Immigration/ Sink the boats/ Asylum seekers

Page 23 of 23
  Tools
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
<
Thanked 6,687 Times in 3,877 Posts
Morrison is fucking terrifying. This goes against everything a democratic, transparent government should stand for.
trist +

too many years on ITM

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post

Morrison is fucking terrifying. This goes against everything a democratic, transparent government should stand for.

he certainly is effective though...
Come with us back to those inglorious days when heroes weren't zeros. Before fair was square. When the cavalry came straight away and all-American men were like Hemingway to the days of the wondrous B movie. Gil Scott-Heron
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
<
Thanked 17,049 Times in 7,537 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by trist View Post

effective at hiding.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

Hal Jordan +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by trist View Post

Why don't they just shoot them? That would be even more effective.
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
<
Is trist being sarcastic, or does he honestly believe that the sole measure of the minister's performance is stopping boats?
Mickstah +

"Science needs to be applied to beds"

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,159 Times in 1,819 Posts
What a grub.

I really hope something comes of this: http://www.andrewwilkie.org/content/...ott_government

Quote:

ICC requested to investigate prosecution of Abbott Government

The Independent Member for Denison, Andrew Wilkie, and eminent human rights advocate and lawyer, Greg Barns, have formally requested the Prosecutor at the International Criminal Court (ICC) investigate crimes against asylum seekers by members of the Abbott Government.

“The actions of the Prime Minister and members of his Government against asylum seekers are criminal,” Mr Wilkie said. “Actions such as forcible deportation, detention without trial, detention of children and conditions of detention constitute breaches of Article 7 (Crimes Against Humanity) of the Rome Statute, the treaty that governs the jurisdiction of the ICC.

“The Abbott Government’s conduct in relation to asylum seekers also contravenes the Refugee Convention, Convention on the Rights of the Child and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.

“The Government is pandering to racism, xenophobia and selfishness instead of acting like leaders. This is why I’ve asked the Prosecutor to initiate an investigation into the Prime Minister and the Cabinet because, if they won’t listen to the swathe of community outrage, then hopefully they’ll listen to the International Criminal Court.”

ಥ_ಥ - - - - - - - - - - - -ಠ_

"She was like a candle in the wind... unreliable."
Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
More cooler than a dolphin
Let's hug me

Hal Jordan +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Is trist being sarcastic, or does he honestly believe that the sole measure of the minister's performance is stopping boats?

As much as I argue with trist, I'm sure he's being sarcastic. If not he's buying into the psychopathic hemisphere of the Liberal Party.

I get the feeling that LP Ministers are concerned about him too. The danger of Morrison in my opinion is he looks like a mealy mouthed Mr Slightly-Below-Average. But there is burning megalomania in that man and they know it.
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
<
I agree. He truly horrifies me in a way even Abbott, Pyne or Bernardi do not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdoodle View Post

not liking yoda is like knocking back a root when presented nude in a YD change room

Quote:

Originally Posted by mischa21 View Post

^mmmm all this talk of meat is getting me excited.

CheelWinston +

not a cop

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,172 Posts
Morrison is very much in the frame to replace Tolan one day. Him and J Bish.

I'm sure what Trist means by 'effective' is that Morrison has made the problem of asylum seekers more or less go away.

He may not have actually solved anything and the method for 'stopping the boats' may be completely unethical, and a large part of his 'success' may be due to secrecy and a compliant media taking the issue off the table... But the average tele reader who no longer hears about boats every day thinks he's doing a top job aye ****.
Listen to your friend Cheely Zane
He is a cool guy...
jarrardscott +

I start arguments then blame everyone else, and now I have this shitty My Little Pony icon

Times thanked
<
Thanked 5,000 Times in 2,101 Posts
Spot on on calling morrison a megolomaniac.

no better word to describe him. and thats why he scares people. If he was PM people would see him as a dictator.
liberabit +

One of these days you'll wake up dead

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,923 Posts
Media Player
This is no love song and it serves no use, but if you want to sing along to some verbal abuse
It might make you feel better and it's good for the soul, take four letters and let's rock n roll
mogmac +

Times thanked
<
so, the people smugglers' (i strongly dispute its a single homogenous group) business model has been broken or replace? no more deaths at sea (?) http://www.theguardian.com/global-de...ohingya-people

what are peoples' thoughts? where do we go from here? deaths arent stopping. we arent saving lives. we are promoting the interference with the right to flee persecution

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...o-your-country

what do people think?

i really cant see why labor arent taking the high ground on this. coalition have been silent. is that who australia is now?
dementruck +

magic crappens

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,111 Times in 585 Posts
i nearly cried when i read saw that indonesia and malaysia are following in our footsteps. i've been working in this industry for too long - i can't do it anymore. i was hoping things would get better but they just get worse.
nah mate
Hal Jordan +

Times thanked
<
It's all very ugly.
base615 +

base, proud, shallow, beggarly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,589 Times in 1,167 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mogmac View Post

is that who australia is now?

This is who Australia has been since Howard successfully demonised Asylum Seekers in the minds of bogan Australians.

It's a fucking disgrace.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaVeR_SpIkE View Post

all i can say is fuck you ref you fuckhead

SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by dementruck View Post

i nearly cried when i read saw that indonesia and malaysia are following in our footsteps. i've been working in this industry for too long - i can't do it anymore. i was hoping things would get better but they just get worse.

Don't even start reading comments threads on the Rohingya migrant crisis... I swear you will lose all faith in humanity. Some of the stuff I'm reading from Australuans is downright chilling. It's the prelude to the holocaust all over again.
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts
Reports I'm hearing from,Thailand is they're doing the same.

The Indonesians are whinging they don't have enough food for all the refugees and will run out soon.
dementruck +

magic crappens

Times thanked
<
^the government of Aceh is whinging... it's a bit different
nah mate
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
<
Aceh is semi-autonomous right? I figure they've got a right to whinge to Jakarta for more resources at least.
Hal Jordan +

Times thanked
<
Meanwhile the Philippines has said it will take them, the President simply saying as a signatory to the convention it is obliged to accept them.
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
<
Thanked 17,049 Times in 7,537 Posts
http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...apped-on-boats

Yep shame on Australia.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
<
Meanwhile Abbott says we won't take any of them because they're trying to "come through the back door". Cause they should've just rocked up to the friendly Australian consul in Rakine State and handed over their non-existent citizenship papers, right?
Whenever you think Tolan can't go any lower, he outdoes himself. Utter ****.
Geezah +

Raaaaaaaaaaaaarrghh

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,844 Times in 1,176 Posts
Man, I am so fucking depressed about this country's treatment (and by treatment I don't just mean putting them in jail, I mean also the language we use to talk about "them") of asylum seekers. I'm even more depressed by the fact that there are certain sections of Australian society who would've cheered at hearing Abbott talk smack about poor, peasant people being told to fuck off back where they came from.

The fact that there will be those that will get off on Abbott's comments and his governments "border security" measures (and Labor can go get fucked too on that score) makes me wonder what it even means to be a national of Australia, let alone any other country, when they are so worshipful of such a grimly putrescent worldview: I mean other than being an Australian citizen I have absolutely nothing in common with those whose values are the complete opposite to my own.

It can't be that fucking hard, even if one honestly has a harsher view on the treatment of asylum seekers, not to completely fucking dehumanise them by making them out to be criminals and criminally minded.

It's disgusting bullshit.
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
<
At least Labor have broken ranks a bit on this latest issue, Shorten criticised Abbotts comments, albeit rather softly.
mogmac +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Meanwhile Abbott says we won't take any of them because they're trying to "come through the back door". Cause they should've just rocked up to the friendly Australian consul in Rakine State and handed over their non-existent citizenship papers, right?
Whenever you think Tolan can't go any lower, he outdoes himself. Utter ****.

well, with Thailand and Malaysia being the closest place to get status determined (i think- i might be wrong about that), and them exercising the 'sovereign right', there no countries in the region where they can get their status determined, where is the front door?

https://rsdwatch.wordpress.com/where-unhcr-rsd-happens/

its like locking the front door and then refusing entry because they tried to come in the back.

Last edited by mogmac: 21-May-15 at 09:43pm

Hal Jordan +

Times thanked
<
I think other countries in the region should be completely embarrassed by Philippines saying the doors are open... I think that actually echoes the Philippine spirit.
mogmac +

Times thanked
<
especially interesting because the philippines has a islamist separatist movement and they let in muslim asylum seekers. or maybe thats the point. either way, good on the philippines.

where's the devil's advocate (trist)? i want to hear someone try to defend it.
mogmac +

Times thanked
<
on a side note...

this was posted on ASEAN's FB page.

The ‪#‎Philippines‬ says its ready to refuge the "boat people" in Asian seas. It also open it arms to Jewish people during the Holocaust and on 70's for Vietnamese during the Vietnam war. The Philippines is one of the signatory of UN Human rights and UN Refugee convention

wonder how true it is...
Hal Jordan +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

on a side note...

this was posted on ASEAN's FB page.

The ‪#‎Philippines‬ says its ready to refuge the "boat people" in Asian seas. It also open it arms to Jewish people during the Holocaust and on 70's for Vietnamese during the Vietnam war. The Philippines is one of the signatory of UN Human rights and UN Refugee convention

wonder how true it is...

Yes, both are true.

