Swimming

Tools
Peppy +

Rawr

Times thanked
<
Swimming
Hi All,

I am thinking about starting to start swimming every morning I want to do it for 2 reasons.

*I want to tone up, not necessarily bulk up even though I am skinny more just have a little bit of a muscle - specially around the stomach area.
*Need to do some sport as I can't sleep at the moment - doctors orders.

Question is I know that swimming isn't as targeted as going to the gym or anything but is it possible to tone up a little bit?

I have had mixed responses on the net thought I'd drop it to you guys

CHEERS!
JustinJ +

It was a good speech. Didn't want to interrupt.

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,867 Posts
You won't get much muscle definition from just swimming, especially if you're skinny.

If you want some muscles, you'll need to get into weight training plus eat healthy and a lot in order to get those muscles. You won't accidently bulk up - that takes years.

Read Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe, and apply. While you're reading - keep up with the swimming and maybe add running
Peppy +

Rawr

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinJ View Post

You won't get much muscle definition from just swimming, especially if you're skinny.

If you want some muscles, you'll need to get into weight training plus eat healthy and a lot in order to get those muscles. You won't accidently bulk up - that takes years.

Read Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe, and apply. While you're reading - keep up with the swimming and maybe add running

Alright - just keep in mind that I am not really looking to bulk up heaps just a bit. Thanks Justin!
JustinJ +

Times thanked
<
As I've said, and someone else said it to me when I said the same thing (I don't want to bulk up heaps), you don't accidently get huge overnight.

Have a look in here: http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...d.php?t=287207 for some really good links.

It'll take some time to do a little bit of research, but if you're serious about this it's well worth it and a must. More importantly, stick with it - it may look daunting at the beginning especially with fixing your diet, but you'll get used to it and becomes easier to follow.
tapout +

tapout 1, utes 0.

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,335 Times in 1,469 Posts
Swimmers don't look like swimmers because they swim, they look like swimmers because they are monsters in the gym who are also cut because of the ridiculous amount of cardio they do. If you want look like a swimmer, bench, squat, chinups and rows should be your staple, if all you are doing is swimming you'll end up looking like a slightly less skinny version of yourself.
Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence
Peppy +

Rawr

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by tapout View Post

Swimmers don't look like swimmers because they swim, they look like swimmers because they are monsters in the gym who are also cut because of the ridiculous amount of cardio they do. If you want look like a swimmer, bench, squat, chinups and rows should be your staple, if all you are doing is swimming you'll end up looking like a slightly less skinny version of yourself.

bingo kk mastering bent over rows was horrible for me but I suppose I should get back at it now.
mischa21 +

yessum

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,083 Posts
agree with Tapout. and swimming isn't known for being a big weight shifter either.
it's a great sport to do, and a great supplement to a training regime with weights and some impact cardio like running.
Fledz +

Royal Astrological Metaphysician

Times thanked
<
Thanked 6,163 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by tapout View Post

That's not entirely true. It's difficult to get such an expansion of your lungs and a good even increase in muscle/chest size with gym alone. There's tonnes of people that I know who have never stepped foot in a gym but swam all their lives and their physique is fantastic.

That v-shape doesn't happen because they just spend hours in a gym.

I say go for it, but also do the regular weights sessions as people suggest and watch your diet. I love swimming, such an awesome and relatively relaxing workout. As Misch says, it's a great supplemental workout to everything else.

EDIT - Every morning is probably a little bit overkill. Go for a run or something a few days instead.

Last edited by Fledz: 12-Sep-12 at 02:14pm

JustinJ +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fledz View Post

That's not entirely true. It's difficult to get such an expansion of your lungs and a good even increase in muscle/chest size with gym alone. There's tonnes of people that I know who have never stepped foot in a gym but swam all their lives and their physique is fantastic.

That v-shape doesn't happen because they just spend hours in a gym.

They're usually butterfly and/or breastroke swimmers.
Fledz +

Times thanked
<
So here's an idea, do a combination of different strokes instead of just freesytle? Mix it up. Genius isn't it?
Astro-Boy +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 23,515 Times in 10,717 Posts
Didn't we establish that swimmers were fatties?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heraclitus

Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.

mischa21 +

yessum

Times thanked
<
pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,661 Times in 2,288 Posts
Don't listen to all the sheep, you can get a great physique just by playing sports.
Spoiler:

Quote:

Originally Posted by borrisGLOWSTICK View Post

Life trainwreck stories, bewbs, mod angering drug implicated posts and 2fast2furious only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mliro View Post

that’s terrible spastic
also I would imagine a little disheartening that he has never attempted to drug rape you?

mischa21 +

yessum

Times thanked
<
you got a door?
Astro-Boy +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 23,515 Times in 10,717 Posts
Baaad suggestion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heraclitus

Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.

Fledz +

Times thanked
<
Get yourself an Ab Roller from Danoz Direct. Fucken 12 pack in 6 weeks or your money back.
mischa21 +

yessum

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astro-Boy View Post

Didn't we establish that swimmers were fatties?

ocean swimming is the worst. I always line my competitors up at the start line and think - sweet, she's so porky I'll totes beat her and her and her and her. Get out of the water 2km later and the fatties have already crossed. damn buoyancy. and these are often seriously overweight people. it's cray cray.
SPOKEYDOKEY +

cephalapod chewing legend

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,340 Times in 1,508 Posts
Take up smoking and get bronchitis, cough yourself to a ripped-as six pack in under a week

Nb: It's difficult to swim laps with a cigarette, best just to have a cigarette fired up at either end for continued enjoyment.
Everyone knows your snorkeling is just a cover for transition to Aqua Aerobics.
midian +

'yeah, nah, go f**k yourself, I am the King of the Mods and I am the Decider. There can be only One. And.... go f**k yourself.'

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,801 Times in 1,123 Posts
Cut the useless posts out thanks, keep them to the nothing thread
pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,661 Times in 2,288 Posts
In all seriousness, swimming is great. And as a beginner, you'll make the gains you want if you're consistent and concentrate on progression.
Spoiler:

Quote:

Originally Posted by borrisGLOWSTICK View Post

Life trainwreck stories, bewbs, mod angering drug implicated posts and 2fast2furious only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mliro View Post

that’s terrible spastic
also I would imagine a little disheartening that he has never attempted to drug rape you?

mischa21 +

yessum

Times thanked
<
I think I'm going to sign up for this. distance is short but looks fun anyway

http://www.andersonevents.com.au/Com...1/Default.aspx
JustinJ +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fledz View Post

So here's an idea, do a combination of different strokes instead of just freesytle? Mix it up. Genius isn't it?

Well yeah, duh.

I was just making the observation that butterfly swimmers usually are the ones who have the massive shoulders and v-shape bodies.
McFargus +

Weeeeee!

Times thanked
<
Swimming is good for toning and a little bit of bulk. Just when you do your sessions, mix it up a bit. Don't just get in their and do a slow freestyle set..

If you are in a 25m pool do some sprint laps to the 30sec (or 60sec if in a 50m). Get a kickboard and do some straight kick laps, and get yourself a pull buoy so you can just work on your arms.

Most clubs have a swimfit class for the casual swimmer as well. You would learn some drills and sets if you did a few of those.
little_brad +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,997 Times in 2,426 Posts
Swim fit? Kipping freestyle?
mischa21 +

yessum

Times thanked
<
I joined a triathlon club to participate in their swimming training squad sessions. it was the best way to get fit with swimming - you push yourself so much harder than if you just hopped in and punched out a few laps. I agree with McF on doing 50m on the 60 sec etc. gets the heart rate up.

and www.swimman.com.au if you want to waterproof your ipod.
JustinJ +

Times thanked
<
Yeah I chuck in about 4x 25m sprints (or go until I cramp up) at the end of my swim sesh. I like it.

If I could do it, I would totally would do butterfly sprints but I can't get enough power or myself out of the water to do the stroke properly. Probably a bunch of things like strength, technique and shoulder flexibility.
McFargus +

Weeeeee!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by mischa21 View Post

I joined a triathlon club to participate in their swimming training squad sessions. it was the best way to get fit with swimming - you push yourself so much harder than if you just hopped in and punched out a few laps. I agree with McF on doing 50m on the 60 sec etc. gets the heart rate up.

and www.swimman.com.au if you want to waterproof your ipod.

Thanks for the idea, got a waterproof shuffle, works awesome

Got mine from here:

http://waterfi.com/mp3_players/water...le-swim-bundle

Use coupon code: water5p

Last edited by McFargus: 11-Oct-12 at 06:36am

Zodiac +

What do you mean we aren't going to the Superbowl?

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,335 Times in 1,825 Posts
Toning? Fml.
"Words are bullshit. They are just useless sounds we make with our stupid mouths". Rafi - The league

« Previous Thread Next Thread »