Sydney

34 but I wanna club again.. well dance and tunes.. Help pls??

Tools
Gerling024 +

Times thanked
<
34 but I wanna club again.. well dance and tunes.. Help pls??
I'm Nate
I was a member joined in 2001, NuBreed..
I'm 34 and I would like to go to clubs or bars or somewhere I can dance and listen to tunes. I stopped my weekly sabbatical to Kellet Street in the Cross or Laundry, Sounds @ Greenwood. Or even something like Cargo bar had an upstairs that you could have fun and not be bothered sort of thing.. I lost all my clubbing friends, and also clubbing contacts. I don't really think it's the greatest idea to just go out cold and ask someone as I could get in trouble and it feels so awkward.
Does that make any sense? If anyone can tell me where to go or what it's like for someone 34 now.. Please help?

Err I was trying to hint at advice of where you think I should go to listen to funky tunes
and also trying to hint at where to go where I could easily find stuff as I dont know
people I can ask

If I just sound lame then please be nice about it.. Oakey and GU events would be awesome to go to again, aswell as the occasional club night, or bar night..

Thanks
andosound +

It's a defence mechanism

Times thanked
<
No one actually goes out anymore. We all just sit at home and watch live streams of parties from Europe.

But seriously, it doesn't matter your age. Just browse the events on here, check the tunes getting played and rock up to the ones you think you'll like.
Facebook
SOUNDCLOUD MIXCLOUD
special ed +

spesh

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,017 Times in 1,441 Posts
welcome back,
well SOS is returning to greenwood this summer, but pretty sure their market is young 'festival' crowd (possibly)
spice cellar
S.A.S.H
Bare Essentials (only in summer i think?)
are decent places with decent crowds, that are more 'house' focused

One22 is the new place to be for technoey stuff

others can add their 2c worth
soundcloud
mixcloud
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts
im 34 and i spend more time in clubs than i ever have before in my life
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
Gerling024 +

Times thanked
<
That's all good, I love sounds! It was the end to every awesome week.. But yeah the younger crowd thing I don't think I could deal, despite being lucky looking about thirty.. I would be happy to go anywhere, I'm not overly fussed. I wouldn't really be a huge fan of going somewhere, asking the wrong person the wrong question and getting arrested. I have no idea about club culture now, I was hoping that was the advice to get
mighty toy +

looking forward to a big weekend @ laundry !

Times thanked
<
Gerling024 , below is what is coming up at Chinese Laundry for the rest of the month , if you have any questions etc just hit me up on email
and i'll be happy to assist - scottyslaundry@gmail.com

Friday 13th - Nick Thayer (OWSLA)
Saturday 14th - Brookes Brothers (UK) , Utah Jazz (UK) , Enei ( Russia )
Friday 20th - Big Chocolate (USA)
Saturday 21st - Thomas Schumacher (GER 3 hour set ) + Peking
Duk
Friday 27th - One Love Dubstep Invasion 3 Tour feat Phetsta & Glove Cats
Saturday 28th - Girl Unit (UK, Night Sluggs)
BPRJ +

Times thanked
<
The Mad Racket nights tend to have an older crowd.

As someone in the same boat as yourself, I really tend to pick my nights, and DJ's to make sure I'm mixing with a crowd I feel comfortable with.
special ed +

spesh

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by pomrocks View Post

yes, but you do get paid to do so

oh yeah, how could i forget mad racket?!
soundcloud
mixcloud
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by special ed View Post

yes, but you do get paid to do so
!

though its not that much, and i'd prob still be out regardless
Playing at;

SHRUG
special ed +

spesh

Times thanked
<
i do envy your stamina.
I'd retired from djing by 34, and had 12 yo & a 5 yo at that age
fucked if i could keep clubbing then!

s'pose music is too addictive, and age is just a number.
hence why ive started djing again. but i can only play in clubs with zimmer frame access
soundcloud
mixcloud
wilsonrob +

I am not bored

Times thanked
<
I am much older than 34 and still go out fairly often. You need to find places that you are comfortable in. In general the clubs that book decent acts tend to attract the best crowds (funny that). There are heaps of good people that regularly attend these gigs that post on theses forums. They are for the most part knowledgeable and fun to hang out with at said gigs and like Ando said - no one gives a fuck how old you are.

As for places to go, One22 is probably the best place to start if you are into the sort of music played there - nice club, friendly staff, always a good vibe in there. The Laundry consistently has awesome music, can be a bit rough in there sometimes but they look after regular punters well. SASH at the Abercrombie on Sunday's has a much older crowd if you're into house music. There are lots of other places as well.

Yea don't worry about your age and get into it.

Oh yea and go to Subsonic music festival. Awesome awesome weekend.
Zeus383 +

Times thanked
<
Venues: Spice Cellar, One22 & Abercrombie.

Parties: Motorik, Mad Racket & SASH

Dassit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bulldozer View Post

NEWSFLASH: Mainstream popular DJs disliked by underground music enthusiasts

james223 +

Times thanked
<
The HAHA parties are also fairly diverse regarding crowd/ages etc
Hasaparty +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerling024 View Post

I'm Nate
I was a member joined in 2001, NuBreed..
I'm 34 and I would like to go to clubs or bars or somewhere I can dance and listen to tunes. I stopped my weekly sabbatical to Kellet Street in the Cross or Laundry, Sounds @ Greenwood. Or even something like Cargo bar had an upstairs that you could have fun and not be bothered sort of thing.. I lost all my clubbing friends, and also clubbing contacts. I don't really think it's the greatest idea to just go out cold and ask someone as I could get in trouble and it feels so awkward.
Does that make any sense? If anyone can tell me where to go or what it's like for someone 34 now.. Please help?

Err I was trying to hint at advice of where you think I should go to listen to funky tunes
and also trying to hint at where to go where I could easily find stuff as I dont know
people I can ask

If I just sound lame then please be nice about it.. Oakey and GU events would be awesome to go to again, aswell as the occasional club night, or bar night..

Thanks

Come check out Hybrid at Chinese laundry on August 11th

Hybrid will be touring their brand new "Classics" album so will get to hear all the classic tunes & will be a great crowd of like minded people
June 6th - Danny Byrd (UK) + Hamilton (UK) @ Oxford Art Factory

June 7th - Defected in The House @ Pacha ft Kenny Dope (USA) + Sam Divine (UK) - Ivy
jimmenyC +

Hard wood

Times thanked
<
Are you for real?

Granted you may still have some great artists, but for anyone in our age-group on the +side of their thirties, Laundry is a clubkids creche.

I would definitely back Racket, HAHA, High Flyers and that for the OP.
Hasaparty +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmenyC View Post

Are you for real?

Granted you may still have some great artists, but for anyone in our age-group on the +side of their thirties, Laundry is a clubkids creche.

the guy said he likes Global Underground style artists

pretty sure a Hybrid classics set is going to bring all the older fans out of the woodwork , actually i am 100% sure

so , therefore its a perfect suggestion for what he is after

and anyway , the older crowds always come out for the artists that have more of a history and we have those kind of artists regularly in the cave

with 3 rooms rooms we cater to all age groups well

i have been running the club for 8 years so have a pretty good idea what our patrons are like

June 7th - Defected in The House @ Pacha ft Kenny Dope (USA) + Sam Divine (UK) - Ivy
special ed +

spesh

Times thanked
<
just ignore negative nancy
soundcloud
mixcloud
jimmenyC +

Hard wood

Times thanked
<
Paul, why don't you actually try reading and contributing to a discussion on here once in awhile as opposed to spamming your events at any and every given opportunity on here. Your boy, might toy already gave him the heads up.
itm jim +

Times thanked
<
I'm over 40 (unfortunately) and I still have a good night in The Cave with Guy J, Jerome Ism Ae, Anthony Pappa etc etc... None of my clubbing mates go out anymore but I just can't let go...!
I nearly always find a good crowd from a broad age range in there.
And if I don't, its usually pretty dark so it doesn't matter
special ed +

spesh

Times thanked
<
JC why dont you stop complaining/whinning about everything everyone does all the time? If its not the correct use of the term 'warehouse', then its promoter bashing.
OP asked for suggestions, Paul runs a club, gave him a suggestion/ plug. nothing wrong with it.
Now i know you dont me any harm, but it's just tiresome seeing negative posts all the time.

do you need a hug? in a warehouse?
soundcloud
mixcloud

Last edited by special ed: 11-Jul-12 at 12:27pm

Shepz +

Times thanked
<
One22, Subsonic.
Church of Techno, La Famiglia, Minimal Sydney, The Techno Bug (London)

La Famiglia every Saturday @ The Burdekin Hotel (10pm-7am)

Tracks and Mixes: http://www.soundcloud.com/shepz
jimmenyC +

Hard wood

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by special ed View Post

JC why dont you stop complaining/whinning about everything everyone does all the time? If its not the correct use of the term 'warehouse', then its promoter bashing.
OP asked for suggestions, Paul runs a club, gave him a suggestion/ plug. nothing wrong with it.
Now i know you dont me any harm, but it's just tiresome seeing negative posts all the time.

do you need a hug? in a warehouse?

No mate, I think he should just stop being so shameless as to promo-whore in any thread he can.

As for the warehouse, it is what it is. I actually went to that gig and enjoyed it, but it doesn't stop anyone from sharing an opinion or delineating their culture on here....

I don't always post negative comments in here, but if you find my matter-of-fact attitude on here a downer..... I'll try fix it up, let's see, will this work?
Hasaparty +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Paul, why don't you actually try reading and contributing to a discussion on here once in awhile as opposed to spamming your events at any and every given opportunity on here. Your boy, might toy already gave him the heads up.

if you cared to read i suggested one particular up coming event that i know will suit what the person was looking for in the question that he posed

last time i checked that was contributing

special ed +

spesh

Times thanked
<
not a downer, and i know you aren't always negative, but having a go at Paul for simply plugging his club in a thread where people have asked for suggestions is simply not necessary. If he was plugging his club left right and centre in totally irrelevant threads, then sure, it would be an issue, but he doesn't, and besides its my job to decide if it is. so that you guys dont have to worry, and can continually post pictures of cats to your hearts content

also you missed this guy
soundcloud
mixcloud
deepbeetzz +

Extension.666

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by pomrocks View Post

Well played dude.

Yeh, like everyone said, just do it man. I had a long long term relationship end a year or so back, and it kind of sucked as she was my going out partner, but got over it, now I find events and music I wanna go to, buy tix, go out, drink gin, talk cod shit, dance, its mad. If I can rope so poor soul into coming then good for me, if not, just go it alone. Just do it mate.

Quote:

Are you for real?

Thats bullshit, Im 31 and go to plenty of laundry events, mainly because alot of the artist Paul books are perfect for someone with seasoned electronic music taste. Edit > Because Paul is well seasoned himself.
soundcloud
andosound +

It's a defence mechanism

Times thanked
<
I feel sorry for JimmenyC's kids :/
Facebook
SOUNDCLOUD MIXCLOUD
edmundpw +

Times thanked
<
If you like progressive and trance, check out Digital Therapy every first Friday at Wolf Bar, Home Nightclub. An older crowd there - in fact at 34 you will be about the average age, I reckon.
Shall +

Do you believe in a Godd?

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by edmundpw View Post

If you like progressive and trance, check out Digital Therapy every first Friday at Wolf Bar, Home Nightclub. An older crowd there - in fact at 34 you will be about the average age, I reckon.

I agree Digital Therapy has a great like-minded crowd for people who enjoy hearing some great progressive and trance music and all have an awesome time! I'm 28 this year and sometimes I feel young!

As Edmund said it's on the first Friday of every month (Apart from in September when Digital Therapy will have a special international guest and it will be on the second Friday of the month on the 14th)
Random.

.....Party [once again] in Miami [2013] with the rhythm and the bass!

Last edited by Shall: 11-Jul-12 at 11:03pm

mighty toy +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Last time i checked i am not Pauls " boy " , thanks for the enthusiastic and optimistic posts though definitely providing some quality late night lulz * grabs popcorn *
jimmenyC +

Hard wood

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepbeetzz View Post

Well played dude.

Yeh, like everyone said, just do it man. I had a long long term relationship end a year or so back, and it kind of sucked as she was my going out partner, but got over it, now I find events and music I wanna go to, buy tix, go out, drink gin, talk cod shit, dance, its mad. If I can rope so poor soul into coming then good for me, if not, just go it alone. Just do it mate.

Thats bullshit, Im 31 and go to plenty of laundry events, mainly because alot of the artist Paul books are perfect for someone with seasoned electronic music taste. Edit > Because Paul is well seasoned himself.

I've not come here and dissed Paul's bookings, or what Laundry does. I'll not deny what they do has incredible merit and relevance.... I have pointed out that he uses each and every opportunity to spruik gigs on here in almost every thread - you've got to be blind not too notice, and hence I took a dig.

What I am going to stand by, is that I don't think it's the prime place for Nate to return cold-turkey to. There have been in my opinion, more worthier suggestions. Some of you may remember that 'back in the day', clubbing was a lot about a community feeling/spirit. Yes, yes, cue the classic scene from Human Traffic, blah, blah. I have personally been back to Laundry a couple times, and find that it's lacking in the patronage I care to club with. It's pretty young and not the savviest of clubbing crowds despite it's great artist bookings. The good artists also tend to play the Cave (which I guess, is dark and rammed, so fuck needing to meet anyone then, haha).

Anyway, what were you saying, Mighty Boy?
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
jims post reported due to spamming with thoughts & opinions.

hybrid at laundry will def attract a more mature crowd so a decent suggestion from paul imo
Playing at;

SHRUG
mighty toy +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Anyway, what were you saying, Mighty Boy?

You read what i wrote , end of story champ

« Previous Thread Next Thread »