possible NewsCorp employee hacking into the phones of 9/11 victims. Maybe the whole sorry house of cards can be toppled? Yeah, right.
baax +

Times thanked
<
http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/conte...1/s3268965.htm

Now News Corp is being sued, what a week for Rupy
SOUNDCLOUD

MIXCLOUD
SoulWhiteMan +

is on the national broadband network

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honest Abe View Post

Oh yeah. There are rumblings in Washington about investigating possible NewsCorp employee hacking into the phones of 9/11 victims. Maybe the whole sorry house of cards can be toppled? Yeah, right.

I'm bit optimistic about this Abe, think about how many bridges the Murdoch empire has scortched, needless to say there are 200 suddenly unemployed pissed off poms and a former PM who have been burned.

This is just the begonning...
Honest Abe +

Old School

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoulWhiteMan View Post

I'm bit optimistic about this Abe, think about how many bridges the Murdoch empire has scortched, needless to say there are 200 suddenly unemployed pissed off poms and a former PM who have been burned.

This is just the begonning...

Well it'd be nice if you were right. But he's one very powerful billionaire who's used to getting his way. I suspect it'll all blow over, with a few sacrificial lambs thrown to the legal lions and Rupie off scot-free with his $$$s.
Balls Deep +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 7,917 Times in 2,020 Posts
News of the world can ggf but I dunno if its a good idea to have a government body regulating the media...?

Listening to some of the guardian/bbc podcasts I couldnt believe the amount of people who bought notw every week thinking it was gospel. I thought everyone knew it was 99% horse shit, just entertainment like a copy of VIZ
It's over you BASTARDS!
dbb618 +

md5sum < /dev/urandom

Times thanked
<
in Australian you have the media regulating a government. The News Corp papers here have an extraordinary power over democracy.

edit : crikey piece today agrees http://www.crikey.com.au/2011/07/14/...-bskyb-austar/

Last edited by dbb618: 15-Jul-11 at 07:28am

base615 +

base, proud, shallow, beggarly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,589 Times in 1,167 Posts
So Brooks finally resigns. It only took a few weeks, she really has a sense of responsibility par excellance

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaVeR_SpIkE View Post

all i can say is fuck you ref you fuckhead

rancho +

Oooooooh such a good time

Times thanked
<
Thanked 7,099 Times in 2,856 Posts
brooks has now been arrested http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-..._Phone_Hacking

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

well, according to dictionary.com
chilli is hot pepper food etc.
chilly is cold temperature.

Honest Abe +

Old School

Times thanked
<
Yes, and now she's 'taking legal advice' over whether she should appear before the select committee on Tuesday. Meanwhile back in 2003 she appeared before a select committee and admitted that the NOTW had paid police officers for information. Then she gets arrested (though not in custody) two days before her next appearance before a select committee. What a coincidence!
CheelWinston +

not a cop

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,172 Posts
Heard some reports that it's 'very likely' James Murdoch will be charged.

that's some heavy shit.

Personally I'm glad this all got sorted before they had a chance to tap Our Thorpie's phones at the London Games.
Listen to your friend Cheely Zane
He is a cool guy...
Honest Abe +

Old School

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheelWinston View Post

Personally I'm glad this all got sorted before they had a chance to tap Our Thorpie's phones at the London Games.

Maybe, but now we'll never find out if he's gay or not.

Meanwhile, Rebekah Brooks surrenders to the Met:

Honest Abe +

Old School

Times thanked
<
I note that Rebekah Brooks' arrest is headline news in the broadcast, online and print media...and buried way down the page with a small by-line at the Telly.
legal-affairs +

Moderator says 2.0

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheelWinston View Post

Heard some reports that it's 'very likely' James Murdoch will be charged.

that's some heavy shit.

Gee, it's lucky that this was all down to "one rogue reporter", isn't it? Imagine how much fallout there would have been if voicemail hacking had been widespread?
But we're fools if we sit back and stare at the ground
While the weasels and analysts sing
If we want our place in history, we can't let the frustration
Drive us to fashionable drinking again
Page 1 of 3

« Previous Thread Next Thread »