Sport and Fitness

What exercise did you do today? #16

Tools
WalterBrown +

Times thanked
<
tell me , when you opppppen your eyes.........

tell me, when yo ooooooopen your eyesssss......

etc etc.
Spoiler:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gruso View Post

Don't worry. Like his job, relationships and username, it's not permanent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianwil1976 View Post

I heartily recommend visiting Budapest; every chick looks like she could've easily done double-anal in a Private movie.

Downlow +

Smokes, let's go..

Times thanked
<
Deads
Worked up to 3x2x140kg
Sumo's - 10x70kg, 8x80kg, 6x90kg, 4x95kg, 2x100kg SS planksx28sec
Ham curls - 4x15x60kg
ABs
Rotators/Calves
gotamangina +

o.O

Times thanked
<
Thanked 9,243 Times in 4,157 Posts
DEADLIFTS:
5x 25kg
5x 30kg
8x 5x 45kg

1 ARM DB ROWS:
3x 12x 10kg
5x 12kg
Tobi +

Puck Bunny

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,209 Posts
Those deads seem low for you?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astro-Boy View Post

http://theclimbingcyclist.com/climbs...ark/mt-hotham/

I will run/walk/crawl that in under 7 hours no later than 31DEC14.

Your move, Tobi.

Quote:

Hotham is only 30km, I'm planning to do that as one of my long training runs.

gotamangina +

o.O

Times thanked
<
5km run @ 5:33/km.
gotamangina +

o.O

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tobi View Post

Those deads seem low for you?

Yeah, I've had a shitty, inconsistent year and a half of training.

Ever since I introduced barbell squats into my routine I've had issues on & off with my lower back. My hips are not quite aligned with each other and putting a large compressive force on them doesn't seem to work for me. I'm trying to come back slowly by keeping squats at bodyweight and slowly introducing kettlebells or DB into the movement when I'm 100% happy with my form.

In the meantime, my numbers have dropped with deadlifts, I feel like my form isn't where it should be and my running has taken a dip, so I'm taking everything back to square one. Doing a 22 week deadlift program, which starts super low, focussing on volume initially.

Tobi +

Puck Bunny

Times thanked
<
Sounds like you a good plan in place to get back to where you want to be. Hopefully things start to improve soon.

I find consistency in training is a really hard thing to manage. I'll have a couple of good weeks then fall off the wagon for a couple of weeks. The weather hasn't been helping either.

Quote:

Your move, Tobi.

Quote:

Chharge +

Summer is coming

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,090 Times in 1,065 Posts
Had a mock olympic lifting comp at a local box on the weekend.

Totalled 197kg Snatch 82, and CJ 115kg

Pretty happy as I havent snatched in 3 months and only recently started to jerk again with a sore wrist. The jerk is a PB by a few kgs so really happy with it all!

Quote:

Originally Posted by pEAkeR_hAT View Post

Any sex enthusiast should whore it up at least once in their life IMO,
Its the oldest profession in the world.
Are you calling everyone wrong?.

Tobi +

Puck Bunny

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chharge View Post

only recently started to jerk again with a sore wrist.

Quote:

Your move, Tobi.

Quote:

Chharge +

Summer is coming

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,090 Times in 1,065 Posts
hahaha didnt even see that.

yeah I wondered why it was never getting better

Quote:

Originally Posted by pEAkeR_hAT View Post

Any sex enthusiast should whore it up at least once in their life IMO,
Its the oldest profession in the world.
Are you calling everyone wrong?.

gotamangina +

o.O

Times thanked
<
1hr Clinical Pilates.
Derelict +

Derpcore gets the derpy dollars

Times thanked
<
Thanked 5,918 Times in 3,420 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

Yeah, I've had a shitty, inconsistent year and a half of training.

Ever since I introduced barbell squats into my routine I've had issues on & off with my lower back. My hips are not quite aligned with each other and putting a large compressive force on them doesn't seem to work for me. I'm trying to come back slowly by keeping squats at bodyweight and slowly introducing kettlebells or DB into the movement when I'm 100% happy with my form.

In the meantime, my numbers have dropped with deadlifts, I feel like my form isn't where it should be and my running has taken a dip, so I'm taking everything back to square one. Doing a 22 week deadlift program, which starts super low, focussing on volume initially.

Never worry, as we have discovered, I too have a shitty dodgy lower back. I've dropped barbell squats completely. Doing KB squats for the moment, and step ups. So much less load on my lumbar spine.

Today: 531 deadlifts & back accessory work.
Music is the best drug.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post

PM derelict for manual labour shit

DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,043 Times in 1,073 Posts
Day 17 of easy strength. Today I easily squatted 90 kg and benched 67.5 kg, both of which are not too far off my 1rm. Not bad for 3 weeks back lifting.
Downlow +

Smokes, let's go..

Times thanked
<
Push
Bench - Worked up to 3x2x100kg
Press - Worked up to 3x2x57.5kg
DB press (started upright, then sets of 10 on each pin till flat) - 20kg SS Hammer curls 6x12kg
DB curls 3x10x12kg SS Pushdowns 3x10x31kg
gotamangina +

o.O

Times thanked
<
6km run @ 5:37/km.
Dj Whisper +

Bouncing off clouds

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,092 Times in 588 Posts
7km run @ 5.15
KingWicked +

Stuff an' ting

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,647 Times in 2,054 Posts
Following the cortisone jab, I thought I'd give my shoulder a small tester last night so did the deload schedule from my last cycle. Shoulder felt pretty good and no issues at all today which is cool. Probably stick to the deload weights on alternate days for the next week or so and then start again.
WalterBrown +

Times thanked
<
Hero WOD

200 double unders
50 OHS
50 pull ups
1 mile run

X2

40 min cap, i only got to the 2nd round of pulls ups,

run was ok, pull ups my enemy
Spoiler:

Quote:

Quote:

I heartily recommend visiting Budapest; every chick looks like she could've easily done double-anal in a Private movie.

gotamangina +

o.O

Times thanked
<
PULLUPS:
2x 1 (strict)
3x 5 (down only)

MILITARY PRESS:
5x 10kg
5x 12.5kg
4x 5x 15kg

DB BENCH PRESS:
5x 5kg
5x 6kg
10x 8kg
3x 5x 10kg
WalterBrown +

Times thanked
<
Another BS WOD with heaps of pulls ups and olympic lifts that frustrated the fuck out of me and made me feel like punching a wall after,

ah well, it'll come I guess !
Spoiler:

Quote:

Quote:

Derelict +

Times thanked
<
Leg day:
40kg db goblet squats
leg press for days
top 1/2 leg extensions for days
hamstring curls

Because of my dodgy lower back, actually started using machines for legs.
Music is the best drug.

Quote:

WalterBrown +

Times thanked
<
What happened to it ? ^
Spoiler:

Quote:

Quote:

Downlow +

Smokes, let's go..

Times thanked
<
Squats
Worked up to 3x2x110kg
Box Squats - 10x60kg, 8x70kg, 6x75kg, 4x80kg, 2x85kg SS V-Tucks x21
Lunges - 3x6x12kg SS 1-arm rows 10x32kg
DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derelict View Post

Because of my dodgy lower back, actually started using machines for legs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Nuckols

Don’t let anyone tell you that you HAVE to do any particular exercise, unless you are a competitive strength athlete, and the particular exercise is a piece of your sport or absolutely crucial to your performance. For example, if you’re a powerlifter, you probably need to squat, bench press, and deadlift if you want to be good at powerlifting. If you’re a weightlifter, you need to snatch and clean & jerk if you’re going to be good at weightlifting. If you’re a strongman, you probably need to practice the events in your upcoming show if you’re going to have a good showing across the board. Beyond that, there are no exercises that you HAVE to do. For any exercise, you have to ask yourself, “What am I trying to accomplish by doing this?” A great example is squatting, particularly any discrete style of squatting. There are lots of people who will tell you that, regardless of your goals, you should be squatting heavy, below parallel, on a regular basis.

That is absolute nonsense.

If you’re a powerlifter, you should probably squat in the manner you want to compete. When you ask yourself, “What am I trying to accomplish by doing this,” the answer is obvious and straightforward: You’re trying to get stronger in a very specific movement because your strength and proficiency in that movement is one-third of your sport.

If you’re a weightlifter, and you want to be able to produce a lot of force from a true ass-to-grass position when catching cleans or snatches, it would probably behoove you to squat in a manner that allows you to do just that. Again, you ask yourself, “What am I trying to accomplish by doing this.” Moving more weight for the sake of moving more weight doesn’t accomplish the purpose you’re training to accomplish – building strength through a long range of motion – if it compromises range of motion or trains you in patterns that aren’t specific to your sport. In this case, since you can’t lean super far forward recovering from a clean or snatch, squatting with a more inclined torso angle is doing less to accomplish the purpose of the movement.

If you’re a strongman, the purpose of the squat is even less specific, unless your upcoming show has a squatting event in it. If you squat, it’s just to build general lower body strength for events that require strong hips and a strong torso. “Build general lower body and torso strength” is the answer to the important question of “What am I trying to accomplish by doing this?” However, there’s no specific style of back squat you have to do to accomplish that. Heck, you don’t even have to do back squats. Quite a few strongmen almost exclusively front squat, or squat with a safety squat bar since it’s more similar to a yoke. Depth is also less of a concern because there are very few instances in strongman competitions where you have to develop maximal force with simultaneously high degrees of both knee and hip flexion. If you’re a team-sport athlete, your reason for squatting is even less specific yet!

If you squat, the sole reason is to be strong enough that you can run, jump, and cut at top speeds. You’ll see very few football or basketball players squatting ass-to-grass. Furthermore, a lot of strength training programs are more concerned with bar speed than the weight on the bar itself, so the training stimulus would be more directly transferable to the speed of movement on the field/court/pitch. Since there’s no test of maximal strength in competition, training the squat purely for maximal strength doesn’t make any sense; the strongest powerlifters squat more than the strongest football players, but the strongest football players certainly squat enough to kill the strongest powerlifters on the football field.

Also, since the answer to “What am I trying to accomplish by doing this?” is simply “build enough general lower body strength to perform well in competition,” there’s no law saying they have to do any sort of traditional squat at all. Many coaches rely on single leg squatting variations, step ups, jump variations, lunges, etc., with no back squats at all.
If you’re training purely for hypertrophy, the squat is even less important. Sure, squatting is a tried-and-true way to build some big wheels, but if you have some sort of injury that makes squatting uncomfortable, or you simply don’t like to squat, YOU DON’T HAVE TO SQUAT. Heck, the leg press or hack-squat machine may be even better for your goals, since you can work your legs harder without having to worry about stabilizing the weight or spinal erector fatigue. “What am I trying to accomplish by doing this?” is simply “get big legs.” If squatting is the only thing you can think of to get bigger legs, you probably need a little more imagination in your life. And if you do squat, there’s no specific way you have to squat – just do it with enough volume and intensity to really hammer the muscles you’re trying to grow. If you’re just lifting for the fun of it, and for general health … I really don’t think I should have to finish this paragraph.

This principle applies to any and all exercises. If it’s something you do in competition, you probably need to do it. If it’s something that directly supports something that you do in competition, you should probably do it in the way that is specific to the demands of your sport. If you have a more general goal you’re trying to accomplish (such as “build general lower body strength”), there will be a pool of acceptable exercises that you can use to accomplish your goal. You certainly don’t have to rely on a very specific way of performing one exercise.

Remember, always ask yourself why you’re doing what you’re doing. If there are several ways of accomplishing the same goal, no single way is indispensable. And keep in mind, if you simply don’t like doing something, and it’s not crucial to your success, you don’t have to do it.

Someone else may say you have to do it. The online zeitgeist may have taken a fascination with it. But avoid getting caught up in the crowd. If something isn’t required to accomplish the goals you have set for yourself (and unless your specific goal is proficiency in that particular thing for its own sake, and it’s not required), don’t get tunnel vision. Do things because they directly help you meet your goals. The latest fad or fascination may be in line with your goals, but it may not be.

Taken from the Greg Nuckols eBook "The Art of Lifting". It's a pretty basic but worthwhile read, I can PM you a download link for a free copy from his site if you'd like it.
Dj Whisper +

Bouncing off clouds

Times thanked
<
40 min ride
5km run @ 5.30
Acperience 1 +

Times thanked
<
3.89km @ 4:40 - https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/842805214

Quote:

I don't go to be in the VIP area.. I don't need big breaks, a big song with a buildup and lights and smoke.. all you need is a kickdrum and a good bassline. You don't need any of that other shit. Na, I'm not going for none of those reasons.. I'm just going for the music.

jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,490 Posts
pm the link duncs
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative." John Stuart Mill
DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
Sent you an email.
Derelict +

Times thanked
<
Good snippet there. Previously I was squatting because I wanted big squat numbers. Not so much these days, now I just want strong, and big legs. I can achieve that without doing barbell back squats.

Friday: Shoulders 5/3/1 press & Biceps
Music is the best drug.

Quote:

Last edited by Derelict: 25-Jul-15 at 12:57pm

DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
I think you mean you can achieve it without squats, right?
Derelict +

Times thanked
<
lol, good typo there
Music is the best drug.

Quote:

Tobi +

Puck Bunny

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tobi View Post

I went snowboarding.

Wash & repeat.
Acperience 1 +

Times thanked
<
5.42km run between destinations
1.62km HIIT training hill sprints
Gym: back and triceps
1114 caloric expenditure afternoon

Quote:

I don't go to be in the VIP area.. I don't need big breaks, a big song with a buildup and lights and smoke.. all you need is a kickdrum and a good bassline. You don't need any of that other shit. Na, I'm not going for none of those reasons.. I'm just going for the music.

DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derelict View Post

lol, good typo there

Word
Tobi +

Puck Bunny

Times thanked
<
It's hasn't stopped snowing all day.

Freshies to be had every single run.
Downlow +

Smokes, let's go..

Times thanked
<
Deads
Worked up to 2x1x150kg
Sumo's - 10x70kg, 10x80kg, 7x90kg, 5x95kg, 3x100kg SS planksx30sec
Ham curls - 4x15x60kg
ABs
Rotators/Calves
gotamangina +

o.O

Times thanked
<
5km run @ 5:19/km.
WalterBrown +

Times thanked
<
getting good again mum ^

abs today, clean&jerk also
Spoiler:

Quote:

Quote:

Dj Whisper +

Bouncing off clouds

Times thanked
<
45min ride
Neutral pull-downs
Upright rows

Last edited by Dj Whisper: 27-Jul-15 at 03:22pm

gotamangina +

o.O

Times thanked
<
DEADLIFTS:
5x 25kg
5x 30kg
10x 5x 47.5kg

ONE ARM DB ROWS:
3x 12x 10kg
2x 5x 12kg
gotamangina +

o.O

Times thanked
<
8km run @ 5:40/km.

4.5km bike ride.
gotamangina +

o.O

Times thanked
<
1hr Clinical Pilates.

4.5km bike ride.
Dj Whisper +

Bouncing off clouds

Times thanked
<
yesterday: 3 x 600m rows
20 mins easy ride

today: 10 km run @ 5.22
gotamangina +

o.O

Times thanked
<
5km run @ 5:44/km.

4.5km bike ride.
WalterBrown +

Times thanked
<
attempted 100 DU fastest

did 60 unbroken then pecs broke, brian broke, and fucked up the rest
Spoiler:

Quote:

Quote:

Downlow +

Smokes, let's go..

Times thanked
<
Weds
Bench
Worked up to 2x1x110kg

Today
Squats
Worked up to 2x1x120kg
Box Squats - 10x60kg, 8x70kg, 6x75kg, 4x80kg, 2x85kg SS V-Tucks x21
Thigh exten - 5x15x(30-60kg) SS Seated row 5x10x31kg
Standing glute extension machine thing - 4x10x40kg SS 1-arm rows 10x30kg
gotamangina +

o.O

Times thanked
<
7km run @ 5:51/km.
Dj Whisper +

Bouncing off clouds

Times thanked
<
Friday - golf
Sat - 45 min ride, chest, shoulders
Sun - voodball
WalterBrown +

Times thanked
<
box jumps, kb swings, db cleans, rope climbs

bleeding shin from descending

yay
Spoiler:

Quote:

Quote:

gotamangina +

o.O

Times thanked
<
5km run @ 5:58/km.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »