The Main Room

Is it time to clean up Kings Cross?

Reply
Page 1 of 12
  Tools
buffed +

Registered User

buffed's Avatar
Joined
Mar '03
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 172 Times in 125 Posts
Posts
15,143
Is it time to clean up Kings Cross?
I spent years in the Cross and loved my clubbing and nights out there, but the bashing on the weekend has angered and sickened me.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226422926341

I have noticed an acute rise in the random violence and general disorder in the Cross in the last 2-3 years in particular which has mirrored the general decline in Oxford Street as a clubbing strip. There are just too many people in the Cross now, most don't get into the clubs, so they hang out on the streets and cause trouble.

It really has become an uncontrolled shithole of late. The bashing on the weekend is so fucked up it's beyong comprehension. The Cross has become a national embarassment IMO
Dero13 +

Roar Roar Brisbane Roar!!!

Dero13's Avatar
Joined
May '10
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 2,462
Thanked 1,302 Times in 833 Posts
Posts
5,288
Hopefully they find the culprit
Geezah +

Raaaaaaaaaaaaarrghh

Geezah's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 3,825
Thanked 1,844 Times in 1,176 Posts
Posts
12,935
I had a mad time at the Cross in the late 90's. I felt relatively safe there (not all the the time but a fair majority of the time) even late at night.

I've only been there very rarely in the last few years because I don't really go clubbing anymore. But when I have been it always seems full of people who are psychotically inebriated, even at reasonably early hours of the night.

Back when I used to go regularly it seemed mainly full of people mostly under the influence of illicit substances of a particularly euphoric variety, and there was far less stylistas and body conformists i.e. it seemed like a community full of motley crews who would rather get along than not - now it seems like it is mostly a bunch of homogenous groups who seek agro. I could be misremembering of course.

I agree though that I really don't feel safe there now, it's full of yobs and yobettes looking to create havoc external, rather than internal, to themselves.

And this was just another shocker in a long line of recent shocking incidents.
Avatar artist: Dain Fagerholm
claude glass +

Registered User

claude glass's Avatar
Joined
Jun '10
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 25
Thanked 760 Times in 454 Posts
Posts
4,157

Quote:

Originally Posted by buffed View Post

I spent years in the Cross and loved my clubbing and nights out there, but the bashing on the weekend has angered and sickened me.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226422926341

I have noticed an acute rise in the random violence and general disorder in the Cross in the last 2-3 years in particular which has mirrored the general decline in Oxford Street as a clubbing strip. There are just too many people in the Cross now, most don't get into the clubs, so they hang out on the streets and cause trouble.

It really has become an uncontrolled shithole of late. The bashing on the weekend is so fucked up it's beyong comprehension. The Cross has become a national embarassment IMO

I totally agree. It's just really weird in that area around the Coke sign now - really really fucked actually. It's just ugly.

That poor guy's girlfriend and family - just awful.
The3rdPlumpDj +

Registered User

The3rdPlumpDj's Avatar
Joined
Jun '05
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Posts
186
This story particularly disturbed me.

What kind of a hero tough guy walks up to a wiry little 18 year old minding his own business (or anyone for that matter) and ‘king hits’ him? Is there something wrong with our culture or is there some sort of social expectation between young men to be as violent and aggressive as possible on a night out?? I hated the cross for day one when I was younger, actively discouraging friends and people in my group from going there because I saw it for what it is, but it shouldn’t be like that…

ive said before, it would be no imposition on me or my sense of privacy to have an IDs scanned and night spots or venues sharing patron information on a database where if you have so many strikes against you for disorderly behaviour you are backlisted from clubs or pubs or even from areas entirely such as the cross. it’s even more upsetting in the fact that from what is reported, it seems that, they really don’t have much to go on to find this guy… I would be surprised if this cowardly individual comes forward… I feel for the family.
buffed +

Registered User

buffed's Avatar
Joined
Mar '03
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 172 Times in 125 Posts
Posts
15,143
Perhaps i was more naive when i was younger, but the Cross wasn't like that in the early to mid 90's. Sure, it always had the seedy undertones and there was always the potential for drug related violence, but there wasn't the random outbreaks of violence that i have noticed in the last few years. The sheer number of people there now is a big problem
Geezah +

Raaaaaaaaaaaaarrghh

Geezah's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 3,825
Thanked 1,844 Times in 1,176 Posts
Posts
12,935

Quote:

Originally Posted by buffed View Post

Perhaps i was more naive when i was younger, but the Cross wasn't like that in the early to mid 90's. Sure, it always had the seedy undertones and there was always the potential for drug related violence, but there wasn't the random outbreaks of violence that i have noticed in the last few years. The sheer number of people there now is a big problem

Yeah, I don't remember there being the randomness of violence, even in the mid-to-late 90's. As you say there was always some dodgey peeps there but they were only likely to commit a crime for an actual purpose i.e. to steal your money for drugs (as stupid as that sounds). These days people seem to be bashing others just for the thrill of it.

It's fucked but I'm not quite sure how you change the situation.
Avatar artist: Dain Fagerholm
Weinertron +

random shoutbox generator

Weinertron's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 2,455
Thanked 970 Times in 437 Posts
Posts
3,701
I'm not from Sydney, but I hear a lot about this King's Cross place. Just so I have this straight in my head, it's some kind of plaza or some shit where a bunch of ****s hang out, get wasted and hate on each other?
Fuck Everything Forever
base615 +

base, proud, shallow, beggarly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave

base615's Avatar
Joined
Jan '07
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 2,601
Thanked 2,589 Times in 1,167 Posts
Posts
7,990
It's an area full of clubs, bars, strip joints etc.

Even 3 or 4 years ago it was semi-bearable but now it's a complete and utter shithole. I blame Claire the Bogan

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaVeR_SpIkE View Post

all i can say is fuck you ref you fuckhead

Geezah +

Raaaaaaaaaaaaarrghh

Geezah's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 3,825
Thanked 1,844 Times in 1,176 Posts
Posts
12,935

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weinertron View Post

I'm not from Sydney, but I hear a lot about this King's Cross place. Just so I have this straight in my head, it's some kind of plaza or some shit where a bunch of ****s hang out, get wasted and hate on each other?

It's just an area with clubs, pubs, and restaurants in high density off a few streets.

Here's some photos:








This link has a bit about the area:

http://www.urbanwalkabout.com/pottspoint/food/bars/

There are some really nice restaurants and bars there it's just that where once there was a bohemian element, followed by a real clubbing element, all mixed with bars, restaurants, organised crime, prostitution, strip-clubs, junkies and drug-dealers there was still some kind of order to it, yet now there seems to be only chaos and disorder all over-amplified by huge crowds of people.

It wasn't ever a nirvana at all but there did use to be (well it seemed like it anyway) some kind of unspoken code. I remember some Sundays leaving clubs, off the side streets, munted-as-fuck to go get some money from the ATM on the the main drag, and the only real concern was being robbed by a junky at needle-point or by opportunistic goons.

Now there doesn't be any rhyme or reason to the violence and I feel pretty apprehensive going there at all. Perhaps I'm just older and have more awareness and feel less immortal than I use to but there is definitely way too many people up there at night getting way too drunk with crowds spilling onto the footpaths outside clubs, pubs and bars.
Avatar artist: Dain Fagerholm

Last edited by Geezah: 11-Jul-12 at 05:52pm

claude glass +

Registered User

claude glass's Avatar
Joined
Jun '10
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 25
Thanked 760 Times in 454 Posts
Posts
4,157

Quote:

Originally Posted by buffed View Post

Perhaps i was more naive when i was younger, but the Cross wasn't like that in the early to mid 90's. Sure, it always had the seedy undertones and there was always the potential for drug related violence, but there wasn't the random outbreaks of violence that i have noticed in the last few years. The sheer number of people there now is a big problem

Actually, I remember being there in 1970 with my family and a knife went flying through the air passed our heads just as we crossed the road on Macleay St. It was massively rough in the 70s, settled down a bit in the 80s and 90s, but it has got worse because it has become a bogan destination. Generally the streets around the Cross are safer than they used to be, but that area from the fountain to the sign and nearby is just full of aggro men and tarted up women. I think they drink a shitload and probably meth too. 80s most people partying in the Cross were on coke. 90s most people were on ecstasy (the good shit). Also, I think it was kind of seedier, but safer, when the old schol organised crime bosses ran it.
trist +

too many years on ITM

trist's Avatar
Joined
Mar '01
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 198
Thanked 315 Times in 243 Posts
Posts
8,768

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geezah View Post

Yeah, I don't remember there being the randomness of violence, even in the mid-to-late 90's. As you say there was always some dodgey peeps there but they were only likely to commit a crime for an actual purpose i.e. to steal your money for drugs (as stupid as that sounds). These days people seem to be bashing others just for the thrill of it.

It's fucked but I'm not quite sure how you change the situation.

In the 90s the Cross (in my experience at least) was generally safer and more relaxed than the Oxford Street and George Street strips. It was like the mixture of underground dance clubs and seedy strip joints gave some order to the place, while over on Oxford Street the proliferation of commercial Hi-NRG clubs attracted the roid-boy agro, and George Street was wanna-be Asian gangster paradise. The few times I’ve been to the Cross in the last few years I’ve had a similar feeling to you and buffed. Maybe I’m just getting old, but it sure felt decidedly more sketchy than in my day.
Come with us back to those inglorious days when heroes weren't zeros. Before fair was square. When the cavalry came straight away and all-American men were like Hemingway to the days of the wondrous B movie. Gil Scott-Heron

Last edited by trist: 11-Jul-12 at 04:38pm

trist +

too many years on ITM

trist's Avatar
Joined
Mar '01
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 198
Thanked 315 Times in 243 Posts
Posts
8,768

Quote:

Originally Posted by claude glass View Post

Actually, I remember being there in 1970 with my family and a knife went flying through the air passed our heads just as we crossed the road on Macleay St. It was massively rough in the 70s, settled down a bit in the 80s and 90s, but it has got worse because it has become a bogan destination. Generally the streets around the Cross are safer than they used to be, but that area from the fountain to the sign and nearby is just full of aggro men and tarted up women. I think they drink a shitload and probably meth too. 80s most people partying in the Cross were on coke. 90s most people were on ecstasy (the good shit). Also, I think it was kind of seedier, but safer, when the old schol organised crime bosses ran it.

I agree. In the 90s it seemed that the seedy strip clubs worked together to protect the general public from the drunken agro violence because it was in their interest to keep the place relatively safe. That seems to be gone now.
Come with us back to those inglorious days when heroes weren't zeros. Before fair was square. When the cavalry came straight away and all-American men were like Hemingway to the days of the wondrous B movie. Gil Scott-Heron
buffed +

Registered User

buffed's Avatar
Joined
Mar '03
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 172 Times in 125 Posts
Posts
15,143
oxford street and Darlinghurst dominated the 18-27 age group as far as clubbing was concerned throughout the 90's and early 2000's, but with the demise of most of the clubs on oxford street/Darlinghurst, all the crowds have shifted to the Cross. 80% of those that go to the cross can't get into the clubs, so they just hang around the streets and the trouble ensues.

Maybe it's time for curfews........dunno, but it's an anti-social shithole now
big eddie +

Got soju?

big eddie's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 8,126
Thanked 17,049 Times in 7,537 Posts
Posts
51,633
The lockout in Melbourne made things worse rather than better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

Geezah +

Raaaaaaaaaaaaarrghh

Geezah's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 3,825
Thanked 1,844 Times in 1,176 Posts
Posts
12,935
We sound like a bunch of fucking oldsters ha ha ha.

I guess the solution is that you just avoid the place altogether and have a good night somewhere else in Sydders. Hopefully in 10 years time due to the changing in licensing laws, Sydney will have better options all over the place that will dilute the masses and spread them across the city and inner suburbs more evenly.

As I posted earlier, there are actually some nice restaurants and cafe/bar type places up there which I wouldn't mind going to occasionally but until it changes a fair bit I'll go somewhere else.
Avatar artist: Dain Fagerholm
DrugfuctDonkey +

Registered User

DrugfuctDonkey's Avatar
Joined
Mar '12
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 1,214
Thanked 1,964 Times in 997 Posts
Posts
3,328

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weinertron View Post

I'm not from Sydney, but I hear a lot about this King's Cross place. Just so I have this straight in my head, it's some kind of plaza or some shit where a bunch of ****s hang out, get wasted and hate on each other?

It's hard to explain Kings X..... it's just insane.

Whenever I end up there with mates from Melbs, overseas etc, they're stunned at how intense it is. There are plenty of places where ****s hang out, get wasted and hate on each other... Kings X is on a different level these days though. Hundreds of bars, clubs, brothels etc all withing a really small area. The sheer numbers are crazy. Put that many drugged up, drunk and insecure idiots looking to prove something in one place and it'll always end badly.

Heaps of Public Order & Riot Squad officers patrolling the place but they can't even keep up. Shows just how bad its getting.
gonefishin +

Registered User

gonefishin's Avatar
Joined
Mar '11
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 442
Thanked 391 Times in 250 Posts
Posts
1,633
last time I was there, it was still daytime, already a strip joint spruiker was going up to people randomly, getting in their face saying "ile fuckin knock ya out, ile smash ya". elderly folks weren't spared the joy of it either.
DrugfuctDonkey +

Registered User

DrugfuctDonkey's Avatar
Joined
Mar '12
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 1,214
Thanked 1,964 Times in 997 Posts
Posts
3,328

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post

last time I was there, it was still daytime, already a strip joint spruiker was going up to people randomly, getting in their face saying "ile fuckin knock ya out, ile smash ya". elderly folks weren't spared the joy of it either.

Yeah those ****s are fucken irritating.
Dero13 +

Roar Roar Brisbane Roar!!!

Dero13's Avatar
Joined
May '10
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 2,462
Thanked 1,302 Times in 833 Posts
Posts
5,288
90% of the X has always been sus. Can't see that ever changing. Still i've had more good times there than bad ones.



Quote:

Originally Posted by Weinertron View Post

I'm not from Sydney, but I hear a lot about this King's Cross place. Just so I have this straight in my head, it's some kind of plaza or some shit where a bunch of ****s hang out, get wasted and hate on each other?





I'm not from Sydney either but it's easy to find. Just go to the big Westfield plaza at Newtown right next to the Coca-Cola Factory.
Bracko +

Bracko's Avatar
Joined
Apr '02
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 1,532
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts
Posts
42,178
It's definitely worse. I used to go there early 2000's and then havent been back till 2011. The problem is alcohol and exposure imo.... and amphetamines.
phoneyhuh +

3o~

phoneyhuh's Avatar
Joined
Jul '01
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 16
Thanked 208 Times in 131 Posts
Posts
8,070
It all went to shit when after Peter Ryan came along, put the crime bosses and half of Kings Cross police station in jail and Abe Saffron passed away. Previous to that there was a sort of synergy going on keeping the place seedy and dodgy as hell, yet somehow manageable. They even had cafe Amsterdam and a couple of other coffee shops around the corner selling dope to keep visitors calm. Good times.

Last edited by phoneyhuh: 11-Jul-12 at 09:14pm

SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

SpaceMonkey's Avatar
Joined
Jul '02
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 519
Thanked 6,687 Times in 3,877 Posts
Posts
35,221
Buffed is on the money, it's the decline of the Oxford St strip that really seems to have tipped things. I can't say I ever liked the place much but the sheer numbers there now have definitely mad things a lot worse.
Acperience 1 +

Registered User

Acperience 1's Avatar
Joined
Mar '12
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 1,205
Thanked 988 Times in 588 Posts
Posts
2,821
I'm 23 and avoid the area at all costs these days. The days of being fresh 18 and going there, getting munted beyond belief, and staying out until 10am kicking on to day clubs are long behind me.

This story confirms that I don't think I'll be going back there for the foreseeable future, not even for friends birthdays etc. Feel so sorry for the victim, his family, friends, gf.. so sad. RIP.

Agree with the points that more people in the same space = more trouble. So many factors which contribute to this sort of stuff happening in this area really, all of which are pretty evident.

Quote:

I don't go to be in the VIP area.. I don't need big breaks, a big song with a buildup and lights and smoke.. all you need is a kickdrum and a good bassline. You don't need any of that other shit. Na, I'm not going for none of those reasons.. I'm just going for the music.

Davomaxi +

No. Money Down!

Davomaxi's Avatar
Joined
Oct '03
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 8
Thanked 1,211 Times in 665 Posts
Posts
7,732
What a terrible story. I just cannot understand the mentality of someone to go up to someone random and just punch their lights out for no reason.

Like others, 10 years ago or less I used to go out to the cross and have a blinder, always in the clubs though, would never just roam the streets. The last time I went there was a year or so ago and I was shocked at how much more of a cesspool it was. Absolutely packed to the brim with youngens, trash just lining the sidewalks.

There's definitely a law and order issue that needs to be looked at, but I can't help but think the rise of meth and the decline of MDMA plays a big part too.

It's just so sad to get to a point where you instantly regard your fellow man as someone to either attack or fear as in these situations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianwil1976 View Post

I killed all my family because they wouldn't suck my dick.

Medium Rurrrr!

See my blog http://ecentreofexcellence.blogspot.com.au/
buffed +

Registered User

buffed's Avatar
Joined
Mar '03
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 172 Times in 125 Posts
Posts
15,143

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davomaxi View Post

There's definitely a law and order issue that needs to be looked at, but I can't help but think the rise of meth and the decline of MDMA plays a big part too.

.

do you really think it's meth? i just think it's alcohol fuelled........the last few times i've been, youngsters have been drinking on the sidewalks and just generally drunk
claude glass +

Registered User

claude glass's Avatar
Joined
Jun '10
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 25
Thanked 760 Times in 454 Posts
Posts
4,157
Yeah I think it is mainly alcohol. But it's not really linked to the decline in Oxford St IMHO, because these people are not clubbers, they hang out in the pubs and pretty much just on the steets half the time from what I've seen. There are a lot of big pubs in the Cross now, they never existed on Oxford St. Plus I think Sydney is now 5 million people and that means a lot more lowlife.
Davomaxi +

No. Money Down!

Davomaxi's Avatar
Joined
Oct '03
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 8
Thanked 1,211 Times in 665 Posts
Posts
7,732

Quote:

Originally Posted by buffed View Post

do you really think it's meth? i just think it's alcohol fuelled........the last few times i've been, youngsters have been drinking on the sidewalks and just generally drunk

Fair enough then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianwil1976 View Post

I killed all my family because they wouldn't suck my dick.

Medium Rurrrr!

See my blog http://ecentreofexcellence.blogspot.com.au/
trist +

too many years on ITM

trist's Avatar
Joined
Mar '01
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 198
Thanked 315 Times in 243 Posts
Posts
8,768

Quote:

Originally Posted by buffed View Post

oxford street and Darlinghurst dominated the 18-27 age group as far as clubbing was concerned throughout the 90's and early 2000's, but with the demise of most of the clubs on oxford street/Darlinghurst, all the crowds have shifted to the Cross. 80% of those that go to the cross can't get into the clubs, so they just hang around the streets and the trouble ensues.

In the 90s the clubbing circles I was part of looked down on the Oxford Street meat market clubs. It was all about the city (Pitt St Sublime/Globe/Metro) and Cross (Underground Cafe/Paladium/Ice Box etc)....and Club 77 on William Street. Oxford Street was good for the record shops, but definately not the clubbing.
Come with us back to those inglorious days when heroes weren't zeros. Before fair was square. When the cavalry came straight away and all-American men were like Hemingway to the days of the wondrous B movie. Gil Scott-Heron
claude glass +

Registered User

claude glass's Avatar
Joined
Jun '10
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 25
Thanked 760 Times in 454 Posts
Posts
4,157

Quote:

Originally Posted by trist View Post

In the 90s the clubbing circles I was part of looked down on the Oxford Street meat market clubs. It was all about the city (Pitt St Sublime/Globe/Metro) and Cross (Underground Cafe/Paladium/Ice Box etc)....and Club 77 on William Street. Oxford Street was good for the record shops, but definately not the clubbing.

you're an old tweeker right? we've probably met
weekender +

Registered User

weekender's Avatar
Joined
May '02
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 473
Thanked 581 Times in 332 Posts
Posts
5,825
As an expat, I've never understood the appeal of the Cross to anyone older than high school age. Aside from the odd excursion to a club night here and there, I've avoided the place like the plague since arriving in 2000. Not only has there always been a preponderence of buckled people around, but the tackiness and squalid conditions are revolting.

As for the increase in violence in the area, alcohol and ice. In that order.
"Old enough to know better"
jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

jdoodle's Avatar
Joined
Nov '01
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 2,206
Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,490 Posts
Posts
17,808

Quote:

Originally Posted by claude glass View Post

you're an old tweeker right? we've probably met

we probably all had a group hug watching ray and phil smash it out lol
buffed was busy flexing in the corner though
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative." John Stuart Mill
trist +

too many years on ITM

trist's Avatar
Joined
Mar '01
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 198
Thanked 315 Times in 243 Posts
Posts
8,768

Quote:

Originally Posted by claude glass View Post

you're an old tweeker right? we've probably met

I actually wish I went there more than I did because it was one of the best club nights I can remember. I probably went 5 or 6 times, the best time I reckon was the second last tweekin when Phil Smart had the place rocking harder than Thomas Schumacher. I went to more Sabotage and Love parties than tweekin nights.
Come with us back to those inglorious days when heroes weren't zeros. Before fair was square. When the cavalry came straight away and all-American men were like Hemingway to the days of the wondrous B movie. Gil Scott-Heron
claude glass +

Registered User

claude glass's Avatar
Joined
Jun '10
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 25
Thanked 760 Times in 454 Posts
Posts
4,157

Quote:

Originally Posted by trist View Post

I actually wish I went there more than I did because it was one of the best club nights I can remember. I probably went 5 or 6 times, the best time I reckon was the second last tweekin when Phil Smart had the place rocking harder than Thomas Schumacher. I went to more Sabotage and Love parties than tweekin nights.

yeah I remember Phil's set well
CheelWinston +

not a cop

CheelWinston's Avatar
Joined
May '01
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 912
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,172 Posts
Posts
13,908
I reckon bringing back Tweekin would go half way to solving the Cross' problems

[blatant grab for likes]
Listen to your friend Cheely Zane
He is a cool guy...
buffed +

Registered User

buffed's Avatar
Joined
Mar '03
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 172 Times in 125 Posts
Posts
15,143

Quote:

Originally Posted by trist View Post

In the 90s the clubbing circles I was part of looked down on the Oxford Street meat market clubs. It was all about the city (Pitt St Sublime/Globe/Metro) and Cross (Underground Cafe/Paladium/Ice Box etc)....and Club 77 on William Street. Oxford Street was good for the record shops, but definately not the clubbing.

i used to go to everything........underground, sublime, ice box, globe but i also used to do the rounds of DCM, Q-Bar, Beresford and blackmarket depending on what mood i was in.

regardless of taste, the issue is that DCM, Q-bar, Tantra (and other oxford street clubs and pubs) etc used to be very popular for the crowds that went there. After their demise a few years ago, suddenly you had 3,000-4,000 clubbers that had nowhere to go, so they all headed for the Cross along with everyone else. Now the Cross is just completely saturated with people who can't get into the limited number of clubs and bars there
trist +

too many years on ITM

trist's Avatar
Joined
Mar '01
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 198
Thanked 315 Times in 243 Posts
Posts
8,768

Quote:

Originally Posted by claude glass View Post

yeah I remember Phil's set well

yeah, before that set I always looked forward to Ray's sets more than Phil's. It must have been good if we can still remember it from over a decade ago.
Come with us back to those inglorious days when heroes weren't zeros. Before fair was square. When the cavalry came straight away and all-American men were like Hemingway to the days of the wondrous B movie. Gil Scott-Heron
Dero13 +

Roar Roar Brisbane Roar!!!

Dero13's Avatar
Joined
May '10
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 2,462
Thanked 1,302 Times in 833 Posts
Posts
5,288
Is the "Love Machine" still pumpin'?

Think it was across from Macca's.




Good times
buffed +

Registered User

buffed's Avatar
Joined
Mar '03
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 172 Times in 125 Posts
Posts
15,143
you could get some mint $5 blow jobs at the Cross strip joints back in the day. one chick had no front teeth, so you it was smooth all the way
Dero13 +

Roar Roar Brisbane Roar!!!

Dero13's Avatar
Joined
May '10
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 2,462
Thanked 1,302 Times in 833 Posts
Posts
5,288

Quote:

Originally Posted by buffed View Post

you could get some mint $5 blow jobs at the Cross strip joints back in the day. one chick had no front teeth, so you it was smooth all the way




Think her name was Betty.

I shouted her breakfast at Macca's one morning.

Nice girl
deepbeetzz +

Extension.666

deepbeetzz's Avatar
Joined
May '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 30 Times in 17 Posts
Posts
1,815
Why the fuck would anyone, anyone that is interested in EDM in any way, or anyone that might read this post, want to be anywhere near the cross? No good clubs putting on any good nights with any decent music and a messed up, drunk violent crowd straight from out west? No thanks, and I dont think any reasonable person would disagree.

Such a sad sad story, but the lesson is folks, dont go to the cross!

Back when organised crime ran the joint, there was some type of law, it may not of been law that fit in with the mainstream law, but it was law none the less. Now its lawless (a strange statement to make about the cross I know), its where the dickheads go for random crime and violence, I haven't been there in 4+yrs and dont see any reason I would ever go there again. BUT i did have some fun fun times there in my time, times I prob wont tell my grand kids about, but very fun.
soundcloud
claude glass +

Registered User

claude glass's Avatar
Joined
Jun '10
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 25
Thanked 760 Times in 454 Posts
Posts
4,157

Quote:

Originally Posted by trist View Post

yeah, before that set I always looked forward to Ray's sets more than Phil's. It must have been good if we can still remember it from over a decade ago.

I was already a Phil fan, but that particular night and the last night have very poignant places in my life.
gonefishin +

Registered User

gonefishin's Avatar
Joined
Mar '11
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 442
Thanked 391 Times in 250 Posts
Posts
1,633
What makes people think that organised crime no longer runs the cross?

Like most issues there is probably a combination of factors at work, in this case most likely involving a population that is increasingly violent with a habit for combining amphetamines and alchohol.

Schumachers set when tweekin closed was the goods
claude glass +

Registered User

claude glass's Avatar
Joined
Jun '10
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 25
Thanked 760 Times in 454 Posts
Posts
4,157

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post

What makes people think that organised crime no longer runs the cross?

Like most issues there is probably a combination of factors at work, in this case most likely involving a population that is increasingly violent with a habit for combining amphetamines and alchohol.

Schumachers set when tweekin closed was the goods

no we don't think that. we think it has changed and the relationships have changed.
Dero13 +

Roar Roar Brisbane Roar!!!

Dero13's Avatar
Joined
May '10
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 2,462
Thanked 1,302 Times in 833 Posts
Posts
5,288

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepbeetzz View Post

Back when organised crime ran the joint.



So who runs the joint these days?


Why would who ever runs the joint want innocent people getting killed for no reason? The last thing they want to do is scare the punters away. It aint good for business

That poor kid would of dropped shit loads in the X the next 10 years so I dont think who ever runs the joint would want him getting knocked off.
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

SpaceMonkey's Avatar
Joined
Jul '02
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 519
Thanked 6,687 Times in 3,877 Posts
Posts
35,221

Quote:

Originally Posted by buffed View Post

i used to go to everything........underground, sublime, ice box, globe but i also used to do the rounds of DCM, Q-Bar, Beresford and blackmarket depending on what mood i was in.

regardless of taste, the issue is that DCM, Q-bar, Tantra (and other oxford street clubs and pubs) etc used to be very popular for the crowds that went there. After their demise a few years ago, suddenly you had 3,000-4,000 clubbers that had nowhere to go, so they all headed for the Cross along with everyone else. Now the Cross is just completely saturated with people who can't get into the limited number of clubs and bars there

Fuck we must've crossed paths around 2002-03 surely . Those were the days.

Agree re the demise of Oxford st, exactly what I was thinking of.
Madam Lasher +

lol

Madam Lasher's Avatar
Joined
Nov '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 754
Thanked 146 Times in 76 Posts
Posts
2,397

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post

What makes people think that organised crime no longer runs the cross?
:

Isn't it just that is no strong player any more? therefore it's more like disorganised crime.
trist +

too many years on ITM

trist's Avatar
Joined
Mar '01
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 198
Thanked 315 Times in 243 Posts
Posts
8,768

Quote:

Originally Posted by claude glass View Post

I was already a Phil fan, but that particular night and the last night have very poignant places in my life.

I was a Phil fan too, just was a bigger Ray fan. Looking back, I think the most consistently friendly clubbing experiences were the nights put on by the Reachin boys.......plus I never felt old.
Come with us back to those inglorious days when heroes weren't zeros. Before fair was square. When the cavalry came straight away and all-American men were like Hemingway to the days of the wondrous B movie. Gil Scott-Heron
claude glass +

Registered User

claude glass's Avatar
Joined
Jun '10
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 25
Thanked 760 Times in 454 Posts
Posts
4,157
Interesting article in SMH today about the issue of a lack of transport out of the place which means people just stay in there and keep drinking.

And also how a city police head says its the worst he's seen in 30 years.
buffed +

Registered User

buffed's Avatar
Joined
Mar '03
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 172 Times in 125 Posts
Posts
15,143

Quote:

Originally Posted by claude glass View Post

Interesting article in SMH today about the issue of a lack of transport out of the place which means people just stay in there and keep drinking.

.

it's always been a big issue, but more so now given the sheer number of people who congregate there. it's impossible to get a cab or bus out of the joint. i recall even in the old days once the clubs closed at 3am, we would go to Iguana and keep drinking simply because it was impossible to catch a cab at the 3am changeover
Page 1 of 12
Reply

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Posting Rules

+
    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts