The Main Room

Micro Four Thirds

Tools
autumn acid +

pandering

Times thanked
<
I'm hanging to see iso noise. If it's on par with my d90 I will seriously consider one.
DJ Cue +

Times thanked
<
Considering that it's sensor & processor is based on the G1 and not the GH1, I have my doubts Autumn Acid, but you never know, I may be surprised
nettsu +

http://about.me/nettsu

Times thanked
<

http://www.cultofmac.com/gadget-pana...y-camera/15487

I think I'd go the EP1 over this just based on design
i take photos
saad +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
i think im gonna go the GF1. Love the LX3 and this looks similar, and has better AF and screen than the EP1
www.myspace.com/saadhafiz

www.flickr.com/photos/saadme

"You're a Class A **** selling Class C drugs"
spinal_faun +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
the beauty of the micro four thirds format is that you should be able to use lens from other manufacturers so if you get the EP-1 you could still use the Panasonic lenses.
Just Squeeze Me

Now with the added goodness of Myspace

http://www.myspace.com/spinal_faun
DJ Cue +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by spinal_faun

the beauty of the micro four thirds format is that you should be able to use lens from other manufacturers so if you get the EP-1 you could still use the Panasonic lenses.

Too right mate, I'm currently using an f-mount adapter as well as an OM adapter so that I can use other lenses with my E-P1, one of the big things for me as to why I think I'll stick with the Oly is because of the in body stabilistation...Methinks I need it with the sort of stuff I shoot
nettsu +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Cue

Too right mate, I'm currently using an f-mount adapter as well as an OM adapter so that I can use other lenses with my E-P1, one of the big things for me as to why I think I'll stick with the Oly is because of the in body stabilistation...Methinks I need it with the sort of stuff I shoot

Apparently olympus is expecting that people will buy the pen as a second camera. People will still have their proper dSLR and will have the pen as the camera they take out on a more frequent basis. I'm tempted to get it also for the HD video capability. Having a camera & video camera in one suddenly doesn't seem like a bad idea... (I know I've blasted them before). I would still prefer to not have a video camera but we need one apparently
i take photos
nettsu +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Cue

a question if I may

most of the reviews around the EP-1 seem to comment that the EP-1 is slow to focus - is this true? and how slow is it?

The GF1 seems to be getting better reviews based on performance but it misses out on the inbuilt image stabilisation

I'm sort of torn really... I think I want the EP-1 and I'm not sure if I can wait for the GF1 to become available (according to the panasonic website it will be available in October with a RRP of $1,649)

http://panasonic.com.au/products/det...?objectID=5377
i take photos
DJ Cue +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by nettsu

a question if I may

most of the reviews around the EP-1 seem to comment that the EP-1 is slow to focus - is this true? and how slow is it?

The GF1 seems to be getting better reviews based on performance but it misses out on the inbuilt image stabilisation

I'm sort of torn really... I think I want the EP-1 and I'm not sure if I can wait for the GF1 to become available (according to the panasonic website it will be available in October with a RRP of $1,649)

http://panasonic.com.au/products/det...?objectID=5377

In all honesty, I think when they're referring to the unit's speed of focus, they're essentially comparing it to the focus of the DSLR. If you need the speed of focus of a DSLR, use your DSLR :-P But as far as it goes, the focus isn't too slow, the main reason as to why people are saying that it's slow is because when it focuses, I'm pretty sure it always goes to infinity and works its way back from there. Having said that, it's still faster than the focus of any compact. But it's not going to be the camera for you if you're going to be shooting sports and stuff like that. But provided you have the extra fifth of a second to precompose your shot, you'll be fine.

I'm led to believe that a firmware update that is going to be released on the 15th of September is going to rectify this issue (rumour has it that Oly got ahold of pana's focusing algorithm) but I won't be able to tell you for sure until the 15th champ Knowing pana's track record, even though they say it'll be available October, I reckon you'd be hard pressed finding anyone who has it. But the kicker for me is the 20mm f/1.7 I'll be interested to have a play around with that when it comes out. On my e-p1, a superfast prime with body stabilisation and I'm also led to believe better noise performance than the GF1....everything that I'd ever want.............................................. .....for now :-P
nettsu +

Times thanked
<
a superfast prime

I'm really very tempted
namely due to it being dSLR like and the video quality that and it will fit in a nappy bag much easier than my 40D
i take photos
autumn acid +

pandering

Times thanked
<
Does the 20mm prime translate to a 50mm on 35mm format? Or is it a superwide fuck off prime lens?
EAD
DJ Cue +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by autumn acid

Does the 20mm prime translate to a 50mm on 35mm format? Or is it a superwide fuck off prime lens?

Nah, all four thirds and micro four thirds run off a 2x conversion. So 40mm in 35mm terms...
autumn acid +

pandering

Times thanked
<
That's still pretty nifty!
EAD
DJ Cue +

Times thanked
<
But it doesn't rhyme! :-P
paulV +

locked.loaded

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by djway

Have they corrected the main issue vs SLR's?

Where the preview/image is NOT EXACTLY what the lens is seeing/will photograph. The whole SLR thingy is about seeing through the lens, not slightly next to it/above it/below it.

Maybe have been fixed years ago, I donno...

--djway

They did fix this in fixed focal lenses years ago, years and years and years ago. TTL viewfinders are something that is a really good thing in SLRs. However rangefinder cameras, on which some of the greatest photos in history have been taken were not viewed TTL - they used a view finder.

The used parallax correction which corrected the shift in vision generally by using floating grid lines in the viewfinder. Mind you the shift is only actually apparent at close focussed subjects anyway.

The other way they compensated for the shift is by increasing the field of vision in the viewfinders, with a frame inside the viewfinder indicating the area of the photo. Allowing you to see around the framed image to better compose your shot.

Voightlander Bessa rangefinders actually have a 1:1 viewfinder so it is possible to shoot with both eyes open as the view finder matches your field of vision. Thus allowing for the ultimate cyborg style creative experience whilst framing your shot.

In summary, the absolute need for TTL viewfinding is a load of horseshit
Mickstah +

"Science needs to be applied to beds"

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,159 Times in 1,819 Posts
So Ash linked me to this tasty piece of hardware.

Rumours

Quote:

Originally Posted by photorumors.com

* With a maximum aperture of F/0.95, the Noktor Hyperprime is the fastest lens designed for Micro Four Thirds cameras (no adapter needed). At open aperture, the lens renders pictures and video with extreme shallow depth of field for a unique aesthetic.
* Extreme Low-light Shooting.
* In low-light photography and cinematography, the lens exceeds the perception of the human eye. From nightscapes to campfires, now you can shoot in situations that are often impossible to capture with a normal lens.

Technical Specifications

* Focal Length 50mm
* Maximum Aperture F0.95
* Minimum Aperture F16
* Autofocus No
* Internal Focusing No
* Rear Focusing Yes
* Minimum Focus Distance 1.9 ft. (0.6m)
* Angle of View 46
* Lens (Elements) 8
* Lens (Groups) 7
* Dimensions 2.92.1 in.
* Weight (280g)
* Mount Type Micro Four Thirds
* Accepts Filter Type Screw-on
* Filter Size 62mm

http://thephoblographer.com/2010/02/...g-from-noktor/

I WANT!!
ಥ_ಥ - - - - - - - - - - - -ಠ_

"She was like a candle in the wind... unreliable."
Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
More cooler than a dolphin
Let's hug me

NismoR31 +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 10,810 Times in 4,660 Posts
at f/0.95 i wonder how many mazillion dollars they will cost

Last edited by NismoR31: 18-Feb-10 at 03:47pm

Mickstah +

Times thanked
<
Hopefully only 1 mazillion

Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
Let's hug me

autumn acid +

pandering

Times thanked
<
LOL, with a DOF like that you'd have to be careful not to fart at the risk of losing focus!
EAD
Mickstah +

Times thanked
<
I'll fart whenever I please orright.

Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
Let's hug me

NismoR31 +

Times thanked
<
got compact?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tysonrobichaud/4431496726/

check out some of his other pics. he has a thing for sticking big lenses on micro 4/3 bodies
DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,043 Times in 1,073 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by autumn acid

LOL, with a DOF like that you'd have to be careful not to fart at the risk of losing focus!

No autofocus either. It''ll be a bit of a crap shoot getting what you want in focus.
Mickstah +

Times thanked
<
Well the pre-orders are already closed, and it's priced at $750.

http://noktor.com/products.php

Lack of autofocus isn't an issue for me as I do enjoy playing around with manual focus. And I'd be keen to see what effects you can get on it with such shallow dof.

Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
Let's hug me

NismoR31 +

Times thanked
<
i wonder when the big boys are going to get involved in m4/3
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickstah

So Ash linked me to this tasty piece of hardware.

Rumours

http://thephoblographer.com/2010/02/...g-from-noktor/

I WANT!!

OK, finally worked out who actually makes (or planning to make) the optics for these things:
http://www.goyooptical.com/products.html

And Micro-four-thirds is a 2x crop factor yeah, so 50mm = 100mm focal length, which might be a bit tight for many uses, especially low light, handheld scenes.

It'd be perfect for portraits though.
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by NismoR31

i wonder when the big boys are going to get involved in m4/3

I reckon the Canon G12 should go this way, but would it cannibalize the entry DSLRs? But then does that matter, they've still bottom heavy at this end of the market anyway.
DJ Cue +

Times thanked
<
So, already own an E-P1 and bought an E-PL1 for the missus...She loves it and in all honesty, so do I....it's a great little camera
Mickstah +

Times thanked
<
How does the build quality compare to the E-P1 - are all the features there?

And how does the flash fare?

One last question, how much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
Let's hug me

DJ Cue +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

How does the build quality compare to the E-P1 - are all the features there?

And how does the flash fare?

One last question, how much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

Mate, the build quality isn't as solid as the EP-1. It doesn't have metal faceplates like the EP-1, they're plastic. But as far as plastic goes, it still feel pretty solid. Just walking around shops, I see that JB have them in store...ask one of them to pull it out to have a feel of it. It's not too bad at all. In terms of features, it technically has a few more features than the E-P1 & E-P2. But the E-PL1 only goes to 3200 ISO, as opposed to 6400, having said that, I was amazed as to how relatively clean the output of the JPEGs are at 1600. They're actually a bit cleaner than my E-P1, but I expected that seeing as it's a new model and all. As you know, it has the popup flash, and amusingly enough, it has full wireless flash control - something that my E-P1 doesn't have. So I was able to use my Oly flashes wirelessly straight out of the box. Something that my friend pointed out because he's a video enthusiast, was that you get manual control in video recording also. I don't have a huge amount of knowledge in this field, but my friend did say whilst he was playing with it, that my E-P1 didn't give him the chance to change shutter and gain/ISO, only Aperture, whereas the E-PL1 gives him the lot. Actually when I was in store, one of the Olympus reps were there and she showed me the new 14-150 (28-300 35mm equiv) that was coming out in June. It's SOOOOO FRICKING SMALL!!!! The rep said that when it was retracted, it was only like 8cms. So I'll most definately buy that lens when it comes out because that'll be our perfect travelling lens.

For a seasoned DSLR shooter, it's much nicer to use the E-P1 as you use the dials to chance Aperture and Shutter - the E-PL1 doesn't have the dials...When you're in manual modes, all your adjustments to your A&S is done via buttons. However this camera is targeting the consumer market so a lot of people aren't really going to worry about the manual modes - they'll just stick it on I-Auto and that'll prolly be it. In terms of size, it's still bloody small when compared to a DSLR

The flash, in terms of light output is somewhere in between a compact and a DSLR's, but prolly closer to a DSLRs range. It gets the job done. Useful for close fill in and you can control its intensity output for low light natural light portraiture.

I was pretty glad with the price I got for it. Went into my local store where I've bought a fair whack of gear from so for the unit, I ended up picking it up for roughly about $910 I'd say (I got a whole heap of other accessories too) But all in all, very very happy. Tomorrow I'll be taking it to Liberate with the 17mm F2.8 to take some Tyas & Halliwell shots
DJ Cue +

Times thanked
<
Just while I'm thinking about it, if anyone lives around the Gold Coast area, my mate picked up an E-P1 single lens kit with the 14-42 from Harvey Norman Tweed Heads for just over $710...I didn't think that was too bad a price...
Mickstah +

Times thanked
<
Fuck that's an awesome price considering I paid 1k AUD for that same set-up close to this time last year...

Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
Let's hug me

hazelg +

Nu Skool

Times thanked
<
What really is the main and the most wonderful thing or feature about that micro four thirds?
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
<
it takes photos
Mickstah +

Times thanked
<
Nice photos, using interchangeable lenses and is very portable.

Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
Let's hug me

Cavey +

^_~

Times thanked
<
and it shoots lazers.

Katsu kangae wa motsu na makenu kangae wa hitsuyo.

Cavey for president. :xxnu
You're a freaky unit :trippytrip
Ruthykins +

Stay awake little missfit

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,060 Times in 1,862 Posts
and makes you as cool as any other hipster...ooooooo zing!
Ya baloney
Mickstah +

Times thanked
<
Isn't that what lomo's are for?

PS. I <3 my lomo

PPS. Ruthy you're far more hipster than I

Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
Let's hug me

Ruthykins +

Times thanked
<
still havent seen any of your Lomo shots Mickstah...make sure you take an edgy self portrait while wearing the pork pot pie hat and senseless glasses I know you own!
Ya baloney
Mickstah +

Times thanked
<
I barely even know what a pork pie hat is...

Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
Let's hug me

Ruthykins +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I barely even know what a pork pie hat is...

your lack of hipsterness disgusts me, turn your lomo in at the door on your way out!
Ya baloney
Mickstah +

Times thanked
<
Is it made of pork?
If you say no I'm going to be extremely disappointed.

Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
Let's hug me

DJ Cue +

Times thanked
<
Hmmmm....Got out to PMA Melbourne...Found out that the E-PL1 single kit just got reduced to $799 FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!! But, on the other hand, got to play with their new 14-150 and 9-18...fast as anything to focus, seriously would be splitting hairs comparing the focus speed to DSLRs with the new lenses....very very cool
bussyboy +

Sounds fair

Times thanked
<
Has anyone seen the Panasonic G2 yet? Seriously considering this as a new camera - not for the touch screen, but everything else...
Mickstah +

Times thanked
<
The G2? I haven't seen it so I can't really tell if it will be bulkier than the GF-1 (which is a sexy camera, got to see it for the first time yesterday) but it sounds the goods. Just read a bit about it here.

Also I got to check out the Sony Nex-3 and Nex-5 yesterday. I don't mind the form factor. When I first saw it online I hated it. But it looks much better in person (and tiny!!!). They were demonstrating the shooting modes and particularly HD video which looked fantastic. But my major gripe with this baby is that Sony went and made another proprietary lens mount instead of using a fucking Micro four thirds mount (fuck you for being so predictable Sony!) so of course there's only two lenses you can use with it at the moment - 16mm F2.8 pancake and the 18-200mm F3.5-5.6.

Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
Let's hug me

bussyboy +

Sounds fair

Times thanked
<
Saw the TV ad for the G2: "Apeture - really big... shutter speed - really quick" - sounds like me

I'm aware of my spelling error
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by canonrumours.com

Masaya Maeda spills the beans
Canon’s head of their Image Communications Products has told Reuters that Canon is working on an EVIL/Small DSLR camera.

Maeda also said the company was working on a smaller version of its upmarket single-lens reflex (SLR) cameras in a bid to compete with the new breed of mid-range so-called “mirrorless” cameras launched by Sony Corp, Olympus Corp, and Panasonic Corp.

Maeda went a few steps further.

“It’s not a question of whether or not you have a mirror. There is a consumer need for good-quality cameras to be made smaller,” Maeda said. “We will meet this need.”

He did mention that a mirror may still be part of the equation. So perhaps not an EVIL but a really small digital SLR that could take EF & EF-S lenses?
“It’s not a question of whether or not you have a mirror. There is a consumer need for good-quality cameras to be made smaller,” Maeda said. “We will meet this need.”
He denied this would be difficult without removing the internal mirror, adding that Canon had produced very small SLR cameras in the past.

could canon finally be going for this market?
autumn acid +

pandering

Times thanked
<
Hope so, because these things are too expensive...

DO WANT: Full frame, small camera.
EAD
Mickstah +

Times thanked
<
It would be great to see Canon release something in this category, I do hope that it is using the four thirds lens mount but I'm not holding my breath after sony just released the NEX with its proprietary mount (from sony?! Never!!)

I'd just like to see what Canon would come up with in the way of Lens' (oh, and body as well I guess, haha)

Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
Let's hug me

NismoR31 +

Times thanked
<
EFM most likely
autumn acid +

pandering

Times thanked
<
LOL, how silly do the Sony's look with those lenses. How the shit could they be enjoyable to hold? TBH don't mind the weight of a hefty camera behind a big lens just to balance shit out.
EAD

« Previous Thread Next Thread »