House, Techno and Progressive

Vault Series Label Thread (Subjected, Moerbeck, Sawlin)

Tools
macadali +

Times thanked
<
Vault Series Label Thread (Subjected, Moerbeck, Sawlin)
::Off tap techno:: Underground as fuck::Anonymous as fuck::Just how we like it::

VAULT SERIES was founded 2010 by SUBJECTED. He wanted to give a platform for SAWLIN, MØRBECK and himself for releasing high quality music, which is independent from the mainstream electronic music scene. Each artist has his own style of producing and sensing music, but all in all they have the same idea of techno: raw industrial techno with heavy distortion and experimental edged soundscapes!!!!

VAULT SERIES and the artists don´t care about a biographie or big discographie. What are letters, signs and words, when the records and the productions speak their own language.

WELCOME TO VAULT SERIES!!!

macadali +

Times thanked
<
animalistic

Media Player
macadali +

Times thanked
<
this is how its done

macadali +

Times thanked
<
+++ Founder of Vault Series +++ no real biographie +++ no evident pictures +++ no articulative image +++ just strong music +++ music from under the surface +++ music from the vault +++

ShinyDiscoball +

Times thanked
<
http://soundcloud.com/vault-series/subjected-005-7

rocking.

macadali +

Times thanked
<
Great interview with Subjected by TEA

Far removed from 'dance' musics sex sells ministry of airbrushed babes and headphones only worn around the neck, comes 2010's Berlin boom town record label VAULT SERIES. The VAULT SERIES has joined the likes of Horizontal Ground, Frozen Border and Pom Pom in prioritising their music over their personalities. Vault Series personalities comes in the shape of bouldering drums and terrifying and rhythms thanks to the production style and aesthetic created by Subjected, Sawlin and Moerbeck.

Do away with internet searches and facebook stalks as these three Berlin enigmas are dedicated in keeping their style of no nonsense techno pure, unadulterated and anonymous. Black sleeve, black record, black stamp.

For groups like this less is usually more but I had the chance to catch up with Vault Series label head Subjected in a rare interview to talk all things raw, industrial and black.

Quote:

You started VAULT SERIES in 2010. Tell us about your inspirations and influences leading up to starting the label?

The idea of Vault was first thought of in 2009 or even earlier. Sawlin and I had shared the same passion for dark techno but had no way of releasing it because at that stage it was too early. We were collecting and producing tracks but no one really showed an interest so I said “Fuck it, lets do our own label, I’ll send our stuff to a distributor and see how it goes”. After a few weeks we had a contract with Intergroove.

You initially started the label as a means to release music for yourself 'Subjected' as well as Sawlin and Moerbeck. Tell us about your relationship with these two.

I’ve known Moerbeck for around 9 years. We lived in the same district and I often spent time with him chilling at his flat. He was already making music but it was more hip hop than electronic. We always wanted to produce music but their were always other things going on. Then Moerbeck and Sawlin started working together where they shared and developed a similar style. Eventually I met Sawlin and we began to produce. Moerbeck and I moved to different districts and didn´t see each other as often. When I had the idea for Vault, Sawlin showed me some Moerbeck tracks and his productions represented our idea of techno. I called up Moerbeck and told him my plan for the VAULT SERIES and now all three us of meet regularly to produce music and share a great friendship.

Tell us more about Sawlin and Moerbeck.

Both have been making music for over 10 years and love their analogue instruments. Both are freaks in edging, shaping and cutting their own sounds. Sawlin is also the big daddy, I learned a lot from him. He also has a great ear for mixdowns. And Moerbeck? He is a extremely creative person with his own distinctive style that fits the Vault Series perfectly.

The VAULT SERIES idea of techno is ‘raw and industrial with heavy distortion and experimental soundscapes’. Can you elaborate on your style of techno and what you are trying to express.

We are trying to express the dark, rough and strange elements in music. Music under the surface and out of a Vault. If a sound is to clean we often don’t take it, we are searching for unique strange sounds that you haven't heard before.

The collaborations between the three VAULT SERIES artists must be a very special thing. You all have a very similar yet individual ideas and principles of techno. Tell us a bit more about these collaborations in the studio.

That’s hard to explain. We know how a track has to sound. If there is an element that is to simple we say “this has to be more aggressive or more effected” so we edge and mould our sounds until the result is perfect and everyone is confident with the final product.

