The Music Studio

whats your process

Tools
Ghostman +

Times thanked
<
whats your process
When you write tunes how do you do it or whats your process? Do you know what you have in mind or do you (like me) sit there banging away on a keyboard until something cool comes up, which in my case could be days. How do you get the juices flowing. I read an article on Sub Focus recently and he says he can get the basic outline of the tune down in like two hours which really frustrates me,I'm lucky if I can get something decent down in two months.....well maybe not that long but you get the drift. So I would love to hear how you get stuff rolling.
Fewsion +

Registered troll

Times thanked
<
Turn the internetz off.
Make sure that whatever you finish, you burn to a CD, export to mp3 or whatever and listen in the car or in another environment.
Write notes down as you go along on a piece of scrap paper on what parts stand out or need improvement to improve productivity.
Don't listen to reference material unless it's for the purposes of getting creative inspiration (mixing and mastering inadequacy can be disheartening).
Ghostman +

Times thanked
<
yea internet can be a major problem...never thought about listening to it in the car though..mmmm might try that thanks
meldavid +

I used to be a raver like you, but then I took a kick to the knee.

Times thanked
<
1. Turn on

2. Tune in

3. Drop out
SaturdayNightWomen +

Times thanked
<
I use a very conventional method of writing music, I use the following instruments

I start with

Bass Guitar
Electric Guitar
keys (DX7)
Dr Click track

and then transpose to digital

I use these instruments to graft the arrangement then use a electronic bass track drums and effects to create the track

that's basically it
Joe-Trojan +

distorted distortion

Times thanked
<
It's been a while, but I seem to remember working half days which left me with plenty of creative energy, I had some template set up with samples already organized, and some synth presets ready to fire.

Got the beat & bass foundation down, ad in some other elements, muting and unmuting elements in different combinations gave some happy accidents, create the breaks and build up etcs, cut/copy paste everything into a solid arrangement. Listen to finished draft lots of times, if boring change it or add in more shit, compare to other finished tracks by another artists and keep turning everything up until I beat everyone in the loudness war everywhere in the audio spectrum, finished.
soundcloud
SoulWhiteMan +

is on the national broadband network

Times thanked
<
Ill gates tutorials are all about workflow and making the most efficient use of your time in the studio.
Ghostman +

Times thanked
<
thanks ...some great methods/ideas much appreciated

« Previous Thread Next Thread »