Melbourne

Stereosonic 2013

Tools
Chrisdude +

Times thanked
<
Stereosonic 2013
Confirmed its going over 2 days. December 7 & 8 in Melbourne.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Chrisdude: 10-May-13 at 06:19pm

Evan_88 +

Times thanked
<
makes sense i guess , how else would they fit all the melbourne locals in on one day .... lol

on a serious note , its certainly interested
dazza_b +

Suburb scum

Times thanked
<
I think they won't get enough people through the gates for two days.
MJay1993 +

Times thanked
<
It'll be interesting to see how they go about this. They could give all DJs extended sets this year, but considering there was no Creamfields 2013, I think it'll be heavy concentration of acts across both days.

Anyway, pretty farken pumped for this if they choose their talent wisely!
Chrisdude +

Times thanked
<
If the rumours are true that they are only gonna sell 2 day tickets for $200 then this will prob backfire. A lot of people won't want to go both days, and its wasaay too expensive for a day.
MJay1993 +

Times thanked
<
One thing's for certain is that they're going to have to spread talent across all genres over both days. If not, there's going unhappy campers who might not be catered for on either of the days.

Also, the Saturday's got acts spread across three cities. How that's going to work is beyond me.
dazza_b +

Suburb scum

Times thanked
<
How the hell are they going to do the 7th? Adelaide Brisbane and Melbourne all have shows that day. *edit*dammit, MJay1993 beat me to that point.

I am very keen to see the line up and timetables just to see how the hell they plan to do this.
daveyjaye +

has got more flavour than a packet of macaroni

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,493 Times in 2,394 Posts
ambitious, but can't see why it wont work.

you'd imagine that it'd be like $120 for a day ticket, or $200 for both days.

maybe 1 or 2 less stages
Dave Juric Live Sets and Promo Mixes

Gigs

Dec 20th - Mahala & Stable - Alexkid - Railway
Dec 27th - Darkbeat & Stable - DJ T - Railway
Dec 28th - DARKBEAT - STANTON WARRIORS & A SKILLZ - Railway
Dec 31st - Mahala - PEPPERPOT - NYE - Railway
Jan 1st - CARL COX - SHED 9
MJay1993 +

Times thanked
<
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertai...-1226639546187

Only two-day ~$199 tix (and that's for first release). They'd better hope they spread the lineup well over the two days.
JovanS +

Times thanked
<
Don't attend festivals like Future Music, Stereosonic etc anymore, save it for things like Subsonic.

But found this to be an interesting idea.

At first, I actually they may copy BDO & have the same artists play both days, so if you miss the 1st day, you have a 2nd chance & vice versa.

BUT, if they're only going to sell tix for 2 days, then I highly doubt they'll go down that road.
dazza_b +

Suburb scum

Times thanked
<
All I know is that going to this would cut into my saving for Rainbow so I'll pass, best of luck to them though.
Will Melbourne have enough g to last two whole days though? That is the real question.
Chrisdude +

Times thanked
<
Stereo are trying to milk how big it got the last 2 years but I think that this is going to backfire for multiple reasons.

- How many people are really going to want to attend a festival at Flemington over 2 days? Probably less than half of the attendees, considering there is no camping or anything. So to have no 1 day ticket option will turn a lot of people off.
- Stereo may have sold out last year, but that was only maybe 6 weeks before the festival. There is no way they would sell much more than last year if they are $50 more. I know a lot of festival goers people who might go for 1 or 2 acts and simply won't pay $200+, plus if acts you want to see are on different days it can be simply annoying.
- Having 3 states overlap one day is a total mess. It means there is no direction between the days and any artist will just be thown on wherever they can fit.

Hopefully Totem OneLove know what they are doing, but its extremely risky.
statik +

Times thanked
<
Perhaps you should wait to see the lineup before you assume anything
nocturnal_groova +

Times thanked
<
Sounds like a stupid idea to me....its not a bush doof.

Good luck to them i suppose, I don't do those events anymore but I do hope they plan for it properly, St. John's ambulance etc...
daveyjaye +

Times thanked
<
what makes you think that they wont have single day tickets? has it been said anywhere?

Gigs

nocturnal_groova +

Times thanked
<
The herald sun article.

Two day tickets only for $200, no camping overnight.
daveyjaye +

Times thanked
<
ah I see.

well yeh that's pretty fkn dumb.

they have 2 day festivals all the time here in London. but you can always buy single day tickets.

Gigs

mattpolo8 +

on a good day...

Times thanked
<
yeah bad move

i know people that have travelled for it. most work on the monday. cant stay an extra night. i definitely won't pay for 2 days. farrrk that. bush doof maybe. but a festival in the city. with the same pain in the ass of catching that train. eat a dick totem. bad move.
qoop +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,561 Times in 928 Posts
if you guys don't think it'll work, then wait for it and see whether it works out or not.
keep giving feedback and the organizers will read what your exact thoughts are,
and then end up improving those issues (hope they improve the train travel then! ) to make it work,...

just be apathetic and watch it unfold like the elections will

Quote:

Originally Posted by statik View Post

Perhaps you should wait to see the lineup before you assume anything

so far, on the line-up is Doctor P - www.facebook.com/doctorpcircus

actual curiosity is RSF's line-up and nothing else (well, maybe Strawberry )
these words fill this space
SlicyDicer +

white people are the worst

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,179 Times in 1,770 Posts
It's good that the artists can have an extra day in each city to stay in 4-5 star hotels and eat nice food with the promoters

I love EDM so much. Mostly the one with the guy that plays the music. I like that EDM.
http://soundcloud.com/kultrun
Beatport
silverspoon +

new and improved!

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,883 Times in 868 Posts
GCGSS imo.
djpractice +

Times thanked
<
Stereosonicland
Practice - Playing weird shit since 2004
reak0r +

crum guzzler.

Times thanked
<
should make it over 3 days. take it out of the city. allow camping. get rid of all the muzz music. add heaps of techno and psytrance. change the name. call it rainbow II. have a good time.
Mike Hunt +

Times thanked
<
I think it's a great idea.

An extra day means more TECHNO!

Bring back Laurent Garnier, Sandwell District, Marco Carola and Steve Rachmad please. Also please bring out Juan Atkins, James Ruskin, Paul Mac and Terrence Fixmer.

Thanks
check out mike hunts weblog

http://mikehunts.wordpress.com

New mixes available for download
mojo-jojo +

Times thanked
<
I like the idea, its a pretty small price hike for another day. This hopefully can avoid the australia city music festival situation where the promoter has each act playing on one of 8 stages for only 45 minutes. I'm thinking international acts might enjoy having 1 big weekend to play instead of 2 with an obligatory week of bumming about australia.

People that really want to catch certain acts are free not to go one of the days, anyone who goes hard the first day has the option to lay low the next, and people with self control and some stamina can make use of both days.

I think it would avoid, or at least distribute some of that public transport cluckserfuck of everyone leaving at the same time too, since people wouldn't all be staying till the end both nights.

In short I'm hoping this translates to min 2 hour sets, but they have my money already anyway.
dazza_b +

Suburb scum

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrisdude View Post

Stereo may have sold out last year, but that was only maybe 6 weeks before the festival.

THIS, if they had sold out a week or so after tickets going on sale it would make perfect sense to have two days.

Having said that, I saw a stupid amount of people loosing their shit on stereos facebook page after they announced this and if they can reduce ticket prices due to the sheer volume of people (they have to do single day tickets or it will fail) then this might just be crazy enough to work.
I mean it will still be a roided/juiced up EDM confetti cannon main stage circle jerk but it could be a profitable circle jerk.
Also could mean some decent side stage acts and sideshows.

Spoiler:
calling it now, a bangers stage
Plife_23 +

Times thanked
<
Risky move, really hoping this means the 2nd day will be a lot quieter. But after seeing virtually one hour sets from every but the trance and techno guys i really hope this means we get at least 1.5hours. gonna have to pull a crazy line up tho (read as commercial line up aka Guetta, Calvin, Avicii, Tiesto). Its gonna have to be even bigger than last years line up (which was already nuts) to even consider selling out. I dont really see it working somehow
ladyinred +

See you Space Samurai...

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,169 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:

Stereo are trying to milk how big it got the last 2 years but I think that this is going to backfire for multiple reasons.

- How many people are really going to want to attend a festival at Flemington over 2 days? Probably less than half of the attendees, considering there is no camping or anything. So to have no 1 day ticket option will turn a lot of people off.
- Stereo may have sold out last year, but that was only maybe 6 weeks before the festival. There is no way they would sell much more than last year if they are $50 more. I know a lot of festival goers people who might go for 1 or 2 acts and simply won't pay $200+, plus if acts you want to see are on different days it can be simply annoying.
- Having 3 states overlap one day is a total mess. It means there is no direction between the days and any artist will just be thown on wherever they can fit.

Hopefully Totem OneLove know what they are doing, but its extremely risky.

since Bris, Melb, Ade are one weekend and then Syd, Per the other weekend. The common sense arrangement they would have is that there is enough of a lineup to carry over two days without recycle which they could split in half - A Sat line up and a Sun lineup (Ade gets a Friday lineup instead??).
For those playing at home. Melb Saturday Lineup goes to Bris on Sunday and vice versa.
Adelaide is the tricky one though where I'm guessing Adelaide Friday is brisbanes Saturday (the artists go adelaide>Brisbane> Melbourne). Then the adelaide Saturday is shared with Melbourne Saturday?

Pure speculation but I think they are going to early bird sell it as a two day event but then open up for one day tix if their target sales aren't met by a particular date. Would come off as right ****s though if they did that - but it is a business, and if it makes money why not try it.

Nevertheless, Stereosonic are going to have to have a STELLAR lineup to convince people who buy tickets only to see particular artists. Shelling $200 for a 2 day festival (and dedicating a weekend in time) where there might be only 1-4 acts worth seeing is going to be a tough sell. The ITM regular massif is just not the target audience. We have discussed in the past (and seem to agree) that larger commercial festivals are marketed for people that just want to turn up and party and not worry about the logistics or potentially care whoever is playing. Just as long as they have enough to go the distance. Plus it'll probably be marketed as a 'hey we are like Europe!!! We are hardcore!!! Have your Australianesque Euro party fix here!!!' Sad to have typed some of that, but i think there is truth in it.

As a positive, it would be GREAT to see if the lineup wasn't stuffed with an over abundance of 'filler' acts and a focus on longer set times was introduced. This might then make Stereosonic decide on good quality local supports with mad skills over a lame flavour of the week pokey little puppy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbomb203 View Post

Sausages make everything better astro. FACT.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameszabiela

I have to disagree with regards to the sausages...

Chrisdude +

Times thanked
<
I'm wondering it will be possible to split a ticket i.e use one day and give to a friend the next? Although I'm sure they will want to prevent that sort of thing and give you some sort of wrist band day 1 that you have to keep on for day 2.

Last edited by Chrisdude: 12-May-13 at 01:22pm

dazza_b +

Suburb scum

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyinred View Post

As a positive, it would be GREAT to see if the lineup wasn't stuffed with an over abundance of 'filler' acts and a focus on longer set times was introduced. This might then make Stereosonic decide on good quality local supports with mad skills over a lame flavour of the week pokey little puppy.

But then it wouldn't cater to the Stereosonic crowd so I wouldn't hold my breath on it, happy to be proven wrong though.
ladyinred +

See you Space Samurai...

Times thanked
<
Who knows if it would suit them or not tbh????
Festivals in the past have dictated that people would accept short set times - why not change it up???. If you want To be a progressive festival promoter these days surely you need to change the formula. Why not do it in conjunction with two days??

Quote:

Quote:

crackers4 +

Times thanked
<
I think it's a positive move in terms of festivals in Australia but I do have concerns about the logistics of it. With Adelaide and Melbourne sharing a day in previous years and artists having to fly between the cities to make two different sets there's been stuffs ups that have meant artists have missed sets (Kaskade springs to mind missing his Adelaide gig one year). So amplifying this to having 3 festivals on one day I think it's inevitable that some acts are gonna miss their sets...you just really hope it's none of the main headliners cos that could blow out quickly (imagine 30 odd thousand gacked trance fans getting told armin won't be playing because of a delayed flight!)
MJay1993 +

Times thanked
<
Well it will probably work very similar to the way that it has in previous years. As LiR said before, what will most likely happen is Adelaide's Friday acts = Brisbane's Saturday acts = Melbourne's Sunday acts. Then Melbourne's Saturday acts = Adelaide's Saturday acts = Brisbane's Sunday acts. So it'll only be Adelaide/Melbourne who'll have to share artists on any given day, with no need for having acts play across three states on a day (as that will inevitably cause headaches).
Velociravetor +

Open the door, get on the floor, everybody do the dinosaur!

Times thanked
<
Lineup will be large!

Quote:

"There is nothing more important on the planet Earth, at this moment, than a good party. Why? 'Cause we have fun. We meet our friends. We fall in love, we fall out of love. We find ourselves. We develop, we evolve, we dissolve, we merge and we "lyserge." That's about it." - Raja Ram

ladyinred +

See you Space Samurai...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJay1993 View Post

Well it will probably work very similar to the way that it has in previous years. As LiR said before, what will most likely happen is Adelaide's Friday acts = Brisbane's Saturday acts = Melbourne's Sunday acts. Then Melbourne's Saturday acts = Adelaide's Saturday acts = Brisbane's Sunday acts. So it'll only be Adelaide/Melbourne who'll have to share artists on any given day, with no need for having acts play across three states on a day (as that will inevitably cause headaches).

thanks for repeating what i said.

Quote:

Quote:

MJay1993 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyinred View Post

thanks for repeating what i said.

Heh, my bad! It obviously didn't get through the first time, so I thought a rehashing of what you said could've reinforced the message.

In saying that, a simple quote of your comment could've done the trick.
Plife_23 +

Times thanked
<
does adelaide actually have a public holiday on the friday this yr? cos that would have been handy the last 5 yrs
Chrisdude +

Times thanked
<
No there is no public holiday in Adelaide that day. Soundwave festival is also on a Friday here in Melbourne and it still seems to sell pretty well. As for the 3 day overlap, I guess the Saturday would be the same usual Melb/Adelaide split that we've always had then.
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
Dealing with the cluster fuck of getting home from Flemington after a munter-fest two days in a row?!?! FUCKING PASS!!!

The only realistic way they'll be able to sell single day tickets is to have the lineup for each day set in stone prior to those tickets going on sale, like say the Blues and Roots festival in Byron does...others you're just gambling as to picking the right day in relation to your fav acts.

If it means say $120 for a single day/$200 for both, and you can pick just Day A/B as that's when the main acts you want to see are playing, and it means all acts on each day get longer sets, yeah, fucking oath, that's pretty awesome really

But man, what a nightmare to organise!
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
puretrance89 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi View Post

Dealing with the cluster fuck of getting home from Flemington after a munter-fest two days in a row?!?! FUCKING PASS!!!

Been to stereo once - and never again!!!

Was over crowded, over priced and the music was awful, apart from Laurent Garnier who was amazing

Earthcore and maybe strawberry fields (although strawberry is going down too)
shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<

Quote:

No there is no public holiday in Adelaide that day. Soundwave festival is also on a Friday here in Melbourne and it still seems to sell pretty well. As for the 3 day overlap, I guess the Saturday would be the same usual Melb/Adelaide split that we've always had then.

Adelaide has always had a lot of festivals on non-public holiday Fridays.. The BDO has been doing it since day 1. Never really hurts attendances, people know in advance to take the day off or just rock up after 4-5.

http://soundcloud.com/mmmbutch/
crackers4 +

Times thanked
<
Regarding Adelaide and the friday they could potentially run it during the night. They ran a creamfields on a friday night I'm pretty sure with a slightly reduced lineup.
Ben Royal +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by crackers4 View Post

Regarding Adelaide and the friday they could potentially run it during the night. They ran a creamfields on a friday night I'm pretty sure with a slightly reduced lineup.

Not at the location it's planned for (outside near the city)- there are noise restrictions. I think they'll run it 4-10 or 4-11 on the Friday then the normal 12-10 on the Sat. Adelaide never gets the full lineup anyway.
Velociravetor +

Open the door, get on the floor, everybody do the dinosaur!

Times thanked
<
Here's hoping they think outside of the box with the lineup and not just the generic recycled lineup they smash out each year.

Quote:

"There is nothing more important on the planet Earth, at this moment, than a good party. Why? 'Cause we have fun. We meet our friends. We fall in love, we fall out of love. We find ourselves. We develop, we evolve, we dissolve, we merge and we "lyserge." That's about it." - Raja Ram

Plife_23 +

Times thanked
<
Wouldnt mind seeing Axwell solo, hes seem to be shying away from the agressive electro sound slowly, by December he'll be good to go. Heres his most recent set, expontentially sexy and mroe groovy than the set SHM played on OLT
(I'm going to cop shit for wanting Ax, but imho hes the best mainstream dj around)
http://www43.zippyshare.com/v/16713770/file.html
JovanS +

Times thanked
<
They've done a little Q & A on the Facebook page.

Only double day tickets will be sold, starting from $199. I'm amazed they're going down this road.
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
So essentially their operating costs won't change much, right, if say you're still bringing in the same number of acts but giving them all a bit longer sets...flights/accom for your acts isn't going to change much really in the grand scheme of things, having the PA/lights etc stay for 2 nights instead of 1 isn't a huge increase, your production/setup/rigging/staging costs won't change at all as it's still just one setup and one pack down...but you get to charge everyone $200+ instead of $110+...all the while most of your punters don't want to do 2 seperate days of munting out at Flemington, and someone people will only end up doing one.

What a fucking scam

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

Chrisdude +

Times thanked
<
Well there is no doubt that they won't sell as mayn as last year. Gotta remember that probably half the crowd there are going because of the hype and that their friends are going rather than caring too much whats playing. It will be interesting to see how many are willing to pay that amount because I have a lot of friends who go to Stereosonic just because "it's Stereosonic" and regardless of the lineup. I know many who won't want to do 2 days and $150 was already steep enough for that last year.

I guess if they sell 2/3's of the tickets as last year they are probably better of profit wise though... but will they do that?
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Well yeah, and $200 is just the first release early birds, so last deal tickets will be $250+

Wouldn't want to be playing day 2, lots of people will break themselves and won't come

IHAVENEWLEGS +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 6,062 Times in 3,521 Posts
Hardly new tons of festivals operate this way overseas.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »