The DJ Booth

Speakers for the home DJ set-up...

Tools
phantom82 +

Times thanked
<
Speakers for the home DJ set-up...
I'm shifting my G2 cos frankly its too big n loud for my house!

However i do think a pair of studio speakers would do the trick as they'd be smaller and have good quality sound even when played at lower volumes, i dont produce music by the way just want em for djing, they should be able to crank it if needs be though.

Any suggestions please? Not too bothered about cost but i'm not minted!

(I mix DNB by the way)

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
Hi Fi amp and speakers make for a warmer more pleasant sound while DJ, but costs a lot to get a good amp and good hi fi speakers...compared to say a pair of KRK Rockit 8"s...but it's a cheaper option if you go old school second hand stuff

8" powered monitors from your booth output, 12" active sub from the master...boom...massive sound sans-amps and would be well more than most rooms really need for home use

I got the 5 1/4 inch Behringer Truths, which are fine for playing in the bedroom, but if we have any actual party and pull the gear out into the lounge, it's not really enough, even with the 8" active sub I've got
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
Skerik +

naff

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi View Post

8" powered monitors from your booth output, 12" active sub from the master...

I would suggest the other way round

But I spose it doesn't really matter
.music. .pictures. .project:tryptamine.
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<
if you've got the cash get rockit Rp10-3. you can forget all the sub woof business. when those mofos are properly set up in your room you'll get below 40hz. the shit you need for drum & bass.

e: i just checked they go for about $1100 a pair. hmm maybe pricey! up to you man. still cheaper than other KRK satellites & sub and plus those Rp10's are exceptional.

you could just go for a behringer combo with a sub though. it will prob be a lot cheaper anyway and still produce the same low freq's.
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐

Last edited by Spicy: 10-Apr-12 at 08:56pm

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skerik View Post

I do it this way as master out sets your recording levels, too, so I set the master out to 0dB/+1dB, adjust the sub's volume to the level you wish to have it at, adjust the booth to get your monitors to the level you want...if the monitors are running from the master, +1dB is crankingly loud for them and they're fiddly to get behind and adjust their own internal levels, plus having to do it for both speakers rather than just one sub.

Also because I already had an XLR to RCA cable when I got the sub, so that was master out -> sub else it would be unbalanced if going into the monitors via RCA...then bought 1/4 jack to XLR for the monitors.

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skerik View Post

Or why not run it....

Mixer --> Sub --> Monitors (via the sub's hopefully high passed outputs)

I get that one might want to tweaking mains vs sub via the control room vs main output level controls, but in the real world it should be set and forget.

And running a single stereo signal from the mixer to the sub+mains combo means the ratio of sub output to the main levels is maintained at any mixer volume output level
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicy View Post

if you've got the cash get rockit Rp10-3. you can forget all the sub woof business. when those mofos are properly set up in your room you'll get below 40hz. the shit you need for drum & bass.

e: i just checked they go for about $1100 a pair. hmm maybe pricey! up to you man. still cheaper than other KRK satellites & sub and plus those Rp10's are exceptional..

I'm surprised there aren't more 3-way studio monitors around, with some of the best I know of coming from Dynaudio, such as the passive M2 models, as used by Hybrid.

But I think KRK dropped the ball somewhat with a measly 40W output on the 10" woofer in their 3-way efforts...

...especially as I suspect their true watts specs in their Rokit range not to be up to much chop. Have you heard them under a bit of steam?

EDIT: Scrap that, I must have read a misprint... apparently it's 80W + 30W + 30W (TOTAL 140W)... maybe? KRK don't seem to give an amplifier breakdown. And it's quite possibly they're still running a 2-way amp, with a passive filter on the mid/tweeter???

Anyway, be worth a listen to hear how the midrange performs from its own driver and the bass being free to do its own thing.

Last edited by Spectrum: 11-Apr-12 at 11:27pm

Papanikolas +

In the beginning there was Jack.....Daniels

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post

Or why not run it....

I get that one might want to tweaking mains vs sub via the control room vs main output level controls, but in the real world it should be set and forget.

And running a single stereo signal from the mixer to the sub+mains combo means the ratio of sub output to the main levels is maintained at any mixer volume output level

yep thats how i run my set up. I am using a hifi/home theatre sub, then hi passed to my passive Vaf bookshelf's. I can also choose to run the bookshelfs full range out of the sub, but the sound is much clearer when hi passed.
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<
haha spectrum those dynaudios will set you back about $8000 a pair, am i right?. anyway if sound precision is not an issue (i bet the DJ mixer colours the sound like a mofo anyway) then even behringers will be alright.

having said that, you make a good point about the power. exactly how much 'cranking' are we looking at here? is this supposed to be for a house party style cranking, or somewhere bigger than that?

i haven't heard those KRKs proper cranked either.
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

haha spectrum those dynaudios will set you back about $8000 a pair, am i right?.

Don't forget to add the amplifier. And not a Samson or Alto jobbie either.

Quote:

exactly how much 'cranking' are we looking at here? is this supposed to be for a house party style cranking, or somewhere bigger than that?

10" woofer, mid-field design, I'd kinda want it to be able to rock a house party. And if the 80watts for the woofer is reasonably honest, it probably will go alright.

Aside from thermal issues when absolutely pushed, I used to run a 100w + 100w Yamaha amplifier in my house party rave days. More than ample at home, though didn't like sticking a bar for a few more people without winding back the bass and the occasional shut-down waiting for it to cool. And with 1 watt = around 85dB-90dB (depending on driver sensitivity), any amplifier will above a few watts should happily run the defacto studio monitoring levels required.

But the proof's in the pudding, so to speak.
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Or why not run it....

My Sub is just a home theatre Polk Audio number and my monitors are active studio's, so no, that won't work.

Works well imo, means the sub and monitors are independently controlled so if it's late and I don't want to obtrusively loud, I can cut the sub while still having control over the monitors.

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<

Quote:

though didn't like sticking a bar for a few more people without winding back the bass and the occasional shut-down waiting for it to cool.

I remember my 18th when my step dad rigged up a car battery and a spare car fan he had, sitting it above the amp with, match boxes in between as a gap, to pump air through the beast and keep it running! Genius!

phantom82 +

Times thanked
<
Shit most of that went straight over my head ha ha!!
Some good advice though, i was hoping to plug the speakers straight into the mixer (Pioneer DJM600), as my amp at the moment isnt top range (pioneer but old).
By 'cranking' it i meant just for house/lounge parties nothing bigger.

Somebody recommended these - http://www.qscaudio.com/products/spe..._series_K8.php

If i can avoid having a sub i will, purely for space saving purposes, the rockit rp 10-3 ones sound good Spicy maybe i'll look into them... although would have to be justified for the price - although quality doesnt often come cheap with this gear i know.
Tha Gooch +

wut wut

Times thanked
<
just get a pair of cheap powered monitors alesis M1's or KRK rockit 6" or 8"

defo get powered speakers though, so you can plug them directly into your mixer = less fuss etc..
phantom82 +

Times thanked
<
cool cool sounds good
phantom82 +

Times thanked
<
i know whats gonna happen though, i'll get some wiked speakers then convince myself i need a xone db4 to perfect the set-up!
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Yeah, just got self powered monitors, head into Store DJ/DJ Warehouse if you can, they have them all on display and you can try them out...go for one with an 8" driver to ensure some ooomph and no need for sub

It's amazing the sound the Behringer 8" Truths pump out for the price

Last edited by Random_Kiwi: 12-Apr-12 at 01:39pm

Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi View Post

I remember my 18th when my step dad rigged up a car battery and a spare car fan he had, sitting it above the amp with, match boxes in between as a gap, to pump air through the beast and keep it running! Genius!

Genius indeed!
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
<

Undoubtedly great compact PA/DJ speakers, super wide 105 degree dispersion for terrific sound in smaller environments where people may not be placed directly in the fire of the speakers (ie. sitting to the sides instead), and the 'DEEP' mode makes for startling performance in the low end, negating the need for a subwoofer (to a degree).

I recently purchased the next size up, the K10s, and loving their capability, not just at loud levels, but also their quality of sound at low 'near field' levels too. Given the same 500 watt + 500 watt amplifier module across the range, the maximum output is ample for any domestic application and then some.

This weekend I get to put them to the test for a work awards function in a restaurant with around 35 people so keen to hear how they perform against a bit more ambient noise. And also want to push them with the DEEP mode engaged to see just how much of a headroom killer it might be (that is, how it behaves at loud SPL while still trying to maintain the extra bass extension/boost).

For your home-only needs, the main downside I can see is that the variable speed cooling fans will start up spinning with little drive of the speakers, and are quite audible when the speakers are playing at their quietest levels.

An alternative to consider is from local PA company Quest Audio

QSA200i (around $850/pair)
http://www.questaudio.com.au/product...Quest_QSA_200i
Looks a little light amp-wise compared to the (exaggerated???) QSC specs, but the 100W+50W module should be more than ample for your uses, and fan cooling assists when more output is required (and I believe the fans are internally located to minimise external noise).

Other advantages are they're pole mountable to raise them to just above head height where they need to be in a group setting or the bodies in the room will block them out. (Note the QSC K8 equivalents have the advantage of then being able to tilt the speaker downwards too, so arguably better). And either the QSC or Quest models are better suited to being dragged about. It's all too easy to bang up the vinyl wrap on studio-centric speakers.

And Quest do a great 15" sub for around $1200 too if you do need to step things up...
http://www.questaudio.com.au/product...wered_Sub_Bass
(...though I don't think the QSA200i has the hi-pass filters for subwoofer use, so a crossover is likely required if you're keen on getting a bit more midrange SPL volume out of the smaller boxes by filtering the bass out. The QSC units again better suited for subwoofer integration with a 100Hz highpass switch on the back.)

Last edited by Spectrum: 13-Apr-12 at 05:55am

Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by phantom82 View Post

i know whats gonna happen though, i'll get some wiked speakers then convince myself i need a xone db4 to perfect the set-up!

well, you should get the db4 anyway!
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
Skerik +

naff

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Or why not run it....

Oh yeah, that'd probably be a better way of doin it...

Lol, I'm doing to myself

In regards to the Krk 3 ways, I've heard them up loud and they go alright indeed - perfect for slamming out the DJ biz IMO
.music. .pictures. .project:tryptamine.
TurntableTech +

World Citizen

Times thanked
<
Forget all the monitors mentioned.

QSC K8 powered speakers are the go. Incredibly flat frequency response and perform better than so-called referenced monitors,

I referenced them directly to some bookshelf size Genelecs and couldn't fault them.
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurntableTech View Post

Forget all the monitors mentioned.

You're already forgetting the 3 other references to K8s already in this thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurntableTech View Post

QSC K8 powered speakers are the go. Incredibly flat frequency response and perform better than so-called referenced monitors,

I referenced them directly to some bookshelf size Genelecs and couldn't fault them.

I've not heard the K8s, however, I'm enjoying listening to K10s over Mackie HR824s at home at the moment, with the K10s remarkable clarity at low levels (which many PA type speakers struggle to do).

And on the topic of the smaller driver-size of the K8s (same size as the HR824s), I've head the HR824s playing in a couple of bowling/football club type venues (yeah, totally not what they were designed for), and their output was actually quite remarkable. Therefore, I've no doubt the K8s are significant step up with 4x the amplification per box and fan cooling (with the limiter and thermal shut downs becoming the biggest barrier against the HR824s being a reliable party speaker (and never mind the sun hammered the wrap on one of mine for a New Years Day house party out in the sun).

In fact, I'd have seriously considered the K8s except they don't have the enclosure shape and skids to allow them to act as floor foldbacks (though someone on the 'net has shown sticking a bolt into one of the mounting anchor points on the back will allow then to lean back at an angle propped up against the ground by the bolt).

I've read reports of people using the K8s with a K-SUB for wedding type gigs with much success. While not as loud as the K10 or bigger models at maximum SPL, they'll absolutely hold their own when the 100Hz sub-mode is engaged at reasonably loud SPLs. And some may appreciate the even wider 105degree room dispersion, especially in cramped / small rooms. Just be sure to pole mount them to get the horns above people's heads, or they're gonna sound dull like any speaker as a room fills with people.

Now waits for the woes that they're not $499 a pair...

« Previous Thread Next Thread »