The DJ Booth

Best way to record a mix?

Tools
Lachaa +

flying lotus

Times thanked
<
Best way to record a mix?
Hey so i've had decks for about 4 months now and want to start recording my mixes. I've got pretty basic kit at the moment, 2 X Pioneer CDJ 100s, and a Denon DNX-100. Is there a way to record my mixes without spending too much coin? Eventually i want to get the whole traktor set up, which is around $800 but atm looking for a quick easy cheap solution. Can i just plug the main output from the mixer into my laptop and use some sort of software program to record it?

Here's the specs of the mixer if that helps. Oh and i've got a macbook. Sorry i'm just a n00b at this stuff.

Cheers
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,528 Times in 1,493 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lachaa View Post

Can i just plug the main output from the mixer into my laptop and use some sort of software program to record it?

Cheers

Yes.

Or get a sound card for better results.

You can use garageband to record mixes.

or use the search function.

There really needs to be a sticky about how to record mixes
Lachaa +

flying lotus

Times thanked
<
Righto, cheers. Think i'll try out just hooking it straight up to the laptop and see how it sounds. If its shithouse i'll invest in a soundcard. I heard if you have good quality cables it helps and a sound card might not be necessary.. this true? Yeh i'll use garage band, should be easy enough to figure out. Do i plug the cable from the mixer into the little headphone socket on my laptop.. or is USB input an option? And on my mixer there's two master output's; 'unbalanced' RCA jack output OR 'balanced' 1/4'' jacks, Is one of these a better option?

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,165 Times in 1,295 Posts
I don't find cables to much difference (in saying that I use high quality cables when I'm recording my mixes), the main factor is the soundcard. I use an Edirol FA-66 which is massive overkill for someone just wanting to record mixes . But meh, I might use it for other things down the line like synths.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheelWinston View Post

Enlightened, morally strong sports fans follow the NRL.

Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<
hehe lachaa you can get a supercheap behringer audio interface for around $40-60 if your laptop doesn't cut it, and it will have stereo RCA in/out. it's a real budget one but does the trick.
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
jabbajaws +

Registerd Midget Abuser

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumpy View Post

Yes.

use the search function.
There really needs to be a sticky about how to record mixes

yup. isn't there like 1000 posts already?
Have you checked out Marsh Media recently?

UPCOMING GIGS

Quote:

Originally Posted by OllieBrooke

when cueing up "Wake Me Up (Before You Go Go) by Wham I knew it was gonna go off!!!

seannash +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicy View Post

hehe lachaa you can get a supercheap behringer audio interface for around $40-60 if your laptop doesn't cut it, and it will have stereo RCA in/out. it's a real budget one but does the trick.

the inbuilt soundcard on the macbook is infinetly better than a cheap behringer soundcard.

OP theres absolutely nothing wrong with the inbuilt soundcard so just plug your mixer output int the headphone socket on the mac and away you go.

if garageband is too taxing try Audacity

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
http://soundcloud.com/seannash/tracks
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
Master Out to your speakers/amp so you can play and still hear it, 'Record Out' (with an RCA to small headphone jack cable from Dick Smiths for less than $10) into the Line In or Mic In (depending on which inputs you have) on your lappy...then some software to record it, I use Audacity, it's free and works a treat:

Set your levels so it's not clipping in the software and you should get something decent enough...if it don't sound too flash, then get a cheap USB sound card so do a proper RCA to RCA input.

Once you have the file in Audacity, you then Export it to MP3 or WAV (need an encoder to do MP3, but they're free, too, when you try to export, it'll tell you that you need 'lame encoder blah blah blah' and direct you were to get it)
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
seaneoconnor +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
If you have the MacBook Pro 13 (current model) it does not have line in... You will need to get a soundcard... Plugging into your headphone socket won't do anything for you...
Lachaa +

flying lotus

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi View Post

Master Out to your speakers/amp so you can play and still hear it, 'Record Out' (with an RCA to small headphone jack cable from Dick Smiths for less than $10) into the Line In or Mic In (depending on which inputs you have) on your lappy...then some software to record it, I use Audacity, it's free and works a treat:

Set your levels so it's not clipping in the software and you should get something decent enough...if it don't sound too flash, then get a cheap USB sound card so do a proper RCA to RCA input.

Once you have the file in Audacity, you then Export it to MP3 or WAV (need an encoder to do MP3, but they're free, too, when you try to export, it'll tell you that you need 'lame encoder blah blah blah' and direct you were to get it)

As for being able to hear it through the speakers whilst its recording - I don't have a 'record out' on my mixer or any outputs on my speakers, just the two different types of master outputs on the mixer itself. One with L and R 1/4" which is says is balanced, and the other L and R RCA which is 'unbalanced'. So could i plug my Behringer monitors (which have amps built in) as normal through the master 1/4" output, and then my laptop through the RCA master output at the same time? I'll check out Audacity. Thanks
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Arrr, yep, that should work fine...permitting the mixer lets BOTH master outputs work at the same time...can't see why it wouldn't

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

kasper_flip +

;_;

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,497 Times in 705 Posts
personally i like to run my monitors off the 'booth' output, so that i can turn them up/down as i see fit without changing the master volume.
i then run my computer off the 'record' output (duh).
from memory turning up/down the master will affect recording volume, which is why i run monitors off the booth as this doesn't affect it. i often mix at night and turn my monitors down so i don't disturb housemates/neighbours...
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts
how many mixers these days don't have record out anyway?!
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
phantom82 +

Times thanked
<
This is a tutorial i used its pretty good....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-yS57gXl5Q
Derelict +

Derpcore gets the derpy dollars

Times thanked
<
Thanked 5,918 Times in 3,420 Posts
Any 5.1/6.1/7.1 default sound card on a motherboard these days is fine for recording mixes.
Music is the best drug.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post

PM derelict for manual labour shit

Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by seannash View Post

the inbuilt soundcard on the macbook is infinetly better than a cheap behringer soundcard.

OP theres absolutely nothing wrong with the inbuilt soundcard so just plug your mixer output int the headphone socket on the mac and away you go.

hehe it might do the trick just for whatever mix recording, but to say that the realtek/sigmatel audio interface on macbooks is better than a cheap behringer external interface is just naive. you do realise macbooks use the stock standard whatever the hell chip is on the intel motherboards these days, right? the fact that they connect it to harman kardon speakers is laughable.
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
Lachaa +

flying lotus

Times thanked
<
Got her working! Thanks Peeps. FYI having the monitors and laptop hooked up through both master outputs worked perfectly, and sound quality is decent using audacity and my macbook (not even a macbook pro). Time to mixxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
seannash +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicy View Post

hehe it might do the trick just for whatever mix recording, but to say that the realtek/sigmatel audio interface on macbooks is better than a cheap behringer external interface is just naive. you do realise macbooks use the stock standard whatever the hell chip is on the intel motherboards these days, right? the fact that they connect it to harman kardon speakers is laughable.

ive used it plenty of times,had my genelecs plugged directly into the for about 6 months whilst i waited for an expresscard for my soundcard.

its alot better than some 60 dollar soundcard in my opinion and the OP seems to agree that the quality isnt bad,go figure
http://soundcloud.com/seannash/tracks
Digitalgrub +

Times thanked
<
When you do record in Audcity, make sure you have the input volume at about 10 percent and have the output on your mixer all the way up. This will prevent that recording 'hum' sound from being there.
dj deza +

i have no freinds

Times thanked
<
you can also use quicktime to record audio as well this is what i use it's has been working fine for me for years i have audcity but prefer quicktime so easy to use, just another option for a macbook.
funk you
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Can Quicktime edit the file though? Like put fade in's or out's, cut it up into tracks, extract to .WAV or .MP3?

Mike-O-Sito +

cowbell

Times thanked
<
I use Soundforge.
just get an RCA cable with headphone jack. and hook your laptop up through your mixer
Mike BigFX - Soundcloud page http://soundcloud.com/mike-bigfx

Breaks in all its forms!
Progressive | Oldskool | NuSkool
brendanClay +

"Bruno"

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike-O-Sito View Post

I use Soundforge.
just get an RCA cable with headphone jack. and hook your laptop up through your mixer

No Soundforge on the Mac, unfortunately - though, I wish there was! (Unless of course, you want to enter the realm of using a Virtual Machine.)

I record my mixes into an Ableton channel.

Garageband was a little tricky, as you have to record it, as though it were an instrument. If you don't set the time signature, and the BPM correctly, you will run out of recording time.

My advice: stick with an application that is created for the purpose for which you're using it!
BrendanClay.com | AtticSydney.com | SoundOfSPOiLT.com

> Soundcloud

Upcoming:

2017 | Attic

> Gigatools
dj deza +

i have no freinds

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi View Post

Can Quicktime edit the file though? Like put fade in's or out's, cut it up into tracks, extract to .WAV or .MP3?

i'm pretty sure it can convert to different file types but cant do anything else its just a very basic and simple way to record a mix and put it on my ipod, it's just another option witch is quick and easy
funk you
Damez +

Times thanked
<
Question. I'm using a RCA/headphone jack connection, coming out of the booth output of my mixer and into my laptops line-in. When I adjust my mixers output gain to 0db and then compare it to audacitys meter it says im only at -6db. Am I losing some signal because of my equipment...?
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Turn the booth output up?

What's happening on your channel gains and the master out =/= the same as the booth out...record out = the same, but booth out is adjustable to what ever level you dial it to, but there's no meters to show that

Damez +

Times thanked
<
K thanks, I think I've got it, just connected the rca to the master output rather than the booth so that they = eachother.. also by booth I meant 'recording' input if that makes any difference.
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
It does, a little, I think some mixers have the record out set a bit lower than the master out so as to try and ensure there's no clipping on recording...

« Previous Thread Next Thread »