The Music Studio

Why is it so dead around these parts. What the hell happened?

Tools
Radic +

Times thanked
<
Why is it so dead around these parts. What the hell happened?
I haven't been around these forums much the last few years but it was always a decent place with energy. Thought i'd come have a look and there's almost no one here. What the hell happened?
Soundcloud
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,528 Times in 1,493 Posts
Every forum I use to frequent seems to be dead these days. Hugh Knows
Radic +

Times thanked
<
Yeah the dj forum is dead as well. Is everyone hanging out at another forum? Did this place get too commercial?
Soundcloud
Jude May +

ohhh yes, me please!

Times thanked
<
Got married, had kids, got a mortgage... hence no time for music stuff.
My SoundCloud
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Dr Rudi +

Howzit!

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,843 Times in 721 Posts
dance music is dead.
Bye now!
Radic +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Rudi View Post

dance music is dead.

It's so commercial right now i'm not surprised
Soundcloud
Fewsion +

Registered troll

Times thanked
<
My 2c.

Threads like this don't offer anything. Not having a go Radic, but if you like the place you should start some new threads. I plan to do that too when I find some time.
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
Social Media is slowly killing forums...and it's said...while Facebook is nice for connecting with people you know, it's crap as fuck compared to forums for connecting with people you don't. Barely anyone interacts in Posts To Page of events/pages...or if they do, it's on pages that are so popular that the discussion moves on too quickly and you can't easily find posts you want to comment in the chain
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
DJ Carter +

Times thanked
<
Every man and their dog is a producer now. I started producing back in 2003 with a mate's copy of Reason 2.5 (did buy a legit copy shortly afterwards as I loved it). Back then no one was producing, except for actual musicians. Then torrenting exploded. Now every second person I know has a "studio" stacked with $10,000 worth of cracked software. Most of them have no concept of music or tech, and no desire to learn. Why would you when you "own" Nexus 2 and its complete suite of expansions?

If you own a nice car there's a chance you may be a member of some club or fraternity with an interest in that sort of car. I can't however think of any clubs for generic car owners. With so many people now in the game, the game has lost its sense of community.

And that's my two cents on why this forum is now dead. I also disagree with the comment about starting new threads - after coming back following a lengthy hiatus from forums, I tried to spark numerous conversations. Nobody was listening.
jester_fu +

I ammmmmmmm

Times thanked
<
Yeah, man... all these whipper snappers killed the scene. Back when i started, there was no hacking or internet to speak of. You couldn't hack hardware - you needed to physically steal it from other peoples gigs or a shop. Or buy it... VSTi's where something you needed to see a doctor about before your genitals dropped off and the only thing a desktop computer was useful for was a basic sequencer and a couple of channels mix down if lucky. A laptop was some chick you'd picked up while munted and decided she'd sit on your knee all night long trying to suck your face off.

Battles use to rage in the street between Atari and Amstrad users about which was the better musical platform, with PC users hiding in corners away from the street thugs and their tape drives. Muso's would drive past in their parents cars and throw empty tinies at you, on a good night. People use to wear shirts to gigs and even warehouse parties had a "no naked" dress code, unless there was foam involved. A festival was something a local council put on to encourage the locals to eat some crap food or clean up their dogs shit - so i guess not much has changed there.

DJ and producers were almost separate tribes and neither professed to have talent or skills to do what the other did. Yeah, there was the odd transitional freak, but these days everyone is a DJ/Producer or they just drop the DJ part and claim to be a producer.

As for forums dying - i blame this on the youth of today as well. Just trying and read the incoherent dribble on any Facebook group. If you'd done that back in the good old days, you'd have been burned like a steak thrown into a fire and then kicked by every passer by. Now, it's all about the circle jerk and seeing who's cheeks you can crawl between that might release some of the rubbish you've spent 20minutes drunk one night "producing" from sample packs and presets.

Fuckin' youth of today, aye.
Radic +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fewsion View Post

My 2c.

Threads like this don't offer anything. Not having a go Radic, but if you like the place you should start some new threads. I plan to do that too when I find some time.

All good. I guess i fall into that category of being older now as well with mortgage, kids, work all taking higher priorities (mid 30's now) but none the less i do enjoy coming on here and reading threads . 4-5 years ago this place was buzzing with posts. What's changed? Just curious.
Soundcloud
DJ Carter +

Times thanked
<
I highly endorse jester_fu's post
richcur +

Peanuts

Times thanked
<
Facebook... That's why
Rich Curtis' website & Facebook

Latitude End EP (incl Andre Sobota, Noraj Cue & Verve Rmxs) - Mar 24
Golden Wings Music "Unique" EP (incl Flipped) - May 2

Playing prog/tech LIVE on Proton Radio, 1st Tues of Month @10pm US EST
Hybrid88 +

Times thanked
<
That blows, this place was the business for people into proper dance music in Aus, it had a special vibe, not like Gearslutz and those trolling pricks. Too bad, I miss reading stuff on here :/

Facebook is a waste of time for anything productive IMO, no wonder it's so popular...
TheNextBestThing +

Times thanked
<
The moderates began censoring posts that did not fit their "fad of the day" agenda for business purposes. Itm streached themselves to thin trying to appeal to the masses and neglected the communities they had successfully cultivated for years.
TheNextBestThing +

Times thanked
<
p.s I should have added a "trigger warning" to my previous post for the moderator/s of this forum as I am familiar with how easily they can be offended.
TheNextBestThing +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by richcur View Post

Facebook... That's why

Why are other forums still thriving?
hpstekno +

Times thanked
<
we moved on itm became the murdoch of the dance music world.. no cred any more we moved back under ground
hopselectroniks@myspace
MY JJJunearthed page
TheNextBestThing +

Times thanked
<
Yeah I agree. At the height of the music bubble ITM posted articles about Paris Hilton e.g. djing ,dating. I think that crossed the line for a lot of people.
Dee Jay Mikey +

Times thanked
<
Yeah these forums used to absolutely pump! ( this is my first post/ login in 5 years I think ) lol

Why did I come back here today?? hmm..
Melodic Convention VI ~ Friday March 4 @ Biero Bar ~ 6PM - 1AM ~ No cover charge!!!! ( Until 12:57 AM )

Sven Vath Industries available ~ Hit me up for tickets... STAT!
rhythmboy +

"I am the Beef Chief..."

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNextBestThing View Post

p.s I should have added a "trigger warning" to my previous post for the moderator/s of this forum as I am familiar with how easily they can be offended.

Don't worry, if there was a decent moderator for this forum then all of the threads that sell shit would be removed. This forum has largely descended into 'sample packs for sale', followed by 'remix comp for some bodge artist from the US' and peppered with the same old 'what should I buy/how do I sound less shite' stuff that is the bread and butter these days.

The forums used to be fun and exciting. Now the threads are dull as. This is the most exciting discussion that's been here in months and the only reason I logged in. So thanks Radic for giving us old farts something to complain about!

Oh and facebook and twitter are killing forums like youse said. Attention spans of most people can't go past one sentence now.
Joe-Trojan +

distorted distortion

Times thanked
<
For me:

ITM went full blown commercial with their ads and feature article content, that was a big turnoff for me, eventually I even took down all my photos.

Even a year or two ago there seemed to be a correlation with the rise and rise of social media and the slow death of this and other forums I used.

I personally took a break from all the music production and related things I was doing to concentrate on work, comes with age I guess.

I could be pretty harsh to dumb questions, that probably scared away some potential new members, whoops.

anyway this place really got me going with using Cubase, knowing how to use midi properly and how to do everything from sound design, mixing and mastering.

Thanks to all and I hope my input helped someone else.

Joe.
soundcloud

« Previous Thread Next Thread »