General nutrition thread

Closed thread
  Tools
didjeridude +

Random Rhythm Generator

Times thanked
<
General nutrition thread
I was wondering if we could have a thread which was just about nutrition in general as opposed to being specifically about supplements or what you ate today or whatever. Macronutrient ratios, paleo diets, mediterranean diets, keto diets, anti-oxidants, nutrition biochemistry, food science and technology etc etc. Then the other threads can stay on topic and not get derailed by this stuff.

Anyway the idea for this thread came from something interesting I saw this morning on one of the morning shows. They had a nutritionist talking about different types of fibre. At present it seems as though the nutrition world is awash with studies regarding fibre and health benefits. Anyway the bit that was very interesting that I had never heard about before was that there are 3 different types of fibre: 1. the type that comes from stringy fruits and veges such as asparagus. (she mentioned pectin in apples so it could be this type). 2. the type that is associated with nuts and grain husks. That would be our wholegrains and psyllium etc and 3. there is a type of fibre which aggregates during the cooling process following cooking of starchy carbs such as potatoes and pasta. Hmm very interesting This is supposedly the type of fibre which is mostly missing from a typical (healthy) western diet. So if you cook pasta or potatoes you can let them cool... hey presto potato salad, pasta salads etc etc and then it isn't going to be so insulin spiking as you might think.
Reality: To be or not to be? The Adventures of Dr Shroom (and Captain Jones)
Elephanto +

Times thanked
<
Soluble fibre - includes pectins, gums and mucilage, which are found mainly in plant cells. One of its major roles is to lower blood cholesterol levels. Good sources of soluble fibre include fruits, vegetables, oat bran, barley, seed husks, flaxseed, psyllium, dried beans, lentils, peas, soymilk and soy products. Soluble fibre can also help with constipation

Insoluble fibre - includes cellulose, hemicelluloses and lignin, which make up the structural parts of plant cell walls. A major role of insoluble fibre is to add bulk to faeces and to prevent constipation and associated problems such as haemorrhoids. Good sources include wheat bran, corn bran, rice bran, the skins of fruits and vegetables, nuts, seeds, dried beans and wholegrain foods.

Resistant starch - while not traditionally thought of as fibre, acts in a similar way. Resistant starch is the part of starchy food (approximately 10 per cent) that resists normal digestion. It is found in many unprocessed cereals and grains, firm bananas, potatoes and lentils, and is added to bread and breakfast cereals as Hi-Maize. It can also be formed by cooking and manufacturing processes such as snap freezing. Resistant starch is also important in bowel health. Bacteria in the large bowel ferment and change the resistant starch into short-chain fatty acids, which are important to bowel health and may protect against cancer. These fatty acids are also absorbed into the bloodstream and may play a role in lowering blood cholesterol levels.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oscar Lomax

Get your claw out of my Holy of Holies

didjeridude +

Random Rhythm Generator

Times thanked
<
^^^ is that a cut and paste or off the top of your head?

she mentioned also the bowel bacteria stuff which is another good reason to be not so afraid of carbs.
Reality: To be or not to be? The Adventures of Dr Shroom (and Captain Jones)
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
<
Thanked 17,049 Times in 7,537 Posts
copypasta http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/b.../fibre_in_food

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

little_brad +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,997 Times in 2,426 Posts
But cavemen don't eat pasta??!!
Elephanto +

Times thanked
<
Sorry, should have linked.

I'm on a pretty intense health kick at the moment, and I'm pretty picky about sources of information I'll actually trust. Does anyone know of a good daily dietary intake estimator? I'm trying to work out (precisely) how much of each different thing I need (particularly fat/saturated fat - at the moment I'm on 60g/15g respectively).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oscar Lomax

Get your claw out of my Holy of Holies

Last edited by Elephanto: 13-Feb-12 at 11:52am

Gussigan +

business dog is all about business

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,804 Times in 1,714 Posts
general nutrition

/salutes
Gusface Grillah
midian +

'yeah, nah, go f**k yourself, I am the King of the Mods and I am the Decider. There can be only One. And.... go f**k yourself.'

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,801 Times in 1,123 Posts
I don't really see any definitive reasons why this can't be covered in the existing threads (like what did you eat), which most of it is, but I'll give you a few posts to change my mind before I lock it
Gussigan +

business dog is all about business

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,804 Times in 1,714 Posts
well the other thread is what DID you eat

this is more like what are you going to eat
Gusface Grillah
Astro-Boy +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 23,515 Times in 10,717 Posts
Call it what it is: The next level food sperg thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heraclitus

Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.

mischa21 +

yessum

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,083 Posts
^ I'm in heaven
TRZA +

its party time, chumps!

Times thanked
<
Thanked 6,401 Times in 2,390 Posts
the cancer prevention coalition recommends that people should eat no more than 12 hot dogs per month
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQgd6MccwZc
louislogic +

why are fish so slim?

Times thanked
<
Total disregard for anything but overall calorie target/10
Romie +

Times thanked
<
Ive found some good nutritional information on the ausbb forums. A very interesting thread here http://ausbb.com/nutrition-diet/1534...-gi-myths.html called Canning the 6 meals, 'clean' eating, the Post Workout Anabolic Window and GI myths
gotamangina +

o.O

Times thanked
<
Thanked 9,243 Times in 4,157 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by midian View Post

I don't really see any definitive reasons why this can't be covered in the existing threads (like what did you eat), which most of it is, but I'll give you a few posts to change my mind before I lock it

Modian is the best mod ITF
rancho +

Oooooooh such a good time

Times thanked
<
Thanked 7,099 Times in 2,856 Posts
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ent...-1226268581445

too true

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

well, according to dictionary.com
chilli is hot pepper food etc.
chilly is cold temperature.

TRZA +

its party time, chumps!

Times thanked
<
Thanked 6,401 Times in 2,390 Posts
mia freedman?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQgd6MccwZc
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephanto View Post

Sorry, should have linked.

I'm on a pretty intense health kick at the moment, and I'm pretty picky about sources of information I'll actually trust. Does anyone know of a good daily dietary intake estimator? I'm trying to work out (precisely) how much of each different thing I need (particularly fat/saturated fat - at the moment I'm on 60g/15g respectively).

I've found the "my fitness" app to be pretty good for Australian brands of foods.

the other one is [from memory] Calorie King (Australian) program which has a more comprehensive list of brands/foods.
step on my cubes.
airconteka +

moving sideways in a forward motion

Times thanked
<
Thanked 12,697 Times in 6,102 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gussigan View Post

well the other thread is what DID you eat

this is more like what are you going to eat

So this thread we talk about what our poo is going to look like?
Unspoilt by Progress
gotamangina +

o.O

Times thanked
<
Thanked 9,243 Times in 4,157 Posts
Midian is the best mod ITT
midian +

'yeah, nah, go f**k yourself, I am the King of the Mods and I am the Decider. There can be only One. And.... go f**k yourself.'

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,801 Times in 1,123 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

Midian is the best mod ITT

No one has put up a compelling argument all day so I'm closing this -- if you'd prefer me to rename "what did you eat" to "what did/will you eat" let me know.

Here's a parting slice of nutritional intrigue for you all: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...ed-Claire.html
Closed thread

« Previous Thread Next Thread »