Gaming, Computers, Phones, and Gadgets

The Last of Us - New Naughty Dog Game (PS3)

Tools
Fledz +

Royal Astrological Metaphysician

Times thanked
<
Thanked 6,163 Times in 3,050 Posts
I'm playing Uncharted 2 now and it's nowhere near as good as you guys made it out be, especially since I finished TLoU before it. UC2 is a great game but falls well short of literally dozens of other games I've played in my life. TLoU on the other hand is easily in the top 10 if not the top 5.

Then again I have a particular need for a good story so my bias tends to lean towards games with a large focus on storytelling (Planescape, Deus Ex, Chrono Trigger, etc).
ianwil1976 +

Autism

Times thanked
<
Thanked 15,156 Times in 6,136 Posts
Planescape changed my life. Best game ever.
lak attack +

I eat stickers all the time dude

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,538 Times in 577 Posts
Borrowed this off a friend while I had some time off and smashed through it in a week or so. I was so sad when it was over, I jsut never wanted it to end Absolutely brilliant game
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fledz View Post

I'm playing Uncharted 2 now and it's nowhere near as good as you guys made it out be, especially since I finished TLoU before it. UC2 is a great game but falls well short of literally dozens of other games I've played in my life. TLoU on the other hand is easily in the top 10 if not the top 5.

Then again I have a particular need for a good story so my bias tends to lean towards games with a large focus on storytelling (Planescape, Deus Ex, Chrono Trigger, etc).

hey what didn't you like about UC2?

i thought it was a good story, great pacing, and had naughty dog's usual attention to detail. the unlockable bonuses were awesome too. obviously just a fun, action packed, adventure game as opposed to the dark and gloomy wasteland we have here.

on a side note -- i never realised nolan north is also in TLoU. w00t!
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
UMGAWA +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,379 Times in 1,154 Posts
I didn't even notice Nolan North was in the game until the credits, it blew my mind.

Then again, he's in 90% of games doing voice overs.
Fledz +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicy View Post

hey what didn't you like about UC2?

i thought it was a good story, great pacing, and had naughty dog's usual attention to detail. the unlockable bonuses were awesome too. obviously just a fun, action packed, adventure game as opposed to the dark and gloomy wasteland we have here.

on a side note -- i never realised nolan north is also in TLoU. w00t!

I didn't say I don't like, I do! It just isn't blowing me away as much as I expected it would. Yet to finish though so I'll reserve final judgement until then.
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 10,810 Times in 4,660 Posts
as a whole i think i got more out of Uncharted 2 than this. This could've been a lot better than it was & the ending lost it so many brownie points
ianwil1976 +

Autism

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by UMGAWA View Post

I didn't even notice Nolan North was in the game until the credits, it blew my mind.

Then again, he's in 90% of games doing voice overs.

He's the Penguin in Arkham City, which I think is fucking cool. Really shows his versatility.

Fave role, though...the prince in PoP 2008. Got so much love for that game!
Sambuca +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I didn't say I don't like, I do! It just isn't blowing me away as much as I expected it would. Yet to finish though so I'll reserve final judgement until then.

UC2 as expected, storyline wise might as well be a cookie cutter Indiana jones movie.
I think where it gets (most) people is its epic scope and action sequences. Sure did it for me.
Good day prospective employer, I am both smarter than a hatful of periwinkles and prettier than two bags of smashed assholes. Fail to employ me at your own risk.
Chippie +

dm6

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,759 Times in 910 Posts
No they didn't. They announced the DLC.

Honestly just stop posting you are always wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

guessing im really slow on this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derelict View Post

It's called being a tradie, dickhead.

Eh... my gay friend that works in IT recommended them to me

Chippie +

dm6

Times thanked
<
It's a prequel for those that are interested.

Quote:

Quote:

Chippie +

dm6

Times thanked
<
Sick deleted post j-rod

Quote:

Quote:

jarrardscott +

I start arguments then blame everyone else, and now I have this shitty My Little Pony icon

Times thanked
<
Thanked 5,000 Times in 2,101 Posts
what post? :p
the dolphin tits one?

Spoiler:
No, don't do that.

Last edited by Bracko: 16-Nov-13 at 09:05am

UMGAWA +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianwil1976 View Post

He's the Penguin in Arkham City, which I think is fucking cool. Really shows his versatility.

Fave role, though...the prince in PoP 2008. Got so much love for that game!

Versatility? By the fucking bucket load!

He's gonna give you shivers.
Fledz +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chippie View Post

It's a prequel for those that are interested.

Hell yea

Spoiler:
Is this her best friend? So the DLC is basically what they do before and then when they both get bitten, they decide to die and turn together. Fade to black.

Could be a pretty sweet DLC if so and would nicely fill in the gap of what actually happened to them and what Ellie was like before she met Joel.

ed- Yep, that's exactly what it is plus some apparent twists and surprises. Can't wait! Early next year.

Last edited by Fledz: 15-Nov-13 at 10:25pm

Derelict +

Derpcore gets the derpy dollars

Times thanked
<
Thanked 5,918 Times in 3,420 Posts
Hoping to finally get around to playing this over the Christmas break. I really should have brought my ps3 away with me for all this time.
UMGAWA +

Times thanked
<

Oh my.

Spoiler:
jiz
Wowk +

Has got special powers and he's got lots of friends

Times thanked
<
I'm just so glad Ellie is back Hope Joel is too

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psyentist

More than 23 Australians like techno (and I can prove it)...
http://soundcloud.com/groups/techno-fans-australia

ianwil1976 +

Autism

Times thanked
<
Just started Fall. I saw the end of Summer coming, but it was still a kick in the bollocks.

So many sick moments in Pittsburgh and after, too many to list really. Amazing game, loving every minute!
Fledz +

Times thanked
<
Look at this fuckin peasant, not even close to Winter and already creaming himself
ianwil1976 +

Autism

Times thanked
<
Spoiler:
I'll tell you what I really loved; the story of Ish and the sewer community. Told entirely through his notes, and what you piece together by travelling through there, and then out into the town. So well done, got so many Fallout 3 flashbacks from countless similar experiences in the Capital Wasteland.

The bit in the "creche" room; "THEY DIDN'T SUFFER" scrawled on the ground, the dead adult body in the corney (Kyle), the sheet covering the 3 or 4 small bodies. Reading his final note and then when you exit the note screen, Joel muttering "Jesus..." to himself. Perfect.
Fledz +

Times thanked
<
Spoiler:
For sure, that was great. It's bits and pieces like that in games that really flesh them out.
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
<
shit like that is why i enjoyed this game. otherwise it was standard platformy shit like uncharted etc
like uncharted & others, the shooty bits are the boring parts. they're something i have to push through to get to the good bits
Fledz +

Times thanked
<
Definitely all about the story in TLoU though I thought the combat was decent. Mainly due to the stealth focus and the fact that I wasn't forced to murder 4 gazillion people like in Uncharted.
ianwil1976 +

Autism

Times thanked
<
I'm constantly finding myself with a surplus of bullets, wherever possible I'm a sneaky chokey shivvy bricky melee-y type o' guy.

I find the close quarters fighting extremely gratifying, even though all you're really doing is mashing the square button and sometimes pushing triangle. There are so many contextual outcomes based on where you're fighting, it always feels like more than it is.

I love doing a running attack, knocks ****s clean out
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
<
save your ammo. you'll need it for some parts where you have no choice but to shooty shooty
UMGAWA +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by NismoR31 View Post

save your ammo. you'll need it for some parts where you have no choice but to shooty shooty

Don't read this spoiler Ian, seriously, DON'T

Spoiler:
that section with all the fireflys? You lose all your shit though, right? I scraped by in that section and had to run the last section into the operation room! I had two bullets left. Left one nurse snivelling in the corner.
ianwil1976 +

Autism

Times thanked
<
Have no fear, dude, haven't clicked any of them!
UMGAWA +

Times thanked
<
Confirmed: Ian isn't a clicker, everyone put down your shivs.
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Spoiler:
that section with all the fireflys? You lose all your shit though, right? I scraped by in that section and had to run the last section into the operation room! I had two bullets left. Left one nurse snivelling in the corner.

nah
Spoiler:
you can sort of stealth most of that section. I used smoke bombs, molotovs & a grenade or two and the bow to take them all out

i was thinking more like in the winter bit where you're in that building with that guy and all the clickers come for you. nowhere to hide there and you need LOTS of ammo. I didn't have a terribly large stockpile so things got quite tense when i was smashing clicker faces with shivs / lead pipe. Some of them drop rifle ammo (i think it was rifle ammo?) but not much and that fucking rifle is so slow!
patrickbateman +

the devil's son

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,263 Posts
just beat this game last night, probably the best single player campaign i've ever played, didn't want the game to ever end! played through on hard, total of 21 hours playtime (although not sure how accurate this is because i think i left the game on a couple times while charging my controller) and died 173 times lol, though i did go out of my way to kill everyone in sight whilst being a massive tight ass with my ammo. think i killed everyone in the game apart from a couple of bloaters.

somehow missed a lot of collectibles, which is weird because i thought i was pretty good at exploring everywhere, think i spent more time checking out every possible path and every little corner than i did shooting bad guys...

Spoiler:
totally fell in love with ellie (no pedo) and was worried because although i'd tried not to read any spoilers or anything i'd seen a couple of people complain about the ending and i was prepared for a sad ending, figured either ellie or joel were going to die, was stoked to see us both survive.

the whole hospital part was intense, killed every motherfucker in sight, charged into the surgery room and put a clip into everyone in the room and then grabbed ellie and got the hell out of there

going to replay the game again on survivor next.

Quote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
this part took me ages but i managed to stealth kill everyone apart from the last hallway where i hid in a smoke cloud and shot ****s

haven't looked at multiplayer yet, is it worth checking out?
patrickbateman +

the devil's son

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,263 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by NismoR31 View Post

nah

Spoiler:
you can sort of stealth most of that section. I used smoke bombs, molotovs & a grenade or two and the bow to take them all out

i was thinking more like in the winter bit where you're in that building with that guy and all the clickers come for you. nowhere to hide there and you need LOTS of ammo. I didn't have a terribly large stockpile so things got quite tense when i was smashing clicker faces with shivs / lead pipe. Some of them drop rifle ammo (i think it was rifle ammo?) but not much and that fucking rifle is so slow!

Spoiler:
in situations like this i just tried to lure the runners away and punch them to death.

easily the hardest part in the game for me was after you kill the deer with ellie and you have to fight off the infected with that scumbag, the part right when the bloater comes down and ****s are climbing through the windows and shit. i died about 30 times, the other guy is straight up retarded, worst partner ever, completely useless. he'd get caught by a clicker and i'd go to save him then get killed from behind by another clicker, etc... didn't help that i only had like 20% health at the start of the checkpoint so i basically had to take no hits or i'd die
Fledz +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Spoiler:

You can stealth through most of that. I didn't though because it was nice to go all guns blazing there and you can understand why
ianwil1976 +

Autism

Times thanked
<
82% done, don't want it to end.

Spoiler:
Playing as Ellie in Winter is sooooooooooooo fucking cool. Very disturbing seeing her die, though
ianwil1976 +

Autism

Times thanked
<
Up to Spring. Fuck me, Winter was epic. That final scene...
Wowk +

Has got special powers and he's got lots of friends

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianwil1976 View Post

Up to Spring. Fuck me, Winter was epic. That final scene...

The end of Winter is the most feels I've felt while playing a game in a really long time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psyentist

More than 23 Australians like techno (and I can prove it)...
http://soundcloud.com/groups/techno-fans-australia

ianwil1976 +

Autism

Times thanked
<
Finished.

Fuck.

I need to digest, I'll be back.
Chippie +

dm6

Times thanked
<
Grab the season pass to watch the making of documentary now

Quote:

Quote:

ianwil1976 +

Autism

Times thanked
<
Okay, so...the ending.

Spoiler:
Loved it. There's no other way it could've gone right, not with Joel already having lost his daughter all those years ago. I can't remember reading/listening to anything in the game, but I kind of assumed they didn't give Ellie a choice? She didn't know she was going to die? Keen for a definite answer on this because it would change a lot of how I feel about Joel. Either way though...an amazing finale. When he shoots Arlene in the head...dang.

Oh, also, on a similar note...when he's questioning those two guys in town, and he stabs one in the knee. Fuck. Stone cold motherfucker.

I'm interested that you guys say you didn't have your full arsenal in the last section? I most definitely did. All upgraded, all the ammo, everything. Also interesting that a few of you had ammo troubles in previous sections, I never once got down to reserves. Maybe it's because I was such a stealthy fucker all the way through, but even in big shoot out sections I didn't struggle. The worst was probably the last bit with the cannibal guy (before you know he's that) at the beginning of winter. That bloater, though...shot him twice with the rifle as he fell down from the roof and he didn't get back up. Maybe I got lucky?

Still thinking about it two days after finishing. An amazing game that will stay with me for a long time. Will give this copy back to my mate and buy again in the new year methinks, play through NG+ survivor
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
<
i didn't think it was possible to upgrade everything in one playthrough?
ianwil1976 +

Autism

Times thanked
<
It's not. Sorry, I didn't mean everything was *totally* upgraded, just that when I started that section the guns I had were upgraded to the point I had them in the last section. If that makes sense

I don't think I fully upgraded anything tbh, just spread the parts out across each of them. Focussing on the later heavy hitters once I got them.

Spoiler:
I didn't use the flamethrower once, though. Didn't really sit with my playstyle.
ABitPatchy +

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,550 Times in 1,587 Posts
Flamethrower was brilliant for when you were overwhelmed and sitting there going oh god, oh god, oh crap, oh man, crap, oh my god, sheet.
CAT API
ianwil1976 +

Autism

Times thanked
<
That's probably why I never used it

Spoiler:

Most gratifying weapon...handaxe with melee upgrade. Yummy.
Fledz +

Times thanked
<
I went mental with the flamethrower in the tunnel/overpass thingy with the two bloaters where
Spoiler:
You get picked up by the Fireflies at the end of it

Re: Ellie
Spoiler:
Listen to the logs of the doctors and Marlene, Ellie wasn't entirely aware of what was happening to her.
Chippie +

dm6

Times thanked
<
Once you get the bow you don't need the guns anymore.

Quote:

Quote:

ianwil1976 +

Autism

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I went mental with the flamethrower in the tunnel/overpass thingy with the two bloaters where

Spoiler:
You get picked up by the Fireflies at the end of it

Spoiler:
Stealthed that entire section, only had to kill about four runners and one clicker.

Quote:

Re: Ellie

Spoiler:
Listen to the logs of the doctors and Marlene, Ellie wasn't entirely aware of what was happening to her.

Yeah, I listened to those but couldn't tell one way or the other. I was a bit hungover - GF's Xmas party the night before - so my mental faculties weren't 100% there. Cheers
ianwil1976 +

Autism

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Spoiler:
I never really used that until Winter with Ellie. Will defo utilise more on NG+ survivor! Fucking great weapon.
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

pretty much.
ianwil1976 +

Autism

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Versatility? By the fucking bucket load!

He's gonna give you shivers.

Holy fuck, this just twigged. He's David?!

Damn.
ianwil1976 +

Autism

Times thanked
<
Anyone read this?

Think I'll grab this week.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »