The DJ Booth

New Behringer mixer DDM4000. The new 'budget mixer' king?

Tools
DJ Fusion +

As real as it gets...

Times thanked
<
New Behringer mixer DDM4000. The new 'budget mixer' king?
Check out the specs on this bad-boy:

* 32-bit digital DJ mixer with beat-synchronized sampler, 4 multi-FX sections, 2 patented* BPM counters, digital crossfader and MIDI
* 4 Phono/Line stereo channels allowing max. 8 signal sources to be connected simultaneously
* 2 Microphone inputs with Gain, EQ, Talk function and FX
* 4 stereo channels with Gain, programmable parametric 3-band EQ with Kill function, fader curve control and flexible crossfader assignment
* Sophisticated sampler with beat-controlled loop function, real-time pitch control, sampler FX and crossfader start option
* 2 freely assignable and BPM-synchronized, high-quality FX engines (Bitcrusher, Resonator, Reverb, Flanger, etc.)
* Ultra-fast, accurate and patented* BPM counter for automatic BPM synchronization of sampler, FX, crossfader and external drum machines, etc. via MIDI

* Digital crossfader with flexible curve adjustment, reverse button and automatic, BPM-synchronized crossfading
* Dual-mode crossfader with innovative frequency-selective crossfading
* Dedicated Headphone section includes PFL Mix/Split and Bass/Snare boost functions
* Recall your last mixer setting at the push of a button
* Digital S/PDIF output for direct recording of your performance
* High-quality components and exceptionally rugged construction ensure long life

“The digital DJ mixer DDM4000 is unique in its ability to customise settings for individual DJ performance needs.The user can program and recall crossover frequencies of the EQ and deep edit effects and other parameters. Moreover, excellent manufacturing quality, crystal clear sound, extensive connectivity and MIDI control functions make the DDM4000 the fully digital 32-bit DJ tool of trade of the next generation” explained Kevin Mertens, DJ Product Manager.

http://www.storedj.com.au/products/product.php?id=1490

All for under $600.

I've been thinking about upgrading my old Numark DXM06 to something with BPM-matched FX and some onboard looping and this mixer looks unbeatable for the price, although it is Behringer brand, but I've never had a problem with any of my Behringer gear before and if I buy locally from someone with good after-sales support it shouldn't be a problem.

Anyone heard/seen anything more about this mixer?
Fear my latest tune.

Last edited by DJ Fusion: 17-Jul-07 at 12:21pm

chappo_85 +

Hai!

Times thanked
<
look at where the headphone input is. that would shit me to tears.
See me naked at: Jack'd 2nd Birthday with Format B @ Mono 25/03/11

http://soundcloud.com/chappo
BMoney +

What's on YOUR mind?

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,088 Times in 611 Posts
^^ Hmmm, yeah, the cord could cause havoc with the fader/channels but $600??!! That's a steal!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerry2234 View Post

People need to learn how fucking dance rather then playing with there phones rocking side to side

Jumpy1 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMoney

^^ Hmmm, yeah, the cord could cause havoc with the fader/channels but $600??!! That's a steal!

a better budget friendly choice is the new American audio MX1400DSP costs about $849
imo .. check it!

Circuit Breaker Out Now! Australias BEST new Electro, Breaks & Hip-Hop ------ Buy JUMPY T-shirts
BMoney +

What's on YOUR mind?

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,088 Times in 611 Posts
I've not had luck with American Audio, and that's $250 more than the $600 Behringer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerry2234 View Post

People need to learn how fucking dance rather then playing with there phones rocking side to side

chico_brisbane +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
Don't get Behringer. I have a DJX700 (came with my cdj) and the sound quality is appaling. The faders are also shotty and can't cope with alot of use - I have to keep changing between channels to give them a rest for a few days.

If you want effects and quality sound - wait it out and buy something better. Even check out the DXM09, it's a tad better

Quote:

Originally Posted by plan-b

I thought the original mix was better but as chico put it... "This track's a bit batty"

Playing:

Transmission "The Magic City" @ The Arena - June 21st

MySpace
Inthemix Profile
Jumpy1 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMoney

I've not had luck with American Audio, and that's $250 more than the $600 Behringer.

some of ther old mixers were crap but id put my money on this being alot better than the behhringer.
Circuit Breaker Out Now! Australias BEST new Electro, Breaks & Hip-Hop ------ Buy JUMPY T-shirts
DJ Fusion +

As real as it gets...

Times thanked
<
Damn that headphone jack is a shocker! Nothing some gaff-tape wouldn't fix though to run the cabling down the right side of the mixer. Still, what were they thinking...

chico: The DJX700 isn't 32-bit digital so hopefully the 4000 doesn't have the same sound-quality issues as your old Behri mixer. And personally, going from a DXM06 myself and looking at the specs of the DXM09, it doesn't seem to even come close to the specs of the 4000.

Jumpy: I can't see why thats a better choice sorry. American Audio is probably the only brand in the industry I'd put lower than Behringer, and for $250 more it has even less features? At least its headphone jack isn't in a retarded place though, lol.
THE BEAT +

Times thanked
<
Yeh my major issue would be the sound quality and the faders. I had one a while back and the sound is just hideous to the point where a bad mix doesnt stand out the way it should, sound just isnt clear. The faders seem to bleed in that the more they are used the less they get picked up, meaning that you can have an up fader 3/4 the way up bringing the next track in and hearing very minimnal if anything.
"On the decks Carter exudes a positive vibe thats downright contagious while he blasts you with filthy infectious rythms and turntable mastery"
Jumpy1 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Fusion

Jumpy: I can't see why thats a better choice sorry. American Audio is probably the only brand in the industry I'd put lower than Behringer, and for $250 more it has even less features? At least its headphone jack isn't in a retarded place though, lol.

haha i dont know why u have that opinion, ive worked in shops and seen the return rates and the AA is alot better ... even the old crappy ones. Ive tryed DJX700 and the MX1400 and the MX feels tonns better... i havent seen the New behringer yet.

Im just saying try em both
Neo_ +

Monkey

Times thanked
<
I would have one purely as a midi mixer and use a separate sound interface.

No way in hell would i buy one to actually use as a mixer.
Jay Parker.

Quote:

Originally Posted by risk

jesus christ, when was the last time any of you came to newcastle?

it's not fucking deliverance

NEONSPACE
saad +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
However, theyve been developing this for some time, it may be half decent
www.myspace.com/saadhafiz

www.flickr.com/photos/saadme

"You're a Class A **** selling Class C drugs"
Nixtol +

Tolerating crap since '82

Times thanked
<
DJX700 I owned, died a very slow death, it was a progressive disease...

First month = FX Button dies(no FX/)
2 Months Later = transform switch snaps off on one channel
A bit later than that = centre faders that I had been using the most start to fail

Not to mention the EQ pots that seemed to be more like rotary switches, nothing nothing nothing, then you get to about -4 db and bam, you got sound.

I hope this new mixer is a big step up for them, but the last one was a dog. But you get what you pay for.....
Snatch & Grab
Phoenix
Lesbian-Indie-Weekly
www.myspace.com/snatch_and_grab
Cosmica +

OS

Times thanked
<
Stick with the Numark, far superior mixer even with less features.
!!!
trashy +

Top Dog

Times thanked
<
i think what these sort of mixers offer is a chance for either newbies or bedroom bangers to get quite a lot for their money and start playing around...

and its not that much money where if you decide to upgrade or it breaks in a couple of years...you havent broken your bank...

and it might force higher end producers to reduce their prices too..
Ride the Train
Ralph Wiggum +

Registered Techno User

Times thanked
<
I wouldn't mind checking one of these out for putting in my lounge. Anyone know of any that are in Melbourne?
Effin See

Rav

Frisky Music
budlik +

Times thanked
<
surprisingly they aren't that bad looking. but I still wouldn't buy one. Id just save for a bit longer

<---ecler fan boy
ac1d3o3 +

Times thanked
<
That mixer looks like itll fall apart in 2 weeks. Id stay clear of Behringer mixers to dj with, more features and effects definately doesnt make it a better product. The more features, the more that can go wrong. Look at all of their mixers in the past, absolute shite. Stick w/ numark good quality cheap mixers.

Using this thing as a midi device however.. that maybe worth the $400.
KuRuPTeD +

you gonna get raped

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,458 Times in 624 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum

I wouldn't mind checking one of these out for putting in my lounge. Anyone know of any that are in Melbourne?

StoreDJ is ur friend
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum

better off getting a second hand vestax and using that.
step on my cubes.
DjReal +

Deep House Fanatic

Times thanked
<
behringer from my personal experiences have not been known for quality even in the budget end of the line.

The eq's are generally quite bland as with the master output, the channel faders tend to leak even after gentle and minimal usage. In most cases if your mixer plays up within warranty it'll generally get replaced if they have stock, but who wants to have to keep replacing their mixer on a regular basis because it keeps dying?

Numark DXM series may not be top notch mixers, but imo despite it having less features, would be a far more solid investment than one of those.

Thats my opinion anyway.
Gigs:
19/11 - Outside @ Electric Playground
26/11 - Outside @ Electric Playground
richcur +

Peanuts

Times thanked
<
Go 2nd hand, get a Denon or a Pioneer or.. for the few extra $$ as Bracko said the Vestax. I can't see the point personally of buying substandard gear, even if it is new. You will pull your hair out once it starts failing, and probably punch yourself in the eye if it breaks when you most need it eg. playing at your debut 21st party in front of all your mates
Rich Curtis' website & Facebook

Latitude End EP (incl Andre Sobota, Noraj Cue & Verve Rmxs) - Mar 24
Golden Wings Music "Unique" EP (incl Flipped) - May 2

Playing prog/tech LIVE on Proton Radio, 1st Tues of Month @10pm US EST
baax +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by DjReal

Numark DXM series may not be top notch mixers, but imo despite it having less features, would be a far more solid investment than one of those.

Thats my opinion anyway.

Agreed.
I had an old Behringer 2ch, it was alright for the cash but it didn't take long (6 months) or so before one of the channels lost some gain, a few more months a channel started to bleed.
I got a DXM09 about 9 months ago, it gets a flogging, it had beer spilt all over it, it gets transported all the time and it's still like brand new.

Not saying to get one of those but the difference in quality between the two brands is large.
SOUNDCLOUD

MIXCLOUD
djsimonmann +

Times thanked
<
They are so cheap cause you can by 4 for the cost of a good mixer and they last about 1/8 of the time a good mixer does...

Peice of shit... I haven't even tried it.. I just know it..

Behringer do not make good dj mixers...

the DX700 was the biggest peice of crap that has come out... and it still sold loads... who's gonna change components, if it's still gonna sell...

STAY AWAY!
We'dspace www.myspace.com/we39d

www.soundcloud.com/djsimonmann

My latest release: https://www.beatport.com/en-US/html/...epest%20Groove
Tang_ +

Turbo bogan

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,790 Times in 623 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neo_

I would have one purely as a midi mixer and use a separate sound interface.

No way in hell would i buy one to actually use as a mixer.

Exactly my thoughts.

Being able to be run as a midi interface or mixer is a big plus. will have to wait and see i guess on the other inherent problems that seem to be around.
DJ Fusion +

As real as it gets...

Times thanked
<
This has been released now I think but I haven't played with it yet.

http://www.behringer.com/DDM4000/index.cfm?lang=eng

Shows as AUS$749.

Some live pics:

http://www.skratchworx.com/news3/comments.php?id=663

I've still got my DXM06 working overtime so I'd love some extra channels, if this thing isn't inherently flawed in some major way I think I'll get one.
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by chappo_85

look at where the headphone input is. that would shit me to tears.

Never understood why more mixers, like the Vestax, don't A) have two headphone inputs and B) put them on the front panel so it's out of the way!
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
ChemicalJames +

GREEN EGGS AND HAm

Times thanked
<
It's the most expensive unit on the market if it breaks after 2 months of use.

Price/lifespan = value
fffffffff
DJ Fusion +

As real as it gets...

Times thanked
<
Good point, revisit it in a year or so to see if you're right. I can't imagine them being tough for gigging out but in a bedroom situation if it works when you buy it it'll probably stay working for a decent time.

And that headphone jack is just so duuuh, but a bit of tape to run it over the edge and down the side could eliminate the problem.
DjReal +

Deep House Fanatic

Times thanked
<
I would never touch a behringer again after my first mixer. Even for a bedroom situation. I'm a deep house DJ and dont even do any scratching or trickery but my experiences with behringer have always been that their eq's are shit and their channels bleed really easily.

I've had my DXM06 now for 3yrs and its been hammered in and out of the bedroom and never missed a beat, still works like new.
Gigs:
19/11 - Outside @ Electric Playground
26/11 - Outside @ Electric Playground
Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<
THing is - being a digital mixer, the fidelity should stay the same forever, and there'll be no such thing as bleed. quality of faders is questionable - but.... American Audio? Gawsh, from my time in retail - Omnitronic, Behringer, and AA were fighting for 1st place on the returns register. Actually - I think Omnitronic won in the bad bad bad department
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,528 Times in 1,493 Posts
I have actually played on this mixer before.. it was 1 out of 5 in australia and the shop had got it for the day.

Here a my thoughts on the mixer (keep in mind i have only been dj'ing for 5months)
The sound quality didn't seem bad to me but then again i was in a shop.. with other music playing and couldn't pump it loud. Channel Faders were nice.. not to sticky but not to loose.
Each channel had Kill buttons which work a treat. Eq's sounded like they completley killed to.
Effects were nice. could choose out of Low/mid/high for which part of the trach you wanted to apply the affect to. At first it was a bit hard to find out how to choose which effect you wanted but after a closer inspection there is a button Bellow the screen and you hit that and then choose which effect.. you can only choose effects when the effect ON/OFF button is on OFF.
I liked with the filter how when you hit Effect ON the filter didnt work straight away if you hae the depth on dry.. therefor you can wind the filter in gradually.. unlike on pioneer mixers.

I couldnt figure out how to use the sampler but then again i didn't really try to use it so there we go.

You can turn the cross fader off with a simple tap of the CF off button above the cross-fader.

I agree that they placed the headphone jack in a bad position but when I tried this thing out i didnt get to try it with headphones so can't say anything about that..

sorry if i babled on
entropy1 +

Times thanked
<
if this doesn't break after two months it's decent but at that pirce i would rather get something more relible (vestax, denon whatever)
gamblore +

Deleted User Account

Times thanked
<
See how the metres as lit up like a christmas tree? I'm sure that is how these things will get played for the entire life span. N00b's rocking maximum gain. It's a n00b's mixer through and through.

Quote:

Originally Posted by djsimonmann

the DX700 was the biggest peice of crap that has come out... and it still sold loads... who's gonna change components, if it's still gonna sell... STAY AWAY!

True, didn't think of it that way.

My mate has a Dennon, it never made my DJM600 sound so good! Hahaha. There is no response from any of the EQ's, the metres are terrible at best, and it was so wishy washy, the sound just mashed together. For that I would NEVER EVER buy a Behringer.

I don't know why people don't understand, if you going to spend $600, you could get a really good second hand mixer. This is easily the best option.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Fusion

if this thing isn't inherently flawed in some major way I think I'll get one.

Did you not read all of the posts above? Nearly every single one of them warned you not to waste your cash. GO 2ND HAND!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumpy

could choose out of Low/mid/high for which part of the trach you wanted to apply the affect to.

Gotta admit, that is way cool!
I'll be back...
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamblore

My mate has a Dennon, it never made my DJM600 sound so good! Hahaha. There is no response from any of the EQ's, the metres are terrible at best, and it was so wishy washy, the sound just mashed together. For that I would NEVER EVER buy a Behringer.

Do you mean your mate has a behringer or dennon?

Quote:

Gotta admit, that is way cool!

Are you being sarcastic?? as i know that other mixers/ effectors can do this..
Citizen +

Publisher, Entrepreneur

Times thanked
<
Specs aside....

...that is one UGLY looking piece of work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lambretta

Oh I'm sick of all this talk about sexual things, it's so disgusting and it's not natural.

Why cant we just watch normal healthy things such as hundreds and hundreds of people being blown to shit for being foreign by some muscular hero?

gamblore +

Deleted User Account

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Do you mean your mate has a behringer or dennon?

Yeah sorry, Behringer. But I did have a go of a Dennon the other day, big 4 channel thing, not sure what it's called but it sucked as well. No response from the EQ's, terrible sound, etc.

Quote:

Are you being sarcastic?? as i know that other mixers/ effectors can do this..

No I'm not, what mixers/fx units can do that? I hate effects but it would be cool as to run an effect just over the lower or upper band of a track. It would add so many more possiblities and sounds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Citizen

Specs aside....

...that is one UGLY looking piece of work.

Looks better than ANY A&H!
I'll be back...
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<
the EFX500 and EFX1000 you can choose which freuqency the effects affect

But i have to disagree with the look better then any A&H i quite like the look on the 92
ratticus +

facebook.com/thepublicworksdepartment

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,477 Times in 893 Posts

Quote:

you lie! i love the look of the xone 32 and 62 especially, they're straight down to business.

Permanent clearance by: #1-01
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts
i'd like to get a feel of the build of this thing

looking at it the first thing that springs to my mind is that it's too cluttered .. too many whistles and bells.

I like to pay for a well built, good sounding mixer before i get carried away with all the schmancy extras
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
DJ Fusion +

As real as it gets...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Must be a gag account.
gamblore +

Deleted User Account

Times thanked
<
I knew I would stir some shit up!

I'm serious though, any A&H looks terrible! They look even worse than American DJ mixers. I think the only thing that this would have going for it would be the looks. The faders are way too short though.
I'll be back...
alexmet +

Times thanked
<
After owning a DJX700 for a short while when they were new, I can say it is the worst piece of electronic equipment I have ever bought, however cheap it may have been.

I somehow managed to sell it and bought an Elcer. The written word cannot express the bliss I experienced from then on.

FFS listen to all the people you have asked for opinions, buy a decent second hand mixer.
Specs mean nothing when build quality is shite.
entropy1 +

Times thanked
<
with SOOO many features on this thing surely at least one of them is going to break/be absoulutly useless
gamblore +

Deleted User Account

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by entropy1

with SOOO many features on this thing surely at least one of them is going to break/be absoulutly useless

That's not really the point. A lot of mixers have useless features, it depends what your doing with your mixer and your style.
I'll be back...
Richie B +

Times thanked
<
Do we think that maybe this will scare a few other brands into lowering their mixer prices a little? I think probably not

DDM4000 does have MIDI mapping however (laptop users...).

My first mixer was a Behringer and lasted a good 5 years. The faders got a bit sticky (contact cleaner seemed to work well) and the crossfader(s) (I went through 3 of them) lasted a whole 3 days, but it went to distance for a while. For $300 I couldn't complain.

Mind you, Behringer have a shit reputation across many of their product lines, not just in the DJ world. I know from friends in the business their guitar effects pedals and studio gear suck quality wise.

Seems the DDM4000 is a classic case of cramming twice as many features as you;d get in a higher priced model for less than half the price. There's a reason some things cost more (they may be somewhat overpriced, yes, but overall quality costs money).

« Previous Thread Next Thread »