Best places to go in Bali?

Page 1 of 2
  Tools
Goose +

Fowl Play

Times thanked
<
Best places to go in Bali?
Where are the best clubs, beaches, and cultural sights aye?

Cheers,
J
Click & Subscribe to The Beats & Pieces house music podcast
Deep, Soulful, Tribal, Funky & Big Room house. Presented by Fowl Play DJ & Jameson on Bondi FM every week 6pm -8pm EST.

Fowl Play facebook fan page

Click for RioLife acai berries, nature's perfect health & beauty formula
Cranker +

crankin it

Times thanked
<
Clubs, Ku De ta - I woulnt eat there but i would go for coktails and the atmosphere later in the night also Ive heard double 6 is awesome but I havent been yet. Hu'u is nice but more bar'ish unless they have a visiting DJ *Avoid the bounty and any clubs in the main street of Kuta. (All those clubs are in seminyak)

Beaches, depends if you want to surf, Kuta/Tuban arent the greatest beaches for swimming, there quite rippy, ur best to find a hotel with a wicked pool (if you want nice beaches go to thailand). If you want Surf, you can get towed out to airport left/right on tuban beach but beware of the reef, you might be better of in legian. for bigger waves, Ulawatu is where you wanna go, it just gets abit packed depending on what time of year you go.

As for cultural sights, does shopping count is susie going with you? she'd LOVE the shopping! Spend a half/day in Ubud if you can...Ive been to bali five times and I always promise I'll see more of it then kuta/tuban/legian and the yak but I never do.

Balis my fave place on earth, the people are soooo nice and its just SO cheap, the rupiahs almost 8600 at the moment, the first time I went I got 6400!

P.S For dinner and the BEST frozen margaritas in bali, try Uns...in poppys lane! soooo good!

P.P.S Havent you just had a massive holiday?
Patopeaking +

iPato v3.03

Times thanked
<
^^ nice one

back in 1994 it was 1600 Rp to the Aussie Dollar.
Resident Advisor Pics

http://www.consumeraware.com.au Consumers Review, Businesses Respond.
rancho +

Oooooooh such a good time

Times thanked
<
Thanked 7,099 Times in 2,856 Posts
climb mt agung. was by far the highlight of my trip.
silverspoon +

new and improved!

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,883 Times in 868 Posts
lovina.
Media Player

and +1 for not going to the bounty.
Hey hey, you can change this shit again. Only a couple of years late.
grapsta +

8 pinballs at the courthouse...yeeeeah

Times thanked
<
catch a boat to Gili Trawangan off lombok and stay there a few nights....also the sunsets at Tanah Lot are good....and so are sunsets at Jimbaran Bay. ...beaches in Bali are for sitting on a chair and drinking. swimming pools are for swimming...unless your going up north .

do a Baik Bike tour...definite highlight

also check www.Balitravelforum.com for more tips

there's that club with the bungee/pool inside. Never been clubbing in Bali myself
Plankton +

Times thanked
<
Be really cautious with the ATMs, mine was skimmed in Kuta on the first day of my 2month trip to Europe. Everything was taken out.

Bali was just a 24 hour lay over.

I am certainly not a fan of the place.
I wish I were an artist.
to live in dark corners of beautiful cities.
music to coat my ears and beat my heart.
passion, love and splatters of paint.
coffee cups, cobble stones and soft clouds of smoke.
There is so much beauty in this world.
THERHINO +

Times thanked
<
Got back from Bali two weeks ago so here's the deal.

Food: Jimbaran Bay - an absolute must. Go about 5pm so you're there for when the sun goes down. If you catch a taxi they will actually pull directly into one of the restaurants so they make the choice for you, if you choose a restaurant and book they will send a car for you and take you back. We ate at Blue Marlin - best meal of my life!!! Avoid Roma Cafe.

Hotels: Le Meridien at Tanah Lot is mind boggling - and incredible views of famous Tanah Temple and tanah lot sunsets. If going cheaper and close to city, avoid Kuta altogether, stay in legian, still close to city but quieter, the locals are friendlier and easy to deal with. Kumala Pantai is great, great hotel - and cheap.

Taxis: Do not barter with taxi drivers, go off the meter, much cheaper. Unless you going for a long drive to Ubud for example, find a private taxi (they're everywhere) and negotiate. 300,000 rupiah should get you there and back no dramas.

Money exchange: Do NOT let them start conversations or distract you whilst you are counting money. And get them to show you the numbers they tap into calculator when they work out the exchange. Best rates were in Seminyak we found.

Clubs: Kuta is horrible, avoid the place altogether if you can. Hated it. Kuteda as previously suggested is brilliant - and the food is great too. Double 6 is good too and Sunset Lounge I think it was called - at a massive shopping arcade somewhere between Kuta and Denpasar airport, on the beach.

Attractions: Waterbom is great fun (Bali's version of Wet'N'Wild) - but it's just massive waterslides
White water Rafting - Awesome - ask your hotel reception for tour info.
Monkey Forest - Don't wear necklaces.

There's a bit to keep you going, most of all, have a great time. It's a magical place.
silverspoon +

new and improved!

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,883 Times in 868 Posts
has anyone found any decent internets anywhere in bali?

all we could find was some very slow dial up net cafes.
Hey hey, you can change this shit again. Only a couple of years late.
mattpolo8 +

on a good day...

Times thanked
<
in terms of clubs..it depends what u wanna go there for. if you're a serious itm'er and wanna go for the music...then dont go to bounty or paddys. but if you're there just to get messy and mingle with cute looking tourists..then go to paddys and bounty. if you don't meet a girl...something is wrong.

find kuta steakhouse its in one of poppys lane. its ran by aussies and is really really nice.
papas which is the best italian ive ever had. its just down the road from the hard rock on the border of legian/kuta.
and bubba gump is good seafood but tad on the expensive side.

the monkey forest is interesting
bali safari gives u the chance at playing with a baby orangutan and patting a lioness,tiger,elephant,baby elephant and a leopard
up in ubud in the mountains is nice

uluwatu as mentioned is amazing. good for a surf
nusa dua has good beaches for chilling too

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaVeR_SpIkE View Post

shut the fuck up fag they are both money freaks

mattpolo8 +

on a good day...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverspoon

has anyone found any decent internets anywhere in bali?

all we could find was some very slow dial up net cafes.

most hotels have it at around about 20/25 000rph for an hour.

so if yours doesn't have it just hit up a different hotel.

Quote:

grapsta +

Times thanked
<
most internet is slow in Bali. life is slow. chill out and sip a bintang while you wait for the sites to slowly load up.

re Taxis...Bluebird taxis on the meter are often way cheaper than anything you can negotiate with a driver. best to do some research on what a trip anywhere should cost .

...also - check out a restaurant called Ma Joly in Tuban. awesome fine diner right on the water. not cheap by Bali standards..but half the price you'd pay for same meal here. really really good !
Blue fin sushi is wicked too !
Cranker +

crankin it

Times thanked
<
Ma Joly is awesome ^

I didnt even know that safari place was there, some friends just got back and she had the best pictures!!! Im soooo going to cuddle an orangutan! http://www.balisafarimarinepark.com/...iFrontPage.php

As for internet, I always stay at the Ramada and find it to be double the price of the internet cafe's, Ive never had a problem with them being slow...

P.S Anyone else read about the earthquake, scary stuff, Id be terrified of a tsunami, not many places to hide, unless your staying in Ubud - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8264169.stm
Maiden +

hanging for 4.30pm on Friday

Times thanked
<
I just came back from Bali 2 weeks o, we were getting about 8300, they did have places advertising for 8695 but they were charging commission and looked dodge.

I've been 4 times, twice i stayed in Kuta, once in Legian and once in Seminyak. I'm a fan of staying in Legian or Seminyak, when we were there this time we only went for 4 nights so decided to stay in Kuta as it was central... oh and we hit up paddy's and the bounty... yeah i did a belly slide at the foam party.. we had a great time but i didn't go with people who care about what dj is playing.

Ku Da Ta is great for cocktails while the sun sets, i didn't eat there but my friends have and they rave about it.. I've been to jimbarin bay 3 times now and i must say this time wasn't as good as the last two but then it was probably just the restaurant.

I'd pass onthe monkey forest and the reptile park, we did it when we were there in 2001 and it was a waste, Ubud was great though and i loved white water rafting.

Bali is great because it doesn't matter what kind of holiday you want you will find it there, action packed or just relaxing
"Go Confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you imagined"
mattpolo8 +

on a good day...

Times thanked
<
in regard to money changing...unless they state before changing that theres a commission..then theres no commision. and even if a place looks dodgy..as long as:
1.you work it out on there calculator first and
2.you watch it like a hawk and
3.you count it back to them
then there's no problem with it.

Quote:

indie_doll +

Eat Books

Times thanked
<
There is 2 restaurants that are must do's in Seminyak - La Luciola and The Living Room.

Double 6 is alright - the last time I went there I saw Jody Wisterhof play.

There are some gorgeous temples up north - one we went to was the most magical place on earth, I will have to get the name for you.

Dreamland Beach is pretty cool. Uluwatu temple is also amazing at sunset.

Tips- dont let the taxi guys take your bag when you get your transfer from airport ot the hotel, they will charge you extra for porterage. Watch the money changers and dont get too greedy - higher exchange means something dodgy.
Never say you will think about it or will come back- they will remember your name and harrass you, follow you and say that you promised! lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPOKEYDOKEY

It is actually acceptable to kick sand in childrens faces at the beach. It's character building. For them too.

navskore +

Neighbours whore

Times thanked
<
i've been in beautiful bali since early last week staying in a villa in seminyak with a bunch of friends and its lovely, its always one of those plcaces i assumed too touristy to be any good but iwth a big group of friends its pretty amazing

i've done the safari park and touched a baby lion omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i did a cooking class in ubud and saw temples and art galleries
went to the waterbom park today
lots of shopping and i really love it, the people are lovely

i have to say what i love most is just chilling in our pool and enjoying the serenity, its a quick break and it doesnt have to be all busy like in kuta, lots of other areas to stay in and kuta is only a short ride away
Cranker +

crankin it

Times thanked
<
OMG I want to be there!!!! I booked this week for 15 days in april/may next year! what exchange rate are you getting?
zealbee +

Times thanked
<
I went for a week from the 24th of September onwards. We stayed at the Padma in Legian for the first three nights and then moved to the Sofitel Seminyak for the rest of the week. The Padma is amazing, the staff are really friendly and the buffet breakfast is first rate. The Sofitel was a little less impressive, what it does have going for it is its location right on the beach at Seminyak.

Places to check out:

- The Corner Store in Seminyak does the best breakfasts and is really cheap as well
- Zanzibar in Legian does great pizzas and is good value for money
- Sarong was the best place we ate at, pretty expensive but the food and the setting were first rate

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carte Blanche

Hardstyle isn't music. It's not anything, except perhaps complete garbage. It should really be discussed in the lifestyle forum, as in "I'm leading a lifestyle devoid of taste" or perhaps the food forum "I consume far too many drugs for my own good".

FTorres +

Times thanked
<
Bali is amazing. IMO best holiday destination in the world ( for a uni student )

Check out De Je Vu on the beach that run's along Legian I think it is..very nice club, more up market..not that good if you're loose and wanna party but just worth it for the interior design! Oh and order a Sudden Death, or suicide or something..it has like 13 different types of liquor in it!

Bounty for the end of the night and being loose..most fun even if it is pretty disgusting in there.

DEFINITELY go to Dreamlands beach... best beach I think I've ever been to. Drinking Bintangs lying on the sand there was an awesome day. And the shories are pretty fun for waves too..hire out a bodyboard and you'll have a ball.

Eating umm I liked Vee Eie Pee (not sure of spelling) but its on the main road of Kuta..near the memorial and next to Sky Garden.. Also decent tunes and good lighting there as well..pity more people don't go for clubbing there.

Sky Garden is an AWESOME club..my favourite club easily..and best tunes. I was hearing tunes fresh off Beatport in there..was very very surprised.

Hmm could prob go on and on but forget a lot of stuff right now Have fun.. I want to go back

EDIT: Go to Ocean Beach. It's a pub/club/bar that's on the beach in Kuta..near Pizza Hut and that end. Very very good tunes there (second best to Sky Garden or possibly better)..and the menu is HUGE! And not only is the selection of food big..but the serving sizes were the biggest I think we came across at any restaurant. Get the Club Sandwich at Ocean Beach, can't recommend it enough. So yeah, don't forget, OCEAN BEACH in kuta
zealbee +

Times thanked
<
Best tip I can give you is stay away from Kuta, place is a hole and you are most likely to be blown up there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carte Blanche

Hardstyle isn't music. It's not anything, except perhaps complete garbage. It should really be discussed in the lifestyle forum, as in "I'm leading a lifestyle devoid of taste" or perhaps the food forum "I consume far too many drugs for my own good".

esoteric31 +

errs on the side of awesome.

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by rancho

climb mt agung. was by far the highlight of my trip.

Sorry for the bump

Just out of curiosity, how difficult was this? I'm heading off to Schapelle's Isle in August with some pals, and am itching to do something a little less banal than shop/swim/bake. We're all pretty fit, but have absolutely no trekking experience whatsoever.

I'd love to do the start-at-midnight-reach-the-peak-before-sunrise thing, but am I kidding myself that any of us would actually make it?

Thanks in advance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balls Deep View Post

Not this tart again

rancho +

Times thanked
<
it's an easy climb so long as you're reasonably fit. of my group only 1 turned around and went back but he was really unfit.

took about 5 hours to go up and back with maybe 30 mins at the top. the first hour is the hardest as you're climbing up a dirt path through the bush and it's steepish. once you get through that section and hit the volcanic rock it's much easier. just make sure you have really good shoes as it can be slippery and there's nothing to hold onto.

we paid a guide about 80AUD but you don't need one it turns out. basically, get a lift to the temple at the end of the road, climb the big ass flight of stairs and head around the left side of the temple. follow the track around the back of the temple and then it will continue off into the trees and you're on your way. you'll need to have someone collect you too as it's too far to walk back to the village. we actually ditched our guide at the summit because he was about 60 and needed a nap...

pack light with some food and water and bring a light jacket for the top as it get's really cold due to the wind/altitude. we started about 2am which was too late to get to the summit for sunrise so yeah, start closer to midnight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

well, according to dictionary.com
chilli is hot pepper food etc.
chilly is cold temperature.

esoteric31 +

Times thanked
<
Thanks a lot for that information, most of the reviews that I've read bang on about what a "difficult" and "arduous" climb Mt Agung is, but I guess a lot of those reviews are written by gung ho slobs?

We're in Bali for 9 nights, so we're thinking of doing the (apparently easier Gunung Batur) early in the week, and the higher, Gunung Agung a bit later on. We'll definitely be taking a guide, dnw to get lost on the side of a volcano We're all runners so I'm not especially worried about fitness levels, but steep climbs do have a habit of separating the boys from the men. Or something.

Thanks again.

Quote:

Not this tart again

rancho +

Times thanked
<
they sound like a bunch of pussies. all it comes down to is having the stamina to exercise for a few hours. there's no climbing or difficult parts, all it is is walking up a steep path

i carried a small chessboard up too and we played at the top

edit. actually it does get a bit hairy at the very peak if you're keen to get right up to the crater rim. we stopped just shy of the rim as it was windy and we were wearing shorts/t-shirts as we didn't have anything warmer and we didn't want to leave my mates gf on her own whilst us stupid boys went higher.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

well, according to dictionary.com
chilli is hot pepper food etc.
chilly is cold temperature.

esoteric31 +

Times thanked
<
Thanks rancho, am so looking forward to it now, I can smell the sulfur already!

Quote:

Not this tart again

pamhilts +

Times thanked
<
Re:Bali
Indonesian through Bali has been selected as “The Best Destination Spa in the whole World.” …........Really This place is so natural and beautiful and famous for its Natural beauty..Bali is the the ultimate spa destination as voted internationally by many magazines all over the world....Dream Destination for every one...!!! There is lots of beautiful places to visit....Where you can enjoy the real beauty of the Bali...!!

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts
bali diving?
step on my cubes.
FTorres +

Times thanked
<
^ Hmm didn't dive when I was over there, would of liked to have been able to put my license to use though. Would like to know more about this.

Quote:

I don't go to be in the VIP area and drink fancy champagne. I don't need big breaks and a big song with a buildup and lights and smoke.. all you need is a kickdrum and a good bassline. You don't need any of that other shit. Na, I'm not going for none of those reasons... I'm just going for the music.

grapsta +

Times thanked
<
lots of good dive spots...Amed wreck up north being the most well known spot I reckon..I snorkelled it recently..was amazing but most people scuba diving..sure it'd be awesome with a tank....great diving over on the Gili's too ( Lombok but not far by boat from Bali)
I'd recomend anyone going to Bali to check out Gili Trawangan

those of you who are saying Dreamland is a good spot how recently have you been there?....think it's changed / been ruined a bit... I went in Feb. was very high tide so not much sand..but massive hotel overlooking the beach and too many tourists....Balangan is nearby....kinda the new Dreamland...lots of the old warungs from Dreamland have moved there so I hear. Beautiful place to kick back for a day. actually i should shut up about that place
grapsta +

Times thanked
<
oh - Zanzibar in Legian has good coffee..hard to find in Bali. always go a macciato rather than a latte if it's on offer...the milk in Bali is pretty much all UHT
diva_demands +

Times thanked
<
how much spending money would you need to have a good time for 10days over there???
Cranker +

crankin it

Times thanked
<
^ depends what you want to do, Id take 1500-2000 for 10 days, but I do an insane amount of shopping (picking up alot of xmas and birthday presents) and I usually hit up 1 or 2 decent spas (four seasons, Ayana etc)...plus a night at Kudeta costs me about 200 bucks alone

You can totally do it on the cheap though, dinner only needs to cost about 10 bucks, taxis less then 5, bintangs around 2. I plan on going for 5 weeks next time, and I'll be making 2k stretch as far as possible
diva_demands +

Times thanked
<
dont plan on doin it on the cheap, looking at 5* resorts, want to hit a few spas and also do a heap of shopping, so i should probably aim for at least 2k i suppose
Cranker +

crankin it

Times thanked
<
Highly recommend Ayana Resort for there Spa treatments and Four Seaons Spa, we did 2.5 hours there, soooo relaxing, both at jimbarren bay
grapsta +

Times thanked
<
$100 bucks a day is more than enough. If you figure that most things like food and drinks are roughly half price compared to Oz you'll be ok. Of course you can eat at places that are a quarter of the price. spirits aint cheap. taxis are . can get a massage for 50-70,000 rph if you shop around
FTorres +

Times thanked
<
$100 a day is easy. What I did and lived like a King, a stupidly drunken one at that, every day had money left over as well.

Quote:

I don't go to be in the VIP area and drink fancy champagne. I don't need big breaks and a big song with a buildup and lights and smoke.. all you need is a kickdrum and a good bassline. You don't need any of that other shit. Na, I'm not going for none of those reasons... I'm just going for the music.

grapsta +

Times thanked
<
yeah me too ..pretty much had $80 a day for 3 weeks last time. Did bugger all shopping apart from $100 at one shop ...rest was on great food...beers..taxis....few massages..snorkel hire....scooter hire plus lots of travelling round
cruisysloth +

Living the dream..

Times thanked
<
Hi everyone, I'm looking at heading over in end Sept or through Oct for anywhere between 2 weeks to a month. Never been before and really excited. Taking the bodyboard over so keen to do some surfing. As well as the standard partying, drinking and lazing around on the beach.

A few quick questions:

What's the weather like at that time of the year?
What's the surf like?
Where should I stay if I want to surf?!?
Any recommendations for cheap accommodation?!?!
Something simple like a single room near the beach maybe with a good swimming pool?
Any highly recommended tours or places to go / see?!? (there's been a few good ones posted on here already that I'll do)

Any help is greatly appreciated
Living the dream...
sirensounds +

Times thanked
<
Is Bali safe for a girl to be traveling alone? I'll be there in November for Paradise in Bali with a friend and we were meant to be traveling around South East Asia together for seven weeks but now she has to come home early so I'll be alone after around five days..

I've been to Thailand twice by myself so I'm not to fussed about the whole being alone thing, I'm just wondering how safe Bali is. We'll probably be staying together in Kuta but after that I'd like to see some other parts of the island.
grapsta +

Times thanked
<
yeah i imagine it's pretty safe...surely safer than most places..the people are so friendly...and there's people everywhere you go...like anywhere just be safe and don't walk down too many dark streets by yourself. surely you cna hook up with some other travellers if you stay in the right spots.

can't recommend balitravel.com for bali info

also baliwaves for surf info
Cranker +

crankin it

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirensounds View Post

Is Bali safe for a girl to be traveling alone? I'll be there in November for Paradise in Bali with a friend and we were meant to be traveling around South East Asia together for seven weeks but now she has to come home early so I'll be alone after around five days..

I've been to Thailand twice by myself so I'm not to fussed about the whole being alone thing, I'm just wondering how safe Bali is. We'll probably be staying together in Kuta but after that I'd like to see some other parts of the island.

You'll be fine, you'll get hassled the same as you would with a guy there or a few of you, just politely say Tidak teri-ma-kashi (no thankyou) and they'll back off, the balinese are part of the reason I go to bali every year, they are the nicest people on earth, there just trying to get through each day with a smile on there face! so jealous, where else are you planning to go in asia?
sirensounds +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cranker View Post

You'll be fine, you'll get hassled the same as you would with a guy there or a few of you, just politely say Tidak teri-ma-kashi (no thankyou) and they'll back off, the balinese are part of the reason I go to bali every year, they are the nicest people on earth, there just trying to get through each day with a smile on there face! so jealous, where else are you planning to go in asia?

Thanks! I'll also be going to Thailand, Laos and Cambodia, then back to Thailand for the full moon party on new years eve. I can't wait!
cruisysloth +

Living the dream..

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirensounds View Post

Thanks! I'll also be going to Thailand, Laos and Cambodia, then back to Thailand for the full moon party on new years eve. I can't wait!

I was lucky enough to do that this NYE just gone. UNBELIEVABLE. A true once in a lifetime experience. Make sure you go to Tommy's Bar on the beach, best music on the beach, driving goa trance alllllll night long!!!
Living the dream...
rileybriggs +

Times thanked
<
The airport to fly somewhere better.
Stop reading this
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by rileybriggs View Post

The airport to fly somewhere better.

Stunning contribution, mate!

Best thread I could find about Bali, lots of great information, thanks already people...but anyone been recently? Anything new to add or things in here which have changed and should now be avoided? Still fine to live like kings on $100AUD a day?

Already decided on 5-6 night in Legian/Seminyak, and end with 3 nights in Ubud...staying middle of the market, but beach access hotel in Legian, will just pick a place which rates well on Trip Advisor unless anyone has any suggestions...was thinking about Marhati Bali Hotel and Spa...great ratings, without being massive and impersonal like some resorts can be.

Suggests on lush places in Ubud would be ace.

Well keen on the safari and baby animal cuddling

Great info on things to do and places to eat...cheers!

$1 AUD to 9000+ IDR is ace, innit?
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
sneaky hands +

green

Times thanked
<
i spent a few weeks there last month
ubud is crazy developed now, it's a real mad house of people and traffic. Still possible to find nice quiet spots there but the town itself is very busy. personally im not a fan.
We went to an amazing villa named villa sasoon in Candidasa, as a destination candidasa doesnt have a whole lot to offer other than excellent food (probs the best selection of good value restaurants ive seen in bali), but it's not far from other activities and the villa itself made it more than worthwhile. A few crates of bintang and private dinners were gone through over that few days.
Spent the rest of the time at balangan beach - good for beginner and advanced surfers, but only a few hours each side of high tide. Short trip to the action at kuta, or the other beaches down there like dreamland and uluwatu. I'd go back even though the accomodation there wasn't so good.
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
Thanks mate, Ubud for us will just be a flash-ish resort/spa and total relaxing/drinking so don't mind the town being built up now, probably still feels small compared to Kuta/Legian area, no?

Did you feel at all unsafe there? Smart Traveller is advising not to go, basically:

We advise you to reconsider your need to travel to Indonesia, including Bali, due to the very high threat of terrorist attack. Ask yourself whether, given your own personal circumstances, you're comfortable travelling to Indonesia knowing there is a very high threat from terrorism and you may be caught up in a terrorist attack. Ask yourself whether travel could be deferred or an alternative destination chosen. If, having considered these issues, you do decide to travel to Indonesia, you should exercise extreme caution.

Not sure how seriously to take that...
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
sneaky hands +

green

Times thanked
<
That warning was there when we went but we had no issues at all. Then again we didn't really hang out anywhere that was particularly infested with tourists.

if anything, i felt like the balinese people were just glad we were there - a few people we spoke along the way expressed concern about high vacancy rates, saying the tourism industry there is suffering at the moment due not only to travel warnings but people feeling the pinch economically and simply not travelling to destinations like Bali.
white lie +

Times thanked
<
The "terrorist" warning has been out since the attacks however many years ago.
The only one i'd be wary of is legionnaires, seems to be a few coming down with it lately.
My parents spent a couple of weeks over there about 2-3 weeks ago and said there was nothing to worry about, i'll be there in 3 weeks time.

You will easily be able to live on $100/day unless you go out to the more upmarket restaurants or want to play golf. Even still, you will pay maybe $100-150 for a 5 star meal for two, where you'd probably be looking at over 300 over here.
Keep it Loud, And make me Proud
Page 1 of 2

« Previous Thread Next Thread »