The Main Room

Oblivion

Tools
jarrardscott +

I start arguments then blame everyone else, and now I have this shitty My Little Pony icon

Times thanked
<
Thanked 5,000 Times in 2,101 Posts
Oblivion

Saw this on the weekend.

good movie, not amazing, def some cheesey typical lines.

Overall, clever story, could have been done a bit better though. Tom Cruises acting has gone mega downhill

every time he tries to do an impactual part of dialogue or passionate line etc he just comes off like he did in that hilarious scientology youtube video I actually laughed in the cinema BUT....

Visually the movie was amazing, was shot in 4K (imax) only, the cinematography was spectacular, the shots and sfx were amazing, the score, holy shit, so fucking good was done completely by M8.

The score was seriously fucking spectacular and made the movie from ok to great,
really really impactual, gave me the tingles.

I suggest seeing it in a big screen imax style cinema, or just anywhere with a big screen and good sound

it will not have anywhere near the impact it did on dvd in your loungeroom.

Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,640 Times in 1,436 Posts
What about if its an R5 copy?
jarrardscott +

I start arguments then blame everyone else, and now I have this shitty My Little Pony icon

Times thanked
<

I reckon see it at a cinema.
Underwater +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

it will not have anywhere near the impactual it did on dvd in your loungeroom.

Fixed.

p.s. will peep the score
David Lynch presents...
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
<
there's a score on soundcloud somewhere but scores are obviously much better when you're listening to it along with the movie its intended for
Jehovahs Fitness +

GANGNAM STYLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Times thanked
<
Thanked 5,621 Times in 2,333 Posts
Saw it. Terrible movie. 2/5 stars.

Spoiler:
If you've seen Moon (2009) then you already know the plot twist

The soundtrack WAS decent though.

Last edited by Jehovahs Fitness: 17-Apr-13 at 03:49pm

BigGroovyFcuker +

Gurnstroker

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,382 Times in 1,226 Posts
so i see you've all accepted impactual as a word then?

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonPrice View Post

ITM is, as far as I can see, the institute of trolls and memes. Alas and alack---it's time for my evening meal.

Infringing on copyrights since 1999

ITM 2012 NRL SC Champion
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
<
its worth it for the sound track and visuals imo
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigGroovyFcuker View Post

so i see you've all accepted impactual as a word then?

eh why not? they add words to the dictionary every year.

anyway.

best line from movie
Spoiler:
WHO THE HELL ARREEEEEEE YOUUUUU!!!

seriously lolled
Jehovahs Fitness +

Times thanked
<
I couldn't take Tom Cruise seriously at all. Not one bit. Even Morgan Freeman felt more like "Hi, I'm not an actual character, I'm just Morgan Freeman". It's like they don't even act anymore, they just be themselves.

The visuals were too crisp and clean as well. Hell there was a scene where Tom Cruise had perfect hair, a slightly scuffled uniform and a single cut on his nose and cheek and Morgan Freeman goes "OH BOY YOU LOOK LIKE SHIT"... Errr?
Underwater +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<

Quote:

there's a score on soundcloud somewhere but scores are obviously much better when you're listening to it along with the movie its intended for

Not necessarily... good score soundtracks often come to life when played in isolation. Knowing M83's sorta sound (Brian Eno on amphetamines), I'm sure it's a very heavy, dense and melodic score with not a whole lot of subtlety. In that case, yeah it's probably most impactual raping ears in big fuck-off cinema multiplexes
David Lynch presents...
I am the best +

SPLASH!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jehovahs Fitness View Post

If you've seen Moon (2009) then you already know the plot twist.

I like the part where you ruined the whole movie for people who have seen Moon
JVP $$Robotocorps
what more do you want in a line-up ?
Eric Prydz parachuting naked from a plane followed by White Michael Jackson Vs Black Michael Jackson soundtracked by Nirvana feat The Beatles and Wolverine? even then I don't think that would be appreciated...
Jehovahs Fitness +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am the best View Post

I like the part where you ruined the whole movie for people who have seen Moon

Hey guess what, the movie was already fucking ruined when they put Tom Cruise in it.

Also the trailer gives it away.

Also anyone who watches and enjoys Moon is already too good for this movie. Oblivion insults the intelligence of everybody watching it.
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
<
dude just go back and spoiler it instead of getting defensive
Jehovahs Fitness +

Times thanked
<
NO. I HATE OBLIVION. HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT.

... ok.
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
<
over reaction much.
Jehovahs Fitness +

Times thanked
<
You're not picking up on the sarcasm.
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
<
whats that?
Jehovahs Fitness +

Times thanked
<
It's this: OBLIVIOUS IS THE GREATEST MOVIE TO EVER COME OUT THISY EAR EVERY SINGLE ACTOR>>> JUST FANTASTIC SO GRITTY AND COOL FUCKIN STORYLINE MAN SO FUCKIN GOoD TOM CRUISE 4 OSCAR WLL DONE REALLY SYMPATHISED WITH CHARACTERS DEEP CHARACTYERS TOO

Spoiler:
BECAUSE
FOR
SOME
REASON
TOM
CRUISE
INSTANTLY FALLS OUT OF LOVE WITH THE WOMAN HE'S BANGING
AND THEN
FALLS IN LOVE WITH HIS "ACTUAL" WIFE
LIKE HE WAS CHANGING FUCKING SOCKS OR SOME SHIT
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
<
i dont get it
Underwater +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
It's a bit disappointing that Tom seems to be churning out a series of well-produced by rather vacuous blockbusters in recent years (and a look on imdb points to more of the same into the future). I personally view him as one of the finest actors of his generation, right up there with Sean Penn. If only he didn't have the burden of pumping big $$$ into his Scientology brethren, perhaps we would get to see him in some more inspired acting roles.
David Lynch presents...
IHAVENEWLEGS +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 6,062 Times in 3,521 Posts
Tom Cruise aint no Sean Penn.
daveyjaye +

has got more flavour than a packet of macaroni

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,493 Times in 2,394 Posts
saw it on the weekend at a fancy pants big cinema.

it was ok. had such low expectations though

2.5 / 5 for me.
Dave Juric Live Sets and Promo Mixes

Gigs

Dec 20th - Mahala & Stable - Alexkid - Railway
Dec 27th - Darkbeat & Stable - DJ T - Railway
Dec 28th - DARKBEAT - STANTON WARRIORS & A SKILLZ - Railway
Dec 31st - Mahala - PEPPERPOT - NYE - Railway
Jan 1st - CARL COX - SHED 9
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
<
fuck i thought my review was vague
BigGroovyFcuker +

Gurnstroker

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,382 Times in 1,226 Posts

Quote:

eh why not? they add words to the dictionary every year

lolwhut

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonPrice View Post

ITM is, as far as I can see, the institute of trolls and memes. Alas and alack---it's time for my evening meal.

Infringing on copyrights since 1999

ITM 2012 NRL SC Champion
ABitPatchy +

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,550 Times in 1,587 Posts
I hate Tom Cruse and I really, really liked this.

The soundtrack and visuals were absolutely outstanding. It's probably one of the most authentic looking (and sounding) sci fi films that I have ever seen.

Yes, it steals plot points from films like Moon and Independence Day... but those plot points were also the coolest parts of those respective films so who cares? It had a better then average story compared to most big budget sci fi films I've seen over the last few years.

The redhead was absolutely stunning as well.

Olga Kantacttosaveherself was horrible though, she brought down every scene she was in.

'Sally' was creepy as hell at the end.

Also bought the soundtrack on vinyl, it was that good.

7.5/10
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
<
ahh so you see the movie as i did.

i felt the plot was overall lacking but still thought it was better than the majority of sci fi clicks these days
Griggle +

If it is prophylactic and emphatically didactic, then it's not tactic."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,726 Times in 830 Posts

Quote:

ahh so you see the movie as i did.

i felt the plot was overall lacking but still thought it was better than the majority of sci fi clicks these days

That's because most sci-fi that makes it to movie form is Space-Fantasy not sci-fi.*Occasionally a movie like Solaris makes it through past the keeper, but typically it's just swords and sorcery in space. As a result most sci-fi in movies follows generic fantasy tropes which are more about escapism than any thought about the application of science on a scale we can't currently use it.

I never expect much from Hollywood sci-fi. A movie adaption of a novel like Chasm City by Allistair Reynolds would be amaze-balls, but the likelihood of a Hollywood studio ever making a movie with 3 different sections of the stories timeline being told concurrently is slim to none as they wouldn't expect most of their audience to be able to follow it.
Broadband speeds will always be lower under a Coalition Government.
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
<
tl;dr
Hdb2 +

Sup.

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,447 Times in 1,212 Posts
I have been keen to check this out, as a bit of a fun movie. Had no idea M83 did the score for it, I am now ten times more excited for the movie.

Quote:

Not srs?! Some of my favourite and most inspiring albums are soundtracks to films. Some I havent even seen the movie either! Educate yoself, yo.

I watched Hanna when I was away on holiday in the USA, had never heard of the movie. Loved the soundtrack, googled it, now listen to it constantly - turns out it was done by the Chemical Brothers and IMO one of their best pieces of work for a while.

If you have listened to Apparat's new album ( if not -listen to it! ), then that is a soundtrack for a play. Never seen/or heard of the play but its an epic album .

Last edited by Hdb2: 18-Apr-13 at 03:46pm

Griggle +

If it is prophylactic and emphatically didactic, then it's not tactic."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,726 Times in 830 Posts
Space Fantasy isn't meant to make you think.

It's about explosions, robots and pewpewpew.
Broadband speeds will always be lower under a Coalition Government.
Underwater +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by IHAVENEWLEGS View Post

Tom Cruise aint no Sean Penn.

He sure ain't, but he's shown glimpses of some serious emotional sincerity in films like 'Born on the Fourth of July', 'Vanilla Sky' and 'The Last Samurai'. When he is playing these types of roles, he is pretty breathtaking IMHO.
David Lynch presents...
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
<
I really liked the last samurai.

but honestly, he was terrible in this

he should actually try to stick to comedy, he was good in tropic thunder.
Kill Whitey +

Times thanked
<
Saw it. Liked it... enough.

The story is flat and unengaging, and thus the so called twist in the last third fails to have any impact whatsoever. The only decent performance comes from the actress playing Victoria... but some of the cinematography and art direction in this movie is pretty spot on.

Its by no means consistently great with the visuals, but is mostly good and certainly has a few A+++ moments, and that was my primary interest in the movie anyway.
SkinDeep +

Bonafide

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Underwater View Post

He sure ain't, but he's shown glimpses of some serious emotional sincerity in films like 'Born on the Fourth of July', 'Vanilla Sky' and 'The Last Samurai'. When he is playing these types of roles, he is pretty breathtaking IMHO.

Not sure if serious!

Tom Cruise is as wooden as they come IMHO, he's a blockbuster module, not an actor. Please insert one Tom Cruise for XXX ticket sales. Thank you, your transaction is complete. He always has that plastic-ass determined look on his face. Cruise ... Tom Cruise ... puh-lease.

His finest work was Top Gun, he got to play himself and nailed the shit out of it. That's right Iceman, I am dangerous! The Last Samurai was fun, but it's still a shit, formulaic movie with just the right amount of ooooh sympathy, ooooh ninjas vs samurais, ooooh bittersweet ending.

Anyway, looking forward to Oblivion. Got my popcorn and everything.
there must be some mistake I didn't mean to let them take away my soul am I too old is it too late

my soundcloud my last.fm
Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinDeep View Post

Not sure if serious!

Tom Cruise is as wooden as they come IMHO, he's a blockbuster module, not an actor. Please insert one Tom Cruise for XXX ticket sales. Thank you, your transaction is complete. He always has that plastic-ass determined look on his face. Cruise ... Tom Cruise ... puh-lease.

His finest work was Top Gun, he got to play himself and nailed the shit out of it. That's right Iceman, I am dangerous! The Last Samurai was fun, but it's still a shit, formulaic movie with just the right amount of ooooh sympathy, ooooh ninjas vs samurais, ooooh bittersweet ending.

Anyway, looking forward to Oblivion. Got my popcorn and everything.

I get the feeling like you hit on Tom Cruise and he turned you down...
Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Times thanked
<
This is a pretty sweet article on Tom Cruise.

http://www.pajiba.com/box_office_rou...-chemistry.php

The number one film at the box-office this weekend was Tom Cruise’s Oblivion, which racked up $38 million and represents yet another comeback for the up-and-down career of Tom Cruise. It’s Cruise’s fifth best opening overall, and the best opening for a non-sequel that he’s had since War of the Worlds in 2005. Like Dan, I enjoyed Oblivion despite the fact that it was rooted in familiar genre tropes.
My complaint with Oblivion, like with most Tom Cruise films, is his extraordinary lack of chemistry with his romantic leads. In fact, I’ve began to notice something of a pattern in the way that Cruise selects his projects: Even when there is a romantic couple, it always plays second to the main plotline. Moreover, Cruise has a tendency — Cameron Diaz, aside — to select romantic counterparts who appeal to a certain demo rather than based on their onscreen chemistry. Cruise is still a bigger star internationally, which would explain the list of European ladies who he cast opposite him: Rosamund Pike, Penelope Cruz, Olga Kurylenko, Andrea Riseborough, Emmanuelle Beart, and Samantha Morton. His leading ladies seem more like Vice Presidential nominees, selected to win over a state, than people with whom he connects chemically.
That may be because Cruise has realized that he’s incapable of onscreen chemistry with any woman. That’s not a statement on his sexuality (although, you may infer that); it’s more, as Grantland noted in their review, that “it’s hard not to love a man who loves us as much as Cruise does. He just has no chemistry with anyone else.” Cruise’s romantic interests are subjugated, so as not to take the focus away from him. Tom Cruise stars in Tom Cruise movies, not Tom Cruise and Angelina Jolie or Julia Roberts or Kate Hudson movies. Formidable A-listers have a diminishing effect the Cruiseness of his films.
That’s not necessarily a terrible thing; the last thing we need is another generic romantic comedy, and Cruise is one of the few A-listers who still tries to movies that aren’t based on already hugely popular properties (the Mission Impossible movies and The Color of Money are the only sequels that Cruise has made in his 30 year career). Nevertheless, Cruise makes for a dreadful romantic lead, including one of his best movies, Jerry Maguire, a romantic comedy where all of the chemistry was between Cruise and Cuba Gooding, Jr., and Cruise and the kid, Jonathan Lipnicki.
Jehovahs Fitness +

Times thanked
<
Can we PLEASE start putting a rest to the whole "Jet/Ship flying into a tight gap" trope for life please?
Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Times thanked
<
...you haven't seen the new Star Trek trailer...?
For more information on this post, visit kotaku.com.au/tags/grand-theft-auto-v/
JulesPLees +

Just about sick of it. Totes.

Times thanked
<
liked the aesthetics.

morgan freeman meh
tom cruise should have been given the boot for jaime lanister - would have made everything so fresher as him as the lead.

yes very very derivative.

still not a total washout. 6/10
Something Coming.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »