Sport and Fitness

Rock Climbing.

Page 1 of 3
  Tools
jarrardscott +

I start arguments then blame everyone else, and now I have this shitty My Little Pony icon

Times thanked
<
Thanked 5,000 Times in 2,101 Posts
Rock Climbing.
Anyone into it?

I've opted to do climbing instead of the gym, been going quiet often, getting my own harness soon.

been doing the indoor center in brookvale. very keen on checking out the st peters and st leanoards.
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
<
Thanked 17,049 Times in 7,537 Posts
Used to climb loads, haven't been in years. climbing gyms are so fucking expensive these days.

I still use my chalk bag for lifting though

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

Bism +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 18,335 Times in 7,068 Posts
Spiderjarrard.
moggle +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bism

Rock-Spiderjarrard.

Fixed.

Used to climb lots as a kid and had all the gear but haven't climbed seriously since I was 13 or so
DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,043 Times in 1,073 Posts
J-rod, I can't read your post because I have you on ignore because you are an annoying little twerp. Based on that, I offer you this advice in regards to climbing: don't.

Hope that's helpful.
jarrardscott +

I start arguments then blame everyone else, and now I have this shitty My Little Pony icon

Times thanked
<
whatever

would love to go to EICA Ratho in edinburgh

look at this place!

pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,661 Times in 2,288 Posts
i love watching this, the zoom out at 1:05 just blows my mind everytime

Media Player

But i guess once you're over 10 meters up its all the same anyway
Spoiler:

Quote:

Originally Posted by borrisGLOWSTICK View Post

Life trainwreck stories, bewbs, mod angering drug implicated posts and 2fast2furious only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mliro View Post

that’s terrible spastic
also I would imagine a little disheartening that he has never attempted to drug rape you?

Oarsome +

Times thanked
<
Love indoor climbing used to go quite often to the edge at syd uni, its small but the guy that runs it lets you put your own ipod tunes on the stereo. Makes me want to go climbing now, but need another climbing buddy
peacefulwarrior +

Times thanked
<
My wife and I have been really getting into climbing. Started on the indoor stuff and are lucky enough to know a couple of people who climb alot and have all their own gear so we go with them alot too. Love it.
P337 +

is a carrot

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,936 Times in 1,589 Posts
I climb @ st leonards with my best mate. We also climb up at Barrenjoey (rocks back from palm beach) and also on some of the outdoor climbs off wakehurst parkway. Then there's the trips down south and the blue mountains.....but that's another story.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morphee View Post

I read everyone's posts.

Even yours pee three three seven.

Garthyboy +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott

whatever

would love to go to EICA Ratho in edinburgh

look at this place!

Trust me, if you went to Edinburgh you wouldn't be climbing anywhere....you would be drunk in the 100's of pubs around town or taking in amazing sites of the town.
Such a great town, I had such a blast
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
<
trust me, if i went to edinburgh, i would go rock climbing there.
trust me
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by P337

I climb @ st leonards with my best mate. We also climb up at Barrenjoey (rocks back from palm beach) and also on some of the outdoor climbs off wakehurst parkway. Then there's the trips down south and the blue mountains.....but that's another story.

climbing @ barrenjoey and wakehurst parkway?

details please.

do you need your own gear or is there actually indoor or outdoor centers?
dart +

marching up and down the square

Times thanked
<
went to the banff film festival the other night (it's touring around australia well worth checking out if you get a chance), there was a short film on Alex Honnold, who solo climbed (without ropes) the half dome in yosemite national park.

fucking nerve wracking viewing, it's a 600m cliff, no ropes, one slip, you die.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half_Dome
Full Frequency Wednesdays on RTR FM 92.1 ~ www.rtrfm.com.au

www.inthemix.com.au/forum ~ known troublemaker
Oblivia +

An entangled inebriate.

Times thanked
<
I used to climb every week when I was in college, and went out on the weekends quite a bit. Mostly did sport climbing but also some natural lead climbing. I remember a scary 3 pitch climb at Mt Arapalies, setting up protection in this tiny crack of a cave that I couldn't sit in properly, cause it was too short. I am kinda scared of heights, but I love it anyways.

I think the hardest climbs I ever got up was like a 21, but leading it was way less than that. If I didn't have a shoulder that dislocated at the drop of a hat I would love to go again.

Edit; Ha ha! The power of the internet! This is the climb! These people are climbing the crack, but we climbed up the face past it. The first pitch ended in the little cave at the bottom, just below the horizon line. I had to lean my head out while the 2nd and 3rd came up, then led up to the bigger cave you can see. It was kinda windy so by the time it was my turn to climb up out of there I was a fair bit shaky and scared. It was awesome!
Likes bright colours, dancing, soft fabrics.
Flickr

Last edited by Oblivia: 02-May-10 at 11:41pm

DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oblivia

Edit; Ha ha! The power of the internet! This is the climb! These people are climbing the crack, but we climbed up the face past it. The first pitch ended in the little cave at the bottom, just below the horizon line. I had to lean my head out while the 2nd and 3rd came up, then led up to the bigger cave you can see. It was kinda windy so by the time it was my turn to climb up out of there I was a fair bit shaky and scared. It was awesome!

I assume you mean the face around the arete to the left Watchtower Crack? It's Arachnus, a three star gr. 8.
locky +

Times thanked
<
Im an avid indoor climber..Go to St leonards and St peters regularly
Oblivia +

An entangled inebriate.

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuncanM

I assume you mean the face around the arete to the left Watchtower Crack? It's Arachnus, a three star gr. 8.

The name does sound familiar. I don't remember it being hard, just scary. But mostly that's cause it was my first natural, multi pitch lead climb. It was also over 10 years ago.

Yep, this looks familiar
Flickr
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
<
got this yesterday

http://www.petzl.com/us/outdoor/moun...rnesses-0/sama
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
<
did my first 'hard' overhang climb yesterday at the center.

mrricky +

Times thanked
<
Oh...love to, used to climb , but now very busy with work. hectic schedules at office. Rock climbing for the interested ones are a great stress buster and a good physical work out. will take time off go rock climbing ...soon...yeah!
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
<
that hurt.
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oblivia

I used to climb every week when I was in college, and went out on the weekends quite a bit. Mostly did sport climbing but also some natural lead climbing. I remember a scary 3 pitch climb at Mt Arapalies, setting up protection in this tiny crack of a cave that I couldn't sit in properly, cause it was too short. I am kinda scared of heights, but I love it anyways.

I think the hardest climbs I ever got up was like a 21, but leading it was way less than that. If I didn't have a shoulder that dislocated at the drop of a hat I would love to go again.

im guessing a 21 due to the sheer length of the climb and the stamina involved?

i got no idea the ratings of the place i go to.
the walls are labelled between easy and desperate.

easy
medium
medium hard
hard
very hard
desperate.

i usually do medium hard - hard. only been doing it for a few months now but definately noticing improvements.

i'd love to get into outdoor climbing, would have to get heaps of my own gear first though.

want to check out wakehurst parkway steep side and barrenjoey.

north head seems to have some insane climbs but not quiet ready for that haha. think i'll start off on smaller climbs.
Oblivia +

An entangled inebriate.

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott

im guessing a 21 due to the sheer length of the climb and the stamina involved?

No, I didn't ever do really long climbs. It was cause the holds were small.
Flickr
crzie +

Times thanked
<
im just getting in to this at ECAT in wetherill park, been a couple of times before, but need a hobby. just bought a hemp chalk bag for bouldering for $25, which is cheap from http://www.flashed.com.au/ thought i'd share for other aspiring climbers looking for cheap gear. their currently on special till the 4th of June so hurry up and get ur orders in.
rayjay +

freebird

Times thanked
<
yawn. wear more jockstraps.

i used to climb, then it got too hard. srsly, i recon there's a ceiling for how good you can get unless you're unusually muscley/spider-like/skinny/double-jointed
****ing up laundry threads since '05
peacefulwarrior +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayjay

yawn. wear more jockstraps.

i used to climb, then it got too hard. srsly, i recon there's a ceiling for how good you can get unless you're unusually muscley/spider-like/skinny/double-jointed

Generally speaking there is a ceiling for how good you can get at anything.
P337 +

is a carrot

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,936 Times in 1,589 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayjay

I used to climb, then it got too hard. srsly, i recon there's a ceiling for how good you can get unless you're unusually muscley/spider-like/skinny/double-jointed

When I used to climb I had a fair amount of strength but I'm naturally a big bloke (6'3") and I've weighed about ~92kg for the last few years. My climbing buddy was a spiderman guy that was skinny as all shit, not overtly muscle by a long shot, though had wicked power to weight ratio.

I could launch myself further for hard grabs due to the strength difference, though due to my natural height + weight I used to have endurance issues late in a climb.

Sure there's ways I could build up my climbing endurance but simple physics says that Force = Mass X Gravity (F=mg). Therefore the force pulling me down to the ground was always going to be about 1.5 times that of my mate.

edit: This was me aged 19 at about my climbing peak (the non-asian guy). I'm 23 now and more or less the same size now but I've put on about ~5kg (muscle or fat).

[the beachball is that way -->]
Spoiler:

In saying all of that, I'd be keen as shit if anyone in Sydney wanted to go for a local outdoor climb. I wouldn't mind at least getting back into it casually.

Edit: I'll show you wakehurst parkway some time if you want Jarrad?

one of my mates on a wall off wakehurst parkway, there's quite a few different climbs. very beginner friendly.

Spoiler:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morphee View Post

I read everyone's posts.

Even yours pee three three seven.

Last edited by P337: 01-Jun-10 at 08:55am

tapout +

tapout 1, utes 0.

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,335 Times in 1,469 Posts
My hands are getting sweaty again just reading this thread!
crzie +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by P337

My climbing buddy was a spiderman guy that was skinny as all shit, not overtly muscle by a long shot, though had wicked power to weight ratio.

yeah the small ****s seem to climb pretty well, if they know what their doing.
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by P337 View Post

When I used to climb I had a fair amount of strength but I'm naturally a big bloke (6'3") and I've weighed about ~92kg for the last few years. My climbing buddy was a spiderman guy that was skinny as all shit, not overtly muscle by a long shot, though had wicked power to weight ratio.

I could launch myself further for hard grabs due to the strength difference, though due to my natural height + weight I used to have endurance issues late in a climb.

Sure there's ways I could build up my climbing endurance but simple physics says that Force = Mass X Gravity (F=mg). Therefore the force pulling me down to the ground was always going to be about 1.5 times that of my mate.

edit: This was me aged 19 at about my climbing peak (the non-asian guy). I'm 23 now and more or less the same size now but I've put on about ~5kg (muscle or fat).

[the beachball is that way -->]

Spoiler:

In saying all of that, I'd be keen as shit if anyone in Sydney wanted to go for a local outdoor climb. I wouldn't mind at least getting back into it casually.

Edit: I'll show you wakehurst parkway some time if you want Jarrad?

one of my mates on a wall off wakehurst parkway, there's quite a few different climbs. very beginner friendly.

Spoiler:

yeah i'd love to go wakehurst except me and my mates i go climbing with dont have any gear (besides shoes, harness and chalk bags.)

havent really given lead climbing a crack yet either, theyre all top rope climbs at my local center.

in other news, read up and think i know how to avoid my arms getting so bloody pumped every time i climb
DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

in other news, read up and think i know how to avoid my arms getting so bloody pumped every time i climb

It's because your technique is shit.
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
<
nah its because i get a build up of lactic acid due to me not distributing my weight and tension on my muscles back and forth as im mostly a static climber.

my distributing my weight back and forth, and pulsing those muscles more, it allows for more oxygenated blood into my forearms and they wont get as pumped as easily.
DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
That's what I said. Your technique is shit. Did you get that horseshit from rockclimbing.com? That website is rammed with clueless asshats - you'll fit right in there.
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
<
lol wtf is all this shit for.

ease up man.

and no, i didnt get it from there.

you block me because im a twerp yet you act this way and i havent done anything bad here?
DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
Here's a tip: you're new and your technique IS shit. You kick the wall and drag your feet. You get scared and over-grip. Wherever you got that garbage about being a static climber, forget it, it's bullshit. Shaking out will help get rid of lactic acid, swaying around like a fucking douche will not. Learn to grip lightly, use your feet and just climb more, your tolerance for the pump will increase.
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
<
how the hell did you get all that

i dont kick the wall and drag my feet. i aim to use quiet feet.
i understand what dynamic and static climbing is and i tend to have a more static style. and yes i understand sometimes you need to use a dyno or a static move in particular so its best to try and train in areas you're not as good at.

i dont overgrip, i however dont extend my arms as much as i should and i will in the future.

when your muscle is at 50% tension, it blocks off flow of oxygenated blood to your muscle. now if you change what arm is holding your weight back and forth you release the tension on it slightly for a second whilst the other arm takes the weight.

this actually helps to prevent your body from building up lactic acid because the oxygenated blood hasnt stopped, its still coming in dribs and drabs.

i dont understand how you can tell me what ive done wrong when youve never seen me climb and i havent explained it either.

i understand shaking out helps too and i will do that more.
it doesnt 'get rid' of lactic acid anyway, it speeds the process of your body removing it.

i dont get scared too man, dont know where you got all that shit.

you're just being an asshole for no reason, i created a thread on climbing for people to discuss it and you decide to have a spaz fit at me.

chill out and calm down and stop being a dick.

so please, pipe up stop being a **** and act normal.
RunningWithScissors +

COMMUNIST PARTY OF ITM

Times thanked
<
Thanked 20,415 Times in 7,540 Posts
i know the first three numbers
DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
I've given you some excellent advice. You just don't know enough to know how little you know.
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
<
that doesnt even make sense.

and no you havent given me ANY advise, dont think you're all that special

everything you've mentioned, i know and have discovered on my own accord before you said anything.

ANYWAY enough with this stupid crap.

i'll gladly take on board advise with outdoor climbing. what gear i should buy, or if there is any clubs in sydney that i could join and borrow gear etc.

and be nice about it lols. no reason to be so savy

Last edited by jarrardscott: 08-Jun-10 at 04:14pm

jarrardscott +

Times thanked
<
looking at getting a crash pad and noticed how thin they are.
wow.

12 cm is the thickest i could find.
and that was 580 bucks or something.
GEEZ
DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
Black Diamond Drop Zone ftw.
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
<
yeah i saw them, bit exxy.

you got one?

how are the crash pads anyway?
im guessing it still hurts a bit and you can get winded but its not nearly as bad as landing on hard ground?
base615 +

base, proud, shallow, beggarly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,589 Times in 1,167 Posts
Used to be into bouldering in a big way so have fallen many times onto crash pads and they're pretty good. You do get winded if you're highballing a bit but having missed the mat a number of times it's definately less of a winding with the mat than without. Of course you could also have someone spotting for you but I stupidly used to go solo most of the time so missed out on that luxury.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaVeR_SpIkE View Post

all i can say is fuck you ref you fuckhead

jarrardscott +

Times thanked
<
we're thinking of going halves in a crash pad or something, come out with us some time if you want
DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
With pads you get what you paid for. Black Diamond bought out a company called Franklin in about 2004 or so, but their crash pad designs (the Mondo and Drop Zone) haven't changed. My Franklin Drop Zone is more that 6 years old and still going strong. Light, well designed, good harness and bombproof buckles. I had a Tools of the Adventure Stunt pad (I think - the small TOTA pad) before that, and it got beat to shit in no time. Plus TOTA pads are HEAVY. I've heard good things about Flashed and Revolution pads too, but haven't used them myself. I don't know if Revolution gear is even available in Australia, actually.
base615 +

base, proud, shallow, beggarly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave

Times thanked
<
I had a Tools of the Adventure and liked it. I had the biggest one they do and you're right, it was heavy but I found the foam to be really good quality dense stuff. I also found it stood up to plenty of punishment. I used it 3 or 4 days a week for 3 years and it was still going strong.

J-Rod, cheers for the offer but I'm out fo it these days mate, you'd have to be pretty strong to haul my new weight around and my fingers wouldn't take it

I'm back in training after my op so maybe when I get a bit fitter and lose some weight.

Quote:

DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
Yeah, I've lugged both TOTA pads around, and they're not nearly as good as the BD pads. It'll do the job, but they're poorly designed and heavy. The buckles in particular are rubbish, they're too easy to lose. Drop Zones and Mondos are the gold standard, and worth the extra coin.
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
<
so is it def worth buying one then making it myself?

id imagine if you got three layers of foam (soft, medium and high density foams) and a good nylon to cover it, my mate does ute covers so he would get it cheap and be able to put it on and waterproof it, you could make one thicker and cheaper possibly?

or is there something im missing.

i'm all for getting a good exxy one and going in with some mates if its worth it. just wanted some opinions.

thanks for the advice btw very helpful
base615 +

Times thanked
<
I reckon you'd find it harder than you think to make a decent one. It could be done but when I looked into it, the foam was pretty expensive anyway and you'd probably end up wishing you'd just bought a proper one.

Quote:

Page 1 of 3

« Previous Thread Next Thread »