How to record set out at a club?

Page 1 of 2
  Tools
Rocca +

Query: Do you feel lucky, meatbag?

Times thanked
<
How to record set out at a club?
i'm looking for something small and portable that i can take out with me to a club to record my set and for saving mixes at home. yesterday i bought a creative zen neeon 2 which didn't even turn on or charge or anything so i got my money back and got an iriver e100. i just tried using that now and on max quality with the recording volume up you can barely hear the kick which is not too good. i think it saves to wma and there is no other option, with "high quality" being 192. so can anyone suggest something to record with? cheers
Fresh new trance mix, embrace the madness!

https://soundcloud.com/philby/philli...ness-july-2015

mashedman +

The Untalented Mr Ripley

Times thanked
<
put rockbox on your iriver
J0rdz +

Tewnnnnz

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,275 Times in 429 Posts
I have an iRiver H320. Records straight to mp3 - quality can be changed all the way upto 320kbps.

Apparently the Rockbox mod enables you to also record straight to WAV, but i havent been bothered to install it yet so not sure.
| DJ | Facebook | Twitter | Blog | Substance |
Rocca +

Times thanked
<
cheers, i just checked it out but that's not available for the e100 iriver yet. i'll have another look

littlebrains69 +

JimmyJams

Times thanked
<
I don't see why you would ever need more than 192kbps, unless you are going to reproduce it on a large scale i.e. play it back through a club system. If it's only for reference or promo - 192 should be fine and anyone who says otherwise is just

Promoters listen to the tracks and the mix, not the quality. If you think through your home system it sounds tramp then you need to pull your hand out and spend more time on the decks.

That said, I have no idea about Irivers so can't offer any advice. The fact that the kick isn't coming through may be a cable issue or unit issue. How are you recording RCA -> 3.5mm converter to the line in?
Skerik +

naff

Times thanked
<
sounds like a cable/phasing issue - does the little plug have 2 black lines on it? the one you plug into that iriver thingy?

also - is the line in on that unit stereo? it most probably is, but ya never know... dumber things have existed
.music. .pictures. .project:tryptamine.
Tubby +

Times thanked
<
rockbox not only records in wav, but has auto-gain options for recording dj sets, it lights up when you clip. it also bypasses he 200mb recording file size limit of the standard iriver o/s, though not the 2Gb file limit of the file system
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
I've got an E100 too...first time I used it to record, no dramas, 6+ hours in one file, works fine
Second time it spazzed out and didn't save squat...had to Reset the damn thing to get it to power back up!

That Rockbox thing sounds interesting, but like Littlebrain said, 192K is more than enough for most requirements...shit, most people wouldn't pick the difference between 192K and 320K anyway
Tripura +

Times thanked
<
Has anyone used an add-on for recording with ipods or the linux version of ipod which allows recording? Is it any good?
Latest Mixes:
Deep Techy D&B
Chilled Liquid D&B
underhousearrest +

kjsdbf

Times thanked
<
just take a laptop and a little external sound card.... I'm a Serato/vinyl DJ so i record most of my sets

Soundcloud

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesperoni

I use the people that hate me as a measure of my own performance as a human, if they're shit ****s then I'm on the right track.

Dr_Hysteric +

*powered by Italo-Disco

Times thanked
<
minidisc ftw
Rocca +

Times thanked
<
the cable doesn't need a converter or anything, it has two plugs to connect into the 'out' and one, the "small" :p one, for the 'in'. i know there is nothing wrong with the cable since i've used it at home often with the pc and the laptop and the sound quality is fine recording as a wav. i don't want to take the laptop out since i get a 50 hz hum from the power supply and have to keep fiddling with the recording cable for it to go away. it's an old cheap 2nd hand one with about 2 mins battery power :p will an external sound card take care of the hum? then i could try taking that out with me.

littlebrains: this 192kbit wma sounds pretty average compared to a 192kbit mp3. i don't know if this is just due to the way this iriver records things or something else.

how much is an iriver h320? they aren't on the iriver site. thanks for the help so far

BBC +

livin' for the weekend

Times thanked
<
The iRiver E100 is the WORST piece of plastic I have ever bought. Just like Random Kiwi mentioned, it has a mind of it's own. Sometimes it will work, other times it will not.

DO NOT BUY AN IRIVER E100

I think I worked it out though, when it's clipping too high, it shuts down, for a few hours. I would like to add this Rockbox software to it but unfortunately it's not available for this model.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Good Doctor

"No, I'm not letting you use my headphones, just cause you've got a USB stick full of MP3's in your pocket".

ShuffleStuff +

paris is for losers

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,423 Posts
I hate my iriver E100, it's busted now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRP

I don't need to know how tough I am to know how tough I am.

Tubby +

Times thanked
<
iriver H300 series is no longer sold. when I fried my h320 I went and bought a second hand H340 of ebay, bought a $16 new battery, couldn't find any new model players that were any better.
Garthyboy +

Times thanked
<
http://www.storedj.com.au/products/product.php?id=1920
If you are really serious about it and quality is important
Rocca +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garthyboy

http://www.storedj.com.au/products/product.php?id=1920
If you are really serious about it and quality is important

haha cool, i think i want something slightly cheaper lol. i might try looking for an iriver h series then

Peter B +

Times thanked
<
Does anyone know if you can use an Iriver with a Mac? Is anyone here doing this? I've found so many conflicting stories on the net with people saying no you can't and others saying yes you can.

I went to by one last week and the guy in the shop said he didn't know but he thought it PC only. However I was in Hong Kong and I'm not 100% sure he understood what I was saying?

I just feel lately that I really need to get of my a*se and start recording some mixes both at home and out and about. If I can't use an Iriver what else can I use with a Mac (thats not too expensive either)?
Papanikolas +

In the beginning there was Jack.....Daniels

Times thanked
<
My iRiver H340 works fine with my Macs. There shouldnt be any problems.
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts
minidisc player is by far the best portable and high quality recording device.

i own an iriver X20 which records 192 mp3's... i find it's fine for just recording mixes to play back or on home stereo...

also you might want to look at the input volume from the mixer if the recording volume is too low... it might not be the players fault
step on my cubes.
mashedman +

The Untalented Mr Ripley

Times thanked
<
h340 with rockbox destroys any minidisc. 40 gig of space can record .wav. What more can you need
Peter B +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papanikolas

My iRiver H340 works fine with my Macs. There shouldnt be any problems.

Thanks mate.

Just a couple of quick questions, what program do you run it through? and can you see any reason why the H340 would be any different to any other Iriver? (sorry I'm a bit of a technophobe)
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
iRivers are great as they work like a portable hard drive, you can just plug it in, Explore, and copy files off it without even using the iRiver software...you only need the actual iRiver software to put music on it in order to play the music on it, but you can just drag and drop files in and out of it...steal music off someone else's computer, then get home, drag it off, then use the actual software to pop it on in a playable form...one of the reasons iRiver shits all over iPoos

So you'd just USB it to your computer, drag the file off onto your desktop, then use Audacity or Soundforge or some other music program to play around with the file, cut it up into chucks for burning/uploading/converting to another file type etc
Peter B +

Times thanked
<
Thanks fellow kiwi

I kinda thought that would be the case, but all the 'you can't use irivers with macs' talk was starting to confuse me. I have an ipod touch for listening to stuff (the Shazam application is so handy) so i don't need to use it as player just a recorder and I'm not over concerned about quality, 192 will be fine for what I want to do with it (anything that records 320 would just be a bonus).

I just want to make some mp3's of what I'm playing, give it to some mates or keep a couple on file every now and then to see if I'm improving or how my tastes are changing.

Not too sure if I'm alone on this but does anyone else find it's really hard to actually listen to what's going on when you're mixing? I'm sure listening to a recorded mix will be a totally different experience to actually playing the set. (hope that made sense)
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter B

Not too sure if I'm alone on this but does anyone else find it's really hard to actually listen to what's going on when you're mixing? I'm sure listening to a recorded mix will be a totally different experience to actually playing the set. (hope that made sense)

Hard out, bro! Go the kiwi-isms

Yeah, sometimes you'll think a mix was a total dogs breakfast, but when you re-listen not from the DJs perspective, you realise it wasn't so bad. And often, you're just too busy concentrating to really absord it all.
Nick Vidal +

house is a feeling

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter B

I just want to make some mp3's of what I'm playing, give it to some mates or keep a couple on file every now and then to see if I'm improving or how my tastes are changing.

Definately a good move to rrecord your sets - you can also listen back and see what is and isn't working etc

also im not sure what that second bit means ?
www.nickvidal.com www.shesydney.com
VIDAL CREATIVE www.vidalcreative.com
Peter B +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi

Hard out, bro! Go the kiwi-isms

Haha, yeah I'm trying really hard to fit in over here but I keep wanting to go home from work grab a crate bottle of Lion Red, have some greasies and watch Shorty Street

Guess you can take the boy out of NZ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Vidal

also im not sure what that second bit means ?

I think Random Kiwi had it. It's more that sometimes I'm convinced that what I'm doing sounds like complete crap, but everyone who's listening doesn't know what I'm talking about.

It would be nice to know if they're being nice or if it isn't as bad as I think.

Last edited by Peter B: 06-Mar-09 at 03:27pm

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
aahahaha - I love a good crate bottle, or long neck as they call them here, cheapest way to drink beer too...that shit's so expensive compared to back home!

Dan Murphy's, 3 Carlton Draught long necks, $11.50 - SWEET!

rossredman +

Trance :: Techno

Times thanked
<
I use a Fostex MR8-HD with a pair of fostex MC10st at the front of the booth. mixdown at home. Of course... thats a bit more than what you want, but you get the crowd noise and stuff to, and it end up awesome. Gonna start offering to record other people's sets soon.
Peter B +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

aahahaha - I love a good crate bottle, or long neck as they call them here, cheapest way to drink beer too...that shit's so expensive compared to back home!

Dan Murphy's, 3 Carlton Draught long necks, $11.50 - SWEET!

Tell me about it. I remember when I moved over here I couldn't get over how expensive alcohol was in general (I'm over it now, a man's gotta drink).

Still haven't bought a bottle spirits over here yet (4 years), its like daylight robbery. I just get people to pick them up duty free for me (friends that don't drink and travel a lot can be useful )
Papanikolas +

Times thanked
<
Just installed Rockbox on my iRiver H340 and recorded a quick mix. I like it - has way more recording options (such as wav) and there is no limit to the length (i think it used to be 3 hours).
ShuffleStuff +

paris is for losers

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,423 Posts
Gotta get me one of these fabled H430s

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRP

I don't need to know how tough I am to know how tough I am.

Papanikolas +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShuffleStuff

Gotta get me one of these fabled H430s

don't think they make them anymore - mine is about 3 years old. can prob pick up a cheap one off ebay though.

i was considering selling mine after i got an ipod touch, but now i have new uses for it.
johnjay +

Times thanked
<
hey guys just wondering, you know how you can get thsoe rca cables that go from your mixer into your laptop, can you do the same into say an iphone and record a set?

do iphones have this ability?
http://jayjsmooth.blogspot.com/
www.soundcloud.com/jayjsmooth
Peter B +

Times thanked
<
don't quote me but I'm pretty sure that no apple device (iphone, ipods, ipod touches) records anything.
mashedman +

The Untalented Mr Ripley

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papanikolas

Just installed Rockbox on my iRiver H340 and recorded a quick mix. I like it - has way more recording options (such as wav) and there is no limit to the length (i think it used to be 3 hours).

well apparently there is still a 2gig file limit, haven't made it there so cant confirm.

Pretty sure apple only has line out. Never owned one though, so just check if the is a line in
rancho +

Oooooooh such a good time

Times thanked
<
Thanked 7,099 Times in 2,856 Posts
irivers are ums (universal mass storage) devices so are mac compatible. there are exceptions, those being hdd based players (exluding H100 and H300 series) like the H10 and E10 which are not mac compatible.

all current au iriver models are mac compatible.

to the people dissing the e100, make sure it has the latest firmware, that should resolve most issues.

i use an x20 to record sets and its fine. the early firmware versions for e100 were fucked and the recordings werent very good. current firmware recordings should be good enough for personal use. i have plenty of live sets from my x20 that you cant tell the difference between the recording and the original file on a standard hifi or headphone system.

rockbox was great on h300s, but not available for current models. which is sad because the x20/e100 ui is absolute fucking garbage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

well, according to dictionary.com
chilli is hot pepper food etc.
chilly is cold temperature.

Peter B +

Times thanked
<
thanks so much for all your help, this will help a lot.
Marc Us +

House & Funk DJ

Times thanked
<
looking to replace my iRiver x20 after it died (its stuck on building library screen, even after turn it on/off)

what do ITMers recommend? under $250, small portable, 8Gb. i only use it to record my DJ sets

thanx team
Tikki Tembo
www.tikkitembomusic.com
social media: #tikkitembomusic
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
what's wrong with 192 for general listening? if you're connecting it to a DJM 600 i dare say you'll the mixer is just as bad as the recording quality.

where did you plug the recording device into? you should be able to adjust the booth out and booth monitors to suit your purpose then put them back at the end of your set.

I've had an X20 and now have the E100... while I'm pissed off at a lot of the changes in the E100 the recording is fine for general listening when you know what to do.

minidisc players are also very very good for this.
step on my cubes.
Marc Us +

House & Funk DJ

Times thanked
<
thanx bracko, i just gave the thread a bump cause i need a new recorder of some sort.... any advice out there?
Tikki Tembo
www.tikkitembomusic.com
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
I too have the iRiver E100, it's worked 3 times for recording for me, and frozen up on 2 other occassions, needing push of the old Rests button to even come back to life...could this be linked to the aforementioned firmware upgrade issue?

Now does one upgrade the firmware? Just plug it in and head to the iRiver site?

Cheers

Marcus - the E100 is a nice little number, 2Gb, 4Gb or 8Gb, but only records to .WMA, not .WAV or .MP3,
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
Marc Us +

House & Funk DJ

Times thanked
<
thanx kiwi, not reliable enough by the sounds of things, recorded only 3 out of 5. geez i expect a product to work EVERYTIME.

i loved my x20 but cant believe getting frozen on the 'building library' screen meant the point of no return. how soft!!
Tikki Tembo
www.tikkitembomusic.com
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Yah, I hear you there...when it has worked, it works sweet...even iRiver had no answers for me when I questioned about it locking up...go figure...

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

bj9999 +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
Minidisc - $99 - have been using it for over a year and its terrific.
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Minidiscs do the trick, but really, they're a pain in the ass as they're recording time limited, and to get it from your minidisc onto a file format such as MP3/WMA for uploading, you have to play the who disc and record it with some kind of software anyways.

Ikey's are apparently the schizz

http://www.ikey-audio.com/ikey.htm

Ikey Plus:

http://www.ikey-audio.com/ikeyplus.htm

Bracko +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Minidiscs do the trick, but really, they're a pain in the ass as they're recording time limited, and to get it from your minidisc onto a file format such as MP3/WMA for uploading, you have to play the who disc and record it with some kind of software anyways.

incorrect.

the 1 gig versions have oddles of room with ARTAC3 lossless compression and they transfer at standard USB rates to your computer (in ATRAC though).

minidisc players are by far the best form of mobile recording I've bumped into considering all the drawbacks associated with mobile recording (cost included)
step on my cubes.
brooklyn909 +

waxWaxwax

Times thanked
<
What version of firmware for the e100 is everyone using?
I still use my mini disc to record however I found the .wma recording was shite.
Mixes - http://www.purehousemusic.net/brooklyn Heaps of different mixes are available upon request...Pm me or Email jacknhouse@hotmail.com
J-radical +

Tinkerbell is well hot

Times thanked
<
ive got an IkeyPlus, its awesome and so easy to use. You can plug whatever you want into it, be it a thumb drive or mass storage and record for as long as you want in whatever quality you want. highly recommend it.!
Salon Kitty - Sound Cloud
rancho +

Oooooooh such a good time

Times thanked
<
Thanked 7,099 Times in 2,856 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Us

thanx kiwi, not reliable enough by the sounds of things, recorded only 3 out of 5. geez i expect a product to work EVERYTIME.

i loved my x20 but cant believe getting frozen on the 'building library' screen meant the point of no return. how soft!!

dude, i should be able to get your x20 replaced with the new model under warranty. pm me if you havent already bought something new.
Page 1 of 2

« Previous Thread Next Thread »