Movies you've just seen 2: Unnecessary reboot

Closed thread
  Tools
BMoney +

What's on YOUR mind?

Times thanked
< 1,088
Derailed
Much better than I thought, an enjoyable view without being too predictable. An enjoyable shmollywood 'thriller'.

Dogtown & Z-boys The doco, narrated by Sean Penn - I had seen the film previously and really enjoyed it and loved the doco too. Was cool to see all the boys grown up and what they were doing.

The Notebook God I love my wife and this really made me appreciate our love more and hope that our lives end the same way. Not bad for a chick flick, although predictable, but a movie like this isn't supposed to be anything other than what it is.

Firewall Meh. I'm so scared about Indiana Jones 4. Harrison just doesn't do it for me anymore, he seems to pick the same roles everytime. OMG I'm really successful! OMG Somebody is threatening me and my family!! OMG I saved the day and can pull the best 'welled up teary' face! This was awful.

Gigli Right. I, like many of you, had heard about the badness of this film but had never seen it. I had to see it for myself, as I had seen every other weekly and wasn't in the mood to look through them again. Firstly, I hate Ben Affleck and J-Lo. This was pretty bad, but made me laugh in some bits, and the mentally challenged person was quite funny is some bits, although obviously not mentally challenged IRL.
I still love Christopher Walken. Pacino is himself. I lol'd a few times.

best for last:
The Proposition Farkin brilliant. Loved every minute of it. The music, the poetry being read, the scenery. Awesome awesome Oz flick. Would like to see more of Oz films like this please. Brutal, beautiful and made me thank everything I don't live in early settler Oz.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerry2234 View Post

People need to learn how fucking dance rather then playing with there phones rocking side to side

Oblivia +

An entangled inebriate.

Times thanked
< 305
Last week:
Match Point: Kinda interesting while i was watching it, actually pretty good, even if i didnt quite get the main characters motivation. Scarlett was convincing, the other supporting cast were good.

Deadwood (season 2 disks 1&2): I forgot how much I love this show.

Amore Peros (or something like that, loves a bitch in spanish anyways):I kinda liked it at first, but maybe thats all the Gael Garcia, then it sorta dragged, then i liked it again. On the whole i think it was kinda cool.

Lost in translation:I dont think i saw it fully before, i think my parents were watching and i drifted in and out. After amor peros i could have done with something a bit more fast paced, but then i really enjoyed its subtle humor and like, pretty bits.

Somersault: Obvious and clumsy atempts to be edgy and topical, with cliched efforts to be at the same time poignant and beautiful. No real character development, sure they are fucked up, but why, what are they going to do about it?

Man Inside (i didnt actually hire this, my sister did, which was good):top film, quite similar to 25th hour in a way, kinda clever and shot interestingly with little politically bits. I think i should see more spike lee. Its a shame clive owen had his face covered up so much though (hotsauce!)

Punch Drunk Love: Only got half way through before dinner, seems weird, good for adam sandler, but then you remember its him and it fucks with shit.

Then today i went back to the video shop, hit up the 2 overnights and 4 weeklies for $12 again:
Broken Flowers
Waiting (its about wait staff, looks shit)
The Virgin Suicides
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Blue Velvet
and some flick called Better Luck Next Time, which seemed to be in the foregin section simply because it had asians on the cover but appears to be in english and an mtv film.

Oh and the week before last i got dead man and y tu mama tambien, and a stack more, but thats enough for now. Being between jobs aint all bad, although i am sure the video shop folks are sick of the sight of me.
Likes bright colours, dancing, soft fabrics.
Flickr
Oblivia +

An entangled inebriate.

Times thanked
< 305

Quote:

Originally Posted by navskore

Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind - not bad

Oh, that and your dislike of Finding Never Land mean you make it onto my people who’s advice on movies I don’t want list. I am sorry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by navskore

Well whenever my mates hype up movies they never seem to live up to it but fair enough it did deserve a better than not bad but it wasn't like the best movie i'd ever seen or anything.

Not the best movie you have ever seen, ok, thats fine, but its gotta be top 10? surely?

On the other hand,

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMoney

Word. Benicio Del Toro is fast becoming one of my fave actors, 2nd only to Mr Depp.

You are so on the money (har har), your advice i will go with
and...

Quote:

I've recently seen Lemony Snickets and loved every minute of it. Yer right on the (B) money Ms LKT when you say Carrey is good as a straight actor, but he's also one of the top comedians IMO still too.

I loved Sunny (the baby) she was too cute and funny!!

Totally, this film made me go and read the books, which ended up being a large part of my thesis. I rewatched the film last week and it was a really great adaptation. Sunny was excellent, as a fellow biter I see her as a kindred spirit.

How have I never found this thread before?
Flickr

Last edited by Oblivia: 06-Sep-06 at 09:53pm

ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 13,110
Carrey's tedious as a comedian now; he hasn't changed his schtick since Ace Ventura FFS.

Give me serious roles like Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine any day.
pinkitten +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oblivia

Man Inside (i didnt actually hire this, my sister did, which was good):top film, quite similar to 25th hour in a way, kinda clever and shot interestingly with little politically bits. I think i should see more spike lee. Its a shame clive owen had his face covered up so much though (hotsauce!)

You mean the Inside Man?

Top movie
Oblivia +

An entangled inebriate.

Times thanked
< 305
^^yeah, that, and shame on you for not appreciating the usual suspects, benico, gabriel burn, chaz palimentere, kevin FREAKIN spacey!

Best. Movie. Ever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianwil1976

Good girl.

Rented out Eight Below on saturday night for a bit of easy-on-the-brain feel-good Disney schmaltz. Came away with a huge lump in my throat, a greater respect for Paul Walker as an actor (I know!), and a desire to buy 8 Malamutes and trek across the antarctic on a sled.

Awesome flick...and so damn coot!

My brothers malamute made some puppies (with another malamute) and our house is getting one in a few months!
Flickr
pinkitten +

Times thanked
< 0
^^ I said I didn't really enjoy the movie, never criticised the actors. And I have promised to re-watch it when I am not half asleep.

Lucky you - puppy
BMoney +

What's on YOUR mind?

Times thanked
< 1,088

Quote:

Then today i went back to the video shop, hit up the 2 overnights and 4 weeklies for $12 again:
Broken Flowers
Waiting (its about wait staff, looks shit)
The Virgin Suicides
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Blue Velvet
and some flick called Better Luck Next Time, which seemed to be in the foregin section simply because it had asians on the cover but appears to be in english and an mtv film.

Oh and the week before last i got dead man and y tu mama tambien, and a stack more, but thats enough for now. Being between jobs aint all bad, although i am sure the video shop folks are sick of the sight of me.

Broken Flowers = Good, as to is Dead Man - Jarmusch is awesome.
Virgin Suicides = Good - Sophia Copolla - awesome
Butch Cassidy - Great old time flick and a classic
Blue Velvet - Get ready for one of Lynch's best - You'll never look at Dennis Hopper the same way again!

Quote:

People need to learn how fucking dance rather then playing with there phones rocking side to side

ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 13,110

Quote:

My brothers malamute made some puppies (with another malamute) and our house is getting one in a few months!

You is be lucky innit!
kaspa_lee +

Times thanked
< 0
Pretty persuasion was good, I thought it was gonna be a stupid bimbo movie
SPOKEYDOKEY +

cephalapod chewing legend

Times thanked
< 2,752
finally got betty blue the other day...not quite sure why i waited so long, smashing...what an introduction to a film

also got ed wood for a rerun...just as funny, with an amusing little extra introduced by johnny depp in angora...was going to say drag, but angora has such a ring to it
Everyone knows your snorkeling is just a cover for transition to Aqua Aerobics.
ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 13,110
March of the Penguins.

I knew it would be good, but it actually surprised me with how well made it was.

Awesome stuff
gymboxer +

Creature Feature

Times thanked
< 0
Great photography, absolutely dreadful script for the narration. I am sure it was written by the Coalition for Family Values.
"Never wrestle with a pig, you both get dirty and the pig likes it."
BMoney +

What's on YOUR mind?

Times thanked
< 1,088

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPOKEYDOKEY

also got ed wood for a rerun...just as funny, with an amusing little extra introduced by johnny depp in angora...was going to say drag, but angora has such a ring to it

I love that one. I love Burton ernie :blush:

Quote:

ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 13,110

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymboxer

Great photography, absolutely dreadful script for the narration. I am sure it was written by the Coalition for Family Values.

You're fast becoming my nemesis...I can see that this will only be settled by a showdown on a burning blimp above Nuremberg.
ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 13,110
Wasn't sure where else to post this, but I had to let y'all know. I was just in JB in the Galeries and they've got a massive DVD sale on, buy 2 get 1 free.

Picked up both Ricky Gervais live shows, Animals and Politics, for 15.98 each and got Devil's Rejects for free.

SHIBBY!
BMoney +

What's on YOUR mind?

Times thanked
< 1,088

Quote:

You're fast becoming my nemesis...I can see that this will only be settled by a showdown on a burning blimp above Nuremberg.

You're still one of my faves yo

Quote:

gymboxer +

Creature Feature

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

i'm just opinionated....
ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 13,110

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymboxer

i'm just opinionated....

Wha...?! Nahhhhhhh!

gymboxer +

Creature Feature

Times thanked
< 0
My DVD/VHS rentals over the last few weeks has consisted of watching a lot of zombie films.

Post-Romero Zombie Films:
Undead
Braindead
Shaun of the Dead
Severed
Omega Man
Resident Evil
Dawn of the Dead (2004 remake)
Night of the Living dead (30 year anniversery edition)

Italian zombie films:
The Beyond
Burial Ground
Zombie Holocaust
City of the Living dead
Zombie Flesh Eaters (AKA Zombie 2)

Older Zombie Films: (just starting these)
White Zombie
I walked with a Zombie

Oblivia +

An entangled inebriate.

Times thanked
< 305
This week I watched 3 colours blue, and thought it dragged and dragged, as well as the unbearable lightness of being, which started of really interesting but then dragged and dragged and dragged. I didnt think it would be possible for anyone to get sick of juliette binoche, but i guess i am. It was weird how daniel day lewis was able to play an attractive man, even though he isnt one. i guess its all about that method acting.

i also watched thunderball, which i think is one of my fav bond films, its when they really started taking the piss out of themselves I wanna rich spectre agent as a guardian, so when bond kills him i can inherit the huge house with sharks in the pool, and secret underwater access, plus bond would totally have me as his main squeeze of the mission.
Flickr
ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 13,110

Quote:

This week I watched 3 colours blue, and thought it dragged and dragged,

Red > Blue > White (IMO)

Got out A History of Violence last weekend. Really enjoyed it. Viggo plays the understated badass soooooo well...!

<3
Evan +

Times thanked
< 0
Word to A History of Violence.

...and while we're on westerns....

Once Upon a Time in the West. Fucking epic. Loved it. The first seen at the train station is perfect, and then the mcbains ranch, and then waystation with Cheyenne, and then.... the whole movie is just fuckin' great.
dancerchick +

Times thanked
< 0
Cellular with Kim Bassinger and Jason Stratham. It gets straight into the action. Not too bad, my only problem is with the over use of the line "Oh my God". 3/5
Charity Begins At Home.
Marshy +

is releasing a book

Times thanked
< 492
History of Violence was awesome - gratuitous violence, but much more importantly - two of the hottest sex scenes I've seen in a mainstream film ever!
pinkitten +

Times thanked
< 0
Shaun of the Dead: loved it, was funny as! Liked the way it seemed like something was always about to happen and then it would cut to something else
onetallpoppy +

mutcity

Times thanked
< 0
shanghai knights and 40 year-old virgin. great sunday night movies
ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 13,110

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshy

History of Violence was awesome - gratuitous violence, but much more importantly - two of the hottest sex scenes I've seen in a mainstream film ever!

Oh man...when she's wearing that cheerleader outfit...

"Shhhh, my parents are in the next room." MINX!
ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 13,110

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkitten

Shaun of the Dead: loved it, was funny as! Liked the way it seemed like something was always about to happen and then it would cut to something else

The Kitten's got taste!
gymboxer +

Creature Feature

Times thanked
< 0
who is who +

maturing

Times thanked
< 5
Not sure if anyone has posted about this movie yet but I rented "Awesome I fucking shot that" a couple of weeks ago. The Beastie Boys giving out 50 cameras to people in the crowd at a Madison Square Garden show to shoot their new DVD. Great tunes, beer runs, bathroom runs, clashes with security, backstage access. Its all there!

Undoubtedly the best music DVD I have ever seen!
Soundcloud

Out now:
Superbreak presents Fromage Disco
Agent 86 - So Hot (w/ Fromage Disco remix)
Supersonic Lovers - My Soul (w/ Fromage Disco remix)
nrjize +

licking dates

Times thanked
< 2,208

Quote:

Originally Posted by who is who

Not sure if anyone has posted about this movie yet but I rented "Awesome I fucking shot that" a couple of weeks ago. The Beastie Boys giving out 50 cameras to people in the crowd at a Madison Square Garden show to shoot their new DVD. Great tunes, beer runs, bathroom runs, clashes with security, backstage access. Its all there!

Ooooer - I nearly picked this up the other day but Hec wanted to watch a proper movie. Will definitely make sure I grab it next time.

Just rented:
Nighty Night season 2 - even more absurd, dark and grotesque than seaosn 1. I love it.
What Have I Done to Deserve This - part of the Almodovar box set. So good as with all his films. I still haven't decided what my favourite is though. I think it may be "All About My Mother"

Hope you're doing well mate. I may have an abletron set to send you v soon
"I theme-dress depending on where I'm going... if I was going to dinner at a Chinese restaurant, I would wear a kimono - it makes it more fun." Kelly Osbourne.

"yeah, i have back problems that i tried to cure with heroin. what of it?"
who is who +

maturing

Times thanked
< 5
An abletron set from Mr Jize? Wicked!

As for Hec, just slap him next time and tell him I recommend it. that should take care of that problem.

I am doing very well thanks mate. melbourne rocks, really can't ask for anything more. Except maybe some sunshine, its cold today!
Soundcloud

Out now:
Superbreak presents Fromage Disco
Agent 86 - So Hot (w/ Fromage Disco remix)
Supersonic Lovers - My Soul (w/ Fromage Disco remix)
onetallpoppy +

mutcity

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by who is who

Undoubtedly the best music DVD I have ever seen!

saw it at the cinema. fucking dope. be prepared for some wobbly cameras though
sickbuoy +

ill floating device

Times thanked
< 106

Quote:

Red > Blue > White (IMO)

to think i'd given up on ever agreeing with you on anything.

will you be showing your face at parklife comic book guy?
i heard you were at meat katie but were too busy bagging out PK on her bad movie taste to say hello.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bism

Already got a Blasian. He knows hip hop, collects sneakers and could probably tell you things about basketball. Not black enough though.

Meester +

Jimmy James

Times thanked
< 0
Watched "Garden State" - again - and it's still awesome. It's perfect with the right company.
And I'm not being funny. I mean no disrespect, but you're a ****. You're a **** now, and you've always been a ****. And the only thing that's going to change is that you're going to be an even bigger ****. Maybe have some more **** kids.
ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 13,110

Quote:

Originally Posted by sickbuoy

to think i'd given up on ever agreeing with you on anything.

Never give up on love, baby.

Quote:

i heard you were at meat katie but were too busy bagging out PK on her bad movie taste to say hello.

I was actually too busy wanting to kill the promoters to do anything!

Unfortunately, I'm journeying to our nation's capital this weekend to assist Mummy Wilson in a good ol' spring clean. You kids enjoy yourself, though, ya hear?
BMoney +

What's on YOUR mind?

Times thanked
< 1,088

Quote:

Never give up on love, baby.

I was actually too busy wanting to kill the promoters to do anything!

Unfortunately, I'm journeying to our nation's capital this weekend to assist Mummy Wilson in a good ol' spring clean. You kids enjoy yourself, though, ya hear?

IAN IS CUMMING TO CANBERRA!!!!!!? Dude are you planning to be out and about during your trip to our pornographic capital?? Freeform5 are playing on Friday night and I was gonna buss' along to that!!

pm me.

Quote:

ewokie +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

I tend to watch a lot of DVDz and catch up on heaps of them all at once.

This last weekend I watched:

Taxi (soooooooo bad)
Spanglish (brilliant)
Bad Santa (funny ha ha ha and a swearing midget!!)
Girl Next Door (better than I thought)

And I scored a free copy of SAW!!!

What have you hired recently????

Girl Next Door
Oblivia +

An entangled inebriate.

Times thanked
< 305

Quote:

IAN IS CUMMING TO CANBERRA!!!!!!? Dude are you planning to be out and about during your trip to our pornographic capital?? Freeform5 are playing on Friday night and I was gonna buss' along to that!!

pm me.

Pfft, sif you wouldnt be at cutchemist, or manshandies, or both.

I watched the new world yesterday, and it was poo. It was like watching grass grow, cept with colin farrel and batman to perve on.

Then i finally got round to seeing city of god, which was hells impresive, and i think deserving of the hype.
Flickr
Plankton +

Times thanked
< 8
Lord of The Flies.- Distrubing but classic.

A Thousand Paper Clips- Doco about making a holocaust memorial in Tennessee. Great story, poorly made. I mean a voice over halfway through a survivors speech? Too much Thankgod we live in America, cause its so great. Dont watch it.
I wish I were an artist.
to live in dark corners of beautiful cities.
music to coat my ears and beat my heart.
passion, love and splatters of paint.
coffee cups, cobble stones and soft clouds of smoke.
There is so much beauty in this world.
ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 13,110

Quote:

I watched the new world yesterday, and it was poo. It was like watching grass grow, cept with colin farrel and batman to perve on.

I'm fascinated by Native Americans and the story, and the cast is superb, so I really want to check this out.
BMoney +

What's on YOUR mind?

Times thanked
< 1,088
Lemme summarise the history for you Ian:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Native Americans

Welcome!

Quote:

Originally Posted by British

EEeehhhhwwrgh We're British and You're not, so therefore your land is now ours. Begin the slaughter!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Native Americans

D'oh

Quote:

Originally Posted by British

HaHA Victory is ours!! Now let's dance around and ban mirrors so we don't have too see how ugly we are!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent John Smith

We've been after you for some time now...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahantas

My hantas is infected, thanks to Mr Smith!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent John Smith

'Agent' Smith to you baby...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahantas

You all look the same to me

But seriously, I love Native American history/mythology etc too. I've got Cherokee Indian blood in my family.

Lost World looks okay, but very long from what I've read, it's a Terrance Mallik film? If I remember right, so it'll be vveeeeerry long.

Quote:

ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 13,110

Quote:

But seriously, I love Native American history/mythology etc too. I've got Cherokee Indian blood in my family.

Mate, I've been fascinated for years...my bookshelf is full of stuff. Black Elk Speaks, Neither Wolf Nor Dog, God is Red, Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee, 500 Nations, etc etc.

My Mum says she thinks I hunted buffalo in a previous life
BMoney +

What's on YOUR mind?

Times thanked
< 1,088
read Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee. Awesome book. When you come down, I'll have to show you my Indian Arrowhead I found near my Grandpa's farm.

Arrowheads could be found all over the US, when I was young, but I think since then (with more and more people finding them etc) They now have to be submitted to State heritage/historical societys or summing.

Quote:

Oblivia +

An entangled inebriate.

Times thanked
< 305
I am reading zorro by isobel allende at the moment, and it has heaps about his indian herritage in it, it kinda interesting stuff. I can see myself getting more into it.
Flickr
nrjize +

licking dates

Times thanked
< 2,208

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plankton

A Thousand Paper Clips- Doco about making a holocaust memorial in Tennessee. Great story, poorly made. I mean a voice over halfway through a survivors speech? Too much Thankgod we live in America, cause its so great. Dont watch it.

I picked this up on Sunday and after reading the blurb thought it could go in two directions. I'm glad I put it back on the shelf and picked up "Nighty Night" instead.
"I theme-dress depending on where I'm going... if I was going to dinner at a Chinese restaurant, I would wear a kimono - it makes it more fun." Kelly Osbourne.

"yeah, i have back problems that i tried to cure with heroin. what of it?"
ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 13,110

Quote:

read Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee. Awesome book. When you come down, I'll have to show you my Indian Arrowhead I found near my Grandpa's farm.

Arrowheads could be found all over the US, when I was young, but I think since then (with more and more people finding them etc) They now have to be submitted to State heritage/historical societys or summing.

Mate, that's awesome

I can't recommend Black Elk Speaks highly enough...it's the true account of Black Elk, medicine man of the Lakota Oglala Sioux tribe that was slaughtered at Wounded Knee, as told to John G Neihardt, the historian.

There's a free online version here.
pinkitten +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by sickbuoy

rofl

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meester

Watched "Garden State" - again - and it's still awesome. It's perfect with the right company.

sarahsmiles +

Times thanked
< 0
Notting Hill is always a good one.
Every little girl knows about love. It is only her capacity to suffer because of it that increases.
Closed thread

« Previous Thread Next Thread »