Old Skool

Do you feel sorry for the kids of today?

Page 1 of 2
  Tools
JulesPLees +

Just about sick of it. Totes.

Times thanked
<
Do you feel sorry for the kids of today?
Im now 30 - i started going out to underages in the mid 90's - i got to hear some seminal tracks that shaped dance music. Since then tunes seem to come and go so much faster (as does time i guess) - it just seems to me that classic dance tunes arent really what they used to be.

what i kinda mean i guess...

So many rehashes of yunes shows a definite lack of creativity. Hold that sucker down, that old bucketheads tune etc etc get the remix treatment and A. Sound Shitter than the originals and B. Show no originality and really dont gie the next generation a dance sound of their own.

The new 'Big tunes' of today - ie Calvin Harris tripe - is just PLain bad. Now im not being a grumpy old fart who cant see the good in it..it just isnt really that good. Compare something like Calvin Harris to Da Hool - Met her at the love parade...now granted mhatlp isnt the best thing ever written - but it does have (as do some of da hools other classics) a bit more depth...and groove to it the the aforementioned harris.

Where is the groundbreaking awesome mad shit thats brand new that was made in the last 6 months? who makes quality crossover anthems anymore? has dance music become to throwaway?

I dunno maybe this is just me getting old and jaded. But seriously im pretty happy i grew up when i did - i guess i missed a lot of the acid house stuff which was probably pretty kool - but i seriously reckon if i was 16-20 years old today - i wouldnt have a thing to do with dance music.
Something Coming.
Rysh +

confuciusornis

Times thanked
<
Oh nose im still 20 for one more month :O Underage parties got banned about the time I first got into EDM too unfortunately.

If the kids really cared about the music they might be bothered to discover the real old school classics themselves. The new Haceienda Acid House Classics CD is pretty kool for this actually. I wish I would have been from that era of new music and experimenting, but that doesnt stop me hunting down the music for the 1st time

Im not sure what im getting at, but Calvin Harris is not cool. Another thing worth possibly mentioning is the childrens lack of exposure to how certain artists used to be good, or better at least. Tiesto and the like. Even one Armand Van Helden track from 95 is really really sick...
dbb618 +

md5sum < /dev/urandom

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,756 Times in 925 Posts
I feel sorry for the OP ... you missed all the great underground parties and clubs from the late 80s and early 90s.
Hopped in the car and torpe'ed to the shack
Of Shaheed, "We gotta go back" when he said
"Why?" I said, "We gotta go
'Cause I left my wallet in El Segundo"

http://twitter.com/derekbradley
http://untappd.com/user/dbb618

https://plus.google.com/117630500124...73/posts?hl=en
Msraver +

Chasing the sun...

Times thanked
<
Not really. They don't know any different, so what they're hearing now is cool and cutting edge to them. I'm sure they're having a great time.

I remember in the mid/late 80's (it would have been 87 - 89), I was up late one night and had triple J on. They played some sort of amazing new music and I remember thinking it was mind blowingly different and I liked it.

I still remember the DJ saying something like "And that is a new style of music coming out of the UK right now called ACID HOUSE". And while I didn't discover raves until 93, that was certainly the start of my love affair with electronica/dance music that night.

Rave music/techno, what ever you want to call it, is/was great. I still play my mixtapes, yes, tapes, in my car all the time. But if I was going out now for the first time and coming across Armin or Tiesto, I would be gobsmacked. I am gobsmacked anyway. People can bag modern trance as much as they want, it's just beautiful, smooth music.

Things are still good.
Astride my horse I soar. He trots the air; the earth sings when he touches it; the horn of his hoof is more musical than the pipe of Hermes. He is pure air and fire; the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him. His neigh is the bidding of a monarch, and his countenance enforces homage.
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
<
Fark me, I absolutely hated Da Hool's Met Her At The Love Parade when it came out! Bland production (sorry, I'm not hearing the depth, nor the groove for that matter) with that damn annoying synth riff played by a someone who'd just discovered a piano and was stuck bashing up and down on the black notes 'cause the stuck out more and were easier to hit. Same goes for 'The Launch', man that track grates me too, always had, but kids today hear it as a classic and cream themselves over the remixes.

Anyway, as much as I'd like to think the kids today have missed out on so much, I've just accepted they're just not into it. On the production forum, I was groaning over 'progressive house/trance' today being so predictable, formulaic, relying on off-beat piano-like stabs and sweeps and washes of white noise pumped in time with the kick drum, and thought, I'll show you some real prog. I linked to a couple of classic Breeder/Slacker tracks, and guess what the kids didn't like it.

What else can I do, it just doesn't do it for them.

I don't like Elvis, nothing much anyone can do to change that.

And don't get me started on 12-bar blues. How can anyone want to hear the same song rehashed for more than 70 odd years?

And when rave/techno was emerging in Sydney circa '92/'93, and the rest of world was stoning to Nirvana, I knew where I much rather be.

Different strokes, different folks, eh?
Fluxx +

Times thanked
<
no
Rysh +

confuciusornis

Times thanked
<
Slacker, oh god, the Slacker. Scared is one of the sickest tracks ever. The vocal sample seems more apt as the years go by
oni0n +

MVP

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulesPLees

Where is the groundbreaking awesome mad shit thats brand new that was made in the last 6 months?

If you take one part of a Trance track like the snareroll buildup, and look at how it has 'evolved' you will see that everything that technology allows has been done to replace them.
Reversed reverb tails, LFO sweeps synced to BPM, Reverse Crashes, 50 billion different bongo hits etc etc etc

So a lot of the stuff that people think is ground breaking Trance music today... actually isnt. Its rehashed. Its been done before.

|||| carn the mighty pies ||||

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Kamla

Danny Granger won MIP last year, but it should have been Kevin Durant. This year, you might wanna replace the middle 'I' with a 'V'

yani_s +

your world, my oyster

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulesPLees

Im now 30 - i started going out to underages in the mid 90's - i got to hear some seminal tracks that shaped dance music. Since then tunes seem to come and go so much faster (as does time i guess) - it just seems to me that classic dance tunes arent really what they used to be.

what i kinda mean i guess...

So many rehashes of yunes shows a definite lack of creativity. Hold that sucker down, that old bucketheads tune etc etc get the remix treatment and A. Sound Shitter than the originals and B. Show no originality and really dont gie the next generation a dance sound of their own.

The new 'Big tunes' of today - ie Calvin Harris tripe - is just PLain bad. Now im not being a grumpy old fart who cant see the good in it..it just isnt really that good. Compare something like Calvin Harris to Da Hool - Met her at the love parade...now granted mhatlp isnt the best thing ever written - but it does have (as do some of da hools other classics) a bit more depth...and groove to it the the aforementioned harris.

Where is the groundbreaking awesome mad shit thats brand new that was made in the last 6 months? who makes quality crossover anthems anymore? has dance music become to throwaway?

I dunno maybe this is just me getting old and jaded. But seriously im pretty happy i grew up when i did - i guess i missed a lot of the acid house stuff which was probably pretty kool - but i seriously reckon if i was 16-20 years old today - i wouldnt have a thing to do with dance music.

Your just the new wave of bitter oldies.. To you it seems like all music is shit nowadays but to them its their golden age that they'll look back on and wonder why its not that good anymore when theyre 30-40. Chill out grandpa
Check out my newest tune, or dont. I wont know either way : http://soundcloud.com/damagec0ntrol/...night-original
Msraver +

Chasing the sun...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by oni0n

If you take one part of a Trance track like the snareroll buildup, and look at how it has 'evolved' you will see that everything that technology allows has been done to replace them.
Reversed reverb tails, LFO sweeps synced to BPM, Reverse Crashes, 50 billion different bongo hits etc etc etc

So a lot of the stuff that people think is ground breaking Trance music today... actually isnt. Its rehashed. Its been done before.

Modern music sounds so much more sophisticated, smooth and full than the dance music of 10 -15+ years ago. I love listening to all the old stuff but it does sound a bit... primitive... in a lot of ways. They seem to make the tracks with a hell of a lot more depth now, more tracks laid over tracks, if that makes sense...
Astride my horse I soar. He trots the air; the earth sings when he touches it; the horn of his hoof is more musical than the pipe of Hermes. He is pure air and fire; the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him. His neigh is the bidding of a monarch, and his countenance enforces homage.
BOXMAKER +

Times thanked
<
Yes I do feel sorry for them...

They missed out on a lot.... Melbourne in its infancy !!

The early evolution of the Genre's and the fashion and the Shuffle?

The resonating sound of the corrugated iron as you were lining up at "SHED 14"

Daffy's.... and double dip strawberrys....

Renegade Tracksuits ....

Parties with no Muscle heads

Parties where there were rows upon rows of RAVERS stomping it out like Soldiers ...

When people went out to Rock! not just to get loaded up on K or G

GLOBAL VILLAGE....

Circa 94...

Bring Back Speedball!
VINED +

Times thanked
<
boxmaker i totally agree with your quite....100%
they really missed shed 14, l still til this day think about it. one of the greatest venues in Melbourne...thank Hardware for all the parties. seeing about 5000 people dancing from the front to the end was a site to see.
l've only been to Global Village once to see Mark NRG, i thought that place went for miles. great venue
l also like Altona Sports and Entertainment Centre. Every Picture Tells a Story held great parties there. Still remember waiting in line and hearing the bass rumbling though the tin shed
I also like Belfast at the Palace (when it was the Palace)

the kids these day dont know what parties are. as you mention they missed the shuffle and probably one of the greatest Australian dj......Will E Tell. He knew how to rock a place

Nowadays its all about Trance this, Trance that, thats my opinion. Back in the 90's there was a rave easily once a month.

everybody was out to how a great nite not get off their heads like today. no hero just a friendly enviroment times have changed

Since Hardwarp, Mud, Agent 33 1/3 events stopped its all been downhill, but big respect to those crews.

I'm only waiting for one more dj to come out and its also been over five years and l'm still waiting.....Jeff Mills if he comes out i will be there with the old tracksuits and smiley face t-shirt
LittleO +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Quote:

they really missed shed 14, l still til this day think about it. one of the greatest venues in Melbourne

Finally someone that speaks the same language as me!

Quote:

probably one of the greatest Australian dj......Will E Tell

mmm! yeah Will was all right but Simon (Digby) was just as good. Plus he was a really lovely guy, back then.
Personally I wasn't that much of a Hardware girl - more Saratoga girl for listening to these boys - small venue lead to some wild music - especially the last night they played in the old one.
But my heart was really at Dome and Mansion. Dome was it and nothing will compare. (God now I'm showing my age)

Though I had some great nights/days at VM's and amazing nights at Shed 14.
Anja +

BMX & 303

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by BOXMAKER

Yes I do feel sorry for them...

They missed out on a lot.... Melbourne in its infancy !!

The early evolution of the Genre's and the fashion and the Shuffle?

Daffy's.... and double dip strawberrys....

Renegade Tracksuits ....

Parties with no Muscle heads

Parties where there were rows upon rows of RAVERS stomping it out like Soldiers ...

When people went out to Rock! not just to get loaded up on K or G

GLOBAL VILLAGE....

this ..... ^^^^^^^ all of it
VINED +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleO

Finally someone that speaks the same language as me!

mmm! yeah Will was all right but Simon (Digby) was just as good. Plus he was a really lovely guy, back then.
Personally I wasn't that much of a Hardware girl - more Saratoga girl for listening to these boys - small venue lead to some wild music - especially the last night they played in the old one.
But my heart was really at Dome and Mansion. Dome was it and nothing will compare. (God now I'm showing my age)

LittleO

Simon Digby was a great dj dont get me wrong but l feel will rocked the parties with his hard thumping techno. everyone has their own opinion.

The mansion that was a great small venue. Still remember seeing Phonk De Soniques first live set. Oh my god, Christain Vance has gone a far way. I also loved the Hi Fi Bar, very impressive club espically Thursday. Respect to Dee Dee and Slack.
ZyklonB +

Recreation abUSER

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by VINED

Since Hardwarp, Mud, Agent 33 1/3 events stopped its all been downhill, but big respect to those crews.

Hardware are still around. That cockhead that I wont name played a huge part to play in the death of raves in Melbourne. When he teamed up with Mark James (Future Entertainment) to put on Two Tribes that was the beginning of the end. Once they realised that they could fuse the underground and commercial wog crowd into one party, it turned into a cash cow. Why would Hardware bother putting on a big underground party for a few thousand people when these dogs are filling Rod Laver arena with Commercial acts and bringing in $5million for the night in ticket sales. I boycotted the first Two Tribes and went by myself to a bush doof that night. I missed out on seeing Der Dritte Raum who are one of my favourite acts of all time and I have never seen because I knew what was going on. Hardware sold us out first with Apollo Festival then Two Tribes. I know Mark James is just a business man and a slighty decent dj but he sold the soul of the Melbourne scene.

I do feel sorry for the kids, not for the music that they missed out on but the whole experience they missed out on. Going to Rod Laver with your "Mario cousins" and eating a shit pill can not compare to candy flippin at Global Village with the freedom of knowing that everyone there is on the same wavelength. Decor was off the wall and the M.U.D dudes spent alot of time and effort on that shit.
Remember Mutoid Waste Co and the Dont Shoot The Messanger screens. Now you just get a shit load of expensive lights that do look shit hot but its not the same.
I was a shit hot dancer but I never made fun of hippies that looked like absolute retards on the dance floor. They were having a good time and I was havin it with them. These days these clowns have their shuffle crews and the arrogance is at an all time high. If you arnt wearing the latest in the junkie gear that they are wearing and cant dance like some of them they wouldnt give you the time of day. Raves were a place for everyone. Misfits, freaks, hippies, graffitti writers, nerds. Now its for a bunch of wanna be hardcore, trendy elitist bitches.

In the words of Bizz O.D "You may be hardcore but your not my type".....
The music was new black polished chrome and came over the summer like liquid night.........
buffed +

Times thanked
<
i don't think the music is any worse or better, just the scene is very different. it should be remembered that festivals were huge when rave first started in sydney in the late 80's/early 90's, so there's nothing different there.......they are just much bigger now and they were called raves not festivals.

To me the biggest thing that has killed dance music and the sene is the internet. I recall back in the day, the only time you could hear a new release is when carl cox toured. he would play a 3 hour set and you could not identify one track. Now, you know what set the DJ is likely to play before he has even stepped into the country by simply looking at what he played the week before on the internet.
BOXMAKER +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZyklonB

. Now its for a bunch of wanna be hardcore, trendy elitist bitches.

Take their Phatties away and they are nothing !!!

We can all do the running man.. !!!!

These kids probably have never seen an old schooler... shuffling.. legs going like a blender floating across the 1m x 1m square floor u needed... stomping till your toe nails go black.. looking like an epileptic doing aerobics but all in pure controlled Bliss...

M.U.D member 27 ..... p.s what ever happend to these????
Circa 94...

Bring Back Speedball!
Cosmica +

OS

Times thanked
<
MUD are back:

http://www.everypicturetellsastory.com.au/
!!!
jay 613 +

BrInG ThE BeAt BaCk

Times thanked
<
I feel sorry for all of us oldies out there, where the hell would we go nowadays if we wanted to cut loose....the old times will remain but a faded memory for some, but to the true living memory for those who went out with the motto " as writen on my old purple Bankussi top"....PEACE LOVE HAPPINESS....Is sure to live on forever.
Viva La Oldskool
Peace..

BrInG ThE BeAt BaCk

Times thanked
<
Btw, to answer the question of the original poster, i would have to say that i don't feel sorry for the kids of today...why would i? and why would anyone else?, they don't know any better and are probably enjoying the whole thing"just like we did" when it was new to all of us. Fortunately we were there in it's infancy and this is something we should all be thankful for.
This culture will always go with the times, and as long as our precious TECHNO lives on, who the hell cares...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I feel sorry for all of us oldies out there, where the hell would we go nowadays if we wanted to cut loose.

this is actually a good question.

So were would us old skoolers go today?
BOXMAKER +

Times thanked
<
An over 30/35 event now that would ROCK ...

request .. HMC (only if he plays JB3 FORKLIFT ) , Dave Clarke ... or even old Virus acid crew...

Possibly even don on the Gazelles and the Renegade tracksuit .. hehehe..
Circa 94...

Bring Back Speedball!
BlueSteel +

Calling everyone a homo since 2002

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Well then you should remember his brother Jason who used to play at Saratoga, shits all over his brother in attitude and as a Dj.

I will always remember him for dropping Black is Black - Allnighters for the first time.
LittleO +

Times thanked
<
I only met Jason once or twice maybe but yeah he was even lovelier in personality than his brother. something really sweet about Jason (well at least from a female side of things)

So yeah I will agree with you Blue!

Quote:

Simon Digby was a great dj dont get me wrong but l feel will rocked the parties with his hard thumping techno. everyone has their own opinion.

The mansion that was a great small venue.

mmmm! I probably just spent too much time hearing Simon play outside of the clubs, just to friends and stuff so this most likely colours the way I see things!

Boxy boy are you just making fun now! so old I am I need
BlueSteel +

Times thanked
<
When you say old, how old are you talking about?
LittleO +

Times thanked
<
Now now I don't know if girls like me should say how old they really are!

Lets just say I was definitely born in the 1970's.

The clues are I was in my early to mid 20's in the Dome, Mansion, Shed 14 days. I remember monkey on Sunday nights!

It's easier for guys! There is always more of a mixture of ages with guys out and about. But girls going out tend to be younger!

Only saving grace is some people think I'm still in my mid-twenties. Let's put it this way my nephews are old enough to go out with me!
BlueSteel +

Times thanked
<
Well here is a clue for you about my age, in my 20's I used to go to Fantasia which was the old Evolution on Commercial Rd, sometimes 3 Faces across the road, Mansion when Sean Quinn and Gavin Keitel used to playing, Tasty nightclub before it got raided and yes, Monkey at the Palace. Also all the dock parties you can think of at shed 1, 3 and 14. I think i'm older than you.

P.S. No, im not gay.
BOXMAKER +

Times thanked
<
Maybe as OLD as me ..

Circa 94...

Bring Back Speedball!
BlueSteel +

Times thanked
<
Geez... Donni 1, Paul Main and is that meant to be Nathan G? Yeah, maybe as old as you.
Anja +

BMX & 303

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueSteel

Well here is a clue for you about my age, in my 20's I used to go to Fantasia which was the old Evolution on Commercial Rd, sometimes 3 Faces across the road, Mansion when Sean Quinn and Gavin Keitel used to playing, Tasty nightclub before it got raided and yes, Monkey at the Palace. Also all the dock parties you can think of at shed 1, 3 and 14. I think i'm older than you.

P.S. No, im not gay.

LOL, I went to all those then, Monkey was the farken bomb for a good while back then, need another reunion party!
Edstacee +

Jackanackanory.

Times thanked
<

Quote:

When he teamed up with Mark James (Future Entertainment) to put on Two Tribes that was the beginning of the end. Once they realised that they could fuse the underground and commercial wog crowd into one party, it turned into a cash cow.

And there is your reference point, when the wog club crowd came on board it was the start of the end, as was the rise of shit cheap pills flooding the market thanks to Carl Williams and the like. Late 80s and very early 90s I was too young to be part of it, but the friends I had who went described a whole new world emerging..there isn't anything like that anymore.

I say it is also related to the 90s future shock we went through at the time, which felt like we were being a part of something from the future now.. Of course it now looks so much like the past. Acid, cheap fairly good speed and real eccys (not "pills" which have anything from metal filaments to ratsak to real MDMA in them) also added to the good times, instead of the current crop of coked up ullehs and blind drunk white trash thinking they are some A list celebrities. Not every dickhead with a USB stick was a DJ, to play a gig meant an investment of thousands of dollars and time.

Kids of today have to look elsewhere to truly be part of an underground relevant movement, parts of the hiphop scene have that, alot of rock and similar styles have that, parts of the EDM scene are definitely still there, but across all of these scenes, marketing has turned them into blind show ponies who think that it is ok to wear a flag as a cape while you drink a whole bottle of Jager at these "festivals" (probably by the graduates of Gen X that we niced it up with at Hordern/Global/Enchanted Forest and Earthcore!).

I am just glad I started collecting records when I did, having bought my first tunes off of Sean Quinn at Sulfurik records, Will E and Central, and David Carbone who was a good enough guy to actually talk about the music and helped me understand. Music is so throwaway because of the freedoms of MP3s and digi distribution, both a blessing and a curse..there are no anthems anymore though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mireyleese

Drink lots and you will have heaps of fun. He puts on quite the show, definatly not a dj to watch for song selection and technical skills, but great music to just go crazy and jump around to :]

(on Steve Aoki)

Check out DJ mixes here
Check out my own shit here
LittleO +

Times thanked
<
Three faces I haven't heard anyone mention it in years and yes was there once or twice! I'll give it to you blue steel you might be a little older than me but not too much older.

Quote:

. Donni 1, Paul Main and is that meant to be Nathan G?

Yep remember these guys.

Does anyone remember the bizarre 'Key hole' room at Mansion - it had like a mirror wall section. I promise this is not just in my head!

I saw some weird stuff at Mansion - the crowd was - um well lets say unique.
Edstacee +

Jackanackanory.

Times thanked
<
MUD warehouse, Dane Centre, Temple, back of the Palace..Take me back to a time when the pubs closed, the idiots all went home or to the Metro, no one knew what we were up to, and we had the city all to ourselves.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mireyleese

Drink lots and you will have heaps of fun. He puts on quite the show, definatly not a dj to watch for song selection and technical skills, but great music to just go crazy and jump around to :]

(on Steve Aoki)

Check out DJ mixes here
Check out my own shit here
Msraver +

Chasing the sun...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

this is actually a good question.

So were would us old skoolers go today?

Well, we Sydney old skoolers can do this in less than 2 weeks:

http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...d.php?t=260315

Two weeks after that I'm going to Future Music Festival to see The Prodigy and Above and Beyond. And I will have an absolute ball at both.

And I was born before the 70's
Msraver +

Chasing the sun...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Hardware are still around. That cockhead that I wont name played a huge part to play in the death of raves in Melbourne. When he teamed up with Mark James (Future Entertainment) to put on Two Tribes that was the beginning of the end. Once they realised that they could fuse the underground and commercial wog crowd into one party, it turned into a cash cow. Why would Hardware bother putting on a big underground party for a few thousand people when these dogs are filling Rod Laver arena with Commercial acts and bringing in $5million for the night in ticket sales. I boycotted the first Two Tribes and went by myself to a bush doof that night. I missed out on seeing Der Dritte Raum who are one of my favourite acts of all time and I have never seen because I knew what was going on. Hardware sold us out first with Apollo Festival then Two Tribes. I know Mark James is just a business man and a slighty decent dj but he sold the soul of the Melbourne scene.

I do feel sorry for the kids, not for the music that they missed out on but the whole experience they missed out on. Going to Rod Laver with your "Mario cousins" and eating a shit pill can not compare to candy flippin at Global Village with the freedom of knowing that everyone there is on the same wavelength. Decor was off the wall and the M.U.D dudes spent alot of time and effort on that shit.
Remember Mutoid Waste Co and the Dont Shoot The Messanger screens. Now you just get a shit load of expensive lights that do look shit hot but its not the same.
I was a shit hot dancer but I never made fun of hippies that looked like absolute retards on the dance floor. They were having a good time and I was havin it with them. These days these clowns have their shuffle crews and the arrogance is at an all time high. If you arnt wearing the latest in the junkie gear that they are wearing and cant dance like some of them they wouldnt give you the time of day. Raves were a place for everyone. Misfits, freaks, hippies, graffitti writers, nerds. Now its for a bunch of wanna be hardcore, trendy elitist bitches.

This is really interesting, respect your opinion.

Personally, these days I love going to well organised events at venues that are not a fire hazard, where everyone else's sweat doesn't rain down on me, where there are enough toilets, toilet paper, and water/drinks available.

Future is one slickly run operation in Sydney, and I admire that.
ZyklonB +

Recreation abUSER

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Msraver

This is really interesting, respect your opinion.

Personally, these days I love going to well organised events at venues that are not a fire hazard, where everyone else's sweat doesn't rain down on me, where there are enough toilets, toilet paper, and water/drinks available.

Future is one slickly run operation in Sydney, and I admire that.

Also respect your opinion but I loved it the other way around. If I want amenities I go to a nightclub.
I dont know if you are from or have been to Melbourne in the 90s but it was much different here before Future started putting on these mega parties. I know that Sydney was a big happy hardcore city in the 90s but we were big on acid, techno, acid-techno, trance, acid-trance, psy-trance, jungle, dnb, nrg, etc all under the one roof. I only ever went to one or two nights in Sydney during the 90s so it is hard for me to talk but it was different here back then. Words will never be able to describe it so I wont even try. All I can say is listening to Oliver Lieb in a shed with a few thousand people on the same wavelength is alot different to eating a shit goog and watching Tiesto in a packed out stadium with 50 sniffer dogs out the front and a bunch of steroid freak muzzas wondering how easy it would be to rape your girlfriend.

I could really go on all night as I have had this conversation hundreds of times. All I can say is I have well and truly hang up my air maxes. You might see me at EPTAS but after that never again. Would much rather spin vinyl at home with good mates than have another terrible experience. Arm in Arm, I forget to mention, I would keep going to that but thats it.

Signing out, Jaded ex-raver.
The music was new black polished chrome and came over the summer like liquid night.........
LittleO +

Times thanked
<
Msraver,
I have to agree with ZyklonB with this however I also can't comment on how things where is Sydney. But in melb it was a terrible unique time.
I agree with Zyklon - now you have much more to contend with - at the larger events you have medico's working flat chat - with the combination of fights and people (particularly young guys)downing all their stuff in one go because of the dogs. It adds a danger element that did not use to be there to such a degree.

But maybe Sydney is different.

I do miss how they made small dance rooms with the shipping containers outside shed 14. Nothing like feeling the cool air rush down between the containers, have great music and starry skies above.

I think people's attitude was different and as a girl in general I felt safer.
Anja +

BMX & 303

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Msraver

Well, we Sydney old skoolers can do this in less than 2 weeks:

http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...d.php?t=260315

Two weeks after that I'm going to Future Music Festival to see The Prodigy and Above and Beyond. And I will have an absolute ball at both.

And I was born before the 70's

That looks bloody awesome!
We need that in Melb!
Anja +

BMX & 303

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Also respect your opinion but I loved it the other way around. If I want amenities I go to a nightclub.
I dont know if you are from or have been to Melbourne in the 90s but it was much different here before Future started putting on these mega parties. I know that Sydney was a big happy hardcore city in the 90s but we were big on acid, techno, acid-techno, trance, acid-trance, psy-trance, jungle, dnb, nrg, etc all under the one ro

of. I only ever went to one or two nights in Sydney during the 90s so it is hard for me to talk but it was different here back then. Words will never be able to describe it so I wont even try. All I can say is listening to Oliver Lieb in a shed with a few thousand people on the same wavelength is alot different to eating a shit goog and watching Tiesto in a packed out stadium with 50 sniffer dogs out the front and a bunch of steroid freak muzzas wondering how easy it would be to rape your girlfriend.

I could really go on all night as I have had this conversation hundreds of times. All I can say is I have well and truly hang up my air maxes. You might see me at EPTAS but after that never again. Would much rather spin vinyl at home with good mates than have another terrible experience. Arm in Arm, I forget to mention, I would keep going to that but thats it.

This, this and this
BlueSteel +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

All I can say is listening to Oliver Lieb in a shed with a few thousand people on the same wavelength is alot different to eating a shit goog and watching Tiesto in a packed out stadium with 50 sniffer dogs out the front and a bunch of steroid freak muzzas wondering how easy it would be to rape your girlfriend.

Awesome.

Quote:

Would much rather spin vinyl at home with good mates...

Its' been like that for quite a long time now, always the No.1 option.
BlueSteel +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edstacee

I am just glad I started collecting records when I did.... Music is so throwaway because of the freedoms of MP3s and digi distribution, both a blessing and a curse..there are no anthems anymore though.

My feelings exactly. I love my vinyl collection.
BlueSteel +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I boycotted the first Two Tribes and went by myself to a bush doof that night. I missed out on seeing Der Dritte Raum who are one of my favourite acts of all time and I have never seen because I knew what was going on.

I have to admit it was an awesome night. Watching Der Dritte Raum play was great. Can't remember who was playing in the other half of the shed but I think there was Roger Sanchez and maybe Carl Cox? I definitely remember Dave Seaman as I think he played one of his best sets ever.
Djlenny +

punos

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I dont know if you are from or have been to Melbourne in the 90s but it was much different here before Future started putting on these mega parties. I know that Sydney was a big happy hardcore city in the 90s but we were big on acid, techno, acid-techno, trance, acid-trance, psy-trance, jungle, dnb, nrg, etc all under the one roof. I only ever went to one or two nights in Sydney during the 90s so it is hard for me to talk but it was different here back then. Words will never be able to describe it so I wont even try. All I can say is listening to Oliver Lieb in a shed with a few thousand people on the same wavelength is alot different to eating a shit goog and watching Tiesto in a packed out stadium with 50 sniffer dogs out the front and a bunch of steroid freak muzzas wondering how easy it would be to rape your girlfriend.

Sydders had that...physcosis parties....Ziggurat......Dome......definately well before happy hard rolled out the mat
Cha Cha Cha!!!
progdog +

PLUR Patrol CEO

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueSteel

P.S. No, im not gay.

The biggest difference I notice in today's techno/trance is the shift towards the minimal 'less is more' production. Tracks are less song based and the melodies just aren't as dynamic. Everything has been refined down too much. The kids these days are having a ball just like we were as they don't know what they were missing out on!

Re: raves not only has the warehouse been lost but no one does quality chill out rooms anymore (M.U.D used to have cushions and visuals and ambient music) They are so important to the vibe!

According to legend, the term PLUR was coined by the DJ Frankie Bones in response to a fight that broke out while he was mixing and he stopped the show to say, "If you don't start showing some peace, love, and unity, I'll break your fucking faces."
Msraver +

Chasing the sun...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I dont know if you are from or have been to Melbourne in the 90s but it was much different here before Future started putting on these mega parties. I know that Sydney was a big happy hardcore city in the 90s but we were big on acid, techno, acid-techno, trance, acid-trance, psy-trance, jungle, dnb, nrg, etc all under the one roof.

I'm Sydney based. I went to a big Earthcore at Mt Disappointment years ago and did one warehouse party in Melbourne years ago, down near the water. I can't remember the name of it but I think the word Dog was in there somewhere I remember it had a beach theme inside, they made a beach out of sand and had jellyfish hanging from the ceiling. I can't say I enjoyed the music much at either, have never been into psy, but I think I have a tiny idea of the scene as it was from those limited experiences.

Having said that, there was a LOT of acid in the music (and the ravers, lol) of the Sydney scene in the early 90's, we certainly weren't all about happy hard.
BlueSteel +

Times thanked
<
omg, the doggy still lives and man are you jaded as ever.

^5!
helloworld +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Hey mate, you do know dinosaurs died out as well right ?

The beginning of the end was Eternity in 95, even Aslan looked distressed for most of the night.

The people of ethnic background you refer to rocking up in suites with there hookers, all coked up.
Raves became a 'cash cow' long before then though, it's just that promoters didn't realise there place in the market until much later. You're pretty much right on the money and I don't know who you are but I am sure we nodded heads on occasion.

oh yeah, you were a good dancer,...not as good as me tho.

just sayin...
BOXMAKER +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by helloworld

oh yeah, you were a good dancer,...not as good as me tho.

just sayin...

ZyklonB v Helloworld at next Oldschool event ..!!!!!

+1
Circa 94...

Bring Back Speedball!
helloworld +

Times thanked
<
Im down will get out my m2o, renegade jacket and puma clydes

:rip:
Page 1 of 2

« Previous Thread Next Thread »