Will VAULT SERIES remain solely as a platform for releasing Sawlin, Moerbeck and Subjected music?

For the next few years, yes. Only Sawlin, Moerbeck and Subjected.

Tell us about the Vault Series live?

Yes, Sawlin and I together played our first live gig at Berghain in September 2010. Further live and DJ gigs are planned. We are also working on a larger scale live performance where all three of us will be jamming, improvising and djing together at same time.

How did you find yourself first effected by electronic music and what eventually led you to producing?

It all stems back to the first nights when we started heading out to clubs. We didn’t know each other at the time but the process of how we got into electronic music was the same. As kids we did graffiti, made hip hop and listened to jungle. Then we started going to clubs like E-Werk and Tresor. I heard so much new music and that was the point where I began to DJ and produce. For all of us those nights were very inspiring. The artists we saw are too many to mention but sounds from Detroit like Model 500, Robert Hood and the whole UR thing played a big part. Nowadays we are feeling industrial and dark sounds from artists like Milton Bradley, Xhin and Ancient Methods.

The VAULT SERIES is doing its part in keeping techno underground. How important do you think the role of anonymity is in techno?

I think anonymity and keeping it underground results in our attitude. The music and its output is more important then how many friends or pictures you have on your myspace or facebook account, who cares about that when your output is cheap and boring. This extroversion is sometimes very embarrassing and that’s none of our business.

Tell us about your involvement with Grounded Theory and do you have any plans for a VAULT SERIES label night?

I can't say whether there will be a Vault Series party in the future, but we are working on improving our VAULT SERIES live and DJ showcases. As for Grounded Theory, they have the same idea of representing music as VAULT SERIES. The face value of the artist is not as important, but rather the image of the music and the label. That’s what I like. I’m very happy to be working with Grounded Theory.

Looking back on 2010 how did you find running the label in its first year?

It’s been great and I’m also surprised, our music is played worldwide and the feedback has been mind blowing.

How far would you like the label to eventually branch out?

I’m not sure yet, I haven't had time to think about it. At the moment I’m taking it one step at a time.

What have you got planned for 2011?

No real master plan. We will be releasing new Vault tracks and maybe by the end of 2011 we’ll have the first VAULT SERIES LP, but at the moment we really don’t know.

Download Subjected's exclusive VAULT SERIES mix for TEA which includes some new and unreleased tracks.

1.Milton Bradley - END 111A
2.Sawlin - VAULT 003A1
3.Mørbeck - VAULT 004A
4.Subjected- VAULT 001B
5.Sawlin - VAULT 003A2
6.Moerbeck - VAULT 003B1
7.Subjected - (unreleased)
8.Sawlin & Subjected - 002A
9.Subjected - (unreleased)
10.Sawlin - VAULT 001A
11.Mørbeck - (unreleased)
12.Mørbeck - VAULT003B2

ShinyDiscoball +

Times thanked
<
http://soundcloud.com/vault-series/s...-vault-series/

macadali +

Times thanked
<
Feckin aye gurl! It's the shit that track. Seems like there's only two people in the know. Know what I'm sayin?

Nervous City rocks it!!!!
ShinyDiscoball +

Times thanked
<
yeeeeeeeee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD2V0...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC5tt...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_N-P...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEDmU...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSQ7y...eature=related

look at this quality event lineup
http://www.residentadvisor.net/event.aspx?297961
ShinyDiscoball +

Times thanked
<
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK_8W...e_gdata_player

macadali +

Times thanked
<
Fuck that is a tough track. Dark side raw industrial sounding German techno all the way. Enough to cave techno pussy wannabes heads in.
macadali +

Times thanked
<
Tasty Moerbeck & Subjected remixes of Sawf - Ninio.

Next up are the Vault Series team of Moerbeck and Subjected, who are also part of the Grounded Theory camp that includes both Milton Bradley and now Sawf himself. Both mixes provide a dirgy take on techno fits perfectly with the current techno/industrial fusion that has been propelling Perc Trax forward recently. Moerbeck's mix of Ninio adds an additional dancefloor edge to Sawf's original mix without losing any of the grit or menace from it whilst Subjected turns in an even grimier dub mix for those early morning after party sets.

Sawf - Ninio (Subjected Remix)

Media Player

Sawf - Ninio (Moerbeck Remix)

ShinyDiscoball +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by macadali View Post

Fuck that is a tough track. Dark side raw industrial sounding German techno all the way. Enough to cave techno pussy wannabes heads in.

ouuuuffffffffffffffffff

macadali +

Times thanked
<
OK KIDDIES PUT THIS IN YOUR PIPES AND SMOKE IT!

Just released by Moerbeck

Smoke Machine Podcast 033 MØRBECK

Great interview by Smoke Machine right here with the man himself as well.

1. How did growing up in Berlin influence your music?

Since the age of 14 I have been part of Berlin's Hip Hop and Techno scene. Their creativity influenced me a great deal. As it turned out some of these guys and I happened to share the same musical interests. So we started hanging out and made beats together.

2. What were your inspirations when you were growing up?

When I grew up I was inspired by riots, revolutions, darkness, visions, science fiction and end-of-days-scenarios.

3. The Vault Series was set up as a label for you, Sawlin and Subjected to release your material. When you are creating, how much do you collaborate?

Right now I'm collaborating with Subjected because we want to prepare and develop our live act.
But each of us also does his own tracks in his deep and dark "Vault"!

4. Your love of analogue instruments has been mentioned in previous articles. Do you think the future is analogue or digital? Or is there room for both?

I think both have their place in the future and I think both have got good and bad aspects. Many of those synths 'n' effects I use are a analog but I like using various digital instruments and plug-ins as well.

In my opinion every artist has to make his own decision on what he likes to work with. Its the same issue when it comes to DJing (vinyl or digital?). I don't like discussions about whether to prefer the digital way or the analogue one. I think in the end what really is important, is the result!

5. I believe this is your first interview. It seems that you have managed to let your music do all the talking. Have you been surprised by the reception that your music has got?

I have produced a lot of music since I've started being creative.I would never have imagined that my dark side in music's going to be the most successful.

6.In an interview entitled Tea with Subjected, he said the three Vault artists were thinking about a live collaboration. How’s it going?

As I mentioned before, I will continue to do live performances together with Subjected. Entitled "Vault Series (Live)", we did the 1 st performance at a "Grounded Theory" party this October. The next gig will be at the Berghain in January 2012.

7.Your latest release, Last Riot and Nervous City, takes the Vault Series up to 7 releases. How do you see your sound evolving through the series?

I find it hard to be the judge of the development of my own sound. Apart from that I just think it is boring to do it always the same way. So I try to make it different every time that I start a new project. Every track stands for itself.

8. It seems to be a very exciting time for music in Berlin at the moment. Apart from yourselves, whose sound do you particularly like?

With regard to the Berlin Techno artist scene I like, for example, Ancient Methods, Henning Baer, Milton Bradley and Redhead.

9. Where do you see the future of techno and your place in it?

Techno is of course here to stay and will continue to evolve. I'm anxious to see what my place in it will be in the future. I do hope that Techno will take me around the world.

In any case I will keep doing Techno for as long as my ears and mind will let me.
ShinyDiscoball +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

=

I have produced a lot of music since I've started being creative.I would never have imagined that my dark side in music's going to be the most successful.

HELL YEAH.......because the dark side rocks zee most!!!!!!

ShinyDiscoball +

Times thanked
<
http://prostheticpressings.podomatic...22_13_45-08_00

Latest Subjected mix on the Prosthethic Pressings podcast

ROCKING

macadali +

Times thanked
<
Moerbeck - Nervous City (Vault Series 7.0)

Media Player
ShinyDiscoball +

Times thanked
<
these guys rock!!!!!!!!! love their style
macadali +

Times thanked
<
Latest Release - Vault Series 8.0 (Subjected)

Tracks "A", "B" and "C" all ripped and b2b in the one upload.

Media Player

ShinyDiscoball +

Times thanked
<
ouuuufffffffffffffff

macadali +

Times thanked
<
Proper.

Media Player
macadali +

Times thanked
<
Media Player
macadali +

Times thanked
<
New Subjected techno mix. Tasty.

http://broodaudio.com/podcasts/brood-audio-podcast012/

Download via itunes: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/b...st/id484687118

1. Sawlin – Boring Feels (Original Mix) [Ann Aimee]
2. Function – Descending (Original Mix) [Sandwell District]
3. Reeko – The Day After 2 (Original Mix) [Mental Disorder]
4. Audio Injection – Condition (Original Mix) [Silent Steps]
5. Yan Cook – Murk (Original Mix) [Brood Audio]
6. Regis – We said no (Original Mix) [Downwards]
7. D. Carbone – Untitled (Original Mix) [Repitch]
8. Subjected – 008.A1 (Original Mix) [Vault Series]
9. Developer – Programma [Modularz]
10. Subjected – unreleased [unreleased]
11. Heiko Laux – Re-Televised Part 2 (Original Mix) [Kanzleramt]
12. Frank Sonic & Mike Maass – Turbulence (Yan Cook RMX) [Brood Audio]
13. Pacou – Connection (Original Mix) [Tresor]
14. Marcel Dettmann – Landscape (Answer Code Request Remix) [Music Man][/media]
macadali +

Times thanked
<
No bullshit here.

Sawlin - Datamen Working

Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by macadali View Post

Latest Release - Vault Series 8.0 (Subjected)

Tracks "A", "B" and "C" all ripped and b2b in the one upload.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGleTU_7ZTw

I've been meaning to get around to some of these tracks and sets (I've got some Sawlin tracks I really like).

This is a seriously good EP. The intensity of the A side is beautifully offset (or complimented I can't work out which but it feels like the former) by the dubby chords.

B is brutal in the T47 mold.
My mixes:

Bruno Orso’s Sunrise Over Tocumwal, 28 January 2012
Track list

Orso's Sounds of the Tunnel Vol 1, December 2013

Last edited by Bruno from Burwood: 24-Feb-12 at 09:24am

macadali +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruno from Burwood View Post

I've been meaning to get around to some of these tracks and sets (I've got some Sawlin tracks I really like).

This is a seriously good EP. The intensity of the A side is beautifully offset (or complimented I can't work out which but it feels like the former) by the dubby chords.

B is brutal in the T47 mold.

Agreed great EP and B side totally kills it. There's also a great ltd release digital version of the same B side, it's slightly different, but still great. I'll see if I can up it for you.

Sawlin is definitely the dark horse of the three out of the Vault Series label (although he is not officially releasing though them anymore, but still works very closely with both Subjected and Moerbeck).

His latest EP Techno Dumping has defo got the goods. http://www.delsinrecords.com/release...dxRelease=3024

The mix that really did for me on here is the Subjected Prosthetic Pressings one: http://prostheticpressings.podomatic...22_13_45-08_00
ShinyDiscoball +

Times thanked
<
SAWLIN

Techno Dumping
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLPau...feature=relmfu
macadali +

Times thanked
<
SLAMMIN TECHNO SET BY SAWLIN.

JUST RELEASED NOW. FUKN GUN.

ShinyDiscoball +

Times thanked
<

Last edited by ShinyDiscoball: 27-Apr-12 at 09:44am

sounds_echoed +

stasis is death. see you on the other side.

Times thanked
<
Brutally amazing techno. That's what I love about Sawlin and Subjected. Like Markus Suckut
macadali +

Times thanked
<
Vault Series 9.0 - Moerbeck. What a killer EP.

Vault Series 10 - Subjected & Sawlin is currently in mastering stages.

Media Player
Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
<
I'm really enjoying the last two EPs by Subjected and Moerbeck.

Rather than the usual grey scale the is present in industrial sounding tunes (not that there is anything wrong with it) there is real darkness in the Vault Series music. I love it.
My mixes:

Bruno Orso’s Sunrise Over Tocumwal, 28 January 2012
Track list

Orso's Sounds of the Tunnel Vol 1, December 2013

Last edited by Bruno from Burwood: 21-Jun-12 at 07:49am

macadali +

Times thanked
<
Sawlin & Subjected - FM.7 from Vault Series 10.0

Skull crackin techno!

Media Player
macadali +

Times thanked
<
BALLSY MIX BY SUBJECTED

Last edited by macadali: 19-Sep-12 at 03:46pm

jordan__ +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,926 Times in 438 Posts
Digging Moerbeck - Magneto EP!
Karl O'Connor '99 - '15 (tribute mix) | Soundcloud | Anomaly

playing next at
/// 31st July, Bass Mountains Podcast
/// 5th September, TBA
/// 31st October, Andromeda Festival

macadali +

Times thanked
<
Vault Series 11.0 on its way

Here's a taste

sounds_echoed +

stasis is death. see you on the other side.

Times thanked
<
One of my fav techno labels alongside Blueprint and also what used to be Sandwell District.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »