The Music Studio

The New Music Purchases Gloat Thread!

Page 29 of 29
  Tools
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<
Wow, Drum machine overload. How does the MFB sound?
Tech-One
Will666 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by slackas View Post

Wow, Drum machine overload. How does the MFB sound?

It's pretty nice. The kick is very 808 sounding. The snare is a little weak more of a white noise than a snare. The other sounds in it are driven from the 808 but just sound a little different, which I like.

I havent even turned the Machine Drum on yet. I'm just learning the Octatrack for now by using it for a remix. I must say that it's really freaking good. I'm getting sounds that I don't normally think of and because it's so hands on you can warp and change multiple parameters by using the crossfader.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Beatport
Blog
Twitter
YouTube Production Tutorials
Radic +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by slackas View Post

Got it off ebay, came in 1 day. Pretty happy, going to add a little more acid flavour to my productions.

Hoping to use it for a little muck around live set too.

Company copied almost every single detail, except added MIDI in/out, Arp, and the patterns save if the battery is removed (has an adapter).

To compensate, it also has a random patch generator. nice...

how much?
Soundcloud
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<
$745 from http://www.rhythmactive.com.au/

They do ebay sales which is where I got mine.
Tech-One
meldavid +

I used to be a raver like you, but then I took a kick to the knee.

Times thanked
<
I miss the 303 in dance tracks. You should bring back Chemical Beats type of music. 303 > wobble bass * infinity

Eg. wobble 303. Or 303 through Stutter Edit or Finger.
Ghostman +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by erther View Post

I hear its an Essential bit of gear.
Contact your local dealer for prices.
I couldn't find any on ebay.

just started to find out how beautiful this stuff and making music go together so well.....peace
Ghostman +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heist9000 View Post

Just picked one up for $230 off Egay (with pop shield but no stand). Hopefully its in good nick

You should gloat too. I paid nearly a grand for one of those a long time ago man.
Rocky808 +

My Eyes! The Goggles Do Nothing!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post

just started to find out how beautiful this stuff and making music go together so well.....peace

I didn't know it was possible to make music without it
Joe-Trojan +

distorted distortion

Times thanked
<
Completely redundant in my setup but I caved tonight:

Got talking to the seller about synths and he kindly showed me his Jupiter 8 which is in pristine condition. It was a religious experience.
soundcloud
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post

You should gloat too. I paid nearly a grand for one of those a long time ago man.

They are 280 brand new delivered on egay. I would pay an extra 50 not to have it used.
Tech-One
Joe-Trojan +

distorted distortion

Times thanked
<
More GAS ffs.

I have no idea where todays and mondays buy are going yet.
soundcloud
meldavid +

Times thanked
<
The couch seems to be a popular resting place for synths.
Joe-Trojan +

distorted distortion

Times thanked
<
soundcloud
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe-Trojan View Post

More GAS ffs.

I have no idea where todays and mondays buy are going yet.

What on earth is going on with that image??? Both are standard 19" rack width, yet the MS2000 looks like it's got another inch and a half on the JP-8080!

Have you worked out the dual MIDI ins on the JP yet? I had one for several years, can't recall now what was up with it, but I remember certain functionality was available only to 1 MIDI in, while other functions could only be accessed/performed via the other MIDI in.
Joe-Trojan +

distorted distortion

Times thanked
<
haha my first escher picture. Both units are tapered but I took the pic roughly square on to the MS2k, so the face of the JP is behind the MS. I've only tweaked about with both for a couple of hours each so far but I've seen mention of the midi bs on the JP8080, hopefully it's not too much of a pita when I actually set everything up to use it properly.
soundcloud
Heist9000 +

Life of Riley

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,923 Times in 690 Posts
I had a 'plugin fiesta' before I left for my travels, buying a lot of plugins that i'd previously used naughty versions of... Including:

IK Multimedia Black 76
Stillwell Vibe EQ
Valhalla Room
Korg Legacy Collection M1
BBE Sonic Suite
Fewsion +

Registered troll

Times thanked
<

About time!
bobmoog +

Times thanked
<
I have never been more inspired! Simplicity is divine.

jester_fu +

I ammmmmmmm

Times thanked
<
That's not a synth. Synths have knobs and shit. That's like a VSTi midi file player rendered in solidworks.

They still have midi these days, yeah?
Will666 +

Times thanked
<
I just purchased one of these

It's going to take 6-8weeks to get delivered plus the build time once it gets here.

Media Player
Soundcloud
Facebook
Beatport
Blog
Twitter
Radic +

Times thanked
<
^ - Very techno indeed
Soundcloud
Joe-Trojan +

distorted distortion

Times thanked
<
de-gloat here, recently sold my virus ti rack and have not replaced it with anything, but the V-Synth XT (that was previously kicking around on the floor) filled it's spot in the rack.
soundcloud
Joe-Trojan +

distorted distortion

Times thanked
<
A pair of Duntech Statesman are my studio monitors now. I didn't like them at first but then spent considerable time messing about with some A/B/C/D testing with two pairs of Krix floorstand speakers and AKG K701 headphones. The sound of the Statesmans is actually comparable to AKG K701's, similar tonal balance, a bit more laid back in the top end with a detailed but taut bottom end which is not overpowering by any means.

The Krix speakers (Apex and Lyrix) are more fun to listen to and make anything sound good but are just not accurate with some holes in their response, a much brighter top end on the Apex and very warm mids on the Lyrix. Both have seemingly bigger bass but it is not clean bass by comparison.
soundcloud
jester_fu +

I ammmmmmmm

Times thanked
<
I've never found Duntech bass response very clean. IMO they muddy most dance music and anything with a clean kick or bottom end. Still, if you're finding it a step up, then it is! Enjoy... they still sound nice.
Joe-Trojan +

distorted distortion

Times thanked
<
There is still room for improvement but I found them to sound closer the the AKG's than the others. I don't have access to any reference grade monitors and my lack of experience and hackjob studio is no doubt letting them down too.

Which models have you listened to? The seller told be how Studios 301 tried this actual pair out for a while but didn't buy them not long before I came along.
soundcloud
jester_fu +

I ammmmmmmm

Times thanked
<
A few over the years. I considered buying a pair of Sovereign's years ago when a shop i knew were having a sale/clearance... but i ended up with something else They're impressive, but the bottom end just didn't match up with the mid and highs to me.

Best thing you can do is buy a really good amp if you don't have one already. A nice power amp to throw them around... and a good pre. If you can get class A that runs to Class A-B at higher wattage you'll find they perform a lot better. Don't buy into the valve amp nonsense, though. Duntechs sound absolutely woeful when you run the on valve amps, IMO.

They're a loud speaker, but you've already got some loud monsters! Room set up makes a big difference... but hell, if you're enjoying them, who cares!
Joe-Trojan +

distorted distortion

Times thanked
<
Interesting. I'm happy with the bass quality, but bass quantity is barely adequate without a sub as they roll off quite high, not to worry though as I have them teamed up with my big subs. Without the subs there is enough upper bass and mid bass to give a clean kick, I'm not finding them muddy at all, even compared to the headphones.

They are each running off a channel "A" from individual Yamaha P4500 power amps, pre-amp is a Yamaha RX-V663 in source direct mode feeding a Ashley XR2001 crossover set to about 58hz, however testing was done full spectrum on an old Onkyo integrated amp (with 100wpc into 8ohm, fuck knows what is does into 4), because it has a really good Headphone - Speaker A - Speaker B switch.

When I first was trying them out at my place I had them all set up in the living room which has no room treatment and they sounded like arse. Later on I ABCed everything in the studio which actually has some room treatment and the Duntechs started to make a lot of sense and made the others sound like arse. I think the Krix are really designed to sound good wherever you happen to plonk them down.

Yeah they do go loud, with the volume turned up and up they just do not sound harsh at all, everything just stays clean.

What was interesting was listening with open back HPs on and having whatever speaker playing as well. With the Krix parts of the audio spectrum were all phasey, but the Duntechs were pretty much smack on everywhere.

Anyway, what sounds great to me might actually be complete shit hahaha.
soundcloud
BasketCase +

Times thanked
<
I run a pair of Duntech Statesman, along with a pair of PMC TB2s+ monitors using PMC DS-001 amplifiers.

One thing I have noticed is that the Duntechs are incredibly sensitive to the amplifier being used. I settled on a pair of Hypex Class D amplifiers after comparing them with a Bryston 4B amplifier. Statesmen are also designed to be listened to as mid-field speakers. Their optimal frequency response is at a listening distance of 3.5 meters. Something to keep in mind!

They might not have the greatest low frequency response, but they are hard to match when it comes to depth and clarity. Listening to old tom waits albums on them is amazing. You can hear stuff you wouldn't normally hear in the recording. Like Tom Waits rocking his weight back and forth between his two feet.

Studio 301 did recently take delivery of a couple of pairs of Sovereigns for their mastering suites.
Joe-Trojan +

distorted distortion

Times thanked
<
Interesting amp choice, what difference was apparent between the two amp types? I havn't done any AB amp testing yet but so far havn't noticed anything obviously different.

I am listening to them far to close, more like 1.5m haha, and the tweeters are not at the right height. I have them sitting upside down on top of my subs and the tweeters are almost at standing height, I need to angle them down at me a bit somehow.

Even so I am noticing more detail than I typically hear in all sorts of tracks, even while casually listening, and "shit in, shit out" applies with these things.
soundcloud
BasketCase +

Times thanked
<
The Bryston is really smooth... too much so in terms of transient response.

The Hypex amps sound clearer, faster and have more detail. They are also a heck of a lot cheaper, more efficient, smaller and run cooler!
I am almost considering building another pair of hypex amps to bi-amp the statesmen... just for shits and giggles.
Joe-Trojan +

distorted distortion

Times thanked
<
Interesting. I might look into buying a switcher box suited to switching amplifiers to test some that I have laying about here.

I have been emailing Kiat at Duntech, because at first I thought my pair was faulty. Although he has not listened to or even seen the Statesman he told me they have some low impedance going on in the bass region somewhere which makes them "very hard to drive".
soundcloud
Joe-Trojan +

distorted distortion

Times thanked
<
I'm meant to be downsizing with a whole load of stuff for sale. I can't actually bring myself to part with any of it then picked up this the other night:

soundcloud
meldavid +

Times thanked
<
Media Player

$15 no-brainer.
Will666 +

Times thanked
<
The Arp2600 clone is here and it sounds amazing

1st jam
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

weird sounds
http://instagram.com/p/qhgvKNI-9E/?modal=true
Soundcloud
Facebook
Beatport
Blog
Twitter
meldavid +

Times thanked
<
SONAR X3 Producer Upgrade from X2, on special at $70, early b'day present to maself.

I can finally toy with Melodyne.

Last edited by meldavid: 17-Aug-14 at 04:56pm

meldavid +

Times thanked
<
Looks like Native Instruments are releasing keyboard controllers for Komplete! Kontrol S61, S49 & S25.

Must.

Start.

Saving.

Found that info at gearslutz.

Last edited by meldavid: 31-Aug-14 at 06:18pm

Onijin +

Pastor of Muppets

Times thanked
<
^Yeah, will be eyeing off getting either a S49 or S61 keyboard with either Komplete 10 or Komplete 10 Ultimate at some stage, though might be a year or so before I finally acquire one. A Maschine is more of a priority at this stage for me.

At least Komplete is finally getting some attention after all the focus on Traktor and Maschine with extra hardware in recent years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chimby View Post

Needs more Prog imo.

My SoundCloud
meldavid +

Times thanked
<
There's a new bad-ass wavetable synth in town at a special introductory price. It's called Serum, and it sounds... bad-ass.

Media Player

Might be getting it. Just need to research if it's a redundant purchase since I already have Massive and Zebra. But damn, that presentation has me pretty sold already!
Joe-Trojan +

distorted distortion

Times thanked
<
Not bad, some nice features there.
soundcloud
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
<
^^^ Looks remarkably similar to this just released wavetable synth from WAVES currently @ $99 (normally $200).

Looks the goods too, with easy to import user wavetables, and nicely laid out, all in front, interface.

http://www.waves.com/plugins/codex

Last edited by Spectrum: 08-Oct-14 at 09:45am

chickenbum +

Times thanked
<
Ableton Push.jpg

Avantone Mixcubes.gif
meldavid +

Times thanked
<
You Logic owners now get the Alchemy sample engine with the 10.2 update. So jelly.

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/...evealed-626880

oneflightup +

Times thanked
<
new gear.... API 1608....

Nick

One Flight Up Recording Studios Sydney
oneflightup +

Times thanked
<
a photo...

Everyone's welcome to come and use it...... just book a session