Regarding the Islamic separatists the Philippines government has been trying to broker peace, although a recent botched terror raid set that back a bit. By the way, the main group is the Moro Islamic Liberation Front, or MILF, which makes for some hilarious headlines.

Despite Philippines' goodwill, I have to say I think refugees would find life pretty hard in the Philippines, they certainly wouldn't have the opportunities they have in Australia. But if they are prepared to work for less than $10 a day with no days off I'm sure they'll find a sweatshop to work in, and possibly somewhere not too hostile to live.

Maybe they could get a job in a place like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentex_...r_factory_fire
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
<
As some of them have come from Bangaladesh, I figure their expectations re sweatshop conditions are pretty low. The Rohingya will probably just settle for not being harassed.
dementruck +

magic crappens

Times thanked
<
will be interesting to see how this plays out. i would love to see some compassion spreading through the region.
nah mate
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Morrison would do well to come out in support of resettling a very minor amount of refugees. It puts him at odds with Abbott, makes him look more stately and in this instance, considering all the dicking around and position changing of our asian neighbours would probably only lose the most extreme of rednecks.

you know... if you're going to continue just putting aside people's lives yet again and use them for political point scoring.
step on my cubes.
dementruck +

magic crappens

Times thanked
<
it's not morrison's call anymore and i don't think anyone can see dutton doing anything remotely controversial within the party.
nah mate
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
exactly why Morrison would, he's completely out of the loop and can just sprout his opinion to further his leadership platform.
step on my cubes.
dementruck +

magic crappens

Times thanked
<
but he won't, considering how aggressively he worked towards 'stopping the boats' and all that shit. it would be a net loss for him because he'd be backtracking on his previous core promises.
nah mate
mogmac +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by dementruck View Post

i would love to see some compassion spreading through the region.

unfortunately I see tone's rhetoric about smugglers, traffickers and economic migrants (as pretext to deny asylum seeker/ refugee rights) spreading too.

An op-ed by some Minister of the Office of the President of Myanmar. Note the language.

" The crisis caused by human trafficking and smuggling will not go away soon. Nor will the crippling poverty and hopelessness that drive individuals to embrace extreme risks on the road for a chance at a better life."

http://asia.nikkei.com/Politics-Econ...-is-the-answer

Also, spacemonkey, (as fa as my understanding goes) Rohingya will be happy (im using happy because Hal Jordan is right that life will be difficult there) to be able to move outside of a camp and to have legal rights.
Hal Jordan +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Also, spacemonkey, (as fa as my understanding goes) Rohingya will be happy (im using happy because Hal Jordan is right that life will be difficult there) to be able to move outside of a camp and to have legal rights.

Technically yes. And they certainly won't get persecuted for being muslim, Philippines makes religious tolerance a core social value (possibly because it means more holidays to celebrate), but the idea of legal rights in the Philippines is debatable. The person with the most money has the strongest rights. If you live in the Philippines without family ties and without money you are very alone.

Nonetheless it makes the Australian government look so shabby. Abbott is now ramping up the xenophobia card for the next election.
dementruck +

magic crappens

Times thanked
<
politically speaking, i would have assumed that all the oxygen from the xenophobe campaign was gone, given that 'the boats have been stopped' etc. surely they can't platform on that again?
nah mate
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
It's the gift that keeps on giving...

We fixed the towel head queue jumpers, we did, we done on damn fixed it. We're fixers.
Hal Jordan +

Times thanked
<
I'm sure they'll find a way:

How to spot a Jihadi at school

I think you poor souls are going to be bombarded with a ramping up xenophobia strategy from now to the election:

Government plans to strip Australian terrorists of citizenship

Last edited by Hal Jordan: 24-May-15 at 03:09pm

horst +

Times thanked
<
Ross Gittins on how media politicians and the public, cursed by focus groups are to blame for this in equal measures.
http://www.smh.com.au/business/the-e...24-gh8irn.html
Hal Jordan +

Times thanked
<
Oh what a surprise

abbott says stopping terrorists like stopping the boats
dementruck +

magic crappens

Times thanked
<

i'm really sick of hearing the phrase 'islamist death cult' as well. c'mon man!
nah mate
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Interesting read....

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/tony-a...29-ghcuxf.html
CheelWinston +

not a cop

Times thanked
<

A whole bunch of backbenchers came out in support of Abbott's proposal today

I get the feeling there will be a story about terror/borders/boats/ice or a combination of those, every day until the election
He is a cool guy...
CheelWinston +

not a cop

Times thanked
<
Haha

Amidst all this I decided to see if the story was on the Tele website

A search of 'cabinet leak' only has one story since 2010, out of over 9000 (yes over nine thousand) hits.

It was related to work for the dole stuff, not this citizenship stuff
He is a cool guy...
Page 23 of 23

« Previous Thread Next Thread »