Breaks, Drum & Bass and Dubstep

Breaks evolving

Page 1 of 2
  Tools
DefTonez +

Times thanked
<
Breaks evolving
It's obvious that music has 'evolved' over the years. RNB is no longer RNB, rock is no longer hard and bad ass as it was back in the days and everyone has jumped on the dubstep bandwagon. So how has our beloved 'BREAKS' evolved to you?

I personally miss the funkiness of breaks. It used to be such a great vibe when a breaks joint gets dropped and it just makes all the booty shakes. It went into a very electro influenced stage where I wasn't a real fan of. There were way too many electro tunes being 're-rubbed' with a break beat over it. There wasn't too many orignal stand out tracks. Breaks seemed to have lost it ways for a while.

Over the last 2 or so years it's great to see some of the OGs of breaks making some originals again. There has been an increase on new and exciting talents too. I feel like that it's made a steady comeback. There are a lot of the wobble bassline in tracks these days, but I don't mind it. If you listen to early Deekline, Ed Solo and Skool Of Thoughts and a few others from back in 2004-05ish they've been using a lot of those wobble bassline, so really I'm suprise that it's just really picked up over the last few years. I guess witht the influence of dubstep playing a big factor. Also on that dubstep influence tip, I think that the big banging sounds of the 140BPM breaks are coming around again which is a WIN!

I'm pretty happy where breaks is at the moment. The beats are once again broken and not 4X4 As a huge hip-hop fan I like what Nu-Funk\Ghetto Funk has brought to the breaks game. It's brought that funk back as well as injecting it with the hip-hop flavas. The use of rap vocals and samples are always exciting to hear. You never know what samples will get drop. When one that people recognises they go nuts! These days you can't really pigeon hole yourself to one genre and I think this is where Nu-Funk\Ghetto Funk stands out. It branches out to all these other genres like dubstep, DNB and hip-hop.

So once again, how do you feel that breaks has evolved? What do you miss and what are you liking about it at the moment? Let's start discussing things again in this forum
Sydney Breaks

Broken Stylus

Soundcloud Page

kick, boom, kick kick, boom
brendanClay +

"Bruno"

Times thanked
<
Nice thread, and original post, Tony.

I, admittedly, came into the breaks game fairly late in the piece, in 2004. I say "late" because in Sydney, breaks had already been making a splash for some time. (Though, I wasn't of the legal drinking age until late 2003.)

Initially, without a huge wealth of knowledge on the genre, artists like Plump DJ's, Stanton Warriors and many releases on Finger Lickin' records were usually my first "go-to" tunes, when making purchases.

One of my early favourites was 'Plumpy Chunks', which you'll agree, in contrast to the production standards of today, is a very, very basic track. But it does all it needs to do! It has a groove, a kickin' bassline and - as Tony says - gets those booties shakin'!

Moving forward a couple of years, Tony raises the point that:

Quote:

It went into a very electro influenced stage where I wasn't a real fan of. There were way too many electro tunes being 're-rubbed' with a break beat over it.

We know the key culprits of this "movement".

However; to look at it from the perspective of somebody heavily into electro house at the time, I embraced it. Many of the "rubbed" tunes, I had already been playing in the original house format, and the newly-rubbed edits made great additions to my breaks sets, at the time.

In saying that, though, they weren't necessarily in my crates for a great length of time, and I'm not entirely sure that it was an overly beneficial period, in the life of breaks.

Even if these was done with the best intentions, and to bring more people into breaks, I'm not convinced it was as successful, as desired.

Aside from that, I found a lot of Elite Force's "re-fixes" to be largely tasteful, and held an extremely high production value.
BrendanClay.com | AtticSydney.com | SoundOfSPOiLT.com

> Soundcloud

Upcoming:

2017 | Attic

> Gigatools
DefTonez +

Times thanked
<
There's nothing wrong with re-rubs. I love them. But to pretty much use the original electro\house tune and laying break beat over it, shouldn't really be palmed of as a original breaks edit.

Those Elite Force edits were monsters! I too loved those
Sydney Breaks

Broken Stylus

Soundcloud Page

brendanClay +

"Bruno"

Times thanked
<
I'll be the absolute first person to admit that I'm not playing, nor buying a huge amount of breaks these days. But I certainly don't like to jump on the "breaks is dead" bandwagon, because it's largely unproductive, and unnecessary.

As Tony has said, breaks seems to be heading to a very good place, with the introduction of plenty of influences - hip hop and otherwise - into new tunes, keeping it fresh.

I also think that the juggernaut status that dubstep has found in recent years, is beneficial for the scene - as realistically, the styles aren't too different.

Looking locally, the recent introduction of the Sydney Breaks crew, complete with plenty of interested, excited parties, looking to get involved - along with some pretty talented technicians, things are looking good.

> Soundcloud

Upcoming:

2017 | Attic

> Gigatools
brendanClay +

"Bruno"

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by DefTonez View Post

There's nothing wrong with re-rubs. I love them. But to pretty much use the original electro\house tune and laying break beat over it, shouldn't really be palmed of as a original breaks edit.

Totally agree. Hardly original and probably not worth $2.49 USD, in some cases!

Quote:

Those Elite Force edits were monsters! I too loved those

They were, and they were quite original! In some cases, you had three or four tunes, tastefully mashed into a tune.

> Soundcloud

Upcoming:

2017 | Attic

> Gigatools
brendanClay +

"Bruno"

Times thanked
<
And, Tony, I'm sure we're not the only two to have an opinion on this subject.

Where is everyone else?

> Soundcloud

Upcoming:

2017 | Attic

> Gigatools
karlsav +

mmm.

Times thanked
<
Its funny the amount of dubstep kids (I say kids I mean 18-24 year olds that weren't really around when breaks was in its hey day) that hear a breakbeat drop in the middle of a dubstep tune, or a 140bpm pyramid tune and go "wow thats a really awsome different type of dubstep" .

i personally am not a fan of the re-rubs that were commercially released (with the exception of the already mentioned Elite Force - he has a nack for putting them together with some artistic integrity rather than "you know who" ) I think they were a lazy way of cashing in on the electro house band wagon. I don't mind the odd bootleg and re-rub that a producer does specially for their shows, then might give them away for free later on, it just shat me to tears when a re-rub "album" won the award for best breaks album a couple of years ago at breakspoll. Someone like Absorb though, I didnt mind what he did - again cause he tended to use them for his own shows and grew a bit of a following for it, but didnt cash in on it.
www.myspace.com/karlsav
Out Now:
Myagi - Thug (KS rmx)

Coming soon:

KS & Nikita - How I roll
Rhythm Mechanic - Systematic Roll (KS rmx)
High Eight - Open Your Eyes (KS rmx)
Mesmer - Le Fued Food (KS rmx)
Mesmer - Glaregaze (KS rmx)

karlsav +

mmm.

Times thanked
<
Where do I see breaks going and where is it at now? Well I siad most of my piece in the interview with Llupa, I just honestly don't think its as healthy in *Australia* as it could be or as us breaks fiends would love. Eastern Europe/Spain is still where its at. Especialy the proggier sound in EU. I just think Australia's climate and beaches promote a funkier style of music which is fine.

Brendan said "One of my early favourites was 'Plumpy Chunks', which you'll agree, in contrast to the production standards of today, is a very, very basic track. But it does all it needs to do! It has a groove, a kickin' bassline and - as Tony says - gets those booties shakin'!"

See- this is where I think where music has shot itself in the foot - especially in dubstep with the likes of skrillex etc making these noise infested tunes, to see who can "out drop/bassline each other" with melody/depth and , for want of better word, traditional musical structure and theory out the window. Its like they are making a phat beat (and the beats are phat) , then just trying to find the most random , disgusting patches they can make , and putting them together in 16th/8th notes with no thought of key changes/melody/structure. It just baffles me how it can be popular. But as I keep saying to my mates, I must be getting old, and I think I know what my parents meant and were saying when they would yell at me blaring the likes of Metallica and Pantera as a teenager.

Im personally trying to go back to the "KISS" principal, the keep it simple stupid approach. Not trying to make things too complicated. Classic example is Rennie Pilgrems Emit Collect remix - that had (I think) only 5 tracks of audio when it was finished, my through the night remix had 140! Granted alot of that was just the odd swoosh and fx bleep but still, gotta strip it back. EDIT: actualy come to think of it, about 60 of the tracks was the stupidly glithcy drum breakdown half way through the tune ( I did it 4 years ago before stutter edit and that would have made it oh so much easier haha ) .
www.myspace.com/karlsav
Out Now:
Myagi - Thug (KS rmx)

Coming soon:

KS & Nikita - How I roll

karlsav +

mmm.

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by brendanClay View Post

Where is everyone else?

Sorry - was deadlifting
www.myspace.com/karlsav
Out Now:
Myagi - Thug (KS rmx)

Coming soon:

KS & Nikita - How I roll

ravs +

Times thanked
<
Evolving I dunno man to be honest, maybe on the production tip but I'm not producer so I wouldn't have a clue how Breakbeat production has evolved. But generically speaking on breakbeat tip...I really think it more so goes through trends with the sound.

I think in the 90s the trend within breakbeat was very house influenced, well what I was listening to at the time anyways. I mean a lot of the stuff released by labels like TCR seemed to have the house background to it. Even labels like Bedrock started have a breakbeat edge to their label with Bedrock Breaks. In the early part of last decade more breakbeat sounds started coming out I mean you had the whole party breaks movement which seems to have the hip hop influence behind it and also electro breakbeat. By Electro Breakbeat I'm more so referring to releases by labels like BPM records and Plastic Raygun no so much on the electro house tip which seemed to gain popularity much later when it seemed hard to get a hold of Nuskool Breakbeat releases. At one point you ever had guys like Aquasky and Deekline deviate a bit and start producing a lot harder faster BPM breakbeat (what was that sun genre called again?)

Over all I just think there was periods where the sound was going through transitions and it was reflected mainly upon what label were making noise at the time, be it TCR, Botchit or the more dubby feel from MOB records. At the end of the day I liked it all. The sounds that were coming out were dope, fresh and very creative indeed.

I even liked the heavily sample based releases of the Freestylers on We Rock Hard which till this day I think is some of the dopest shit released. It's a kinda a new take on some classic breaks. I mean people who like their history and want to understand breaks will know what I'm talking about...I mean from collaborating with legends like Planet Rock/Soul Sonic Force to create some electro breakbeat to looping the break from the Winstons Amen Brother. Their album is virtually a history lesson when it comes to actual 'breaks' and where breaks come from. I'm sure there's haters out there from on nuskool tip who will palm it off as very unintelligent production and you'll have the OGs hating on the fact "man they shouldn't touch such classics, shit is not right"

In terms of Breakbeat losing it's momentum and prominence in the dance scene I agree Karlslav when it comes to doing re edits of tunes of other genres I thoughtthat really killed it. Mainly because it showed that a lot of artists has run out of ideas when it came to producing something new. I think for a moment we were so spoilt for choice the volume had to fall regardless but I never anticipated going through a period where it just almost completely dies out and most dudes jumped on the electro house bandwagon.

BUT I also think another thing that attributed to killing breakbeat was the DJs I mean being a DJ you need to develop your style. As it's been said before 'it's not what you play it's how you play it'. Lets face it breakbeat most DJs were all dropping the same ish you could to a festival and hear the same tun be dropped 5 times and it's all just basic mixing played the same way. Not many DJs pushed forward the art form of DJing. Imagine a breakbeat DJ actually cutting breaks and shredding, the variations would be almost endless. I mean yeah you did have a few cats doing that but that was very limited.

Just my thought =]

PZ
Cant.Stop.Wont.Stop
- Crown Street Cut Collective
- Scratchnuts Crew
- Soul of Sydney

Lowdown @
http://www.district.net.au
brendanClay +

"Bruno"

Times thanked
<
And I totally forgot about 'Mob'.

I absolutely loved that label - and still do!

It was one of the first labels that I "found", when I started buying breaks.

> Soundcloud

Upcoming:

2017 | Attic

> Gigatools
DefTonez +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

And I totally forgot about 'Mob'.

I absolutely loved that label - and still do!

It was one of the first labels that I "found", when I started buying breaks.

B, I think Ravs did mention Mob.

I agree with Ravs. He has some points that are pretty spot on.
Sydney Breaks

Broken Stylus

Soundcloud Page

DefTonez +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlsav View Post

Sorry - was deadlifting

haha we already knew that

Yeah I agree with the Euros and Spain being the biggest for breaks. We all know that breaks will never get back to it's glory days, but it is nice to see that it's actually getting some love once again on the dancefloor. It's no longer a 'dirty word'.
Sydney Breaks

Broken Stylus

Soundcloud Page

brendanClay +

"Bruno"

Times thanked
<

Quote:

B, I think Ravs did mention Mob.

I agree with Ravs. He has some points that are pretty spot on.

Definitely. He reminded me of it

> Soundcloud

Upcoming:

2017 | Attic

> Gigatools
brendanClay +

"Bruno"

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Classic example is Rennie Pilgrems Emit Collect remix - that had (I think) only 5 tracks of audio when it was finished...

That's absolutely incredible, isn't it?

Goes to show that you don't need a ridiculous amount of audio to make a good tune - just the right elements!

It's a cracking tune. One of my favourite breaks tunes, too.

> Soundcloud

Upcoming:

2017 | Attic

> Gigatools
DefTonez +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Definitely. He reminded me of it

oh I miss read your comment, my bad. Damn these 5am starts
Sydney Breaks

Broken Stylus

Soundcloud Page

brendanClay +

"Bruno"

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I did it 4 years ago before stutter edit and that would have made it oh so much easier haha...

Stutter Edit is brilliant.

Ryzi and I sit there tapping random keys for ages, all the while in complete amazement of the sounds that come out!

> Soundcloud

Upcoming:

2017 | Attic

> Gigatools
brendanClay +

"Bruno"

Times thanked
<

Quote:

oh I miss read your comment, my bad. Damn these 5am starts

Absolutely baffled at how you do it, mate!

I'd have absolutely no chance at all.

> Soundcloud

Upcoming:

2017 | Attic

> Gigatools
DefTonez +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Absolutely baffled at how you do it, mate!

I'd have absolutely no chance at all.

Coffee, and plenty of it!!
Sydney Breaks

Broken Stylus

Soundcloud Page

karlsav +

mmm.

Times thanked
<
Im up at 4:30 every morning when im not working to do a 5:15 workout - you just get used it. My body clock wakes me up at the time now, specially now im not clubbing much any more.
www.myspace.com/karlsav
Out Now:
Myagi - Thug (KS rmx)

Coming soon:

KS & Nikita - How I roll

DefTonez +

Times thanked
<
Wow you are keen on them deadlifts huh Karl? Yeah I have to get up about 4ish to get to work at 5
Sydney Breaks

Broken Stylus

Soundcloud Page

antis +

automated user

Times thanked
<
im really keen to do a proper reply to this thread when i get more time....

dont really listen to it much these days, but the last things that got me really excited by it were some of the recent mixed by karton, mixing up breaks, dubstep & dnb.

embracing lots of styles and tempos is the future of broken beat (part of the reason it lulled in the first place was because it became very samey).

- Automation -
futureperfect +

Times thanked
<
Breakbeat needs to get deeper, further away from obvious melodies, wobble basslines, cheesy rap samples and 'funky' basslines. For it to hold its own in terms of innovation and style against other, more popular, forms of bass music - it really needs to stop sounding like anything else (dubstep, electro, jungle) and start revealing its own identity. Thats as much down to the DJs who rehash the same old tunes and ideas as it is the producers. I'm as guilty as anyone for playing it safe but I don't think that's the way to create a new sound. If you look at the evolution of dubstep and how quickly that has changed from half time and splintered into all these actually quite exciting little sub-genres - you get an idea of how broad breaks could be. Its all a bit dancefloor oriented, but not in a good way. For it to evolve as a reputable music form I think you have to go beyond the dancefloor tbh.
Sango | Scarcity | 720bass.com | Strontium | Future Perfect | Flextone

SOUNDCLOUD
FACEBOOK
TWITTER
TUMBLR

Last edited by futureperfect: 19-Jan-12 at 08:31am

brendanClay +

"Bruno"

Times thanked
<
Quite a interesting opinion there, mate.

You're definitely onto something though.

I'm not sure that the re-hashing of other tunes, overused samples etc. with an added breakbeat over the top, is really "forward thinking" - as one break_beats might put it!

> Soundcloud

Upcoming:

2017 | Attic

> Gigatools
DefTonez +

Times thanked
<
I think that dubstep, DNB, jungle and breaks all come from a similar family. After all they are all broken beats at different tempo pretty much.

I think most breaks heads came from being a fan of hiphop, funk and disco, that is why you will hear so much influences in their tunes and mixes. I myself am a huge hiphop lover and I guess that translate in my mixes. We all know that I am a sucker for vocals and cheesey samples. I'm not sure about the rest of Oz or the world and this is ONLY my opinion and experiences, but here in Sydney the people on the dancefloor like a bit of cheese every now and then. Something they can sing along to. They may not know the track, but if they hear a sample that the know then they will go nuts. Don't get me wrong I totally agree that breaks needs to break out and have a distinct sound again. I guess it's just hard and you can never please everyone. You win over the party goers and the purist will diss you. You stay true and there is nobody dancing on the dancefloor. I guess in a club environment you will have to play for the crowd, cos in the end that is what you are paid to do. To win over the crowd you have to play for the girls and the guys will follow. Feed them girls with some cheese and you have a packed dancefloor.

With this in mind I think this is why booty breaks works so well. The likes of Stanton, Deekline and others all do this well and not to a point where its selling out or just re-rubbing an electro track. They all have a passion for hiphop and they are just expressing it in their tunes and it appeals to a wider audience, not just breaks heads.
Sydney Breaks

Broken Stylus

Soundcloud Page

brendanClay +

"Bruno"

Times thanked
<
Agreed, in some part, Tony.

There has to be a medium between staying true, and but making the booties shake. Finding it is the key!

> Soundcloud

Upcoming:

2017 | Attic

> Gigatools
DefTonez +

Times thanked
<
It's a tough one isn't it B?
Sydney Breaks

Broken Stylus

Soundcloud Page

brendanClay +

"Bruno"

Times thanked
<
Definitely, mate.

Part of the reason I stopped playing electro house, was due to my selections consisting of tunes that I thought would work for the crowd, more than tunes that I actually liked.

Had to go, really.

> Soundcloud

Upcoming:

2017 | Attic

> Gigatools
decry +

Talking nonsense

Times thanked
<
Agree with futureperfect.

Seriously people should stop bemoaning the death of breaks, the glory days blah blah blah and take a breath of fresh air outside the bubble.

Interesting breakbeat music is everywhere. If you want to find good breakbeat music you really need to start looking outside beatport etc "breaks" section and dig deeper than the same names that were around a decade ago!

More music that moves your mind and inspires your soul i say.

Some examples of music containing breakbeats i'm currently enjoying :

Quote:

Originally Posted by nic_

I am deftonez

Last edited by decry: 20-Jan-12 at 09:01pm

ravs +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by decry View Post

Agree with futureperfect.

If you want to find good breakbeat music you really need to start looking outside beatport etc "breaks" section

More music that moves your mind and inspires your soul i say.

I think you pretty much nailed it with this =]
Cant.Stop.Wont.Stop
- Scratchnuts Crew
- Soul of Sydney

Lowdown @
DefTonez +

Times thanked
<
Great list of tracks there Decry
Sydney Breaks

Broken Stylus

Soundcloud Page

karlsav +

mmm.

Times thanked
<
Ive just about finished a track for a remix competition. I dont usually do remix comps but the original of this one had some interesting parts to use and I had a good idea for it. Its 75% done, ive played it to a couple of people and both said its on a tipper/sibegg/andy page tip. Im quietly chuffed with it so far even if I do say so myself. Ill upload it once its submitted/judged on....
www.myspace.com/karlsav
Out Now:
Myagi - Thug (KS rmx)

Coming soon:

KS & Nikita - How I roll

DefTonez +

Times thanked
<
Why must you tease us like that Karl? Now we are all hanging to hear it
Sydney Breaks

Broken Stylus

Soundcloud Page

brendanClay +

"Bruno"

Times thanked
<
Can't wait to hear it, Karl!

> Soundcloud

Upcoming:

2017 | Attic

> Gigatools
karlsav +

mmm.

Times thanked
<
I realllly want to put it up for feedback etc... but its for a comp so wanna wait to see what happens of it..
www.myspace.com/karlsav
Out Now:
Myagi - Thug (KS rmx)

Coming soon:

KS & Nikita - How I roll

brendanClay +

"Bruno"

Times thanked
<
Definitely, mate.

Hope you do well, too!

Looking forward to hearing the result - when possible.

Now get back to those deadlifts!

> Soundcloud

Upcoming:

2017 | Attic

> Gigatools
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:

I'm pretty happy where breaks is at the moment. The beats are once again broken and not 4X4

This was where breaks and i parted ways ... well kinda. I just stopped following what was being label breaks and moved around elsewhere.

Funnily enough, i've done the same with dubstep in the past couple of years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravs View Post

Over all I just think there was periods where the sound was going through transitions and it was reflected mainly upon what label were making noise at the time, be it TCR, Botchit or the more dubby feel from MOB records. At the end of the day I liked it all. The sounds that were coming out were dope, fresh and very creative indeed.

I even liked the heavily sample based releases of the Freestylers on We Rock Hard which till this day I think is some of the dopest shit released. It's a kinda a new take on some classic breaks. I mean people who like their history and want to understand breaks will know what I'm talking about...I mean from collaborating with legends like Planet Rock/Soul Sonic Force to create some electro breakbeat to looping the break from the Winstons Amen Brother. Their album is virtually a history lesson when it comes to actual 'breaks' and where breaks come from. I'm sure there's haters out there from on nuskool tip who will palm it off as very unintelligent production and you'll have the OGs hating on the fact "man they shouldn't touch such classics, shit is not right"

Botchit ... Botchit Breaks ... and Botchit and Scarper were at the tastier end of the spectrum for me fer shure.

We Rock Hard was and still is a pivotal album and i think you've summed up why right there.

Despite breaks going too proggy i saw hope in labels such as Functional Breaks (very dubwise), Cool and Deadly (crossed into dubstepish territory but with a solid breaks approach, pity they didn't do more!) and of course Against the Grain &Supercharged.

Rather than follow music because it's been assigned a certain genre, i've always pursued sounds that appeal to me ... broken beats, dirty and/or (truly) funky preferred ... not bollox just labeled "funky breaks" ... and deep and/or dubby basslines. Be it jungle, "nu skool breaks", dubstep, hip hop etc etc ...

I don't buy music to get gigs as some DJs end up doing, i just collect sounds that turn me on regardless of age or labelled genre ... breaks can do what it wants and i'll pick out the bits i like.
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
karlsav +

mmm.

Times thanked
<
Ok guys, remix is finished... have a listen ..... bit different to what I normally do....

www.myspace.com/karlsav
Out Now:
Myagi - Thug (KS rmx)

Coming soon:

KS & Nikita - How I roll

brendanClay +

"Bruno"

Times thanked
<
Oops!

> Soundcloud

Upcoming:

2017 | Attic

> Gigatools
karlsav +

mmm.

Times thanked
<
ya I disabled widgets - you can listen at my soundcloud page - www.soundcloud.com/karlsav

Its the K+Lab & Funkdamunk remix.
www.myspace.com/karlsav
Out Now:
Myagi - Thug (KS rmx)

Coming soon:

KS & Nikita - How I roll

DefTonez +

Times thanked
<
Damn Karl! Totally digging that!! Sounds phat
Sydney Breaks

Broken Stylus

Soundcloud Page

Mike-O-Sito +

cowbell

Times thanked
<
Great track Karl!

Re: the thread.
For me Breaks has been a bit up and down. In recent times sets from some of my favourite producers that I grew up with such as Plump DJs, Stanton Warriors, Karton, Aquasky etc have been terrible which has really tested my faith in the genre. Plump DJs have definitely left the genre, Stanton Warriors while their productions are still awesome didn't do A LOT for me during their Australian tour. Their Set at Laundry was quality, but their set at Summafielddayze was in my opinion, their worst set i've ever seen. Karton are onto dubstep and Aquasky are onto electro house.

Fortunately the likes of The Freestylers, Elite Force, A-Skillz, Deekline are the newer talent like colombo, retroid etc are doing good things which is why I'm still listening.

That said I have always loved Hybrid's breaks productions and have followed Progressive Breaks from day one of my DJing life and it; so far is yet to let me down. Producers such as Hybrid, Phrakture, Mesmer, Monojoke, Aeron Aether, Duane Barry, Line of Sight etc are CONTINUOUSLY producing gems which makes it very easy for me to keep on with the genre and for that reason I would say I predominantly focus on that now. Along with oldskool breaks.

I definitely prefer the oldskool breaks sound over the nu skool sound as well which is why I play a lot of oldskool breaks. While I still listen to most breaks releases I'm finding it's a hell of a lot harder to find tracks that I really like. As far as purchasing goes. I don't buy any Nu Skool breaks unless it REALLY impresses me.

Nutshell
Oldskool Breaks - Love it! Will continue to play it!
NuSkool Breaks - Has lost it's way a little bit imo but am still listening with interest.
Progressive Breaks - Fuelling my love for breaks!

Hearing some of my favourite Breaks DJs/producers turn to the dark side so to speak pretty
Mike BigFX - Soundcloud page http://soundcloud.com/mike-bigfx

Breaks in all its forms!
Progressive | Oldskool | NuSkool
ravs +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravs View Post

PZ

My homie Z Jr from the record store posted this up a few days back thought I'd share...

Amen Brother

Media Player
Cant.Stop.Wont.Stop
- Scratchnuts Crew
- Soul of Sydney

Lowdown @
karlsav +

mmm.

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Damn Karl! Totally digging that!! Sounds phat

I came 3rd in the comp , 1st to 3rd got the same prize .

I wins a release on the EP (with royalties etc) and a $50 addictech voucher.
www.myspace.com/karlsav
Out Now:
Myagi - Thug (KS rmx)

Coming soon:

KS & Nikita - How I roll

Onijin +

Pastor of Muppets

Times thanked
<
Loving my prog breaks at the moment, but some of the electro breaks stuff coming out (mainly Toast Club Records releases) is starting to get my attention.
beautsten +

Times thanked
<
breaks is fucking wack. IMO
brendanClay +

"Bruno"

Times thanked
<
You came all this way just to post that?!

> Soundcloud

Upcoming:

2017 | Attic

> Gigatools
twistedbydesign +

grokkin it over

Times thanked
<
A bunch of the 'dungeon' dubstep producers have been putting out tracks that occupy the 'breaks' part of my brain.

It is awesome.
Beats
Worrying is using your imagination to create something you don't want
decry +

Talking nonsense

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by beautsten View Post

breaks is fucking wack. IMO

i tend to think the severe lack of posts/decent threads in this sub-forum is relative to the current state of "breaks".

but then ITM is fucking whack. IMO.

PS quiet an interesting "breaks" discussion going on over here

Quote:

I am deftonez

Last edited by decry: 29-Mar-12 at 04:57pm

decry +

Talking nonsense

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by twistedbydesign View Post

A bunch of the 'dungeon' dubstep producers have been putting out tracks that occupy the 'breaks' part of my brain.

It is awesome.

You must be out of your mind man!

Quote:

I am deftonez

Page 1 of 2

« Previous Thread Next Thread »