Current Affairs and Politics

Red Dwarf: The Movie set for Australia!

Tools
Tyler Durden +

Single Serving Friend

Times thanked
< 1
Red Dwarf: The Movie set for Australia!
Fan's of the classic BBC series will appreaciate this great news just in today from ninemsn.com.au:

Red Dwarf set to engulf Australia
Wed Dec 15 2004

Red Dwarf: The Movie may be shot in Queensland next year, according to the actor who played Kryten in the cult BBC comedy.

Robert Llewellyn said Red Dwarf writer/director Doug Naylor spent time on the Gold Coast last year looking at the possibility of basing the production there.

"He (Naylor) would love to do it out here, certainly because of the facilities, because of the location possibilities and the finance," Llewellyn said from Queensland where he is visiting family.

"If he raises the money in the UK, then every pound goes further in Australia."

Red Dwarf screened on the BBC for eight series from 1988 to 1998.

It starred Llewellyn as Kryten, Chris Barrie as Arnold Rimmer, Craig Charles as David Lister, Danny John-Jules as The Cat and Norman Lovett as Holly.

According to entertainment website IMDB, Red Dwarf: The Movie will be set in the distant future where Homo Sapienoids, a fearsome combination of flesh and machine, have taken over the solar system and almost wiped out the human race.

The only survivors are the crews of long-haul space freighters that left Earth before the conflict began.

The Sapienoids attempt to wipe out all remaining humans and it is left to the Red Dwarf crew to save the day.

Llewellyn said Naylor had received several offers from larger movie houses for the film but he wanted to keep the project independent.

"We all had lunch with him (Naylor) just before I came out (to Australia) and he is so completely committed to the film," Llewellyn said.

"The script is brilliant.

"It is very frustrating from our point of view because we would really love to do it and it has been a long struggle for him to find the money because it is not a cheap film to make."

Llewellyn said the film would have a budget of roughly $30 million and would be shot at the Warner Brothers complex on the Gold Coast.

Red Dwarf has a strong cult following and is featured regularly at science-fiction conventions around the world.

How awesome is that!
Mortlock on SoundCloud

Mortlock Photography & Media
nicko +

Rocks in my pockep

Times thanked
< 0
lol. Hopefully Lister doesn't get busted for rape (?) again and can actually do it. It would be a bit lacking without him
G0ldyL0x +

ITM Legend

Times thanked
< 0

Last edited by G0ldyL0x: 30-Dec-04 at 11:42pm

Gee Frizz +

Cos Im not noticeably fat

Times thanked
< 48
Holy smeg...........................

You're absolutely right, Red Dwarf just ain't Red Dwarf without Lister.
nicko +

Rocks in my pockep

Times thanked
< 0
lister

Can anyone remember the book - is the plot above going to be the same? I don't rmemeber the sapeniods
Jude May +

ohhh yes, me please!

Times thanked
< 301
smeggin ell, im keen already
My SoundCloud
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
qoop +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 3,403
Red Dwarf: The Movie (2005)
The movie is more or less a "reboot" of Red Dwarf, and is not intended to be a direct sequel to the TV series (the last episode of which ended on a cliffhanger); the continuity is slightly different in all three forms - novels, television and film - that Red Dwarf has appeared in.

This Movie is set in the distant future where Homo Sapienoids, a fearsome combination of flesh and machine, and the next stage of human evolution, have taken over the solar system and almost wiped out the human race. The only survivors are the crews of long-haul space freighters that left Earth before the conflict began. The Sapienoids send forth fleets of Death Ships to hunt them down. One by one - the human ships fall, until only one remains. Its name - Red Dwarf...

i'd like to see "The Cat" meow his way around to all the premieres and probably guest star at 'The Logies' hehe....
or even the whole cast appearing on "Rove Live" or "The Panel". that would be amusing.

but i'll definitely hang out for this
these words fill this space
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
< 3,930
i watched the DVDs of the old series and there was voice overs and interviews with the cast ... they're a bit older and fatter now ... i wonder if they will be getting in shape for this venture then
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
Milky Crate Kid +

Francophile

Times thanked
< 0
Wonder if they'll get Norm Lovett back to play Holly or whether Hattie Hayridge will play it? Didn't Norm only do the first 2 series and then get replaced? I'm there anyway...

MCK
When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you shall find it is only that which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy. When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight...
Khalil Gibran
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,385

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicko

lol. Hopefully Lister doesn't get busted for rape (?) again and can actually do it. It would be a bit lacking without him

I thought it was the other guy who created the show, not the actor that played Lister?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdoodle View Post

not liking yoda is like knocking back a root when presented nude in a YD change room

Quote:

Originally Posted by mischa21 View Post

^mmmm all this talk of meat is getting me excited.

Tyler Durden +

Single Serving Friend

Times thanked
< 1
The series is created by Rob Grant and Doug Naylor, the two will also be making the film.

Lister was arrested for rape in 1994, after his girlfriend put forward the charges... he went to court in 1995 but he was never charged as his girlfriend withdrew the claim.
Mortlock on SoundCloud

Mortlock Photography & Media
alexmac +

Limited Slip Disk

Times thanked
< 0
I love rimmer
Such a noble salute.

He is truly inspiring.
Ben Vapid +

Nazi clique moderator.

Times thanked
< 10
Smegtastic.
Vapid - MXML Tech Mix Oct 2008

Ben Vapid - Frisky Sunday Mix April 2009
G0ldyL0x +

ITM Legend

Times thanked
< 0
nah Kryton is where its at , total crack up

can't go past Duanne Dibley either , the cats alter ego, wonder if he'll be in the film
Bill +

behind the mask

Times thanked
< 298
Suck my Thermos trainspotter!!

abstract electronica and drone. lights off, cans on, freak out...
nicko +

Rocks in my pockep

Times thanked
< 0

Sm- yeah as Tyler said. I was saying it would be lacking without lister because he is the main character. I believe there were some further complications in that case, but I can't remember
spiKe +

King Monkey

Times thanked
< 1
Holly was in the first two and then he came back for the very last series, or was it the last two?
"You can always rely on americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else"
Sir Winston Churchill
nicko +

Rocks in my pockep

Times thanked
< 0
oooh its spike

nice hat spike

stfu spike
JessMess +

why oh why am I still at work when it's my almost last day in the public service?

Times thanked
< 9
oooh nice one, I just bought the box set of series 1-4 for my dad for xmas (sorta a xmas pressie for me too )

There were a couple of books hey Nicko? I've got Backwards at home and I think there was one book which was the basis for the Better Than Life episode?
Be good.. and if you can't be good, then be good at it...

FILTH whore
spiKe +

King Monkey

Times thanked
< 1

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicko

oooh its spike

nice hat spike

stfu spike

ummmm......... ok then

back in your corner birdie
"You can always rely on americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else"
Sir Winston Churchill
nicko +

Rocks in my pockep

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by JessMess

oooh nice one, I just bought the box set of series 1-4 for my dad for xmas (sorta a xmas pressie for me too )

There were a couple of books hey Nicko? I've got Backwards at home and I think there was one book which was the basis for the Better Than Life episode?

at the dvd xmas present for self. I did that with indiana jones for dad a while ago. I remember reading the books but can't remember the names, they were good though. A bit depressing though, I never liked how the idea that they were the last ones alive came through so strongly in them

Spike - Sorry, was song lyrics.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »