Slow Cooker = Love

Tools
kanni +

in za mikkusu ^-^

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by baax View Post

Ever had corned beef? That's what silverside is.
Had it with cauliflower, beans, carrots and a cheese sauce, very nice

nope I haven't hey! lol... being Japanese prob has something to do with it =P
baax +

Times thanked
<
It's a different flavor that's for sure, I'd try some first before you tried it on for dinner, or have a back up dinner ready to go just in case.
SOUNDCLOUD

MIXCLOUD
Weinertron +

random shoutbox generator

Times thanked
<
Last night I started making a beef bourguignon. Just-a like-a mama used to make.

Gonna give it a full 24 hours on low... just had a taste and
Fuck Everything Forever
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
24 hours?!?! What cut of meat did you use/what size are the pieces?

Corned beef is an odd one...most deli's have it with the ham and schizz, cheap way to try it before buying a big hunk of meat

So good with mustard sauce!
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
Weinertron +

Times thanked
<
Can't remember the name of the cut... my sister bought it for me and said "bung it on for a good while". about 4-5cm pieces. But I just had a small bowl and I think it's ready anyway. Melt in the mouth yo. Just gonna chuck it on "keep warm" till the missus gets home.

I, too, have never ever tried silverside... I think there was some kind of silverside-scare back in the 90s which has stuck with me... people being poisoned by a bad batch of silverside?? am I going crazy? did this actually happen?
Fuck Everything Forever
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
No idea...I remember not liking it because it's quite a strong/odd flavour, and it's a "poor persons" meat and mum used to force it upon us coz we was broke ass...so did the kid thing of just disliking it for the sake of disliking it really...but tried it in adult life and it's pretty decent!

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

Weinertron +

Times thanked
<
lol @ poor people meat. I am surprised I've never tried it... mum used to force heaps of that eastern europe peasant garbage and I hated it. As soon as I moved out of home, I couldn't fucking get enough of it!

Peasant food = win
Fuck Everything Forever
grapsta +

8 pinballs at the courthouse...yeeeeah

Times thanked
<
hating corned beef as a kid is pretty common...it does have a different taste. My mum made a decent corned beef with mustard sauce...i think most mums did in the 80s...right up there with the ham and cheese stuffed schnitzel
grapsta +

Times thanked
<
DArley Rd Bistro in Newtown used to do a good corned beef
baax +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi View Post

No idea...I remember not liking it because it's quite a strong/odd flavour, and it's a "poor persons" meat

Tongue entree to complete the pauper meal
SOUNDCLOUD

MIXCLOUD
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Keen to try tongue, I like most things these days and with weinerton, pauper cheap shit is awesome! Tongue looks like it would be right up my alley

Weinertron +

Times thanked
<
Ox tongue is the fucking bizniss. I've only ever had it at Korean BBQ but OOOHH MYYY GOD

Anyway, the Beef Bourguignon was a roaring success. Even my dad said it was "not bad" which is the highest endorsement he ever gives anything. It was supposed to last me through the weekend, but I think I've got like 2 serves left. :fatkhunt:

So now I'm itching for another round with Mr. Slow cooker... anyone got any tried and tested beef recipes? I know I can probably google this shit, but youse ITMers ****s seem to have good taste (I got like 6 kgs of beef in the freezer I need to get through! )

NB: on the subject of peasant food, any of you eastern euro carnts know of Halushky? They're basically like a peasant gnocchi sorta... sort of like a pasta replacement, and the perfect accompaniment to any casserole. You need this special kinda colander thing to make em, but they are impossible to buy in Australia, and mine is starting to get fucked up (I've had to solder it together like 5 times now)

Hang on I'll post a photo
Fuck Everything Forever
Weinertron +

Times thanked
<
Halushky. Easiest shit ever. Flour, eggs, water -> dough -> chuck it in the "colander" -> squeeze it through with a wooden spoon into a big pot of boiling water -> wait till they float (about 1 minute) -> remove with slotted spoon and voila. Tasty as fuck. can make many variants (traditionally you chuck in a bit of potato mash with it too, then finish it with bacon and brinzu (kinda like a salty feta, make of sheeps milk)), sometimes I put in some cornflour. Best accompaniment to a slow cooker ever

BUT you need one of these.

I cannot for the life of me find one online or in any cooking shops. I don't even know what the searching term is. Mum just calls it a Halushky maker. Whenever Dad comes back from a jaunt in Slovakia, he comes back with this other plastic shit house model which simply doesn't do the job and makes a fucking horrible mess. ugh.

Save me ITM Kenobi. You're my only hope
Fuck Everything Forever
Anselm +

objects to ITMbook

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,626 Times in 978 Posts
I've got a potato ricer with holes that big I think.

Quote:

Originally Posted by richmondtigers

His father had a sex change when his mum wanted a kid.

He mutilated his vagina not long afterwards.

To this day it is still in bad shape.

Weinertron +

Times thanked
<
potato ricer, eh?

Brand? Photos? The holes are about 10-11mm or so.
Fuck Everything Forever
kanni +

in za mikkusu ^-^

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weinertron View Post

Ox tongue is the fucking bizniss. I've only ever had it at Korean BBQ but OOOHH MYYY GOD

I love ox and beef tongue as well, so tasty at yakitori places in Japan mmm ^-^
Anselm +

objects to ITMbook

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weinertron View Post

potato ricer, eh?

Brand? Photos? The holes are about 10-11mm or so.

It's a bit like this http://www.yourhomedepot.com.au/prod...pecialty-tools

But I don't think even the biggest plate has holes that big

Quote:

Weinertron +

Times thanked
<
yeah nah, good try though, thanks Anselm.

Finding the right sized holes is the key, and they don't seem to exist. I've checked a few potato ricers and its a nah I'm afraid

Looks like I'll just have to keep soldering till the thing dies. (or until I get to Europe)
Fuck Everything Forever
grapsta +

Times thanked
<
surely someone must import those suckers
Weinertron +

Times thanked
<
You'd think so, but I've lived in easterneuroland (east st Kilda) for 25 years and that would probably be the most likely place to buy em.

If I import em, would youse ****s buy em? ITM rates for all (ie.. Gouge)
Anselm +

objects to ITMbook

Times thanked
<
Got the movida pyrenees lamb on right now... Smell is out of this world
grapsta +

Times thanked
<
i think you just need to get busy with a drill
jarrardscott +

I start arguments then blame everyone else, and now I have this shitty My Little Pony icon

Times thanked
<
Thanked 5,000 Times in 2,101 Posts
doing a spicy lamb casserole tonight
kanni +

in za mikkusu ^-^

Times thanked
<
making osso bucco tomorrow ^-^
grapsta +

Times thanked
<
i think i am too

yesterday made a beef stew...only had a small amount of leftover beef so it was superfast prep ...turned out to be one of the best beef stews I've made ....and I've made at least 40-50 on the last 2 years. I'm hoping the secret was the balsamic which I added for first time - and not the fact that I cooked in casserole dish in oven rather than slow cooker
kanni +

in za mikkusu ^-^

Times thanked
<
since we got a 5 in 1 cooker (pressure/slow/rice cooker, steamer & electric pot) my bf decided to buy a kit to turn our old slow cooker into a sous vide rig ^-^ can't wait to try it out!
grapsta +

Times thanked
<
Thinking about buying a 2nd smaller slow cooker so can cook polenta at same time as beef stews....can't emphasies enough how nice polenta is with a stew if the polenta is cooked right and is good quality polenta.. I urge all you slow cookers out there to give it a go . Be nice to be able to do 2 Indian curries in 2 slow cookers too. GF tells me we don't have room for 2..stuff it I'm making room
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Polenta is gross tho

Dumplings all the way! Though I don't know if they work in a slow cooker, anyone ever tried it? lol

grapsta +

Times thanked
<
polenta is gross if you use the instant kind and cook it quickly. ...if you use a good polenta and cook it slow with parmesan and other cheeses and chilli flakes and stock its awesome. like mash but better
emskina +

StKE

Times thanked
<
I love polenta, it is amazing when done well and kind of epitomises what slow cooking is all about. Amazing stews on proper polenta, yum!
grapsta +

Times thanked
<
experimenting today with slow cooking some beef in master stock. ..then straining and stir frying. Inspired by the ribs dish in this great article :

http://gourmettraveller.com.au/cheap-cut-recipes.htm
little_brad +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,997 Times in 2,426 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi View Post

Yo yo...so got some friends coming over for dinner on Friday, going to do Movida's Beef Cheeks...anyone here done them before?

1.5 kh beef cheeks
125 ml olive oil
3 carrots, roughly chopped
1 garlic bulb, halved
1 brown onion, sliced
500 ml Pedro Ximenez Sherry
500 ml red wine
3 bay leaves
3 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
1 teaspoon salt
1 head cauliflower, broken into florets
185 ml cream
40 grams butter

1.Trim the beef cheeks to neaten them up and remove any new sinew and silver skin. Season well.

2.Heat half the olive oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over high heat. Brown the beef cheeks for 2 minutes on each side, or until golden, then remove from the pan.

3.Add the remaining olive oil, then add the carrot, garlic, onion and saute over high heat for 12 to 15 minutes, or until well browned. Stir in the sherry, wine, bay leaves, thyme, sea salt and 500 ml water. Reduce the heat as low as possible, add the beef cheeks, then cover and cook for 3 to 4 hours, or until the cheeks are beginning to fall apart.

4.Meanwhile, put the cauliflower, cream and butter in a saucepan, season to taste with salt, then cover and cook over low heat for 35 minutes, or until very tender. Place the cauliflower mixture in a blender and process until smooth. Keep the puree warm.

5.The sauce from the beef cheeks should by now be reduced and glaze like. It if needs further reducing, remove the cheeks from the pan, cover with foil to keep them warm, and simmer the sauce over high heat until nicely reduced. Strain the sauce through a fine sieve and return to the pan; gently reheat the cheeks in the sauce if necessary.

6.Serve the cheeks and their sauce on warm plates with the cauliflower puree.

Just wondering about serving sizes, how big, grams-wise, is a beek cheek? Does one need 2 or is 1 enough as part of a nibbles first, salad and the puree with main, and dessert after

going to do the cheeks on friday, looking forward to them! question - what type of red wine do you put in it? merlot or cab sav or something?
Anselm +

objects to ITMbook

Times thanked
<
I used shiraz... But it shouldn't matter too much.

Make sure you give yourself plenty of time, more than likely you'll need to reduce the liquid by itself at the end to get it properly intense and sticky.
little_brad +

Times thanked
<
Sweet, planning on putting it on all day then I'll start reducing the sauce when I get home
Anselm +

objects to ITMbook

Times thanked
<
I gave it 8 hours at 100 and it still required heaps of reducing after I took the meat out.

Pretty great recipe though
grapsta +

Times thanked
<
made a great vege n lentil curry in the slow cooker tonight. Might have to try a few more vegetarian dishes
Anselm +

objects to ITMbook

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by grapsta View Post

experimenting today with slow cooking some beef in master stock. ..then straining and stir frying. Inspired by the ribs dish in this great article :

http://gourmettraveller.com.au/cheap-cut-recipes.htm

Great article, cheers.

Quote:

kanni +

in za mikkusu ^-^

Times thanked
<
got some marinated (soy, mirin) pork belly sous vide-ing in the slow cooker since yesterday morning (will be 36 hours total)

sear tomorrow night to crispen up skin, make some handmade egg noodles and blanch some vegetables to serve

^-^
Weinertron +

Times thanked
<
U Mirin?
Fuck Everything Forever
little_brad +

Times thanked
<
Holy crap the beef cheeks were sensational, reduced the sauce right down to a nice sticky sweet glaze.

lavelle72 +

Times thanked
<
Sounds & looks awesome ^^
My Mixcloud
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Noice one! That cheeks recipe is awesome, and pretty "no fail" really...I guess you could fuck up the cauli puree if you really tried, but even that's pretty basic...and so frickin tasty!!! And yeah, I used a shiraz, too...not as important as ensuring you're using a Pedro Ximenez Sherry I don't think

Just back from Hawaii, well keen to make some Kalua Pork...smoked, slow roasted and pork butt...whack it in a crispy roll with some pineapple coleslaw and it's the bomb! Traditionally they cook it in the ground on coals and leaves for smoke, but seen recipes online which just call for some "liquid smoke flavouring" and still meant to be good...never heard of people using pork BUTT before though!

kanni +

in za mikkusu ^-^

Times thanked
<
^ Hawaii - lucky you! pork and pineapple coleslaw - sounds like a winning combo for me! ^-^

p.s. lol pork BUTT

=P
grapsta +

Times thanked
<
American recipes for pulled pork often / usually use the term pork butt. ...not sure what or if the corresponding name is here
grapsta +

Times thanked
<
turns out its pork shoulder ...strange as that aint near the butt
kanni +

in za mikkusu ^-^

Times thanked
<
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_butt

has the history of the name ^-^
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Oh, sweet, shoulder is easily available and cheap!

Weinertron +

Times thanked
<
OK, so I got a big chunk of topside (~1.5kg) that needs some slow lovin. inspire me ****s.
Fuck Everything Forever
grapsta +

Times thanked
<
yeah i got a big hunk of beef too. considering trying to do an Indian style curry...although i usually have more success with THai curry or European stew. pulled pork first off tomorrow for tacos. mmmmm. brining the pork tonight
Weinertron +

Times thanked
<
^ Yeah the indian curries are hit and miss for me sometimes. When I get it right it's amazing, but all too often they fall flat

(my general understanding is that restaurant curries are only that good due to the obscene amount of butter they add in)

Anyway, I've got a shitload of beetroot too. Thinking probably doing some form of beetroot n beef stew... I've found one recipe so far which looks a bit pedestrian (I'm sure I can jazz it up a bit), but if anyone finds anything spectacular, be sure to post. I'mma gonna get started on it tomorrow evening
Fuck Everything Forever

« Previous Thread Next Thread »