The Main Room

Online TV shows (eg. House of Cards), and the challenge to our forum rules.

Tools
Gruso +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 20,931 Times in 6,226 Posts
Online TV shows (eg. House of Cards), and the challenge to our forum rules.
Hi all. This is just a casual discussion, not another big poll or anything.

In our recent rule change, we acknowledged the fact that most TV shows are now available digitally (Netflix, Hulu, Foxtel on demand etc). This puts digital viewers and broadcast viewers out of sync, and we needed to clarify the spoiler rules as a result. In short, open (non-spoiler tagged) discussion can not commence until an episode has aired on Australian TV.

It seems to have been working nicely. But shows like House of Cards have introduced a new situation: Each new season is released digitally in one block, while it also goes out weekly on Showtime AU. This means you could have watched the entire season already, completely legally, while the broadcast watchers have only seen ep1.

It may be tempting to tell people to stop being dinosaurs, and go digital so they're not lagging behind. But there are valid reasons for people to watch it week by week. Some aren't binge watchers; they enjoy the weekly ritual. Others simply don't have the internet quality to watch shows digitally. And praise be to Rupert, you can be certain that weekly airing in this country is not going anywhere in a hurry.

In terms of our forum rules, we have two paths we can go down:
  1. We stick with the current system - waiting for local airing before open discussion. This means an increasing number of users will have difficulty participating in the thread (try discussing the nuances of ep2 without spoilers when you've just binge watched the whole thing...)
  2. We treat Foxtel on demand availability as "local airing", which it effectively is, and make the thread a free-for-all. But this alienates people who don't make use of the service, and removes some good ITMers from the conversation.

Again this is not a rule vote, just an informal discussion. House of Cards won't be the last show that throws this scenario at us. Post yer thoughts.

Last edited by Gruso: 17-Feb-14 at 03:05pm

ABitPatchy +

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,550 Times in 1,587 Posts
If a show is available for binge on an AUSTRALIAN service like Foxtel, open discussion should be allowed.

If it is a US only way of watching a show, spoiler tags remain in place until after the weekly Australian airing.
CAT API
Geezah +

Raaaaaaaaaaaaarrghh

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,844 Times in 1,176 Posts
Hi I'm Gruso's Bitch. You may remember me from the thread Something Something Something I Can't Remember The Awesome Title And Poll Now that I started. Actually, no you won't cause I'm Gruso's bitch and he pulled rank - what a motherfucker.

Anyway, I'm a weekly ritualist. I think it should remain a weekly thing regardless of Foxtel On Demand. That is unless Foxtel proper start showing a show like House of Cards like they did last year, 2 or 3 episodes at a time. C'mon peeps, threads will be done in two weeks if we go the binge route.
dementruck +

magic crappens

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,111 Times in 585 Posts
i think erring on the side of caution is best. we'll have more (and hopefully better!) discussion if spoilers are used until local airing takes place.

i use netflix and started watching house of cards last night, but didn't watch it all. i think the conversation would be pretty poor if only the people who had watched the entire season were game to enter the thread.
nah mate
ChemicalJames +

GREEN EGGS AND HAm

Times thanked
<
Lol, i won't be going into the house of cards thread at all until i've seen the whole season. Common sense imo.
fffffffff
Gruso +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 20,931 Times in 6,226 Posts
bump

This issue has come up again with Orange is the new Black S2. More discussion & opinion wanted.
Ruthykins +

Stay awake little missfit

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,060 Times in 1,862 Posts
I think for a show like Orange is the new black, jerks with no lives (jk) are going to binge watch that shit in a day, making them spoiler tag EVERY post is just silly and not conducive to an in depth conversation. I'm avoiding the thread until I've gotten around to watching the season, it shouldn't be too hard.
Ya baloney
jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,490 Posts
spoiler imo
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative." John Stuart Mill
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
<
Thanked 6,687 Times in 3,877 Posts
I think spoiler tags until local episodic screenings is fine as a rule. Though it might need modification for shows that have a big gap between on-demand release and local screenings- maybe free for all after one month?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdoodle View Post

not liking yoda is like knocking back a root when presented nude in a YD change room

Quote:

Originally Posted by mischa21 View Post

^mmmm all this talk of meat is getting me excited.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »