Melbourne

Maitreya Festival 2016 [ * 10th Anniversary * ]

Tools
darkthumpers +

Times thanked
<
JOESKI- would not have picked that one for Maitreya.....in the bush will be interesting....but he is insanely good!!

And another dose of EMOK!! Yes please!!
qoop +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,561 Times in 928 Posts
that's a very good & varied line-up and enough to push ticket sales higher, in the last 2 weeks.

it would be great to hear some old Antix and Cosmosis, there.

Spoiler:

in alphabetical order!

ACE VENTURA (ISR)
ADANA TWINS (GER)
ALGIE HIP HOP (AUS)
AMAMI (USA)
ANTIX-FIORD (NZL)
ARTELLIGENT (SA)
AUDIOJACK (UK)
AUMA (AUS)
AUSTERO (AUS)
BE SVENDSEN (DEN)
BEAT BIZARRE (DEN)
BEAT FATIGUE (NED)
BOOM SCHANKAR (GER)
BRAINIAC (GER)
BROKEN TOY (SA)
CAPITAL MONKEY (BRA)
CAPTAIN FLATCAP (UK)
CAPTAIN HOOK (ISR)
CHESHIRE (AUS)
CHICKEN BROTHERS (UK)
CIRCUIT BENT (AUS)
COSMOSIS (UK)
D- ADDICTION (ISR)
DARK NEBULA (AUS)
DESSERT DWELLERS (USA)
DEUTRONIUM (AUS)
DIGICULT (BEL)
DM TWINS (AUS)
DUB FX (AUS)
EASY RIDERS (ISR)
EAT STATIC (UK)
EDU IMBERNON (SPA)
EMOK (DEN)
FREQ (AUS)
GANGA GIRI (AUS)
GLO (NED)
GMS (NED)
HEADROOM (SA)
HYPNAGOG (AUS)
HYPNOTECH (USA)
IMPERFECT CIRCLE (AUS)
INVISIBLE REALITY (ISR)
ISAAC CHAMBERS (AUS)
JAMES COPELAND (SA)
JOESKI (USA)
KALYA SCINTILLA (AUS)
KHEN (ISR)
KOLOMBO (BEL)
LIQUID HOOK (ISR)
LIQUID SOUL (ISR)
LYKTUM (SER)
MAD ZACH (USA)
MARK J (AUS)
MERKABA (AUS)
MORTEN GRANAU (DEN)
MR ROGERS (AUS)
NICO STOJAN (GER)
OKULI (AUS)
ONE MAN ORCHESTRA (DEN)
OUTSIDERS (ROM)
PIXEL (ISR)
RIKTAM BANSI (SPA)
RITMO (ISR)
ROBERT BABICZ (GER)
ROCKY (ISR)
SEBASTIAN LEGER (FRA)
SEKKT (AUS)
SIDE EFFECTS (ISR)
SIDEFORM (SER)
SKI TOUR (AUS)
SMILK (AUS)
SORCERESS (AUS)
STAUNCH (AUS)
STEPH YEAH & AUGMENTED (AUS)
SYMBOLIC (ISR)
TERRAFRACTYL (AUS)
THAD LESTER (AUS)
THE CHIEF(AUS)
THOMAS SCHUMACHER (GER)
TMT (USA)
TOM COSM vs ZAFTIG (AUS)
TOULOUSE (AUS)
TRICKBOX (AUS)
UNSEEN DIMENSIONS (AUS)
VERTICAL MODE (ISR)
WASABI + ELF TRANZPORTER (AUS)
WHITEBEAR (AUS)
YOUNG KIM (KOR)
ZEN MECHANICS (NED)
ZENTURA (ISR-NED)
these words fill this space
Adzy_86 +

mad.

Times thanked
<
Pretty happy with that lineup.

@Mongoose: I absolutely love whitebear and desert dwellers for the kind of bass music they play, that groovy, deep, psychedelic, atmospheric, bass heavy dubby shit is fantastic.

Listen to these see what I mean peeps if you haven't heard before, love these two sets!:

https://soundcloud.com/desertdweller.../sets/psychill

https://soundcloud.com/hwitebear/whi.../sets/psychill
http://www.last.fm/user/Adzy_86

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raja Ram

Love is the key philosophy. The love of great red wine from Bordeaux or Burgundy. The love of weird and wonderful sounds – high weirdness, weird highness, the cave man to the rave man, eternal celestial musicians hanging around whistling an old tune.

MongooseFiend +

Times thanked
<
Whitebear is the man. What a weapon.
MongooseFiend +

Times thanked
<
Also good to see Smilk playing a big party. Well deserved based on his sets I've seen.
fripper +

Times thanked
<
Yeah smilk is sick, really nice futuristic sound. Really cool dude as well
PSYz +

Times thanked
<
Hard to say which names leaked out vs the full line up but: very excited to say the least.

-Never expected to see Ace Ventura and Emok twice in a summer.
-Fiord/Antix - havnt heard him play alot of his own stuff in the past but track selection is right on.
-Be Svesden - Only saw a breif moment of at rianbow, very keen to see more of that crazy country, prog, psy sound.
-Captain Hook - will be huge on main stage.
-Hypongog / Terafractyl - their latest album has been in the car of a year, great full on psy.
-Morten Granau - its a bit cheesy prog psy but still fun on a sunny monday.
-Rocky - havnt seen play in a couple of years and his sound seem to have really developed.
-Whitebear - only discovered in the last 6 months, should be a journey on the f1s.

I saw a mention of a final artist to be announced, any ideas?
Aydo +

play from your fucking heart

Times thanked
<
my god that lineup is so good. time to start loading up on sleep now.
MongooseFiend +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSYz View Post

I saw a mention of a final artist to be announced, any ideas?

Zyce announced. Even more prog psy
Adzy_86 +

mad.

Times thanked
<
So much prog psy. Guess it's what the kids love these days.

Quote:

Love is the key philosophy. The love of great red wine from Bordeaux or Burgundy. The love of weird and wonderful sounds – high weirdness, weird highness, the cave man to the rave man, eternal celestial musicians hanging around whistling an old tune.

fripper +

Times thanked
<
Ok this is now overkill. Please book a few different acts maitreya instead of trying to get every prog psy artist in victoria at the same time.

Some more full on, psybreaks or darker prog at least to cut through it all haha. I feel sunday and monday are gonna be monotonous on the main otherwise
emertons_madskill +

Times thanked
<
is the secret guest Guy J considering he is touring the same weekend?
PSYz +

Times thanked
<
From the Councils FB page:

Maitreya Update.
VCAT this morning upheld Council’s position in proceedings in relation to the proposed staging of the Maitreya Music and Arts Festival at Wooroonook Lakes. VCAT dismissed the promoter’s attempt to argue a technicality in regard to how the festival had been categorised in the planning permit. The lack of consent to use the land from Parks Victoria as well as Council was also considered
This finding means a Cultural Heritage Management Plan will be needed in line with Council’s previous decision. The tribunal noted one could not be provided in time for the staging of this year’s event and that an urgent hearing would be futile. The Maitreya Music and Arts Festival cannot go ahead on the forthcoming long weekend.
Council had repeatedly requested the promoter to provide the Plan but they have continually refused to do so.

Council will be providing further updates
MongooseFiend +

Times thanked
<
... Bugger
Adzy_86 +

mad.

Times thanked
<
Yeah I read that too, seems no official response from Maitreya yet regarding what is happening (unless I missed it somewhere).

I'm predicting they'll still go ahead there seeing as they've been setting up for the last week or two and deal with lawsuits/fines etc. afterwards. Surely that will be cheaper for them than cancelling it completely and going bankrupt because of lost costs (say goodbye to maitreya then). Not to mention it will be better for the small local business that might also go bankrupt (or at least really struggle financially) if Maitreya doesn't run.

Quote:

MongooseFiend +

Times thanked
<
They surely have a backup site.

It's too big now to just go renegade and face the consequences. They'd get absolutely slammed with fines, arrests, etc, and the party wouldn't last 2 full days.
Anja +

BMX & 303

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by MongooseFiend View Post

They surely have a backup site.

It's too big now to just go renegade and face the consequences. They'd get absolutely slammed with fines, arrests, etc, and the party wouldn't last 2 full days.

^^ this

It'll probably end up back at Carisbrook race course.
Adzy_86 +

mad.

Times thanked
<
Surely they don't have enough time to pack down what has been set up at the site, move it all elsewhere and re-set up stuff at another site??

Quote:

Adzy_86 +

mad.

Times thanked
<
Whatever ends up happening I fear it's going to be sub-par. I guess we'll see. I wonder if they will offer ticket refunds at all? At this stage I'm almost ready to cut my losses and save they money I would spend over that weekend for wedding/honeymoon mid year.

Quote:

Justsaymaybe +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adzy_86 View Post

Whatever ends up happening I fear it's going to be sub-par. I guess we'll see. I wonder if they will offer ticket refunds at all? At this stage I'm almost ready to cut my losses and save they money I would spend over that weekend for wedding/honeymoon mid year.

Yes and wouldn't all the same permits be required so therefore the location is irrelevant? Particularly the cultural heritage permit or does that not matter if it's at a different venue?

It's hard to know who to trust on this one. Maitreya may have been lazy with the cultural heritage permit but I know for a fact they set up their cultural space months ago and have been working with various Aboriginal communities and had a number of workshops, talks and activities that went above and beyond what RS normally does.
PSYz +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by MongooseFiend View Post

Who says 12k people wont all decide to have a weekend camping at Wooroonook? Can see it now, everyone just waiting for a m8.

All conjecture, but I had heard somewhere that last year was listed as an event of 5000 on the permit application, obviously was a couple of extra friendly faces and this might have ruffled the councils feathers. Surely they didnt try to swing that again? Maybe it was something as simple as a miss classification, music vs arts festival, of the event and the council want to make sure their squeaky clean should the media bang on their door after 200 are done on the road out.

Hopefully they step up, dust themselves off and get on with throwing a party. Someone is going to have to pop up soon and make a statement, the wolves are circling on social media.
Weinertron +

random shoutbox generator

Times thanked
<
^ lol my mate just got banned from Maitreya for life because she had been slagging them off on social media

'swhat ya get
Adzy_86 +

mad.

Times thanked
<
lol really? That's pretty harsh. Although not sure how they would enforce 'banning' someone, couldn't one of her mates just buy a ticket and she comes along? They only check tickets at the gate, not IDs as well don't they?

Quote:

Weinertron +

random shoutbox generator

Times thanked
<
That was the argument she made in response. An unenforceable and hilariously over the top threat
liberabit +

One of these days you'll wake up dead

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,923 Posts
sorry guys, start making back up plans

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/...val-bid-fails/
This is no love song and it serves no use, but if you want to sing along to some verbal abuse
It might make you feel better and it's good for the soul, take four letters and let's rock n roll
Justsaymaybe +

Times thanked
<
They're clearly stalling while looking for a back up site. It ain't over yet.
Velociravetor +

Open the door, get on the floor, everybody do the dinosaur!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

If they pull off a miracle and secure another venue, it won't be sub-par. Aesthetically, it may not be pleasing on the eye but let's face it Maitreya is about the community and hopefully they will embrace it for what it is and what they have achieved over the past 10 years! The people make this festival.

C'mon universe... do your thing!

Quote:

"There is nothing more important on the planet Earth, at this moment, than a good party. Why? 'Cause we have fun. We meet our friends. We fall in love, we fall out of love. We find ourselves. We develop, we evolve, we dissolve, we merge and we "lyserge." That's about it." - Raja Ram

cookieFp +

rockin'

Times thanked
<
Best Maitreya ever was when everything was either broken or under water so not too fussed as long as all the DJs are still playing.
daveyjaye +

has got more flavour than a packet of macaroni

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,493 Times in 2,394 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by emertons_madskill View Post

is the secret guest Guy J considering he is touring the same weekend?

nope
Dave Juric Live Sets and Promo Mixes

Gigs

Dec 20th - Mahala & Stable - Alexkid - Railway
Dec 27th - Darkbeat & Stable - DJ T - Railway
Dec 28th - DARKBEAT - STANTON WARRIORS & A SKILLZ - Railway
Dec 31st - Mahala - PEPPERPOT - NYE - Railway
Jan 1st - CARL COX - SHED 9
Adzy_86 +

mad.

Times thanked
<
So I just spoke to someone who has some inside information, this is what he said:

"They've gone too far with the set up at the lake to think about moving elsewhere, or cancelling. Seems they are pushing ahead and running it there despite the lack of obtaining the permit/approval to run from the council. I guess they figure the lawsuits or fines will be cheaper than cancelling, and because it is technically going ahead still they dont have to refund tickets. Problem with this is surely the cops will jump on shutting it down before the 2nd day, which means the party will be cut well and truly short. Also, the main/head organiser dude has turned off his phone and is uncontactable."

The way I see it Maitreya is screwed either way, this may spell the end for what was a pretty awesome festival. And knowing this I'm not sure I want to waste my time with trying to go to Maitreya, considering trying to cut my losses and sell my ticket and save the money... I wouldn't want to miss the party if it goes ahead, but will be thoroughly disappointed if it gets shut down because its running illegally, I will definitely want my ticket money back, but that might be hard to push for... Thoughts?

Quote:

fripper +

Times thanked
<
^ i can't believe that they are still going to go ahead and continue setting up the stages, its pure stupidity, it wont get shut down - the party wont even start lol, pure and simple. they wont let people into the site and take the organisers into custody.

I dunno what to do either adzy. I am just gonna keep my ticket though, i would feel bad selling it to another poor soul who will just have to try and get the money back if it doesnt go ahead.
Justsaymaybe +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

So I just spoke to someone who has some inside information, this is what he said:

"They've gone too far with the set up at the lake to think about moving elsewhere, or cancelling. Seems they are pushing ahead and running it there despite the lack of obtaining the permit/approval to run from the council. I guess they figure the lawsuits or fines will be cheaper than cancelling, and because it is technically going ahead still they dont have to refund tickets. Problem with this is surely the cops will jump on shutting it down before the 2nd day, which means the party will be cut well and truly short. Also, the main/head organiser dude has turned off his phone and is uncontactable."

The way I see it Maitreya is screwed either way, this may spell the end for what was a pretty awesome festival. And knowing this I'm not sure I want to waste my time with trying to go to Maitreya, considering trying to cut my losses and sell my ticket and save the money... I wouldn't want to miss the party if it goes ahead, but will be thoroughly disappointed if it gets shut down because its running illegally, I will definitely want my ticket money back, but that might be hard to push for... Thoughts?

I can back this up, have heard the same thing from someone working there who said they are continuing to set it up at the site. They haven't been told what the strategy from here is so it does appear to be a high risk. I'm still planning on going at this stage but my optimism for a phenomenal weekend has seriously declined.
The longer the organisers don't let the ticketholders know what's going on the more we take the Council's side.
MongooseFiend +

Times thanked
<
... Shit.
Starting to wonder if I fancy the drive down only to drive back on Sunday.

They've clearly decided that the costs of fines, etc, outweigh the catastrophe that would be mass refunds.
(Although if they got shut down on day 2 wouldn't people be able to sue them?)

It will be a phenomenal weekend if it lasts. Not sure I'm too confident of that though... :/

Last edited by MongooseFiend: 02-Mar-16 at 11:39am

Velociravetor +

Times thanked
<
VCAT summary: here's hoping all the chinese whispers stop, so tired of hearing them
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/cases/v.../2016/289.html

Quote:

"There is nothing more important on the planet Earth, at this moment, than a good party. Why? 'Cause we have fun. We meet our friends. We fall in love, we fall out of love. We find ourselves. We develop, we evolve, we dissolve, we merge and we "lyserge." That's about it." - Raja Ram

slattikarma +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weinertron View Post

^ lol my mate just got banned from Maitreya for life because she had been slagging them off on social media

'swhat ya get

Sounds more like earthcore's way of doing business...
slattikarma +

Times thanked
<
I would imagine there to be far greater consequences than 'just fines' if they proceed without approval, otherwise, it would set a pretty crazy loop-hole for all future events. Fingers crossed they can deal their way out ala Rainbow...
silverspoon +

new and improved!

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,883 Times in 868 Posts
Facebook post doing the rounds from some guy on site saying it's on at the lake.

Might be time to sell my ticket to some tripper.
Hey hey, you can change this shit again. Only a couple of years late.
shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by slattikarma View Post

I would imagine there to be far greater consequences than 'just fines' if they proceed without approval, otherwise, it would set a pretty crazy loop-hole for all future events. Fingers crossed they can deal their way out ala Rainbow...

They'd pretty much be going in with no insurance either that would mean.

If someone got hurt/OD'd etc they'd be facing a lot worse consequences than a fine.

Surely they wouldn't be stupid enough to try hold it there still. It wouldn't even last an hour

http://soundcloud.com/mmmbutch/
MongooseFiend +

Times thanked
<
They're either absolute loons or bribing a whole lot of councillors.

Messy either way :/
Such a pity after they reinvested so much money in beefing up the lineup
Torsten +

Times thanked
<
I guess we see how the further hearing goes tmrw for a final legal decision
Adzy_86 +

mad.

Times thanked
<
I think regardless of if they cancel it (they won't) or continue to run it at the lake illegally (which seems like they are) and deal with the repercussions of that they might be crippled financially and we can say goodbye to Maitreya. And even if they somehow aren’t, they will lose so much respect and following that I’m not sure punters or DJs or store holders would trust to get on board again for next year. Doesn't matter who's fault it is that this has happened its really screwed them.

I just wish they would make an official announcement to put us at ease and to assure us it's going ahead and won't be shut down (which I guess they can't guarantee if they don't have proper approval to go ahead, hence the lack of communication). I don't really want to go if its going to be shut down, with 10,000 angry/upset punters things could potentially get ugly.

I am still holding faith that they'll somehow get the go ahead approval from the proper authorities, won't 100% make up my mind whether I go or not till next week, also depends a lot on what my friends are doing too.

Quote:

Velociravetor +

Times thanked
<
where you getting 10000 punters, they've only sold 6000 tickets

Quote:

Torsten +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velociravetor View Post

where you getting 10000 punters, they've only sold 6000 tickets

4000 fence jumpers
MongooseFiend +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torsten View Post

I guess we see how the further hearing goes tmrw for a final legal decision

There is none. That hearing did not proceed.
Torsten +

Times thanked
<
Ah. I probably should have the read the doc properly.
Adzy_86 +

mad.

Times thanked
<
10,000 was just an estimate including punters and staff, DJs etc.

Anyway I guess this settles it:

Maitreya Festival: Update 3 March 2016

The past few weeks have seen many ideas and hopes around the Maitreya Festival placed in the guise of facts. This is understandable given the way the hopes and ambitions of many in the Charlton community have been raised by the promoter of the Festival. Unfortunately, the promoter seems to have focussed on raising hopes instead of undertaking the basic work needed to be done by any promoter to provide a safe and successful event.

Council refused to give consent for the Festival at Wooroonook Lakes and passed a Notice to Refuse a Planning Permit for the Festival at its meeting on 10 February 2016. This was a unanimous decision of the Council acting on the professional advice of staff. It immediately informed all media outlets that the Festival would not be able to go ahead because of the lack of this permit. This circumstance remains unchanged.

Council did not want to make this decision and had worked closely with the promoter for more than 9 months to get the Festival up and going. The Charlton community and festival goers have been badly let down by the developer which has had plenty of time and information about what risks it needed to address and how it should do so. Council believes that any competent promoter would have been able to address these risks in a much shorter time.

The promoter is now using the hopes and needs of our community to wedge Council and push for the Festival to go ahead without the necessary protections for the community, festival goers or the Wooroonook Lakes. Proceeding without these protections exposes all of us to unacceptable risks and Council would not be doing its duty to the community to allow this to occur.

The promoter took Council to VCAT to appeal the planning permit decision. Council used the same lawyer it has used for planning matters for several years to defend its decision at VCAT and the decision was not overturned, i.e. the Notice to Refuse stands. VCAT did not direct a compulsory conference (mediation) to occur.

Council has met with the promoter’s legal team a number of times, even in the past week, to find a way forward for the event and the Charlton and district community. While Council has always sought a solution, the reality is that there is no way the necessary work can be done in time to manage the risks of holding the Festival on the long weekend.

Council is going to VCAT on Friday to obtain enforcement orders to prevent the promoter continuing its illegal works at the Lakes, to require it to stop selling tickets to unsuspecting customers and to place notices on its website and social media to ensure people know the event has been cancelled. The hearing is also likely to consider costs.

The promoter has been talking about using Section 62.03 of the Planning Act to enable Council to allow the Festival to go ahead. This is a clause that is used for small scale community events, e.g. Australia day celebrations, not commercial events. Even if Council used this clause in such an unusual way, it would still require the risk management work to be undertaken by the promoter and there is so much work outstanding in this regard that it would not be possible for the promoter to do this in time. As previously mentioned, Council has a duty for the safety of its community, staff, festival patrons and the Wooroonook Lakes and it would not proceed without this necessary work.

It should also be noted that all festivals, e.g. Golden Plains, Falls Festival, Meredith, require a planning permit and have not gone through the 62.03 Clause. Events like these also need to manage high levels of risk, consultation with neighbouring landowners and consideration of objections.

An issue that has been raised with Council is the likelihood of the promoter holding the Festival illegally. This would indeed be shocking as it would expose all those attending to major risks. Professional festival staff would surely not risk their future employment by doing this and without those staff it is hard to see how the event could occur. Also, insurance normally does not cover illegal events and any incidents would expose all attending and the promoter directly to claims.

Council will provide further updates.

http://www.buloke.vic.gov.au/news-and-consultation

Quote:

Adzy_86 +

mad.

Times thanked
<
Final nail in the coffin?

Quote:

silverspoon +

new and improved!

Times thanked
<
Seems like it.
silverspoon +

new and improved!

Times thanked
<
Some of the comments on the Facebook page are hilarious.

Like the organisers aren't saying anything because there is a gag order.
shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverspoon View Post

Some of the comments on the Facebook page are hilarious.

Like the organisers aren't saying anything because there is a gag order.

I like all the people trying to sell tickets. You'd be a brave soul to buy one of those.

http://soundcloud.com/mmmbutch/

« Previous Thread Next Thread »