The Main Room

Triple J

Page 1 of 2
  Tools
Digitalgrub +

Times thanked
<
Triple J
Anyone else noticed that the J's is playing a HEAP of dance music lately? Most of it is in the more indie-pop kind of stuff and electo/mainstream dubstep...(although it would be good to hear more 'clubby' style tracks)

Is it just a bad time for rock or a reflection of the management's tastes?
All mixes, tunes and gigs info at Kazuki.com.au
patrickbateman +

the devil's son

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,263 Posts
listen to pbs or rrr instead
Kid A +

Private Language

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickbateman View Post

listen to rrr instead

this.

Triple J's playlist should not be used as any kind of indicator of the contemporary musical geist or direction, but as an indicator of stuff bogan shit****s like.

There are plenty of good contemporary rock groups.
SUSPENDED IN GAFFA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HKtU-w6Bho

Last edited by Kid A: 01-Feb-12 at 02:30pm

Villephant +

Can't see

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,468 Times in 763 Posts
the views expressed in this thread are correct
Villephant - 2014-02 It's still 2, it's still 2!
InfraDread - Lover's Jungle
m_xt +

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,490 Times in 784 Posts
Even mainstream commercial radio is playing lots of pop dance music. Its just what is popular right now.
Dieslpower +

The shaman naboo

Times thanked
<
People who knock triple J really need to go live somewhere with only commercial radio stations. Triple J has a massive and noticeably positive impact on the musical landscape of this country. When I lived in canada most of the radio stations played nothing but black eyed peas, beyonce, or maybe some deadmau5 if they were trying to be edgy/cool. Imagine channel V targeted towards 13 year old girls. But worse.

For around three months I couldn't turn on the radio or go to a pub without hearing Kid Rock's sweet home Alabama. I don't even think that song was released in Australia it was that bad. Who cares if bogans are getting into cut copy, or nero, or M83. That's infinitely better than most of the stuff that I've ever heard played on north american radio.

And if you listen regularly you do hear some more underground stuff (they were pushing this reasonably heavy a few months back http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4FW10UvjJ0)

Additional respect for how much attention they give to country / rural areas with things like the one night stand etc. Go meet people from rural canada (especially provinces like alberta and saskatchewan) and see how australia stacks up.
rancho +

Oooooooh such a good time

Times thanked
<
Thanked 7,099 Times in 2,856 Posts
i listen to triple j in the car. there's some shit tunes on there, but there's plenty of decent pop and even obscure stuff i hear that i wouldn't otherwise find.

haters gonna hate, but unless they listen to triple j how do they know it's so shit?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

well, according to dictionary.com
chilli is hot pepper food etc.
chilly is cold temperature.

Villephant +

Can't see

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,468 Times in 763 Posts
i do not...
listen to any radio station...
Villephant - 2014-02 It's still 2, it's still 2!
InfraDread - Lover's Jungle
rancho +

Times thanked
<
i pick up government radio in my fillings

Quote:

m_xt +

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803

Times thanked
<
I listen to JJJ until I hear Skrillex then I change the station.
Check it ****s.
Soundcloud

LAZE
Onijin +

Pastor of Muppets

Times thanked
<
Usually listen to Hack, but that's about it. Listen to internet radio stations like NSBradio and the Backyard Project, nowadays.
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieslpower View Post

People who knock triple J really need to go live somewhere with only commercial radio stations. Triple J has a massive and noticeably positive impact on the musical landscape of this country. When I lived in canada most of the radio stations played nothing but black eyed peas, beyonce, or maybe some deadmau5 if they were trying to be edgy/cool. Imagine channel V targeted towards 13 year old girls. But worse.

For around three months I couldn't turn on the radio or go to a pub without hearing Kid Rock's sweet home Alabama. I don't even think that song was released in Australia it was that bad. Who cares if bogans are getting into cut copy, or nero, or M83. That's infinitely better than most of the stuff that I've ever heard played on north american radio.

And if you listen regularly you do hear some more underground stuff (they were pushing this reasonably heavy a few months back http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4FW10UvjJ0)

Additional respect for how much attention they give to country / rural areas with things like the one night stand etc. Go meet people from rural canada (especially provinces like alberta and saskatchewan) and see how australia stacks up.

hang on, you mean there are bogans in rural areas of other countries? well, fuck.
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
Dj Whisper +

Bouncing off clouds

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,092 Times in 588 Posts

Quote:

listen to pbs or rrr instead

Workmate gave me a heads up about rrr a little while back and it saved my morning drive to work.
camlv +

Yeah nah

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalgrub View Post

Anyone else noticed that the J's is playing a HEAP of dance music lately? Most of it is in the more indie-pop kind of stuff and electo/mainstream dubstep...(although it would be good to hear more 'clubby' style tracks)

Is it just a bad time for rock or a reflection of the management's tastes?

They were losing their youth audience. I think it's a deliberate attempt to reconnect with the 15-20 YO bracket. Kids these days love their dubstep and indie dance

Also what's so good about rrr???
http://soundcloud.com/talismusic
jramsden04 +

Bangaranging

Times thanked
<
Better listen than nova and fox that's for sure.
Personally I like to listen to new sounds rather than the same old Rihanna track stuck on repeat on your nova and foxes.
Kellyboop +

Lettuce be cereal here, guys.

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,740 Times in 1,547 Posts
People in Saskatchewan don't know what music is unless it's played on a corncobpipe.

Source: I was born in the shithole.
walkdogz +

Times thanked
<
FBI in Sydney plays a good bunch of stuff.
m_xt +

Times thanked
<
+1 on FBI, a lot of aus and specifically Sydney bands/groups plus cool selection of DJs in the arvo.
patrickbateman +

the devil's son

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,263 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by camlv View Post

Also what's so good about rrr???

they don't play any aussie hip hop. or skrillex
danmau5 +

has just about had it up to here with you.

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,549 Times in 1,791 Posts
triple j repeats music almost as much as commercial stations do. and you have the added bonus of listening to stupid teen-humour in the mornings. win.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bism View Post

Go fuck yourself, Daniel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bism View Post

Dan is wise and true.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post

the fuck kind of name is danmowfive

Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts
yeah, miss FBi now I'm not living in Sydney.

edit: apparently Fire Up is back on air in a few weeks.... much man<3 for that hour, always seems to make me laugh at their highly average jokes.
step on my cubes.

Last edited by Bracko: 02-Feb-12 at 09:19am

mlirosi +

bangin 7gram rocks

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,154 Times in 885 Posts
and here is what i prepared earlier

Broadcast radio aint nothing but a bunch of capitalist pigs pushing their social and commercial ideologies down our throat

No longer does it broadcast my favourite collective of opaque underground, industrial advanced genre pushing prog house ohhh how 2007 was a different time
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts
With so many other music/radio options, why bother with JJJ

PS: Radio National FTW !!!
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
Portal +

Work that motherf#$ker

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,030 Times in 449 Posts
3aw Ftw
Dieslpower +

The shaman naboo

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicy View Post

hang on, you mean there are bogans in rural areas of other countries? well, fuck.

I know right! Some even have conservative views on homosexuality and/or race! #thingswhitetrashlike
thetron +

Get in the Van.

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlirosi View Post

and here is what i prepared earlier

Broadcast radio aint nothing but a bunch of capitalist pigs pushing their social and commercial ideologies down our throat

No longer does it broadcast my favourite collective of opaque underground, industrial advanced genre pushing prog house ohhh how 2007 was a different time

yeah cus prog was soo good in 2007
daverh +

zou bisou

Times thanked
<
Best station of all stations.

http://abc.net.au/triplej/player/unearthed.htm
Yondo +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

... or nero, or M83.

Sif put nero anywhere near my M83

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howard Moon

Little tip for you. What I do, I stick to classic jazz when I DJ, yeah? And then, just when they're least expecting it, drop some Weather Report in. Ow! Blows their minds. Might want to try that yourself.

joshforrest +

Times thanked
<
FBI all the way......

love fire up.....
jramsden04 +

Bangaranging

Times thanked
<
FBI in digital?
Kid A +

Private Language

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlirosi View Post

Media Player
SUSPENDED IN GAFFA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HKtU-w6Bho
Lambretta +

Now Aussie....STILL dodgy

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,018 Times in 665 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by walkdogz View Post

FBI in Sydney plays a good bunch of stuff.

FBI also plays hours and hours on unlistenable tripe.
Never mind the bollocks
Here's Lambretta
Miaow Mix +

Jah voll

Times thanked
<
Kiss FM. No other craptastic station mentioned in this craptastic thread even comes close.

Remember, you can always find East by staring directly at the sun.
Lambretta +

Times thanked
<
I have always listened to Triple J as my station of choice since arriving in Sydney 17 years ago

It plays a mix of electronic, alternative pop, alternative rock and hip hop. Yes, it will play a Skrillex tune or some mind numbing trash hip hop that isn't to my tastes, but after a few minutes songs tend to end and new stuff comes on.

If I had stopped listening to Triple J I would not have bought albums by the following artists in the past year or so

Hungry Kids of Hungry, Group Love, Arctic Monkeys, Bon Iver, Delphic, Foo Fighters, Massive Attack, MGMT & Tame Impala

I also wouldnt have heard of the Jezabels, Art vs Science, Arcade Fire, Nero, Lana Del Ray and loads of other artists I never would have heard of had I listened to Nova, Triple M, Mix 106.5, WSFM, 2GB, 3VD, 4PP or whatever fucking list of letters radio stations seem to use.

Go to England and see what you get for youth radio. Radio fucking 1. It's absolute bollocks. Yes you get Kiss, but they have adverts every 30 seconds and the decent programming is often either on a weekend or at 2 in the morning when you're either in a club or asleep. Monday to Friday, 9 to 5 its the same as Nova etc.

Triple J has House Party (eclectic, accessilbe music) - 2012 (upcoming bands and new releases) and loads of other great shows. Since the CD player broke in my car I've been loving having the radio back.

People might knock Triple J, but I love it. How many other 40 year olds have the taste in music you see listed above? Yes FBi plays some great music, but they also play hours and hours of music so obscure and genre specific that you have to wait a long time to hear stuff that might be to your tastes. This rarely happens on the J's.

Most people my age sit there and whinge about how music used to better back when they were younger. Bollocks. There is as much good, relevant music around today as there's ever been. I'm forever getting new albums and downloading new live sets. If you think there's no good music, you're just not looking hard enough. Thanks to Triple J and ITM I find enough great new music to keep me busy and entertained in all my spare time.

I hope it keeps me entertained until I'm 80 years old.
Never mind the bollocks
Here's Lambretta
Lambretta +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miaow Mix View Post

Kiss FM. No other craptastic station mentioned in this craptastic thread even comes close.

Good fucking god. Kiss FM is almost the same as 2Dayfm and Nova during the day but more electronic.

It plays large swathes of top 40 music with ad breaks every two songs that often go longer than the fucking songs.

It's highly commercial for long periods. Yes it's great late in the night and on weekends when people are never listening, but during the day it's dire. Best left to downloads for the individual sets rather than every day listening.
Never mind the bollocks
Here's Lambretta
Lambretta +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

they don't play any aussie hip hop. or skrillex

What frequency do they broadcast on in Sydney?
I'll throw it into the car radio..
Never mind the bollocks
Here's Lambretta
RudeTed +

Times thanked
<
Triple J unearthed is the best thing to happen to undiscovered talent in the whole world. Nothing in the whole world comes close. If you are an up and coming musician then you are in the best place in the world to become recognised.
RudeTed +

Times thanked
<
There, I said "world" 3 times what you wanna fight about it
Astro-Boy +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 23,515 Times in 10,717 Posts
1521QN all the way.
rancho +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by RudeTed View Post

Triple J unearthed is the best thing to happen to undiscovered talent in the whole world. Nothing in the whole world comes close. If you are an up and coming musician then you are in the best place in the world to become recognised.

yeah unearthed is awesome. my mate's band got to play bdo this year because of unearthed. he's been putting in the hard yards for years so it's not like he didn't deserve a leg up.

but more importantly, there's countless artists who have broken it big time in aus and abroad because of it. sure, triple j has commercial interests but because of that commercial appeal they can do awesome stuff for aus music and give us fun shit like 'like a version', 'live at the wireless' and the big day out live shit.

Quote:

weapon +

ism

Times thanked
<
I was about to disagree.... until I heard Rihanna - All of the lights. No shit. Perhaps JJJ is turning to shit
daverh +

zou bisou

Times thanked
<
That's a Kanye West song. Just like they played MSTRKRFT's Heartbreaker which featured John Legend and that Jack White song with Alicia Keys.
Juggers +

Times thanked
<
too much hip hop and tom and alex

only listen to kexp at worrrk
mischa21 +

yessum

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,083 Posts
never ever listened to commercial radio until I was in brisbane recently and the hip hop show was on the JJJs so I had to flick. after 40 seconds of NOVA I had to turn off the station before I deliberately crashed the car to get away from their inane chat and overused sound effects. It was unbelievably bad. JJJs have changed since back in the day but they're streaks ahead of other commercial crap.

this is NOVA to a tee:
Media Player
dn-ul +

yooo

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,174 Times in 193 Posts
this sums it up really.
kingsmill has forsaken us
Media Player
http://www.triplejunearthed.com/DanJohn
mlirosi +

bangin 7gram rocks

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,154 Times in 885 Posts
your not a hipster your just a nazi...GOLD JERRY GOLD!!!
hatzornotahat +

Field Marshal

Times thanked
<
not the downfall meme...again.
Vae, puto deus fio!
trouble hifire +

wax addict

Times thanked
<
I think the only radio station I have listened too in the past 6-7 years has been 4zzz (Brisbane) and even then its only on a rare occasion if someone good is hosting (eg. NamShub).

Though I truly wish they would bring Original Drum back
http://soundcloud.com/hifire

Catch me playing @

Gangarang @ Rumpus Room 8th of June
Junkyard Sessions @ Rumpus Room 16th of June
primalstatik +

Just call me p-statz.

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,334 Times in 1,288 Posts
JJJ is not as good as it used to be but it has its moments. Soundlab is still dope and when Caroline Tran is on, the music quality increases dramatically. Mixup sucks balls without Nicole Foote though. Actually thought the Hottest 100 countdown was fairly good this year, was stoked that M83 - Midnight City was #5.
Miaow Mix +

Jah voll

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lambretta View Post

Good fucking god. Kiss FM is almost the same as 2Dayfm and Nova during the day but more electronic.

It plays large swathes of top 40 music with ad breaks every two songs that often go longer than the fucking songs.

It's highly commercial for long periods. Yes it's great late in the night and on weekends when people are never listening, but during the day it's dire. Best left to downloads for the individual sets rather than every day listening.

Lies! Do you even listen to Nova? The playlists have nothing in common. Nothing!

Ker-ist. I'm posting in a hipster circle-jerk thread.

Remember, you can always find East by staring directly at the sun.
Page 1 of 2

« Previous Thread Next Thread »